Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 10:47   #271

Re: My experience with 1.5L HTX IVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sre View Post

Another issue that I have is that there is an irritating reminder to shift the gear to P when you switch off the engine. ....
On my GTX+ DCT, in addition to the shift to P sign, even if I do shift to P and continue using the Infotainment system, after a minute it says that the battery is draining and to be able to continue to use the system, I should power the car on. I felt it is very ridiculous. If I am waiting to pick my wife up and it's going to take 5-10 mins, I have to either keep the car engine on, or I have to sit idle without using the Infotainment system. Is this a common feature now? I had a manual Polo earlier, and could use the music system for as much time as I wanted without switching the car on.
Old 16th January 2020, 11:23   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksv View Post
a> Shouldn't ABS have a speed threshold for it to kick-in?
b> What benefits does it provide when it engages at low speeds (as low as 30kmph)?
c> Is it possible to get its sensitivity altered at the service center?
The way I understand ABS implementation in a simplified manner - the ABS kicks in to quickly release & apply the brake back when it senses that the wheels are locking up (& leading to skid).

Generally the speed at which wheels lock, is proportional to the overall mass/weight of the vehicle. Heavier vehicles keep on applying more force on the wheel to keep it rotating. Lighter vehicle means the wheels lock up at lower speed. The other key contributor being brake force being applied. If the bite is too instantaneous, wheels lock.

So adding another speed threshold logic in the system is a bit redundant. At lower speeds the wheels shouldn't lock & the ABS won't kick in anyway. If ABS is kicking in - the wheels are locking. What might be the solution IMO is better calibration of the brake bite to make it more gradual rather than too immediate perhaps.

Although my understanding is purely observational & with basic reading. Experts might give better insights.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th January 2020 at 11:24.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 11:34   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohanangal View Post
On my GTX+ DCT, in addition to the shift to P sign, even if I do shift to P and continue using the Infotainment system, after a minute it says that the battery is draining and to be able to continue to use the system, I should power the car on.
In this age where electronics used in the car are high and more dependent, the battery is an important part of that chain and can leave one stranded if ignored. This warning that you see on the HU is provided as a reminder to not use the audio without the engine running. I know it is irritating but helps.

Here's how it is on my Creta:
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200116_1108031600x900.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 11:36   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To our learned members:
b> What benefits does it provide when it engages at low speeds (as low as 30kmph)?
Not a Learned member, but my thoughts:
a) ABS will depend on the suddenness (pressure applied on the pedal) of braking and not the speed at which the vehicle is moving. Even at under 30kmph, if you did not have ABS, you might well have skidded and hit the 2 wheeler.
b) same as above, it allows you to steer even under hard braking, which would not have been possible in a non ABS car
c) Not sure, but my recommendation is not to tinker with factory provided settings for something as important as ABS
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 12:29   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohanangal View Post
On my GTX+ DCT, in addition to the shift to P sign, even if I do shift to P and continue using the Infotainment system, after a minute it says that the battery is draining and to be able to continue to use the system, I should power the car on. I felt it is very ridiculous. If I am waiting to pick my wife up and it's going to take 5-10 mins, I have to either keep the car engine on, or I have to sit idle without using the Infotainment system. Is this a common feature now? I had a manual Polo earlier, and could use the music system for as much time as I wanted without switching the car on.
To prevent battery drain, the Head unit shuts off after 5 minutes if the engine is not on

Last edited by akrish01 : 16th January 2020 at 12:30. Reason: correction
Old 16th January 2020, 13:06   #276
BHPian

Quote:
To our learned members:

a) Threshold is probably around 5 KMPH, definitely not 30KMPH.
b) Try braking hard on loose sand / wet roads at 30KMPH without ABS. You will be un-pleasantly surprised at the loss of control.
c) No. However, you can upgrade to better quality tyres (not necessarily wider) that will reduce the number of times the ABS has to kick in, hence serving your purpose. This is the only option that you have if you are really concerned about this.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 13:59   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Although my understanding is purely observational & with basic reading. Experts might give better insights.
ABS on cars is an innovation that has been copied from aircraft. Other than very basic aircraft most others have ABS. It's a must.

The principle on which ABS works is as follows. I am an ex fighter pilot so I know. If the wheels stop rotating when brakes are applied the slippage between the tyre and ground is 100%. When this happens the actual amount of retarding force is much lower than if the slippage is 10%. So what the ABS does is to sense the amount of slippage and keep it at about 10% which is when the maximum retarding force is obtained. This 10% slippage is achieved by the ABS alternatively applying and releasing brake pressure.

In my opinion ABS is an extremely useful gadget to have on board. I have seen and experienced two imminent crashes that were avoided because of ABS.

The first one was in 1991 when I was driving my Toyota Camry at Perth, Australia. I was driving at about 60 KMPH going up a slope. Just as I crossed the hump in the road I found a car stopped in front of me. I jammed on the brake and the car came to a juddering stop just inches from the stopped car in front. If the same thing had happened on my Indian Ambassador that didn't have ABS I would have surely hit the car in front.

The second incident happened two years ago in Sydney. My elder brother had come to visit us from the US. We had all gone to a friend's house for dinner.
For the drive back home my brother wanted to drive. On the way we came to a junction where the traffic light was red. There was a car stopped at the junction in the lane on which we were driving. My brother who had had a couple of drinks was late in seeing and reacting to the stopped car. Judging by the speed at which we were travelling and the distance left to the car in front I was certain we were going to hit that car. At the very last second my brother reacted and simultaneously steered the car to the right lane which luckily was vacant. The car came to a juddering stop on the adjoining lane and parallel to the car that we had just missed. If my Toyota Tarago did not have ABS we would have surely hit the other car.

So one of my "qualitative requirements" for my new car in India was ABS. The Seltos has it.
Shivaji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 14:41   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Not a Learned member, but my thoughts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
However, you can upgrade to better quality tyres (not necessarily wider) that will reduce the number of times the ABS has to kick in, hence serving your purpose. This is the only option that you have if you are really concerned about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivaji View Post
ABS on cars is an innovation that has been copied from aircraft. Other than very basic aircraft most others have ABS. It's a must.
Thank you all for your responses.

Please bear with me as this is my first car that has ABS in it. Some of the technical details has got me a little confused.

I'm learning that ABS can get activated at almost any normal driving speed. In Bangalore apart from the bad quality of roads, a lot of construction work is also happening in and around (Metro work, white topping of roads, relaying of foot paths, new buildings, etc). Result - a significant number of roads may/will have loose sand/gravel on them. It explains why I experience the brake pedal pulsating/pushing back so often wherever I drive, even under low speeds and gradual braking and not always hard braking. With hardly any other owners talking about it, I think they are already used to driving ABS-equipped cars and no longer notice this or their variants have other features such as brake assist, etc which may be masking such an experience. But as far as I'm concerned, I think the system has been calibrated to be extremely sensitive in Seltos.

Lastly, it also does not explain why the brake pedal has to become harder to push, like it happened to me this morning. It was not fully pressed, but a split second later when I actually wanted to, it had become hard. So had to swerve away. Any comments on that?
Old 16th January 2020, 15:04   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses.

Lastly, it also does not explain why the brake pedal has to become harder to push, like it happened to me this morning. It was not fully pressed, but a split second later when I actually wanted to, it had become hard. So had to swerve away. Any comments on that?
This shouldn't happen. It appears to be a system fault.
Shivaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 15:23   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ABS can only cause vibration feedback into the brake pedal in some cases. It cannot and must not cause a difference in brake pedal pressure requirements.

This seems like a mechanical issue to me and a risky one. Please visit the ASC soon and get it checked. Brake pedals are generally boosted. So check the brake fluid reservoir. Ask them to check the brake master and slave cylinders. Have you seen any leaked fluid spots under your usual parking slot? Good to know that you were able to quickly react and avoid any further consequences.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 17:33   #281
BHPian

A weird issue I just observed, thoughts and advice would help.

I have the HTX+ (if that's important), and car mirrors would auto open on unlocking and auto fold on locking.

This doesn't happen anymore.

I haven't changed any settings but it just stopped.

How do I fix this, via the ICE that is. Or is it something I need to take the car to service center?
Old 16th January 2020, 18:11   #282
BHPian

Hi. I have been following everything about KIA Seltos since launch. I also booked before launch in July 19 but cancelled due to personal reasons otherwise I would have easily got a HTK Petrol in Sept/Oct.

Early dec I against started inquiring about the availability and as expected no variants were available apart from a stray diesel top end or GTK models.

I anyhow booked in December again with a dealer in Pune who claimed in December itself that the first HTK or HTK+ petrol that is available will be given to me. Its Jan 16th and I know for sure that the dealer has been allotted 200 cars yesterday and the sales advisor says that they have not got a single HTK or HTK+ in diesel or in petrol in that allotment.

He started off by saying that 80 to 90 cars were allotted and none of em were HTK or HTK+ then when I told him that I know that 200 odd cars were allotted he agreed and said he will get to know about the remaining 100 cars by tomorrow. Dont think his answer will be any different tomorrow either.

I believe that the sales person is taking me for a ride or it is really possible that Kia is pushing only top end and GTKs? If I book with some other dealer I dont feel that the situation would be any different. Any Crystal Auto Pune customer in the same boat reading this?
Old 16th January 2020, 18:25   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
In this age where electronics used in the car are high and more dependent, the battery is an important part of that chain and can leave one stranded if ignored. This warning that you see on the HU is provided as a reminder to not use the audio without the engine running. I know it is irritating but helps.

Here's how it is on my Creta:
Attachment 1957621
Thank you. My car displays the exact same message. I understand the need to save battery charge as the battery is needed more than on regular vehicles. However, it is sad that we have to choose between burning fuel or no entertainment while stationary. I guess we just have to live with it, and it will be the way forward hereon.
Old 16th January 2020, 18:39   #284
BHPian

Today on the way to office I faced a rather odd situation. While changing gears ( specifically to 4th), after you slot it in, and the car starts to carry on, barely after 5 secs, the gear handle automatically falls into Neutral. Initially I thought, I did not slot it properly and my hand would have caused it however when carefully observed, it does slot properly ( no grrr sound like when it does not fall in gear) but then the stick juts back to Neutral, rather violently after couple of secs. This happened 4 times over a period of 30 mins. It does not happen always. Anyone else facing this weird behavior ?
anzrulz555 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 22:07   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
How do I fix this, via the ICE that is. Or is it something I need to take the car to service center?

As far as ICE is concerned, I remember seeing only 2 options. One is to unfold on opening the door and second is to unfold on approaching the car with the keys.
I don't remember seeing an option to Not fold/unfold at all. Maybe others can throw some light on this.
v6kgang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed