Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 19:56   #556
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

When I saw a cap in place of the rear USB charger on the HTK I knew it should be an easy retrofit. I had ordered a 2m USB dashboard mount cable from Aliexpress. It arrived yesterday just in time for my long trip starting tomorrow. After a DIY, rear passengers can now charge their devices.

Some caution if you plan to do it yourself:

1. I ordered the 1inch diameter charger assuming it will fit flush. But it passes through the hole. So I wrapped it with black electrical tape for bulk and to ensure it doesn't budge either way. The result is that the charger end protrudes a bit. You may want to find one that is 1.1 inch for a flush fit.

2. I used plastic pry bars and screw drivers to pry open the rear trim. But I couldn't do a nice job putting it back and have slightly damaged it in the process. I'll probably get it refit properly at the ASC or may even get it replaced during my 2nd service. Get help from somebody who knows how to open and close/secure it properly. YouTube videos failed on me.

3. If you could handle small tools well, you could achieve this without removing the trim but it will test your patience.

Cap
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200127_090850150.jpg

Cap removed
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200227_160441549.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200227_143323291.jpg

Trim loosened below the front armrest
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200227_145316388.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200227_151945162.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200227_160142800.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200227_155724365.jpg

The cable is tucked along the underneath of the center console all the way until the front USB charger. So it is concealed.
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200227_154255988.jpg
dksv is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 17:09   #557
BHPian

Kind of off topic-
I got my seltos over a week back. I am facing a strange problem with my eyes. Occasionally my eyes get heavy soon after entering the car. I haven’t driven much (~150kms multiple nearyby trips without AC). I think it might be due to the new car smell. My eyes are a bit sensitive and haven’t faced the issue in all trips. Any ideas?

I read the chemicals used are toxic.
New Car Smell Toxic ?

Eg. Today I went to a mall and soon after leaving the car my eyes were ok and as I entered back, within a few minutes they became heavy. I read some people get burning sensation also.
Old 28th February 2020, 17:33   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Kind of off topic-
I got my seltos over a week back. I am facing a strange problem with my eyes. Occasionally my eyes get heavy soon after entering the car. I haven’t driven much (~150kms multiple nearyby trips without AC). I think it might be due to the new car smell. My eyes are a bit sensitive and haven’t faced the issue in all trips. Any ideas?
I think you might be experiencing some sought of allergic reaction to the dashboard polish or any perfume in the car. You can try rolling the windows down and driving for a few kilometers
smileline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 21:09   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kind of off topic-
I got my seltos over a week back. I am facing a strange problem with my eyes. Occasionally my eyes get heavy soon after entering the car.

I read the chemicals used are toxic.
New Car Smell Toxic ?

Might be due to the plastic cover over the seat covers, in case you have not removed them.
Old 28th February 2020, 21:28   #560
Senior - BHPian

It is due to ac disinfectant. It will take weeks to subside fully.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th February 2020 at 22:52. Reason: Typo
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 21:47   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Might be due to the plastic cover over the seat covers, in case you have not removed them.
Removed all plastic covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It is due to ac disinfectant. It will take weeks to subside fully.
Thanks. The AC disinfectant causes problems even when not using the AC? Or running it more would be helpful for quicker resolution!
The summers are almost here. I can keep the car started with ac on and windows open for 15-20 mins if it helps.
Also, the purifier is running all the time.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th February 2020 at 22:53. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
Old 28th February 2020, 21:59   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Removed all plastic covers.
I can keep the car started with ac on and windows open for 15-20 mins if it helps.
Also the purifier is running all the time.
Try all these above steps in different permutations and combinations.

Further, diesel or petrol? Sometimes diesel fumes affect strangely. Does the catcon smell odd? Also park in sunny area with all doors and hatch open.

Am sure only temporary and will go away.
Old 28th February 2020, 22:15   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Try all these above steps in different permutations and combinations.

Further, diesel or petrol? Sometimes diesel fumes affect strangely. Does the catcon smell odd? Also park in sunny area with all doors and hatch open.

Am sure only temporary and will go away.
Its petrol. No other smell, just new car smell. Not strong enough to be bothersome.

That seems right. Actually I haven’t parked in the sun at all. Infact my parking was moved to lower basement which has even lesser ventilation.
I’ll park in the sun tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 28th February 2020, 23:13   #564
BHPian

Hello. Finally a review of Seltos CVT. Might be of some help for someone interested in 1.5 litre Petrol CVT variant.

Source : Autocar India.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-416310

Last edited by smileline : 28th February 2020 at 23:16.
smileline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 20:11   #565

Congratulations! Can you please share a review. From what I have heard the IVT is best suited for city driving and lacks the bite while overtaking on highways and stuff.

Quote:
Hi , I got the delivery of Seltos 1.5P HTX IVT today evening.
I’ll post a review in some days.
Old 29th February 2020, 22:04   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth2510 View Post
Congratulations! Can you please share a review. From what I have heard the IVT is best suited for city driving and lacks the bite while overtaking on highways and stuff.
Here is my quick & short experience with Seltos 1.5 P HTX IVT. Won’t call it a review.

This is my first automatic and I had doubts regarding climbing capabilities like mall ramps, hill stations and overtaking on highways. For this reason I took 2 : 5km+ test drives.

Now my experience after driving only 200 kms.- I have driven majorly in city and gone above 80 only on a few instances. City driving is comfortable and minor lag when you want to jump to 40 immediately from standstill. Normal/linear driving you won’t feel it.

As for highways as soon as I understood it’s way of performance , overtaking was no issue. What I found that If I am around 60 or above the car pulls fast and overtaking is easy. It doesn’t feel like I won’t able to overtake a vehicle driving at 90kmph. No struggle here.
Although say if I am at less than 40 kmph and want to go to 80 or 90+ instantaneously then there is a minor lag and I can floor the accelerator but there is a single minor jerk (maybe the rubberband effect)
But in no way I felt that car was short of pickup and I never felt like If had a manual I would have more power on tap. I haven’t seen the car struggling to reach 90. Haven’t gone over that.
I feel its quicker than the ecosport 1.5 P manual I had.(2015 model)

I haven’t been able to take a good highway drive . As soon as I take one I’ll provide a full review with conclusive report.

Spare me for the uneven writing.

This review is with reference to the other cars I drive - Current gen baleno, Verna 1.6 P, Ecosport P (sold)
k2max6 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 01:32   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Here is my quick & short experience with Seltos 1.5 P HTX IVT. Won’t call it a review
Thanks so much.

Finally I got someone who could point on the 1.5 CVT.

Could you please enlighten me on these aspects:

1) how does it drive fully loaded, 5 adults and some luggage? I mean power delivery. Does it feel sluggish? Did you get a chance to drive it on ghats or inclines say in the mall. Does it climb easily

2) what is the real world mileage ?

Thanks in advance
Old 1st March 2020, 05:38   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Thanks so much.

Finally I got someone who could point on the 1.5 CVT.

Could you please enlighten me on these aspects:

1) how does it drive fully loaded, 5 adults and some luggage? I mean power delivery. Does it feel sluggish? Did you get a chance to drive it on ghats or inclines say in the mall. Does it climb easily

2) what is the real world mileage ?

Thanks in advance
1) Not got a chance to try fully loaded and Haven’t driven on hills , but all types of mall ramps including some tight and very steep ones. There are absolutely no issues climbing with 3 onboard with AC on. I am tall & bulky so can be counted as 1.5 ( I am 6’3” and the car is pretty comfortable with good legspace, so tall drivers are good to go)
Doesn’t feel sluggish.

I felt a minor difference with me driving alone or 2 more onboard while climbing. I had to push the accelerator a tiny bit more. Thats Normal IMO. Easier than downshifting in manual if you have more people onboard. But it didn’t struggle climbing.
I also checked stopping on a ramp and then climbing from a standstill, no issues there as well.

Parking at my home is in B2 and have driven to a couple of malls till B3 including large and small tight tracks and some with very steep inclines. Most usual Hill stations don’t have 50% of those inclines. Nothing to worry on that front. So hilly driving shouldn’t be problematic. Although can’t say about overtaking on Hills. I am still 2 months away from a hilly trip.

Power delivery is linear at most times, faster above 50-60. Haven’t gone above 90. Infact touched 80+ for maximum a minute and don’t plan to for the first 1000 kms.

2) I haven’t filled the tank for the 2nd time yet to get mileage via full tank method. But as per MID FE varies around 8.9-10.5 max with avg speed being 20-30 kmph. Mostly on 6-7 km nearby trips.

On a decent road where the speed is around 60 avg. ( including stoppage on 2-3 traffic lights) I’ve seen MID showing a max 17.3 kmpl. Mostly stayed above 15 kmpl.(40% time AC) This was for a 20 km trip.

Last edited by k2max6 : 1st March 2020 at 05:41.
k2max6 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 10:58   #569

Re: My experience with 1.5L HTX IVT

Congratulations for your IVT Seltos ! Hope you are enjoying the drives.

There is very little feedback available on the IVT online and it is strange that Kia hasn't ensured availability of variant for TD in most cities. On paper it looks bit underpowered for a car of this size.

Can u please share throw some light on the following points:

1. Does the car feel underpowered while overtaking on highways (when fully loaded with 4-5 adults and luggage).

2. Have you tried driving it on a hilly road. How does it behave when fully loaded.

3. Does it navigate basement slopes confidently?

4. Someone shared a feedback they feel hesitant to overtake on single lane highways. What is your take.

The IVT offers best bang for the buck for city drives. But will it serve the purpose for occasional highway / outstation drives - once every month.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrish01 View Post
To prevent battery drain, the Head unit shuts off after 5 minutes if the engine is not on
samarth2510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 14:19   #570
BHPian

Re: My experience with 1.5L HTX IVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth2510 View Post
Congratulations for your IVT Seltos ! Hope you are enjoying the drives.

There is very little feedback available on the IVT online and it is strange that Kia hasn't ensured availability of variant for TD in most cities. On paper it looks bit underpowered for a car of this size.

Can u please share throw some light on the following points:

1. Does the car feel underpowered while overtaking on highways (when fully loaded with 4-5 adults and luggage).

2. Have you tried driving it on a hilly road. How does it behave when fully loaded.

3. Does it navigate basement slopes confidently?

4. Someone shared a feedback they feel hesitant to overtake on single lane highways. What is your take.

The IVT offers best bang for the buck for city drives. But will it serve the purpose for occasional highway / outstation drives - once every month.

Thanks.
Hi

Been having the Seltos IVT for around 2 1/2 months now. Not explored hilly territory as yet but can surely say that basement ramps are not an issue. The car doesn't feel underpowered

Never driven the car under full load (5 passengers & luggage) but have done 2 trips form Chennai to vellore & back. One of them was with 2 adults (including me) & 2 children. The rubber band effect is there when you press the throttle & power takes a bit of time to reflect. But never had a problem in overtaking. Been maintaining speeds of only 80 - 100 on the highway since the car has only around 2000 km on the odo. The car is extremely silent & poised on the highway. The 2 kids that came with me from vellore to chennai were blissfully sleeping in the backseat during the first half of the drive

Not driven on a single lane highway yet but haven't experienced any overtaking issue on the 4/ 6 lane highways

During the trips to vellore & back I got around 16.5 kmpl for the first trip & around 18 kmpl for the second trip (speeds not exceeding 100 kmph). Readings mentioned are that of the on board trip computer

City mileage varies from 10 - 13 kmpl depending on traffic. I would say average around 11 - 12 kmpl

Last edited by akrish01 : 1st March 2020 at 14:22. Reason: added more info
akrish01 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks