Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2021, 15:49   #2101
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 232
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

BLR roads are terrible after the recent rain mayhem, what was surprising is that the Seltos had 1 puncture every week on exactly the same tyre (different locations though) for straight 3 weeks. Tyres are JK, run 4300kms since delivery.

As it is, ride quality is nothing great, compounded by the current road conditions.

Last edited by xotiq : 29th November 2021 at 15:50.
xotiq is offline  
Old 1st December 2021, 22:56   #2102
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madras <-> Cbe
Posts: 1,950
Thanked: 4,842 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Is it really true that the 2021 models have a slightly softened suspension? I tried reading through the last 5-6 pages on this thread, however, I am still confused. My father has booked the HTK+ diesel AT variant and is looking forward to the delivery in early 2022. He is very unhappy with the crashy ride on his 2009 Honda City (third-gen) and I do not want him to find the Seltos to be a downgrade from an already bad reference.

I had suggested Nexon, considering the ride quality and the safety, but then the Seltos was already parked in his mind!
aravind.anand is offline  
Old 1st December 2021, 23:03   #2103
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,989
Thanked: 8,222 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Is it really true that the 2021 models have a slightly softened suspension? I tried reading through the last 5-6 pages on this thread, however, I am still confused. My father has booked the HTK+ diesel AT variant and is looking forward to the delivery in early 2022. He is very unhappy with the crashy ride on his 2009 Honda City (third-gen) and I do not want him to find the Seltos to be a downgrade from an already bad reference.

I had suggested Nexon, considering the ride quality and the safety, but then the Seltos was already parked in his mind!
I own a 2019 HTK+ and my brother has a 2015 City. I find the ride on the Seltos to be better than the City on bad roads. Once you drive for some time, you get an idea which bump the car will gobble and where it will crash. That helps in deciding.

I maintain around 33-34psi on all the tyres, lower than the recommended number (don't remember what Kia recommends). I also felt that the suspension softened after about 5-7k kms.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 23:08   #2104
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madras <-> Cbe
Posts: 1,950
Thanked: 4,842 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I own a 2019 HTK+ and my brother has a 2015 City. I find the ride on the Seltos to be better than the City on bad roads. Once you drive for some time, you get an idea which bump the car will gobble and where it will crash. That helps in deciding.

I maintain around 33-34psi on all the tyres, lower than the recommended number (don't remember what Kia recommends). I also felt that the suspension softened after about 5-7k kms.
Thank you Ashis, your thread is impressive and helped me understand the HTK+ model well (the brochure does not help at all)

Thank you also for the feedback about the ride quality. In fact, the 2015 Honda City has a softer suspension setup than the 2008-2010 City. So that definitely makes me comfortable with my father's decision.

Kia recommends 35 psi for the tyres, which I found to be very high. I am used to 29 psi on my Fiesta, and my father sets 30-28 psi on his City to help with the harsh ride quality.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 1st December 2021 at 23:10.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 23:17   #2105
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,989
Thanked: 8,222 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Kia recommends 35 psi for the tyres, which I found to be very high. I am used to 29 psi on my Fiesta, and my father sets 30-28 psi on his City to help with the harsh ride quality.
Thank you!
You can start with 30-32 psi and play with the numbers till you find the right balance. IMO, that should be ideal for city use with light load. My preference is 32psi for city use on Bangalore roads. I have gone up to 33-34 for long highway trips with load and experience has been good.

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st December 2021 at 23:23.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:21   #2106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: PUNE
Posts: 30
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Seltos IVT comes in only one model - HTX. The interior is exactly like manual HTX except for the gear lever, which is again like that used in TC or DCT models. So, to get the real feel you can check any of the above (manual HTX for interior and any automatic for the gear lever). For a virtual feel, I have posted pics of my car for you below:
Hi MasterChief,

I have also booked the HTX IVT model yesterday.
Wanted to know what is the fuel efficiency you get from the IVT.
I am a sedate driver, and use 80% in usual city traffic and 20% on highways.
Abhishek_Nikam is offline  
Old 2nd December 2021, 15:06   #2107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 711
Thanked: 3,046 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Finished my 30k km service but surprised to hear my SA tell me that the clutch might need changing. It is a bit hard but gear shifts are still easy. Single driven only by me, 70% peak city driving.

Anyone else faced this?

I pushed it to the next 10k service.
Stribog is offline  
Old 2nd December 2021, 15:23   #2108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 474
Thanked: 429 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Nikam View Post
Hi MasterChief,

I have also booked the HTX IVT model yesterday.
Wanted to know what is the fuel efficiency you get from the IVT.
I am a sedate driver, and use 80% in usual city traffic and 20% on highways.
I have Creta IVT in my family and awaiting delivery of Seltos IVT in extended family. If it helps, here is Creta IVT mileage - 11-12 in city (flowing traffic) and 16-17 on highways, touching 18-19 on smooth highway with constant speed of 80-90kmph. In crazy bumper to bumper traffic it drops to about 8-10. If one is light footed and drives in moderate traffic most of the time, ~12 is realistic. I have done couple of trips with mix of 80% highway and 20% city and got ~15 kmpl.

We can expect similar numbers from Seltos IVT.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 2nd December 2021 at 15:52.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 16:04   #2109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Ambala
Posts: 40
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
I may be wrong but, I've noticed a weird ergonomical issue in the Seltos. While seated in the driver's seat, my shin seemed to touch the lower part of the dashboard and it made me feel quite uncomfortable while driving.
Same here and I am surprised no one else has mentioned this. I thought, may be, my seat position is not correct.
gkg2423 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 17:13   #2110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: PUNE
Posts: 30
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I have Creta IVT in my family and awaiting delivery of Seltos IVT in extended family. If it helps, here is Creta IVT mileage - 11-12 in city (flowing traffic) and 16-17 on highways, touching 18-19 on smooth highway with constant speed of 80-90kmph. In crazy bumper to bumper traffic it drops to about 8-10. If one is light footed and drives in moderate traffic most of the time, ~12 is realistic. I have done couple of trips with mix of 80% highway and 20% city and got ~15 kmpl.

We can expect similar numbers from Seltos IVT.
Thanks for the info Aviator_guy.
I have been driving an i20 petrol manual for past 11 years( 1.8 lakh kms), so I am totally new to automatics, and was wondering about the fuel efficiency.
Me also being a light footed driver 90% of the times, I hope it will be around 13-14.

Read a few more comments on this forum, where it says the IVT is not as sluggish as people think on ramps and overtaking, which has helped my case with HTX IVT selection.
Due to budget constraints could not move to the GT/X line.
Abhishek_Nikam is offline  
Old 2nd December 2021, 17:15   #2111
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,989
Thanked: 8,222 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Finished my 30k km service but surprised to hear my SA tell me that the clutch might need changing. It is a bit hard but gear shifts are still easy. Single driven only by me, 70% peak city driving.

Anyone else faced this?

I pushed it to the next 10k service.
I came back after completing my car's 40k service, moments ago(current odo stands at 35k). On my car, the clutch, suspension, brake pads, everything was signed off as good.

I was talking to the senior most SA at the KIA service center. He mentioned many Seltos coming to their workshop have done 120k-130k kms so far. No complaints for those cars so far; even their suspension remains untouched. Clutches have lasted 80k-90k on those vehicles. He mentioned that clutch, brake pads and tyres life depends on driving style and road conditions, something we already know.

Didn't you remap your car, IIRC? Maybe the clutch is finding it hard to digest all those torque.

Last edited by ashis89 : 2nd December 2021 at 17:33.
ashis89 is offline  
Old 2nd December 2021, 23:36   #2112
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 474
Thanked: 429 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Nikam View Post
Thanks for the info Aviator_guy.
I have been driving an i20 petrol manual for past 11 years( 1.8 lakh kms), so I am totally new to automatics, and was wondering about the fuel efficiency.
Me also being a light footed driver 90% of the times, I hope it will be around 13-14.

Read a few more comments on this forum, where it says the IVT is not as sluggish as people think on ramps and overtaking, which has helped my case with HTX IVT selection.
Due to budget constraints could not move to the GT/X line.
Welcome

IVT technology, by design, is supposed to be very fuel efficient and in fact can provide slightly better mileage than manual.

Before my purchase of Creta IVT, I did test drives of all the three variants (including DCT and Diesel AT) and found that the IVT is a sweet spot of budget, mileage and performance (for sedate driver like me). It is low maintenance as well so should help in good long term ownership experience.

After couple of highway runs of 800+ kms, didn't find anything bothersome about the rubber band effect. May be its my driving style but really happy with my decision

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 2nd December 2021 at 23:47.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 15:36   #2113
Newbie
 
MasterChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Goa
Posts: 17
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Nikam View Post
Wanted to know what is the fuel efficiency you get from the IVT.
Hello, Abhishek_Nikam, the fuel efficiency I get is between 12 to 13 kmpl in city and between 16 to 17 kmpl on highways.

You quoted mine one and a half year post means you are really combing the forum for any information on IVT

Also, it's a misconception that CVT is for sedate drivers. As per a Autocar test (https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-416310), the Seltos IVT was 0.85 sec faster than the diesel automatic.

In fact, CVTs were tested but ultimately banned from Formula 1 races in 1993. They were several seconds faster than the existing cars! See: https://www.auto123.com/en/news/f1-t...3-video/34642/

So, you made the right choice by selecting a CVT. It has infinite gear ratios for the job at hand, so why restrict at a few? CVT avoids the bad fuel efficiency offered by traditional torque converters and mechanical problems of DCTs. Lesser said about the AMTs, better it is.

Though you have already booked IVT, I would urge you to see:

Ciao
MasterChief is offline  
Old 3rd December 2021, 20:29   #2114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 69
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Hi - just wanted to check if Kia suggests a particular break-in/run-in period for new petrol automatics (DCT in this case)?


I came across this in an online manual of Kia Seltos:

"Vehicle break-in process
No special break-in period is needed.
By following a few simple precautions for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.

1) Do not race the engine.
2) While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
3) Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
4) Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
5) Don't tow a trailer during the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles) of operation.
"

Seems bit odd that while they say there isn't any break-in process, they have mentioned do's and don'ts.

Last edited by youknowitbetter : 3rd December 2021 at 20:35. Reason: Came across an answer which needs validation
youknowitbetter is offline  
Old 3rd December 2021, 22:51   #2115
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 1,233 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quoting the 2 of you gentlemen as your inputs greatly influenced me in choosing the Seltos as my next car.
Ashis, your thread is a bible of sorts covering every minute detail. After reading your thread, I was almost hooked onto the Silver color but family vetoed my idea of silver as wife felt the White complements the black highlights of the wheel arches and the grille better in the HTK+ variant. Gave in and went with white and dont regret it one bit as it looks gorgeous in white (just that it is too common a color on our roads).

Stribog, you sir with your nuggets on insulating the car from road noise have been instrumental in me getting damping done for my car. In fact this is the first vehicle on which I have got the doors, engine bay and boot damped, along with the front fenders as well. Rear quarter panel is the only area that is not damped in the car as I dont have a sub woofer and was told to not remove the quarter panel for this purpose alone. The transformation after damping is unbelievable and the car feels like almost from 2 classes above in terms of NVH and road noise isolation. Since mine is the HTK+ variant with projector lamps, went for a HID kit in the headlights and LED fog lamps. The difference in illumination is also very good compared to the stock set up. So many thanks for your inputs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I own a 2019 HTK+.........
I maintain around 33-34psi on all the tyres, lower than the recommended number (don't remember what Kia recommends). I also felt that the suspension softened after about 5-7k kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
......I pushed it to the next 10k service.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks