Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2020, 21:40   #781
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

One more thing that stands out in that chart - The AT Turbo Petrol stays at a leisurely RPM of 1900 in top gear at 100 kmph as against 2200 for other variants. Guess it's due to the tall 7 th gear available in DCT as against 6 gears in the rest of the line up.

Does the DCT upshift to 7 th when in auto and sports mode together ?
No , in Sports Mode it seems like it sticks to 6th gear without upshifting irrespective of RPM unlike in Normal Mode, however I didn't try higher 3 digit speeds to see if it upshifts though
Old 28th April 2020, 14:21   #782
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
0-100 in 8.96 seconds: 1.4 Turbo Petrol MT

Attachment 1998964

This is a screenshot from Autocar India.

The car is really quick , 0-100 and 1/4 th mile timing is better than even Abarth Punto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
What caught my attention was the 1.5 MPi CVT. That CVT driven NA petrol is faster than the turbo diesel torque converter!!. The CVT petrol is faster than the diesel manual in a quarter mile race. That's underdog in the lineup.

Autocar should get a 1.5 petrol manual too and compare it, that might even better numbers.

One thing I noticed is that the 1.4 Petrol runs on a compression ratio of 10.0:1 whereas the 1.5 NA runs on 11.0:1

I thought the T-GDI would be the one running the higher compression, since its a more modern engine.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 14:52   #783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
One thing I noticed is that the 1.4 Petrol runs on a compression ratio of 10.0:1 whereas the 1.5 NA runs on 11.0:1
I thought the T-GDI would be the one running the higher compression, since its a more modern engine.
I'd say TGDI is a different technology. Yes its modern of course, but the 1.5 NA engine is also modern. Its not an old machine as such.

Also - if you look around, you'll actually see that commuter turbocharged engines generally have lower compression ratios compared to their NA siblings/counterparts. The reason is simple. In case of a turbocharged engine - the air is already significantly compressed by the turbo itself before it goes into the chamber.

Of course, you can always have an even higher compression ratio for turbocharged engine for even more performance. But that would need extra cost for reinforcing the engine block. Economics and engineering work together to come to the best balance of both in modern engines.

Last edited by Reinhard : 28th April 2020 at 14:54.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 17:10   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Cousin buying a Seltos GTK base variant which comes with 215/60/17 Goodyear tyres. Does anyone know the speed rating on them? I'm recommending a change to Michelin P4ST V rated ones.

He's on a very strict budget and I don't want to put too much pressure on him. I'm assuming the change is worth it compared to the stock Goodyears?
Old 28th April 2020, 17:48   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
What’s the speed rating? Hope Kia is providing H rated tires as standard and not S or T rated ones. A vehicle this powerful and capable must always run on proper rubber. You never know when you have that rush of blood and gun it. If I buy a Seltos, I’ll put in V rated Michelins first thing.
Yes Seltos comes with a H rated tyre which means theoretically it can handle speeds upto 210 kmph. I for one would never dare to touch such speeds ( not on public road certainly) on it's stock tyres which is Good Year Assurance. That ' assurance ' part is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to Good years. Attached image of the stock tyre that comes for top variant ( picked up from this same thread )
Kia Seltos : Official Review-2019kiaseltos39.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Cousin buying a Seltos GTK base variant which comes with 215/60/17 Goodyear tyres. Does anyone know the speed rating on them? I'm recommending a change to Michelin P4ST V rated ones.

He's on a very strict budget and I don't want to put too much pressure on him. I'm assuming the change is worth it compared to the stock Goodyears?
I've upgraded my Seltos tyres to Michelin Primacy4 235/55/R 17 - Speed Index W( max speed 270 kmph). It's the perfect upgrade for Seltos since it retains the same diameter, circumference and aspect ratio as the stock tyre besides negligible speedo and odo readings. Yes Michelin's are expensive. My feedback on Michelin from my experience with it can be read from the below post

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4794279 (How many KM did your last set of tyres last?)

Couple of pictures.
Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200428181146_whatsapp.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200428175641_whatsapp.jpg
Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200428175655_whatsapp.jpg

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 28th April 2020 at 18:14. Reason: Images added, few points added
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 08:32   #786
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: STRICTLY no discussions of illegally high speeds please. Some posts have been deleted. If you say you've done it on a closed road, you need to back that up with pictures or a video.

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 11:15   #787
BHPian

Quote:
0-100 in 8.96 seconds: 1.4 Turbo Petrol MT

The car is really quick , 0-100 and 1/4 th mile timing is better than even Abarth Punto
Yes it is definitely quick. Faster than Abarth Punto, but then it is priced 2 times of a decade old Punto. However in real life, where in gear acceleration is what matters, it has a rather tame show.20-80 in 10.05 sec, and 40-100 in 10.6 sec. This is nothing if compared to Punto or even its own DCT sibling. Human can not match the DCT speed, I guess.

So, in a nutshell IMHO it is a quick car, quick from the blocks, good for traffic light drag races and that's it. I will stay with 7DCT variant if I really want to have fun with Seltos with an eye on Transmission temperature..

Last edited by Roadster17 : 29th April 2020 at 11:18.
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 11:21   #788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Yes it is definitely quick. Faster than Abarth Punto, but then it is priced 2 times of a decade old Punto. However in real life, where in gear acceleration is what matters, it has a rather tame show.20-80 in 10.05 sec, and 40-100 in 10.6 sec. This is nothing if compared to Punto or even its own DCT sibling. Human can not match the DCT speed, I guess.

So, in a nutshell IMHO it is a quick car, quick from the blocks, good for traffic light drag races and that's it. I will stay with 7DCT variant if I really want to have fun with Seltos with an eye on Transmission temperature..
Just to better understand this figure. The reason the 20-80kph is more is because the transmission kicks down from a much higher gear. A DCT is slower to downshift vs upshift. However the figures for DCT are so low because it is not really 3rd gear. In kickdown the gearbox will downshift to second or even first. So it is not really 3rd gear acceleration for DCT.

Also, this can be fooled by using paddles or manual mode provided the system allows 3rd gear at 20kph.

For a MT transmission you don't have to downshift before acceleration since you are in 3rd already and 20-80 is without any gear shift. It will be slower since it needs to be pick up from 20kmph in 3rd and no downshifts.

For CVT/TC it is also less work. In DCT, we need to see which gear the box chooses. If you press the accelerator at 20kph aggressively it will go to second or even 1st which will be pointless. In gear is a moot figure in DCT boxes cause they take advantage of quick shifts so 20-80 in a single gear is rare. With 7 gears you get taller gearing in higher gears but can pack the ratios closer which means more shifts.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th April 2020 at 13:22.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 11:32   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just to better understand this figure. The reason the 20-80kph is more is because the transmission kicks down from a much higher gear. A DCT is slower to downshift vs upshift.
Hey Vidyut, Thanks for the explanation ! But, some bit were bouncers for me.

So does that mean that if some one is doing 20 kmph on a MT will be quicker to 80 kmph if compared to say a DCT one with same engine or DCT will be quicker..
Old 29th April 2020, 11:51   #790
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So does that mean that if some one is doing 20 kmph on a MT will be quicker to 80 kmph if compared to say a DCT one with same engine or DCT will be quicker..
Ideally the DCT will always be quicker than the MT in these test conditions because you keep the MT in 3rd gear and just mash the accelerator. There will be more lag vs the DSG which will kickdown and disappear.

In real world driving you never really do 20-80 kmph in a single gear.

In a DCT if you reach 20kmph, the gearbox could be in 2nd or 3rd (I don't know what the seltos does). Then at 20kmph if you mash the throttle, it will downshift to lowest gear to give you max acceleration and then again upshift. Moreover between 20-80kmph there maybe an upshift at 40-60kmph.

That's why if you see it mentions in gear acceleration (kickdown). The DCT will be faster cause it goes down a gear.

An experienced driver with manual transmission can get better acceleration from MT but real world use, DCT will be way quicker, cause of the shifts and keeping engine in power band.

Basically the test figures can't be taken at face value for DCT since there are gear shifts involved but the MT is just acceleration in 1 gear.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th April 2020 at 11:57.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 13:28   #791
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Ok so I re-read my post and then went back to check the figures and realised I had not only confused you but myself as well. lol. So here is final summary:

1. DCT kickdown figure is 5.71s for 20-80kmph is so good because this is not really in gear acceleration. The gearbox will kickdown to 2nd or 1st when you mash the throttle which means it is in power band always. It doesn't really remain in 3rd gear.

2. MT is 10.05s for 20-80kmph in 3rd gear cause in 3rd gear at 20kmph it is completely out of the power band and turbo hasn't spooled up yet. By the time the turbo spools and delivers power, the DCT has downshifted and reached 80kmph. The MT is now in power band by 40-50kph in 3rd and then picks up.

I hope I have not confused anyone further and above is clear.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 13:54   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ok so I re-read my post and then went back to check the figures and realised I had not only confused you but myself as well. lol. So here is final summary:

I hope I have not confused anyone further and above is clear.
It was an entertaining albeit thoroughly confusing read.

As a rule, automatics (in full automatic mode) will always be faster during in-gear acceleration because they will be in the meat of the powerband at all times. The manuals as you have explained, will take some time before they reach their powerband, hence will be comparatively slower during in-gear acceleration.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 14:16   #793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However in real life, where in gear acceleration is what matters, it has a rather tame show.20-80 in 10.05 sec, and 40-100 in 10.6 sec. This is nothing if compared to Punto
20 kmph in 3rd or 40 kmph in 4th, the car is not in it's power band.

Nothing when compared to Punto ? Abarth is slower than Seltos 1.4 MT even at in-gear acceleration. Abarth takes good 3 seconds (13.55 vs 10.6) more to accelerate from 40-100 in 4th gear .

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 29th April 2020 at 14:18.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 15:45   #794
BHPian

Quote:
20 kmph in 3rd or 40 kmph in 4th, the car is not in it's power band.

Nothing when compared to Punto ? Abarth is slower than Seltos 1.4 MT even at in-gear acceleration. Abarth takes good 3 seconds (13.55 vs 10.6) more to accelerate from 40-100 in 4th gear .
It is not only the numbers alone that matter, Sir. Seltos is nowhere near when we compare the ride, handling and the steering feel that Punto provides leave aside the Abarth Punto. It is only the erognomics and driving position that spoils the experience a bit.

If this car was in hands of Koreans or Japnese sellers it would have been a huge success. If there is one company that knows how to kill its own products trust FCA for this.

FCA has all the ingredients that make a great dish and good cooks too, but doesn't have the experts needed to sell that dish, so in their stupidity they sell the ingredients, which make that great dish (read engines) to other master sellers who by virtue of being good marketers make good profit from their stupidity viz.Maruti, Tata , MG to name a few.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th April 2020 at 14:34. Reason: Typo
Sandeep500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 15:51   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
It is not only the numbers alone that matter, Sir. Seltos is nowhere near when we compare the ride, handling and the steering feel that Punto provides leave aside the Abarth Punto. It is only the erognomics and driving position that spoils the experience a bit.

If this car was in hands of Koreans or Japnese sellers it would have been a huge success. If there is one company that knows how to kill its own products trust FCA for this.
I agree!! Personally I would pick up Abarth Punto over Seltos any day. But I won't keep it stock

My intention was only to point out how quick the Seltos is

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th April 2020 at 14:34. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks