Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2020, 15:50   #826
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
0-100 in 8.96 seconds: 1.4 Turbo Petrol MT

Attachment 1998964

This is a screenshot from Autocar India.

The car is really quick , 0-100 and 1/4 th mile timing is better than even Abarth Punto
With higher power (especially Turbo Petrol), i thought Selto's would hit a quarter mile even quicker.

Figo Diesel in the high 16's and both the sub 4 meter SUV around 17.7 (Venue with 1.4 diesel)

What could be the factors for the differences in time (Why Seltos is slower)? Weight? Testing method (But all were done by Auto Car India)? Gear ratio's?

Last edited by Rohit_Quad : 4th May 2020 at 16:18.
Old 4th May 2020, 16:27   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
With higher power (especially Turbo Petrol), i thought Selto's would hit a quarter-mile even quicker.
Figo Diesel in the high 16's and both the sub 4 meter SUV around 17.7 (Venue with 1.4 diesel)
"(Venue with 1.4 diesel)" - My Bad, the Venue is with the 1.0 Turbo petrol. Guess the Venue will be in the 16's with the Kia's 1.5 Diesel mill. Something to look forward to

Last edited by navin : 4th May 2020 at 17:07. Reason: removed video from quoted text
Old 5th May 2020, 18:28   #828
BHPian

Hey everyone, I plan on buying the HTX IVT version, I have a few questions, so anyone who owns the car or has test driven it extensively would be in the best position to answer these.

1. In the absence of any hill hold, etc, does the car roll back on inclines?
2. Hows the overall performance of the IVT with the well known rubber band effect? Are there any jerks in shifting or lack of power?
3. How are the overall plastics and quality of material ?
4. Are the connected car really useful or just gimmicks?
5. I took the test drive of the GTX AT as well as the HTK Plus diesel AT, however the IVT simply not available for a test drive in my city, would you suggest I proceed without the TD, since the other two drove quite well?

Many thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th May 2020 at 19:35. Reason: Typos, spacing fixed.
Old 6th May 2020, 12:52   #829
BHPian

Seltos Turbo Petrol DCT hits the quarter mile in 17.59secs. In comparison the Venue Turbo petrol manual hits the quarter mile in 17.76secs.
Old 6th May 2020, 12:52   #830
Senior - BHPian

Turbo Petrol DCT Drag race
Kia Seltos
MG Hector

Old 6th May 2020, 21:19   #831
BHPian

Quote:

Seltos Turbo Petrol DCT hits the quarter mile in 17.59secs. In comparison the Venue Turbo petrol manual hits the quarter mile in 17.76secs.
Yes, this is surprising. A difference of mere 0.16 seconds and With MG hector, just a second difference. I had lot of expectation. If we look at the aura around Kia Seltos 1.4 DCT, - claimed as the fastest car below 20 lacs in India ( only in terms of 0-100) and then see it having tough time with a rookie "venue". It gets interesting.
That is precisely why I have been advocating that 0-100 is just one criteria to judge a car's performance. Quarter mile, roll on acceleration, kick down mode, suspension, steering feedback, chasis, brakes,etc. all form a ecosystem to make one. I am not saying Seltos lacks on these, but the cloud of being the fastest vehicle under 20 lacs got burst. A better driver in the Venue can compete and beat Seltos on road or a track. Vice versa is also true.
Just for reference - Quarter mile performances for some turbos out there ( from Internet sources) - Not much of a difference I can see. May be it is all about how it reaches to quarter mile, the push in the seat matters more. They say it is not about the destination, it is how you reach there matter more.

Octavia 1.8 TSI ( Can be had for under 22 lacs - Onyx edition after discounts) - 16.7 sec ( Quick off the blocks, remain same throughout)
Jeep Compass 1.4 petrol - 17.44 sec ( slow off the block, and then goes like a cruise missile)
Seltos - 17.59 sec ( ballastic at start and then tapers out)
Venue - 17.76 sec
Ford Ecosport 1.0 turbo petrol - 17.9 seconds
MG hector turbo petrol - 18.5 sec

Last edited by ajmat : 10th May 2020 at 20:04. Reason: Spelling error
Roadster17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 21:48   #832
BANNED

Quote:

So thats a difference of 0.17 seconds, which would have been easily made up if the Venue DCT was tested, instead of the manual.

Got to admit, the 1.0 is no slouch either.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 22:32   #833
BHPian

Quote:
With higher power (especially Turbo Petrol), i thought Selto's would hit a quarter mile even quicker.

What could be the factors for the differences in time (Why Seltos is slower)? Weight? Testing method (But all were done by Auto Car India)? Gear ratio's?
Indeed, a dumb method to test drag race winner. Drivers should have been interchanged in next run before going for a conclusion. With method shown above, there is a good chance even a faster car might lose with a slow driver in it.
Or am I missing something all together
Old 7th May 2020, 04:56   #834
BHPian

Quote:
So, I am not surprised that IVT left behind the diesel in 0 - 100 mark. And I like this fact cause I drive a Seltos IVT
Would you be able to throw some light on the overall drivability of the IVT variant, especially on inclines since I'm made to understand that it lacks any of kind of hill assist.

I am actually torn between the creta Ivt and the seltos Ivt, because for 1 Lac extra the creta adds in the missing safety features and tops it up with a panoramic sunroof as well, however I just cant get myself to like the look of the creta, in that aspect the seltos wins hands down.

On a side note I have driven the turbo petrol on a test drive and they just dont seem to have the IVT available for a TD.

The SA says there isnt much difference but looking for some real inputs.

Many thanks !

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th May 2020 at 10:31. Reason: fixed quote
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 07:21   #835
BHPian

Are there any Seltos' here that have performance upgrades to perform better in a drag strip? Does mapping the horsepower to 170 (done by 1) would make any kind of difference on road behaviour?

http://www.cartoq.com/custom-kia-seltos-remapped/amp/
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-kiaseltossuvmodified.jpeg  

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 7th May 2020 at 07:23.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 07:52   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
2. Hows the overall performance of the IVT with the well known rubber band effect? Are there any jerks in shifting or lack of power?
The below link should help you a bit with this query.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-416310
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 17:35   #837

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Hey everyone, I plan on buying the HTX IVT version, I have a few questions, so anyone who owns the car or has test driven it extensively would be in the best position to answer these.

1. In the absence of any hill hold, etc, does the car roll back on inclines?
3. How are the overall plastics and quality of material ?
4. Are the connected car really useful or just gimmicks?
5. I took the test drive of the GTX AT as well as the HTK Plus diesel AT, however the IVT simply not available for a test drive in my city, would you suggest I proceed without the TD, since the other two drove quite well?

Many thanks.
Hi. I do drive a Seltos IVT and would try to answer your queries:

1. This doubt bothered me a lot as well when I was researching the car to buy. There is no Hill Hold Control on the IVT model . So, your concern is valid. But, the CVT also has a torque converter through which the engine output is transferred. This torque converter, like any other torque converter, increases torque and transfer powerful kinetic force when moving off. So, the answer is: no. The IVT Seltos won't roll down provided the slope is not too steep. As you move your feet from the brake it either crawls up very slowly or stays at the place. You have enough time to press the accelerator and move comfortably.

2. Shifting is very smooth if the accelerator is pressed smoothly. If you press the accelerator very hard and abruptly it gives a jolt as if it shifts down by one or two gears. For my full view on this, please refer to my earlier post no. 644 on page 43 of this thread.

Again, as I was quite apprehensive about the lack of power especially during overtaking. Before Seltos, I had driven only a manual and I had no idea how the IVT will behave. But, I took a leap of faith and I am quite pleased that I never felt any lack of power. Just press the accelerator and IVT will take care of shifting to the right gear ratio and scoot off.

3. Good, the cabin feels premium.

4. I don't use it much.

5. I bought the IVT without a test drive. As mentioned in my previous post (644, page 43), I was so spooked by the DCT gearbox issues (after going through many Volkswagen and Skoda DCT problem threads) along with the news of the fire in Kia turbocharged engines (https://www.cars.com/articles/hyunda...757087766-2-0/) that the only automatic option left was IVT model so I bought it without any test drive! Maybe Kia realises that IVT is so good that after experiencing it people may not go for the costlier DCT models. So, Kia is knowingly not providing IVT models for test drive. Smart strategy.

I hope my answers above help to reduce your confusion a bit.
MasterChief is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 19:34   #838
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody managed to negotiate and manage to get some discount on the Seltos here? The only dealer in town tells me the pricing sheet is the only offer. Take it or leave it is the hint I'm getting.
Old 8th May 2020, 19:50   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post

1. This doubt bothered me a lot as well when I was researching the car to buy. There is no Hill Hold Control on the IVT model . So, your concern is valid. But, the CVT also has a torque converter through which the engine output is transferred. This torque converter, like any other torque converter, increases torque and transfer powerful kinetic force when moving off. So, the answer is: no. The IVT Seltos won't roll down provided the slope is not too steep. As you move your feet from the brake it either crawls up very slowly or stays at the place. You have enough time to press the accelerator and move comfortably.
Congrats on your purchase! Excellent choice. If I were to buy an SUV, Seltos CVT would be my only choice. I'm not at all a fan of DCT/AMTs. For me torque converter is the best AT followed by CVT. That said, I would also probably have waited for Kicks CVT. That one has very tempting power/torque numbers.

If it's not too much to ask, post interior pics of your ride. I made two trips to Kia showroom, before covid onset, and they had none on display. I mean the CVT variant. Your is top variant or the one below that?

And, why do people seem so hung up on hill-hold in AT cars? As though all MT cars have this feature. In an AT car, it's already clucth-less. So no problem of stalling your car coming off clutch. Even without hill-hold, you can step off brake and step on accelerator the next second. In that 1-second, the car wouldn't roll back, unless the incline is over 40 degrees. Even if it's 40 degrees or over, the rollback would be very slow, unlike in an MT car which would start racing backwards.
Old 9th May 2020, 20:24   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

If it's not too much to ask, post interior pics of your ride. I made two trips to Kia showroom, before covid onset, and they had none on display. I mean the CVT variant. Your is top variant or the one below that?
Seltos IVT comes in only one model - HTX. The interior is exactly like manual HTX except for the gear lever, which is again like that used in TC or DCT models. So, to get the real feel you can check any of the above (manual HTX for interior and any automatic for the gear lever). For a virtual feel, I have posted pics of my car for you below:

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20191226_180625.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20191226_180704.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200121_141150.jpg

I have also posted an exterior pic as well in bright sunlight with the IVT logo visible on the side, which is the only cue that it's a CVT model.
MasterChief is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks