Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 15:57   #196
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

I have just today been informed by my dealer, Kun Car Enterprises, Perungudi, Chennai that I have been allotted the car that I had applied for on 11 Oct 2019: the Seltos GTX Plus 1.4 7 DCT Petrol, Intense Red. Since I am still in Australia I am authorising my nephew to collect the car on my behalf

I am being charged the revised 2020 price of 21,13,604 which is the Chennai price.

I have a question for more knowledgeable BHPians. Much appreciate your response. Since I am being charged the 2020 price would I be justified in asking that the VIN number should indicate the year of manufacture to be 2020?

If the VIN Number indicates year of manufacture to be 2019, can I insist on being charged the 2019 price and not the 2020 price?

Here in Australia the previous year's VIN number plate car will be sold at a discounted price. Does the same apply in India also?

Much appreciate an early response since I am planning to make the payment tomorrow.

Thank you. Kind regards,

Vidyadhar
Old 7th January 2020, 16:01   #197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivaji View Post
If the VIN Number indicates year of manufacture to be 2019, can I insist on being charged the 2019 price and not the 2020 price?. Does the same apply in India also?
Prices prevailing at the time of delivery shall be applicable. So whether the car is 2019 or 2020 manufactured, you'll be charged the latest price.

I think, to get a 2020 manufactured car, it may take a month mostly.

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th January 2020 at 16:08.
Old 7th January 2020, 16:14   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Prices prevailing at the time of delivery shall be applicable. So whether the car is 2019 or 2020 manufactured, you'll be charged the latest price.

I think to get 2020 manufactured car, it may take a month mostly.
Thank you, a4anurag for your very prompt response. Much appreciated.

Somehow doesn't feel it is right to charge 2020 price for a car with VIN plate showing year of manufacture to be 2019. But if that is the accepted norm in India I will have to accept it.

I don't want to refuse this car (with 2019 VIN) and wait for a 2020 VIN plate car because I am reaching Chennai on 1st March. I HAVE to have a car by then.
Old 7th January 2020, 16:30   #199
BANNED

Quote:
Somehow doesn't feel it is right to charge 2020 price for a car with VIN plate showing year of manufacture to be 2019.
Do ask your SA to share the VIN against your booking. We can find the exact date of manufacturing.

Deliveries happening now mostly bear the production date between 2nd and 3rd week of December.
Old 7th January 2020, 16:31   #200
BHPian

Quote:

Somehow doesn't feel it is right to charge 2020 price for a car with VIN plate showing year of manufacture to be 2019. But if that is the accepted norm in India I will have to accept it.

I don't want to refuse this car (with 2019 VIN) and wait for a 2020 VIN plate car because I am reaching Chennai on 1st March. I HAVE to have a car by then.
Quote:
I am not sure if this is the expected norm in India. Usually, manufacturers here put out ads for discounts on existing stock and we have seen them offer more discounts for cars from the previous year.

Also, when you decide to sell the car any used car dealer is going to evaluate your car price taking it as 2019 model. So you would be losing out on some amount a few years down the line while your KIA dealer would make some profit since they would have paid the ex showroom price of 2019.

But if you want the car urgently then it's your call and you can choose to ignore it. I believe that the dealer is probably hoping for the same.
Old 7th January 2020, 17:07   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am not sure if this is the expected norm in India. Usually, manufacturers here put out ads for discounts on existing stock and we have seen them offer more discounts for cars from the previous year.

Also, when you decide to sell the car any used car dealer is going to evaluate your car price taking it as 2019 model. So you would be losing out on some amount a few years down the line while your KIA dealer would make some profit since they would have paid the ex showroom price of 2019.

But if you want the car urgently then it's your call and you can choose to ignore it. I believe that the dealer is probably hoping for the same.
Thanks for your input JithinR.

I was wondering, isn't there a legal requirement on this point? How can a dealer sell a 2019 VIN plate car at 2020 prices?

Yes, I understand the point about getting a lower selling price for a 2019 VIN place car as against a 2020 one.

KIA sold only 4000 odd cars last month while in November they sold more than 7000. I get a feeling, either KIA or the dealer, deliberately held back some deliveries so that they could be sold at a higher price in 2020. Not an ethical thing to do.
Old 7th January 2020, 17:11   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering, isn't there a legal requirement on this point? How can a dealer sell a 2019 VIN plate car at 2020 prices?
There is - in favor of the dealer. He has already stated in the terms of conditions of the sale, that prices applicable at the time of delivery shall be applicable.
Old 7th January 2020, 17:16   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There is - in favor of the dealer. He has already stated in the terms of conditions of the sale, that prices applicable at the time of delivery shall be applicable.
Thank you, condor. I suppose I'll just have to accept it. No other option.
Old 7th January 2020, 17:46   #204

Guys, one issue about voice command I am facing. I had seen in a review that if i say 'I am feeling cold', the AC temperature is increased by 2 degrees and vice versa if i say 'I am feeling hot'. However, in my car, when i give either of the commands, it only says 'turning air conditioner on' and turns it on. If it is already on when i give the command, it says the same thing but takes no action. I had also read that we can ask to set the AC to a certain temperature. None of these commands are working for me. Anyone facing similar issues? TIA.
Old 7th January 2020, 18:14   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
KIA sold only 4000 odd cars last month while in November they sold more than 7000. I get a feeling, either KIA or the dealer, deliberately held back some deliveries so that they could be sold at a higher price in 2020. Not an ethical thing to do.
Sold or dispatched? I don't think KIA reports retail numbers. The numbers are counts dispatched from OEM. So while it may be lower, it would have no bearing on the theory about holding back stocks I think. Of course the theory may still be true, but these numbers don't support that claim as such.
Old 7th January 2020, 18:42   #206
BHPian

Could be the result of huge discounts being given on Creta variants the reason for less sales do Seltos, as the numbers of Creta,s being sold has shown considerable improvement.
Old 7th January 2020, 18:57   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No use of buying 2019 cars in 2020 that too at current prices. Demand 2020 manufactured year car as when it's time to sell, manufacturing year will definitely define the selling price. Just stick with your decision, they might tell that you will lose your slot.

I believe, lower dispatches in December might be to sell the least 2019 cars in December/ January and they may not even have 2019 cars left. No one stops producing 2020 cars in 2019 as long as those are not invoiced to dealers, so we might see a super bumper dispatch in this month by Kia
Old 7th January 2020, 20:01   #208
BHPian

Quote:
I had been to check out the vehicle in one of the Mumbai showroom last Saturday where the sales guy informed me about the price hike and told me that the inventory for 2019 has already been exhausted across India (except for maybe display vehicles in some showrooms). He said customers receiving their cars in 2020 will be same year manufactured but will have to pay the hiked prices even though they had booked it last year. Going by the news reports and sales chart, I guess it might be true and you might be allocated a 2020 manufactured vehicle.
T.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 21:02   #209
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose I'll just have to accept it. No other option.
You do have an option.

If the Car allotted to you happens to be 2019 manufactured, tell your SA that you are passing the vehicle, as you are interested in buying a 2020 vehicle. As such you are out of country and can afford to wait for a few more weeks.
Trident is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 05:58   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Sold or dispatched? I don't think KIA reports retail numbers. The numbers are counts dispatched from OEM. So while it may be lower, it would have no bearing on the theory about holding back stocks I think. Of course the theory may still be true, but these numbers don't support that claim as such.
Reinhard, the number of Seltos SOLD in Dec was only 4000 odd while in the month of Nov it was more than 7000.

There is a YouTube video in Hindi that comes out in the first week of every month that gives the figures for the most sold SUVs for the month. In those videos the exact figures that were sold was mentioned.

This is the one for Dec 2019:

If you Google search you will find the one for Nov 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
No use of buying 2019 cars in 2020 that too at current prices. Demand 2020 manufactured year car as when it's time to sell, manufacturing year will definitely define the selling price. Just stick with your decision, they might tell that you will lose your slot.

I believe, lower dispatches in December might be to sell the least 2019 cars in December/ January and they may not even have 2019 cars left. No one stops producing 2020 cars in 2019 as long as those are not invoiced to dealers, so we might see a super bumper dispatch in this month by Kia
Thank you Turbanator for your response. I have sent a message to my SA voicing my concern about the year of manufacture of the car being allotted to me. I have asked him to confirm that it is a 2020 manufactured one and explained the reason for my concern. Let's see what he says. I'll take it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
I had been to check out the vehicle in one of the Mumbai showroom last Saturday where the sales guy informed me about the price hike and told me that the inventory for 2019 has already been exhausted across India (except for maybe display vehicles in some showrooms). He said customers receiving their cars in 2020 will be same year manufactured but will have to pay the hiked prices even though they had booked it last year. Going by the news reports and sales chart, I guess it might be true and you might be allocated a 2020 manufactured vehicle.
T.S. I wish and hope what you say is correct. My concern in being offered a 2019 plated car at 2020 prices will be laid to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
You do have an option.

If the Car allotted to you happens to be 2019 manufactured, tell your SA that you are passing the vehicle, as you are interested in buying a 2020 vehicle. As such you are out of country and can afford to wait for a few more weeks.
Trident, you have a very valid point there.

I have sent a message to my SA to confirm that the vehicle being allotted to me has a 2020 manufacture date. I am waiting for his response.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th January 2020 at 11:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks