Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 20:06   #346

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

It is not surprising that we have Hector DCTs in the secondary market. I have a DCT having moved in Nov from i20 petrol. Mentally, I was prepared for a sub 10 figure on mileage as i20 returned closed to 13 and Creta automatic which o drove for some time returned between 9 and 10.

What I realised is the Hector mileage depended a lot on how you drive. While I do love putting the metal to the floor every now and then, I mostly enjoy a sedate drive while listening to the songs. Yes the driving dynamics due to high CoG are not great, but driving in the city or highway is comfortable. Never had a scary moment and the customer service has been steady.

On an average, the car gives me 8.5 when driving in city full time. Below is the snapshot on average.

Over the last two weeks, I have made multiple trips to Delhi from Gurgaon and back and I am running at an average of 13 kmpl.

The jury ofcourse on the long term consistency is still out, but it is been a pretty smooth road until now.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Hector : Official Review-screenshot_20200826200337__01.jpg  

Blackjack is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 17:12   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

The jury ofcourse on the long term consistency is still out, but it is been a pretty smooth road until now.
I agree, I have had the hector from the last 11 months, and have driven about 8k kms (barely 2k kms in the past 5 months due to lockdown).

Ive consistently gotten ~10kmpl in city conditions (Noida-Faridabad / Delhi-Faridabad / Delhi-Noida) in mixed B2B conditions as well as open stretches.

No rattles/quality issues till now, the after sales service continues to WOW.
dhruvwali is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 22:37   #348
Senior - BHPian

Clocked 13k kms yesterday, 8 months done and it's been a pretty solid run. I'm getting a mileage of 17.5-18 kmpl - Daily Faridabad to Gurgaon runs. City mileage dips to 14.5 types. No complaints.

The Fiat 2.0 Diesel is one reliable engine and I think they've done a good job with the tuning. No rattles or niggles yet.

Customer service remains top notch. A level I've not experienced even with Honda or Toyota.

Will be doing a longer writeup post the 15k service.
coolkurt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:04   #349
Senior - BHPian

MG Motor India today reported a 41.28 per cent jump in retail sales to 2,851 units in August 2020.

This is the highest monthly sales reported by MG Motor India since Jan 2020, when they posted over 3k units.

Source
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 16:13   #350
Senior - BHPian

MG Motor India officially launched the special anniversary edition of the Hector based on the Super trim. The limited-edition is offered in both petrol and diesel version, with prices starting at Rs. 13.63 lakh (ex-showroom, India). The diesel version is priced from Rs. 14.99 lakh (ex-showroom India). Notably, the prices of the special edition are same as the regular model based on the Super trim.

MG Hector : Official Review-smartselect_20200907161310_chrome.jpg

The MG Hector special anniversary edition model now comes loaded with additional features like wireless mobile charger, air purifier, a Medklinn in-car kit and 26.4cm display screen.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/mg-h...3-lakh-2291668

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th September 2020 at 16:18.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 23:42   #351
BHPian

Did 2 inter state trips to hometown in Jammu (from Noida) and back in past couple of months.

Hector gives a very smooth drive, negligible fatigue (this is from a person who gets fatigued in cars very easily), AC is a chiller and power is adequate even for highways..

Though the gear shift lag is a tad annoying , can't do anything about that. Got max 17kmpl during a smooth 100km stretch. And average 12kmpl over 1300kms (65kmph avg speed).

Till now at 10k kms has been a majorly niggle free drive.

Got the 10k service completed, have AMC so cost was 0. They also changed spark plugs, tow hooks as advised in warranty. MG service delights as always.

All companies should offer AMC packages , it makes these routines costs negligible (if not 0).

One year down the line I am very happy with the car. The initial criticism and apprehension about this 'Chinese car' proved to be false.

I remember initially people on this thread giving such frivolous reasons to not buy this car like 'who will maintain panaromic sunroof', 'they can hear sounds from sunroof', dead engine, long term reliability of Chinese cars etc etc.

And when I now read the harrier threads they're all full of niggles and complaints. Glad I went the Hector way.

Last edited by dhruvwali : 18th September 2020 at 23:43.
dhruvwali is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 00:04   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Got max 17kmpl during a smooth 100km stretch. And average 12kmpl over 1300kms (65kmph avg speed).

Got the 10k service completed, have AMC so cost was 0. They also changed spark plugs, tow hooks as advised in warranty. MG service delights as always.
Thats nice mileage for a car this size. You must be doing something right in your driving style. Why were the spark plugs changed within 10k kms?
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 00:13   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Thats nice mileage for a car this size. You must be doing something right in your driving style. Why were the spark plugs changed within 10k kms?
I had reported minor jerkiness / engine miss slightly when accelerating, and suspected spark plug issue possibly. Had heard they were changing it for other cars too.

Honestly haven't felt any difference though the jerkiness might be road undulations (it's VERY minor).
dhruvwali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 23:34   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Did 2 inter state trips to hometown in Jammu (from Noida) and back in past couple of months.
This is brilliant and great to hear. TBH, I would be more than happy to get that kind of mileage. Don't think I expect more.

A couple of questions:
1) How did the DCT behave on the uphills? That experience still remains unknown to me, hopefully I get a flavor in October when I go to the north.
2) How was the braking and forward roll on hills?

A couple of my observations:
1) Sunroof sun protection is superb. With the heat being oppressive over the last 15 days, I realise the sunroof is adequately sun filmed. That apprehension is taken care of now.
2) I did experience the jerks, especially when accelerating from 60 odd at higher gear to 90 odd. With the change in spark plugs, that has vanished. However the reason the service folks gave me as better average

Last edited by Sheel : 24th September 2020 at 18:15. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 21st September 2020, 10:39   #355
BHPian

There are some 30 Hectors on sale in MH alone on OLX. Including diesel ones. Not sure why so many are up for sell. And this is true for Seltos as well.
Looks suspicious.

Last edited by StepUP! : 21st September 2020 at 10:40.
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:58   #356
BHPian

Just in case if anyone is contemplating about Hector's build quality, please watch below video.

This accident occurred at a speed of 120 kmph and all 4 passengers are safe. The vehicle is totalled out and was dragged around 20 feet on sunroof and yet it was sturdy. Good going by MG. I wish they got it GNCAP rating as well. It would be good selling point.

On a different note, I don't own an MG Hector
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:43   #357
Senior - BHPian

I've heard from the service folks that the newer batch of cars are coming with better holding glue for the "internet inside" badging, since there were a few complaints of the letters falling off over time.

It's a pity. I was actually hoping to lose the ones on mine
coolkurt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:04   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I've heard from the service folks that the newer batch of cars are coming with better holding glue for the "internet inside" badging, since there were a few complaints of the letters falling off over time.

It's a pity. I was actually hoping to lose the ones on mine
Subtlety is an art and Brashness is commerce.
Old 25th September 2020, 08:25   #359
Senior - BHPian

I had mailed a query regarding the updates to the infotainment and the mobile app for the Hector on Pulse hub. I'd also raised a complaint regarding the range indicator not working when there's low fuel - the one situation that it should definitely show the Range. I got a prompt reply.

Quote:
We would also like to inform you that there is no official update for the introduction of i-SMART 2.0 and MAPMYINDIA for MG Hector, as of now.
They also said they'll be calling me for feedback on the range indicator issue.
Old 25th September 2020, 09:26   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I had mailed a query regarding the updates to the infotainment and the mobile app for the Hector on Pulse hub. I'd also raised a complaint regarding the range indicator not working when there's low fuel - the one situation that it should definitely show the Range. I got a prompt reply.

They also said they'll be calling me for feedback on the range indicator issue.
So Hector will not get the mapmyindia update? Sounds weird, when the app is already updated with mapmyindia. It would be a travesty if the TomTom crap is not replaced with the new one. I was happy that MG heard the feedback on TomTom, but hey, perhaps not
Blackjack is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks