Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 00:45   #2311
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav1817 View Post
On comparing the specs, I found that majorly Creta has a panoramic sunroof, Cool glove box (something i am used to in my Xcent) and Electronic Park Break with auto hold.

With all these Creta does come 1L costlier as well. Question here would be, ignoring last 2 features, how do you rate Panoramic sunroof over smaller sunroof from seltos?? Positive or neutral. I hear/read it impacts AC cooling.

I personally feel, the look from sitting inside is more airier in Creta.
I chose the Creta over Seltos purely on the Panoramic Sunroof. Open the shade and drive in the mountains of Coorg and then you'll realise the difference. The cabin ambience goes up a thousand notches. If you keep the shade closed in a hot summer day, the AC of the Creta cools perfectly. Also the low speed ride quality over potholes or patched up roads in the city will feel more comfortable in the Creta due to the softer suspension compared to Seltos.
abhisekbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 13:55   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
On comparing the specs, I found that majorly Creta has a panoramic sunroof, Cool glove box (something i am used to in my Xcent) and Electronic Park Break with auto hold.

With all these Creta does come 1L costlier as well. Question here would be, ignoring last 2 features, how do you rate Panoramic sunroof over smaller sunroof from seltos?? Positive or neutral. I hear/read it impacts AC cooling.

I personally feel, the look from sitting inside is more airier in Creta.
One more practical thing which prompted me to choose Creta over Seltos is the rear seat comfort for 3 adults over long drive. Creta can seat 3 adults properly without any issues but in Seltos, the shoulder width is less and 3 adults at the back will feel bit tired over long drives.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 15:37   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisekbit View Post
I chose the Creta over Seltos purely on the Panoramic Sunroof. Open the shade and drive in the mountains of Coorg and then you'll realise the difference. The cabin ambience goes up a thousand notches. If you keep the shade closed in a hot summer day, the AC of the Creta cools perfectly. Also the low speed ride quality over potholes or patched up roads in the city will feel more comfortable in the Creta due to the softer suspension compared to Seltos.
No arguments there. Although i see myself in driver's seat only, but for all other passengers, the sunroof of Seltos is no way comparable to that of Creta. We all enjoyed the view within city in a short test drive itself and can only imagine the wow factor it brings on a nice weather day in a beautiful place like coorg.
As for the suspension, the MY22 Seltos updates do mention about updates in this area, lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
One more practical thing which prompted me to choose Creta over Seltos is the rear seat comfort for 3 adults over long drive. Creta can seat 3 adults properly without any issues but in Seltos, the shoulder width is less and 3 adults at the back will feel bit tired over long drives.
100% in agreement there. Even with Seltos being the wider car, Hyundai has managed the rear seating in much more efficient way.

Reference quote from my driving exp:
Quote:
And now comes the real deal (or the deal breaker ) . Where i was enjoying the DCT gear box in seltos way more than Creta. My father, mother and wife enjoyed way more in Creta. Before entering into Creta, panoramic sunroof was not a requirement, per se. But now that there is a comparison, seltos sunroof is not even half of it, we want panoramic sunroof for that much amount.

And completely ignoring both the car dimension numbers, all three of them were totally comfortable in creta where as in seltos it was a bit of shoulder rubbing.
So now other than my love for looks of Current Seltos over Current Creta, Creta becomes the deal breaker mostly in terms of Panoramic sunroof and 3 rear seating as almost one full place is occupied by the Car seat we use for my daughter.

So waiting game is ON. Even if the Indonesian version, which is currently doing the rounds in internet is launched, I am ok with that design of Creta.
abhinav1817 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 20:15   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
I purchased by 1.4 Turbo 7DCT Seltos in Dec 2019. In early 2021 I had an issue with the gearbox, the car was jumping gears from 1 to 3/4. We were told it was a gearbox issue and it was fixed under the warranty.

Late last summer my from left suspension started making noises and we had to pay for the replacement. However the issue didn't go away for until another month or two even after sending the car multiple times to the service center when they kept saying the issue is resolved when it clearly wasn't. This January they've mentioned that the suspension that was changed had an issue with it, so the replaced the new suspension again.

Since the last 4 months I've noticed a slight jerk randomly when the gears are shifting. My driver who drives the car most of the time didn't notice but I could initially. During the suspension issue, even though I've complained on the gear jerk, they couldn't replicate it during the test drives. The issue has creeped in a lot more in late Feb and we've sent the car back to service center couple of weeks ago and I was told that there's an issue with the clutch plates which are worth around 1.4L (what I was told verbally) and they will be replaced under the warranty. The car has been sitting at the workshop for almost two weeks now and I'm expecting the car back this week.
Gosh! I’m going through the same issues with my car as well . It’s more like a vibration than a jerk , albeit at times a very strong one. More prominent on highways with the cruise on, once it picks back speed after a slow down. It’s the same 7Dct , Dec 2019 as yours. It started post the 20km service and the DCT update.

I also know a friend in Bengaluru going through the same issue as well.

Planning to get it checked as soon as possible.

Please let me incase it gets rectified, I’d probably have an easier time dealing with the otherwise troublesome and over worked Kia Service.

Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 22:32   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorlover View Post
Only the last clip is broken. They replaced the holder for ₹300. And also made a point to tell me that its a temporary fix and warning me about how the bumper can fly off. There is a very thin gap that is seen now.
I drove my i10 like this for 5-6 years (175 profile tyres fouling with the bumper during hard bumps). A slight knock and every thing was good. And no, my bumper did not fly off like a SpaceX rocket even though i had 2 broken clips
Old 30th April 2022, 13:39   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So waiting game is ON. Even if the Indonesian version, which is currently doing the rounds in internet is launched, I am ok with that design of Creta.
My cousin has a Seltos IVT and I have a Creta Diesel AT, we both love our respective rides ! He has taken his family + dog on various trips and I didnt hear him complaining about power. Let me tell you one thing though, as a past owner of 2 CVT cars (Micra, City). I read about your style of driving. I am pretty sure that you will find the IVT to be a bit boring, if not inadequate. It will never give you that instant punch when you floor the pedal, rather a long complaining whine, before it reluctantly obeys your order, that too only just. The DCT will willingly accept your order and just propel you without much hesitation at all. It will definitely feel a bit more rewarding on highways and the much cherished "winding-road sections". So will the Diesel AT 1.5 (in either car) , but the DCT might still be a bit more "fun" if thats what you are looking for. I would suggest that you go for the DCT, and just make sure that you keep it in Neutral during idling or on slopes (with handbrake assistance).So some left hand efforts, but that should be about it. The Creta is a bit better in the back seat, and not a bad handler by itself. It has this middle-of-the-road suspension. From your overall perspective, it seems pretty much between the Korean cousins, so take your pick.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:46   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
My cousin has a Seltos IVT and I have a Creta Diesel AT, we both love our respective rides ! He has taken his family + dog on various trips and I didnt hear him complaining about power. Let me tell you one thing though, as a past owner of 2 CVT cars (Micra, City). I read about your style of driving. I am pretty sure that you will find the IVT to be a bit boring, if not inadequate. It will never give you that instant punch when you floor the pedal, rather a long complaining whine, before it reluctantly obeys your order, that too only just. The DCT will willingly accept your order and just propel you without much hesitation at all. It will definitely feel a bit more rewarding on highways and the much cherished "winding-road sections". So will the Diesel AT 1.5 (in either car) , but the DCT might still be a bit more "fun" if thats what you are looking for. I would suggest that you go for the DCT, and just make sure that you keep it in Neutral during idling or on slopes (with handbrake assistance).So some left hand efforts, but that should be about it. The Creta is a bit better in the back seat, and not a bad handler by itself. It has this middle-of-the-road suspension. From your overall perspective, it seems pretty much between the Korean cousins, so take your pick.
Thanks a lot for your all your inputs. Yes during test drives, i did feel the DCT/turbo combination giving the kick i need/prefer with all 5 occupants inside as compared with IVT. However, on a personal note, we are blessed with a baby girl last year, so with her being on board nowadays i keep a light foot to avoid sudden and hard breaks. Inside city, it hardly matters, or actually the creep in IVT is much better for that matter. So making up my mind to change the driving style itself and be content with IVT. Factors like budget, DCT reliability, Fuel Economy, all too play in favor of IVT.
So the silver lining in my wait till Creta launches the new design or Seltos comes with panoramic sunroof is that i get time to make up my mind as i am stretching out my max budget limit to get these top ends and do not want to be in any doubt/regret.

And i do agree with your last statement and if I may add: NO CAR is the BEST CAR. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and what they want out of the car be it as simple as the design or mode of transmission.

I have driven my friend's 2015 Rapid and I was eagerly doing my R&D on both Kushaq and Taigun but the OTR (1.5 DSG) does not match up to competition. Glitters aside but things like no dynamic guidelines in reverse camera, manual seat height adjustment, no ventilated seats in Top end (Taigun GT+) are all very deal breaking features which they should have looked after at that price point. And we use a car seat, after that it feels that just 1 person will be comfortable behind in both of them. So Korean twins it is.
Old 2nd May 2022, 13:50   #2318
Senior - BHPian

You need not give up your driving pleasure because your baby may get disturbed. Few points :1) go for the highest variant with 6 airbags, which in the Seltos means DCT only.
2) Panoramic sunroof is something you will get bored of pretty quickly. I have hardly used mine for more than 10 minutes in 2 years.
3) You can also drive the DCT with a light foot so as not to bother your baby. DCT is quick but need not be jerky. On the other hand, with IVT you may regret 2-3 years when you still want to get some driving pleasure. It's not a transmission that you feel you fully control, it just does its own thing mostly, albeit smoothly.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 14:31   #2319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Hey guys, can anyone tell me what the annual service/maintenance costs for the Seltos Diesel automatic would be? Just a ballpark figure would be greatly appreciated.
First year is literally NIL. The 1 month and 6 month "service" are essentially just a precautionary check up.

My 1 year/10,000 km service cost me about 2600/- There was no labour cost charged and they only charged for parts replaced (filters primarily) and consumables (engine oil, mineral).

Have no idea how much it will increase from the next service (2 year/20,000 km) but anticipate at least a bill of 7-8K. That's not too bad I think.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 14:36   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
You need not give up your driving pleasure because your baby may get disturbed. Few points :1) go for the highest variant with 6 airbags, which in the Seltos means DCT only.
2) Panoramic sunroof is something you will get bored of pretty quickly. I have hardly used mine for more than 10 minutes in 2 years.
3) You can also drive the DCT with a light foot so as not to bother your baby. DCT is quick but need not be jerky. On the other hand, with IVT you may regret 2-3 years when you still want to get some driving pleasure. It's not a transmission that you feel you fully control, it just does its own thing mostly, albeit smoothly.

You summarized my feelings with those 3 points.!!
No issues in my current car so ok to wait and hence all these discussions.

Well Panoramic sunroof was not a must have for me but after comparison it has become a must from family, soooo.
Except 6 airbags, Hyundai has a S+ DCT variant now which fits in budget and ticks off most of the things needed. Fingers crossed for facelift launch sooner.

One point is it will have a 16 inch tyre profile instead of 17 inches in SX(O). Any guidance how much impact that would have on suspension and FE. (I read that 16 inches are better for FE.)
Old 4th May 2022, 10:18   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One point is it will have a 16 inch tyre profile instead of 17 inches in SX(O). Any guidance how much impact that would have on suspension and FE. (I read that 16 inches are better for FE.)
I think the difference may be negligible on a long term basis. There may be slight increase in rough-road comfort because of the slightly taller sidewall, but then again should not be considered to be a deal maker. Because the Creta is not a proper rough road car anyway.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 15:40   #2322
BHPian

Did a 1000+ kms drive from Goa - Shirdi - Aurangabad - Pune - Goa in my Seltos iMT Petrol version.

• For someone who hovers around 2000rpm, highway drives were soul soothing.
  • Silent cabin with ample of space for 3 adults and a kid
  • Felt the hard suspension on bad roads but nothing alarming
  • Auto Clutch facility really helped during heavy traffic
  • Mileage 16-18 kmpl

Overall a very pleasant experience .
Old 5th May 2022, 18:26   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by em17 View Post
Gosh! I’m going through the same issues with my car as well . It’s more like a vibration than a jerk , albeit at times a very strong one. More prominent on highways with the cruise on, once it picks back speed after a slow down. It’s the same 7Dct , Dec 2019 as yours. It started post the 20km service and the DCT update.

I also know a friend in Bengaluru going through the same issue as well.

Planning to get it checked as soon as possible.

Please let me incase it gets rectified, I’d probably have an easier time dealing with the otherwise troublesome and over worked Kia Service.

Thanks
Hey yes got my car back few weeks ago and everything seems to be fine for now. The other day when slowing down felt like an acceleration jerk, however I barely drive the car anymore, so will have to see if it's indeed something.

I've been arguing with the service center over here for the purchase of extended warranty, apparently you could do that in the first two years but not in the third year. They've tried to talk to their management or regional heads and it's still a no go. I didn't think a Kia would need extended warranty but with the series of issues I've had lately, I want to purchase.

I might have to write an email to Kia India and see what they can do about it.

EDIT:

On another note, I'm looking to change my tires from 235/55/17 to 225/60/17. Basically I want to increase the sidewall of the tire without deviating much from the stock size. Thanks to the Hyderabad road conditions I'm looking for ride comfort at this point. I might also look for alternative suspension set up(softer after market if any) in the future but for now, looking to switch the tires. Did anyone manage the switch to 225/60/17? Either way any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by sweetvar26 : 5th May 2022 at 18:35. Reason: Additional post
Old 6th May 2022, 15:28   #2324
BHPian

Dear friends,

Thanks to this AMAZING thread, I could finalize my next car.

I have booked Seltos HTK+ iMT model after prolonged search and TD of cars like Astor, Creta, Nexon, Brezza & Venue. While each car had their own special points, the Seltos HTK+ iMT ticked all boxes for me. Price v/s features, ease of ownership, rear seat space, FE, driving dynamics were the main criteria for the selection. Like always, Team-BHP was THE one source for authentic reviews, product information & user verification.

While booking the car on 1st May I am told of waiting period of 18-19 weeks I was told by SE that hopefully I will get the car in 12-13 weeks (which still is too long a wait).

However, Upon checking from Kia sources I am told that they are facing huge parts sourcing issue, and production of this model is currently suspended. And, there is no car in ready stock...so no chance of an early delivery.

It seems I will have to go thru the long waiting period before I get my next stead.

Cheers!

Last edited by Ashish B : 6th May 2022 at 15:30.
Ashish B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 05:24   #2325
BHPian

Quote:

So now other than my love for looks of Current Seltos over Current Creta, Creta becomes the deal breaker mostly in terms of Panoramic sunroof and 3 rear seating as almost one full place is occupied by the Car seat we use for my daughter.
This was the deal breaker for me. Personally, I love the way Seltos looks, and I do not like the way Creta looks. I can live without a panoramic sunroof, but I cannot live with a car that does not look good for me. And so I went ahead with the Seltos IVT.

Also, you might want to check with other members or friends who own a car with panoramic sunroof, and how many actually use it after 6 months or a year or two.
My Seltos IVT, almost three months old, and we hardly open the sunroof now. Especially with the summer heat in Maharashtra, if I open just the sunroof cover and leave the glass as it is, you can clearly feel the cabin warming up.
Even my kid who used to open/close the sunroof all the time, has stopped playing with the sunroof now.

Last edited by Abhishek_Nikam : 7th May 2022 at 05:33.

Most Viewed