Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 14:36   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Such a sad day for Indian Auto. The two largest manufacturing heavyweights (Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai-Kia), which sell over three quarters of all cars in India, faring so poorly in crash tests. The Ignis with a zero rating, the Grand i10 Nios with a two star rating, and the Seltos barely making it to 3 stars.
Just to clarify-Its the SPresso that has Zero stars. Ignis has not been tested for India GNCAP.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:00   #1502
BHPian

See the 3 star GNCAP rating mentioned as the first point in Cons. Kudos to the mods for the swift update.

Also, this is the right way too look at the safety result. "Barely managed 3-stars in the GNCAP crash tests" sounds much better than the KIA PR department approved "borderline unstable" comment that the usual run of mill Indian automotive channels have been touting.
JithinR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 17:23   #1503
Senior - BHPian

I am actually not surprised. Hyundai India has been notorious for providing gizmo-filled unsafe cars in India (along with market leader Maruti). That formula has worked big time; so, no wonder Kia is using the same proven formula.

Here is the crash test by ANCAP for Australian version of the Seltos where it received 5 star rating
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...691936791.html

So, Kia (just like Hyundai) is deliberately cheating Indians by compromising the most important aspect of the car - SAFETY. Unfortunately, I don't see this attitude of manufacturers changing any time soon unless the govt brings in strict regulations around crash test and safety ratings. There is extremely poor awareness about safety in Indians; it might be improving but at an extremely slow pace. Just last weekend, while driving on the wonderful Hyderabad Outer Ring Road, one moron allowed his kid to stand and put his head out through the sunroof while driving at 120+ kmph. No wonder Hyundai, Maruti and Kia are killing it.

This is the reason I appreciate some manufactures who don't seem to be compromising on safety like - Tata, Honda, Toyota and VW/Skoda. Even their cheapest offering have proven to be relatively safe. But, people compare the features and conclude that they are not value-for-money.

Last edited by adimicra : 13th November 2020 at 17:25.
adimicra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 13:38   #1504
BHPian

Seltos accident at KIA showroom
Sad to see a brand new car in this shape.
Similar incidence last year at Navi Mumbai.
Link
Kia Seltos : Official Review-kiaseltosdeliverycrash2696x469.jpg
That's another way to be in news and get the crash test result locally
gjnnbagal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 21:34   #1505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokuljayaraj View Post
... I don’t see the brochure mentioning six airbags in any HT line variant unfortunately. The Kia brochure is useless with no tabular feature comparison available. ...
Kia's official website provides a tabular comparison of all features across all variants.

https://www.kia.com/in/our-vehicles/...are-trims.html
sanj47900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 22:01   #1506

Recently got a Seltos GTX+DCT and the GNCAP rating is definitely a blow. Wanted to know if anyone else is hearing a noise (sounds like a hissing sound from the speakers) inside the cabin. It comes in occassionaly and I cant recreate it. Somedays its their when I start the car and drive around and on some days its not. Today I had driven the car for around 200kms and their was no hissing sound. I reached home, parked the car but later had to start again for moving it a bit ahead, I could hear the sound then. I tried switching off the AV, disconnecting bluetooth etc but still the sound persists. Any ideas?
Old 15th November 2020, 23:37   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterhak View Post
Wanted to know if anyone else is hearing a noise (sounds like a hissing sound from the speakers) inside the cabin. It comes in occassionaly and I cant recreate it. Somedays its their when I start the car and drive around and on some days its not. Today I had driven the car for around 200kms and their was no hissing sound. I reached home, parked the car but later had to start again for moving it a bit ahead,
That's most probably your smart air purifier at work. If it's set on Auto mode, it's fan works at a higher speed setting at the start before it settles down to the lowest speed. Next time you hear the sound, try switching off the purifier and see if the hiss disappears. You could also manually set a higher fan speed of the purifier and check if it's the same hissing you're talking about.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 15th November 2020 at 23:48.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 18:19   #1508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
That's most probably your smart air purifier at work. If it's set on Auto mode, it's fan works at a higher speed setting at the start before it settles down to the lowest speed. Next time you hear the sound, try switching off the purifier and see if the hiss disappears. You could also manually set a higher fan speed of the purifier and check if it's the same hissing you're talking about.
Tried switching the air purifier on and off and that sound is a bit different, the sound which I hear seems to be coming from the speakers. Its similar to the one which you hear when you connect an amp to a speaker. I couldnt hear the sound today. Let me see when it comes back. The problem seems to be very simple but is very annoying to say the least. I will be giving my car for the first service/checkup in a few days, will check with the service advisor.
alterhak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 20:46   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
If you are not getting any discounts, better go for 2021 model as prices shall be more or less same for the month of January (unless Kia updates the Seltos 2021 range).
I am curious what is the difference in 2020 model registered in 2021 vs. 2021 Jan model registered in 2021? Does this impact resale? I'm asking because I am also considering getting a car in first week of Jan which will be registered in 2021 but most probably will be 2020 model. From resale perspective, isn't the year of registration that is more important?
Old 16th November 2020, 21:11   #1510
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
Does this impact resale?
A little bit depending on how the buyer at that time accepts this fact. Just an example; if the year of manufacture and year of registration is not same, he may assume that you had got good discounts and may stick to a lower price.

At the same time, some people just don't consider the month of registration. They just keep looking at the year of registration. So for example; even though a december 2020 registration is just a month older than a january 2021 registration, many people will just see 2020, 2021 and be like, 'Oh! 1 year difference'.

Quote:
From resale perspective, isn't the year of registration that is more important?
It used to be that way when the general public and dealers did not know how to decode the VIN. Forget decoding, many did not even know what VIN was.

Nowadays as it is very easy to find out the date of manufacture using the VIN, more and more number of people are giving preference to the year of manufacture than the date of registration.

The date of registration still holds value when you have to calculate other things like tax validity, age restrictions etc.

Last edited by OSH : 16th November 2020 at 21:25.
Old 16th November 2020, 21:50   #1511
BHPian

Confused between the manual and DCT variant of the Seltos 1.4 Turbo. Don't mind paying the additional premium for the auto-box but a bit apprehensive about the dry clutch overheating and failure issues. Has this been resolved by Kia?
Old 16th November 2020, 23:37   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
From resale perspective, isn't the year of registration that is more important?
The year of registration is not taken into consideration for calculating depreciation. Its the month and year of manufacture that is taken into consideration (since that is what dictates the model year of that car).

For those who wish to keep the car for a decade or longer, it is wiser to go for discounts rather than counting year of manufacture. Especially if the discount is large.

For those who wish to keep the car for 5 years or lesser, it is better to go for Jan manufactured model.

If there are no discounts on a car, I'd prefer a Jan manufactured car anyday unless car prices are going to be jacked up on 1st January.

Reason for buying January manufactured car: A car's RC mentions the car's month and year of manufacture as the model year rather than the month and year of purchase. A car manufactured in December 2020 but purchased in January 2021 will still be mentioned as a 2020 model in the RC and will attract higher depreciation. So, not beneficial for those keeping the car for only few years.

An interesting example:
In December 2013, a struggling brand like Fiat was offering 1 lac discount on Punto. The base variant of punto diesel (Rs 5.8 lacs ex showroom in those times) sold for a mouthwatering Rs 4.8 lacs ex-showroom. Thats Alto, Wagon-R price territory.
Maruti Dzire on the other hand had a total discount offer ranging from 5k to 10k.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 16th November 2020 at 23:39.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 00:26   #1513
BHPian

Thanks, that makes sense. However, I don't think Seltos will be on discount in December..
Old 17th November 2020, 06:55   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Confused between the manual and DCT variant of the Seltos 1.4 Turbo. Don't mind paying the additional premium for the auto-box but a bit apprehensive about the dry clutch overheating and failure issues. Has this been resolved by Kia?
Has it been resolved by Kia?-Yes and No. Seltos owners would comment better, but I was told by the salesperson that they made some software updates , but the problem can arise and is mentioned in the user manual. This necessitates the practice of putting the car in N at traffic stops. If you dont want to worry too much about this and are comfortable with the manual, go for it. It will offer the same performance and feature set from the DCT 1.4 Turbo, minus the traction modes which arent too useful anyway. You also save some money in the process.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 17th November 2020 at 06:56.
Old 17th November 2020, 11:29   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
If you enjoy driving long distance on highways, please go for a Seltos or Creta over Honda City. I sold my City and got a Creta diesel last month. Did a couple of highway trips recently, and I can perceive the difference in the ride quality and performance at highway speeds over the Honda City. The City is fast, of course, but the Creta feels more at ease than the Honda in the 80-120 kph regime. Undulations and potholes do not bother it as much as it did to the Honda, especially making rear pax uncomfortable. The Seltos is likely to handle a wee-bit tighter, but then those are marginal situations.
While the space and the boot capacity of the Honda is a bit superior,Its not a huge advantage for those who dont need that much space. The increased ground clearance of the Seltos/Creta is likely to be more useful practically speaking.
Thanks fhdowntheline. My running is 80/20 split between city/highway respectively. Was your City 4th Gen? I have read that Honda has tuned up the suspension for the 5th Gen City reducing the vertical bounce for rear passengers at high speeds. Since my ownership period is 8 to 10 years, so space and boot will matter in the long run. Increased ground clearance is beneficial to some extent but the premium for it over Honda City is too high. It's a tricky decision. Fingers crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks