Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 12:35   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Thanks fhdowntheline. My running is 80/20 split between city/highway respectively. Was your City 4th Gen? I have read that Honda has tuned up the suspension for the 5th Gen City reducing the vertical bounce for rear passengers at high speeds. Since my ownership period is 8 to 10 years, so space and boot will matter in the long run. Increased ground clearance is beneficial to some extent but the premium for it over Honda City is too high. It's a tricky decision. Fingers crossed.
You cant go wrong with the Honda City as a "car". Mine was the 4th gen City- I doubt there are huge changes to the suspension geometry. The wheel size is still the same. If you go for the City, you may want to consider changing the tyres to 195/55/R16. Points against City/in favour of the Korean twins:

i) given the atrocious road conditions , you are probably better off with higher ground clearance.
ii) Dont know how old you are or some of your family members, but ease of ingress-egress also matters as one gets along in the years. This will be so much better in the Seltos/Creta than the City.
iii) Seltos/Creta are quite a bit shorter in length (albeit slightly wider) than the City (4.31m vs 4.54m). Helps in parking/reversing.
iv) Seltos/Creta offer 60/40 split for boot space if needed.
v) Infotainment systems (if you care at all about them) are superior to the City.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 17th November 2020 at 12:44.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:53   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Was your City 4th Gen? I have read that Honda has tuned up the suspension for the 5th Gen City reducing the vertical bounce for rear passengers at high speeds.
As a 4th Gen City owner and now a Seltos owner, I'll add a few points I observed.
Do keep in mind I am comparing a 6 year old City to a 6 day old Seltos

The City's 1.5 NA is superior as compared to the Seltos 1.5 NA. City sounds sporty, Seltos sounds like an appliance.

I find the manual gearbox in the City to be a lot slicker as compared to the one in the Seltos.

Both cars are equally good/bad for seating 3 in the back even though the Seltos is a bit wider.

Sound Insulation is waaay better in the Seltos at higher speeds but in traffic, I can hear less of honks and truck engines in the City as it has a much thicker glass I'm guessing.

Suspension damping is much better in the Seltos and is quieter too. I felt both cars are equally stable upto 120 but the Seltos feels like it's more at ease because of the quieter damping.

Body roll is a lot more in the Seltos.

My grandfather finds it easier to sit in the Seltos because he doesn't have to bend much to get in but my grandmother prefers the City as she has trouble lifting her legs.

I prefer the backseat of the City over the Seltos as it has a better recline, better cushioning, more space and the rear vents have more AC throw.
The inbuilt Sunshade is a nifty feature though in the Seltos and a godsend in our weather.

Infotainment is a lot better in the Seltos than even the 5th gen city and the speakers have decent bass also.

Rust is a real issue on the City if you don't take care.

My friend who has a 5th gen City as well as a 4th Gen said the suspension is much more improved now. Equally I must add that he also found the suspension better on my Seltos than his 5th Gen city.

Overall I feel the City is a much better mechanical package but it's hard to overlook the advantages the Seltos/Creta twins offer. On the other hand it is also hard to ignore the ncap result ( I took delivery of the car a day before the Ncap results) and I feel the City will score better considering the erstwhile Mobilio scored 3 Stars.

Take a test drive of both the cars back to back on the same road and pick your evil

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 17th November 2020 at 13:55.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:08   #1518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post
As a 4th Gen City owner and now a Seltos owner, I'll add a few points I observed.
Do keep in mind I am comparing a 6 year old City to a 6 day old Seltos

Take a test drive of both the cars back to back on the same road and pick your evil
Now that the Seltos and Creta do not have any options below the 10 lakh mark other than the barebones Seltos HTE Petrol and Creta E Petrol, Honda has an opportunity to move in offering the 5th Generation City with an SV trim priced at 9.99 lakhs. I think given how loaded the current base V model, a few features can be sacrificed while still giving a fairly loaded car. That would set the cat among the pigeons and shake up the compact SUV, mid-size SUV, and executive Sedan segments.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 19:16   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post

i) given the atrocious road conditions , you are probably better off with higher ground clearance.
ii) Dont know how old you are or some of your family members, but ease of ingress-egress also matters as one gets along in the years. This will be so much better in the Seltos/Creta than the City.
iii) Seltos/Creta are quite a bit shorter in length (albeit slightly wider) than the City (4.31m vs 4.54m). Helps in parking/reversing.
iv) Seltos/Creta offer 60/40 split for boot space if needed.
v) Infotainment systems (if you care at all about them) are superior to the City.
Thanks fhdowntheline Yes, changing tires to 195/55/R16 is on cards if I go with City.
i) Slight advantage over City.
ii) I am 37 so haven't had ingress/egress issues yet. My father drives a Honda Jazz and doesnt have any issues getting in/out of his car, so I am assuming he won't have issues with City. My in laws plan to buy Sonet soon as they have faced this issue with their 1st Gen fluidic Verna which was horribly low even for my comfort.
iii) Agreed. This may be a positive for me given my tight parking corner spot.
iv) May be an advantage though I prefer the traditional boot like the one City has since there is a clear separation.
v) Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post

Overall I feel the City is a much better mechanical package but it's hard to overlook the advantages the Seltos/Creta twins offer. On the other hand it is also hard to ignore the ncap result ( I took delivery of the car a day before the Ncap results) and I feel the City will score better considering the erstwhile Mobilio scored 3 Stars.

Thanks Pratyush2407 for the comparison and the feedback. I have sat in the rear seat of the Seltos and Creta and found them a bit lesser on the space compared to the City.

My recent concern is around the safety ratings. Seltos received 3 stars and my guess is given the production efficiencies that Hyundai-Kia share, I won't be surprised if Creta receives a similar rating too. On the other hand, City scored 5 stars in ASEAN ratings and may return a similar or 4 stars in GNCAP.
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 13:11   #1520
pms
BHPian

Safety ratings of Seltos is a big blow, was always in awe of the product offerings from the Korean twins. All of this looks like a facade now with core safety not taken care. I was torn between Seltos/Creta against Skoda Karoq, major issue being hefty premium the German maker demanded. Felt the latest Hyundai twins as value for money until this safety results came out! Its an eye-opener for all Indian consumers to be aware & pay more attention to vehicle safety than the bling/features especially in our sort of driving conditions. Believe T-BHP reviews will include clear write up on GNCAP tests and available ratings for the cars going ahead. Hope Kia/Hyundai/MS improve safety aspects of the cars they sell in India and come out with better crash test results.

Last edited by pms : 18th November 2020 at 13:13.
pms is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 14:54   #1521
BHPian

Kia India has issued a recall for all diesel Seltos' manufactured between October 1st, 2019 and March 15th, 2020 due to faulty fuel pumps. Link to article - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zig...68/%3fis_amp=1
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 15:47   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Kia India has issued a recall for all diesel Seltos' manufactured between October 1st, 2019 and March 15th, 2020 due to faulty fuel pumps.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-campaign.html (Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign)
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 10:11   #1523

I feel the night visibility isn't adequate with the factory fitted LED lights (in my GTX+ Diesel auto).

Has anyone replaced their LED headlights?
What would be a good alternative?
Does this replacement void warranty ?
Old 19th November 2020, 10:26   #1524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCommando View Post
I feel the night visibility isn't adequate with the factory fitted LED lights (in my GTX+ Diesel auto).

Has anyone replaced their LED headlights?
What would be a good alternative?
Does this replacement void warranty ?
There's no way to upgrade or replace LED's.

And what is worse is that higher end models have LED fog lights which are also poor and you can't even upgrade them as they are 3 element fogs unique to the Seltos.

Basically there is absolutely no upgrade option for Seltos LED's.

If you have the lower variant with the halogen projectors, all you need to do is get HID kit and you have better lights than the GTX+.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 10:35   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you have the lower variant with the halogen projectors, all you need to do is get HID kit and you have better lights than the GTX+.
Or, maybe, he could get a pair of headlights belonging to the lower spec trims and fit Xenons or better LEDs? That, or aux lights.
Old 19th November 2020, 10:44   #1526
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Or, maybe, he could get a pair of headlights belonging to the lower spec trims and fit Xenons or better LEDs? That, or aux lights.
Yes that is possible but I am not sure if wiring connectors are same for LED variant vs halogen ones.

Aux lights just spoil the front look so I usually dont recommend.

The lower HTK trim has the perfect combo and even the placement is little lower than the GTX.
Old 19th November 2020, 11:57   #1527

I am still confused, they are just bulbs sitting in a socket, isn't it? Cant we just buy better led bulbs and plug them in, the way we replace bulbs at home ?
Old 19th November 2020, 12:19   #1528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCommando View Post
I am still confused, they are just bulbs sitting in a socket, isn't it? Cant we just buy better led bulbs and plug them in, the way we replace bulbs at home ?
They are LED's (diodes) soldered onto the PCB that sits inside the headlight housing. It is an array of LED's with multiple reflector elements.

No ways to just swap them out.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 19:30   #1529

Read about a recent accident because of a tyre burst. The Seltos ended up hitting a bike coming in the opposite direction and the guy riding the bike got injured badly.

Ever since there were concerns on the quality of the stock GoodYear tyres, I was contemplating on replacing them. I have had a decent number of long drives and covered 6K Kms so far without any problem. After reading about the recent accident, I have decided to replace them, any thoughts?
MrCommando is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 20:09   #1530
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There's no way to upgrade or replace LED's. And what is worse is that higher end models have LED fog lights which are also poor and you can't even upgrade them as they are 3 element fogs unique to the Seltos.Basically there is absolutely no upgrade option for Seltos LED's.
I have seen a few people replacing the ice cube fog lamps with projector fogs with HIDs
anb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks