Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 12:33   #751
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadaniel View Post
Quick question. Is it advisable to change the Drive Mode while driving? Like can I go from Normal mode to Sport mode when the vehicle is moving at say 80kmph?

It should be absolutely fine to shift to sports mode while driving. I have been doing this for the past 6 years , earlier with my ecosport dct , especially while overtaking , and now with Seltos dct

Last edited by Salnv : 13th April 2020 at 12:35.
Salnv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 12:47   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadaniel View Post
Quick question. Is it advisable to change the Drive Mode while driving? Like can I go from Normal mode to Sport mode when the vehicle is moving at say 80kmph?
A drive mode between normal & sport mode is absolutely fine to do while in motion. No problem. Infact that's how its done on majority of cases on the road - for a quick overtaking move or when road conditions change (like start of an incline of ghat section or nice clear road ahead to spread the legs after a bit of boring ride for some time in traffic). Its a software map change & nothing moves mechanically in this shift - so it doesn't damage everything.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 13:18   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Infact that's how its done on majority of cases on the road - for a quick overtaking move or when road conditions change (like start of an incline of ghat section or nice clear road ahead to spread the legs after a bit of boring ride for some time in traffic).
Just to add to this point, in Seltos one can move the shift lever to right ( towards the driver) on the fly which will make it slot into sports mode straight away - same gate as the manual mode. Quite helpful for quick overtaking manoeuvre.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th April 2020 at 13:22.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 22:20   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Just to add to this point, in Seltos one can move the shift lever to right ( towards the driver) on the fly which will make it slot into sports mode straight away - same gate as the manual mode. Quite helpful for quick overtaking manoeuvre.

Correct, just to add to that I guess the way we get "sports" mode by shifting the lever to the right is different from the way you select the "sports" mode using the mode selector knob in Seltos DCT. I think it is more aggressive. The DIC also acknowledges it by showing a more aggressive DIC with "sports" mode displayed as opposed to just "S" indication in a "regular sports" mode you get by just shifting the lever to the right while the car is in "Normal Mode".
Salnv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 13:54   #755
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the Mirror Link to pair the phone with the Seltos' infotainment system ? Please share details of setting it up if anyone knows. Thanks.

Details on Mirror Link in the attached link. Also attaching the screen grab of that option in my Samsung phone ( Note 9 ).

Some search on the net indicates Kia is a member of the Car Connectivity Consortium that leads Mirror Link.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...hook-up-system
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200416134535_whatsapp.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200416134551_whatsapp.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200416134446_whatsapp.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 19:24   #756
Senior - BHPian

Many cars now have red lights built into the door panel that turn on when the door is opened so that other motorists and cyclists can tell the door is open and (hopefully) not run into it.

Seltos doesn't have this courtesy door light. After having these in my other car , I've always felt it tricky and not confident to open the Seltos' doors in the night especially on highways. Though one tries to be careful, there are still chances of a cyclist or any motorist for that matter missing an ensuing door opening by the driver/ passenger.

I ordered these reflective stickers from amazon and fixed it on spots which I felt is vantage. Pictures below. Thought of sharing this small safety enhancement with fellow bhpians. Hope it helps.

I feel door lights should be made mandatory in all cars - if not the light, at least a reflector ( like the ones mandated for rear bumpers).It costs nothing to put one.

Driver's door Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200424185656_whatsapp.jpg

Rear Right Door

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200424185709_whatsapp.jpg

Front left door

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200424185633_whatsapp.jpg

Amazon link : https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07M6KTNR4/..._o2UD4RKrQfLWb

Name : Coromose 4Pcs/Set Car Door Stickers Safety Reflective Tape Open Sign Warning Mark Car Door Stickers Accessory Diamond Fluorescent red

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th April 2020 at 19:29.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 23:56   #757
Senior - BHPian

So I found out via Youtube that Kia sold the base HTE variants in more colors than what it sells currently(White/Grey). When did they stop selling the red and orange HTE models?
Old 25th April 2020, 00:09   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
So I found out via Youtube that Kia sold the base HTE variants in more colors than what it sells currently(White/Grey). When did they stop selling the red and orange HTE models?
In the initial lot post launch, few units of HTE were available in different colors. They were sent to the dealers who sold to the first few customers. I have seen few copies of Red and just one Orange. However afaik, officially these colors were not available for booking.
Old 25th April 2020, 17:26   #759

I have recently purchased Kia seltos GTX+ DCT in March. I have a few questions regarding the slight niggles that I am facing.

1) I had heard that after the DCT update, the temperature gauge is gone from the MID but since my car came in March, I cannot find any temperature gauge. Has anyone found out a workaround to get it back?
2) The steering wheel is not exactly centre aligned (a bit too much to right for my liking ). I noticed this in one of the test drive cars as well. Is this common or do I need to get this checked at my first service?
3) The wireless charging mat is not exactly flush. I read this on the forum that this is common too.

Also, would like to know thoughts of fellow BHPians on whether I should opt for ceramic coating which is costing me around about 24K with 5 year warranty or is the extra money on PPF worth it?

Finally would like to share the pic of my MID when I first purchased the car from Jalandhar and brought it to Delhi straight from the showroom (as I reside in Delhi )
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_5794.jpg  

Rishi13245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 22:50   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Last few days in our whats app group for Seltos owners, few have reported total battery draining when the car hasn't been started for 4-5 days.

I did a simple test to see how much power is being used by the UVO connected car feature. Hooked up two multimeters to check the current and voltage draw and here are the results:

With all doors closed and locked, about 0.5 watt is being used which is surprisingly low.
This frequently rises to 10 watts every few minutes which is when I think the car is checking with the UVO server for new messages.
I sent a Vehicle Status Update from the UVO app. After receiving this message the power consumption went up to 15 watts and stayed there for a minute, then settling down to 10w and finally 0.5w

With the Seltos battery being 60Ah or roughly 720Wh, even if the car uses 10w all the time, the battery is gonna last at least 72 hours before going low.
I'm assuming that with a new battery, it should last at least a 20-30 days without any vehicle starts in between.

Please note that all the above calculations are based on the data that I collected. My assumptions may be wrong. I've added few pictures of the test. In the last pic the multimeter is picking up stray voltage while not connected

Kia Seltos : Official Review-s1.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-s2jpg.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-s3.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-s4.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 25th April 2020 at 23:08.
jothishX is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 09:03   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi13245 View Post
Also, would like to know thoughts of fellow BHPians on whether I should opt for ceramic coating which is costing me around about 24K with 5 year warranty or is the extra money on PPF worth it?
First of all congratulations on your new vehicle. I see from your dp that you have purchased a black vehicle. Well let me tell you the horrors of a black vehicle.

Even a small grain of dust will be visible from miles on a black vehicle compared to a white vehicle. If you are OCD like me, you end up cleaning it once in 2 days which will end up with swirl marks. Now again being a black vehicle, even small swirl marks will be visible more compared to swirl marks on a white car.

I would strongly suggest PPF from 3M of equivalent brands. PPF will not only retain your company shine, but also protects from swirl marks and minor scratches. Nano coating is overrated.

Happy miles
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 10:05   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jothishX View Post
I'm assuming that with a new battery, it should last at least a 20-30 days without any vehicle starts in between.
Thanks a ton Jothish for the tests and your observations. Appreciate it.

So you mean even if it's a worst case scenario of 10 Watts power consumption incessantly, it can still last 72 hours. Other wise on intermittent pinging it may last 30 days if the battery is new and in top health? ( and with no starts in the interim ).

This may vary from vehicle to vehicle and also depends on the uvo commands and refresh that a user may do with respect to vehicle status.

I've at least heard from 5 Seltos owners about their car battery draining out within 6-7 days of parking and no vehicle starts in between. I guess if the car is parked at a place with intermittent or weak mobile signal ( Vodafone in case of Seltos )this drainage of power can get accentuated. Or is it a case of certain batches of batteries having some defects ? This is the first time so many cars are lying idle owing to lockdown and one wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

So we can conclude if the car is parked in a place with intermittent signal , one should start the car at least every 4-5 days to play it safe and to avoid total drain out ? Even Kia suggests to start the car every 3-4 days to keep the battery in good health.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th April 2020 at 10:10.
Old 26th April 2020, 12:32   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jothishX View Post
This frequently rises to 10 watts every few minutes which is when I think the car is checking with the UVO server for new messages.

With the Seltos battery being 60Ah or roughly 720Wh, even if the car uses 10w all the time, the battery is gonna last at least 72 hours before going low.
Thanks for reporting this data - very interesting.

From a technical perspective, spending 10-15 watts on just communication is pure waste. They should not be spending more than a couple of watts for this. All phones are able to do this, so I'm not sure why Kia needs to spend 15 watts.

Second, you have assumed the full 720Wh for your discharge calculations. In reality, the battery will only be charged to ~80-90% while driving, and the car will fail to start below a certain threshold (20-30%). Hence, we only have 50-60% of the advertised capacity to discharge before the car refuses to start. Also, in areas with weak or non-existent network coverage (like basements), perhaps the software is programmed to keep trying to communicate for longer, which leads to a faster battery drain?

If you monitor the average current over a few hours while parked and use 50% of the capacity to estimate the idle discharge time, that'd be useful. BTW can you switch off the connected services completely to avoid this drain?
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 12:45   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
BTW can you switch off the connected services completely to avoid this drain?
I doubt there's an option to switch off the UVO connect completely. I haven't seen any option in the manual too.

Considering your points, what would be a realistic period in terms of days where the battery can stay alive on the trot without any engine starts in the interim?
Old 26th April 2020, 12:53   #765
BHPian

They should've provided some secondary low capacity battery to serve UVO. It may so happen that during tough times UVO may cause problems in starting the car when the battery ages and nearing its death.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks