Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2020, 21:21   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Please refer to the post by pgsagar (page 43, no. 645 of this thread) where he has explained clutch-action in different types of automatics and how the duty of the clutch is handled by the liquid torque converter in CVT.
Thanks. I am no automobile engineer but I do read up on stuff out of personal interest, like most T-bhpians do. Yes, both CVT and TC have torque converters. Hence, TC are called just automatic in US. Or, Traditional Automatics, after the advent of DCTs and CVTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaanSingh View Post
Apparently Honda City CVT also has this Torque Converter and it's pretty good.
Not all traditional CVTs have it though as per this question on Quora
Ref in block: it can't be. Every CVT or for that matter any automatic or even manual has to have a clutch or clutch type device for smooth gradual transmission of engine power to wheels. Therefore, every CVT has to have a torque converter. Or, a centrifugal clutch we see on Honda Activa kind of scooters. But centrifugal clutches are used on relatively lower-powered scooters and not on cars, to the best of my knowledge.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 21:22   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I tried that. But it still honks only while unlocking.

Lock is still silent. None of headlights/ovrm lights blink either.
Well then it's abnormal. Would recommend you take this matter to Kia. It might be due to battery issue or loose wiring or a software glitch. I personally wish we could use the honk noise as a legit horn and switch between sounds.
Old 13th May 2020, 22:02   #858
BHPian

Quote:
I tried that. But it still honks only while unlocking.

Lock is still silent. None of headlights/ovrm lights blink either.
Though i don't own a Kia, this same thing happens in my VW GT TSI. No indicator signs while locking, while unlocking, it looks normal. Atleast in my car, this happens only in the specific scenario when any one of the doors including the hatch is not closed properly. It usually turns out to be the hatch, as its the least checked. Just make sure all the doors are properly shut and try it again. If problem persists even then, a visit to ASS is warranted.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 22:45   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Though i don't own a Kia, this same thing happens in my VW GT TSI. No indicator signs while locking, while unlocking, it looks normal. Atleast in my car, this happens only in the specific scenario when any one of the doors including the hatch is not closed properly. It usually turns out to be the hatch, as its the least checked. Just make sure all the doors are properly shut and try it again. If problem persists even then, a visit to ASS is warranted.

That is sorta interesting. While driving back home my car suddenly started chiming half way through and apparently the front passenger side door was open as per the display. I pulled over and opened and shut the door. Will check your solution tomorrow. I guess there must be some issue with the door's sensor as it was clearly shut and the car only picked it up after covering some distance.

Thank you for your input. Will help me narrow down the issue with ASS in case it continues.

Last edited by psbali : 13th May 2020 at 22:49. Reason: Rephrased
Old 14th May 2020, 00:53   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. My seltos htk+ has suddenly stopped honking and blinking when i LOCK my car. But when I UNLOCK it still honks and flashes.

The only way i know that the car is getting locked is when ovrms fold and i hear/see the locks clicking.

Tried the hold lock and unlock 10 seconds thing.

I am a paranoid fellow and the locking feedback is a very important feature for me.
I have always deactivated the lock/unlock horn hence I never experienced the same however it could mean that usual locking procedure cannot be completed by car due to boot/bonnet/doors open or respective sensor is faulty. This is a wild guess since you mentioned that it works with unlocking hence it is unlikely to be a software glitch IMHO
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 02:19   #861
FGP

Quote:
Hi. My seltos htk+ has suddenly stopped honking and blinking when i LOCK my car. But when I UNLOCK it still honks and flashes.

The only way i know that the car is getting locked is when ovrms fold and i hear/see the locks clicking.

Tried the hold lock and unlock 10 seconds thing.

I am a paranoid fellow and the locking feedback is a very important feature for me.
Most probably, the tailgate of the car is possibly not shut properly or the sensor for the tailgate has malfunctioned.

As per the owners manual (pg. 98, 4----10) for the remote control key, "However, if any door, engine hood or tailgate remains open, the hazard warning lights will not operate. If all doors, engine hood and tailgate are closed after the lock button is pressed, the hazard warning lights will blink once."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnv View Post
I have always deactivated the lock/unlock horn hence I never experienced the same however it could mean that usual locking procedure cannot be completed by car due to boot/bonnet/doors open or respective sensor is faulty. This is a wild guess since you mentioned that it works with unlocking hence it is unlikely to be a software glitch IMHO

I don't think its the doors as Seltos' with the smart key actually have a function where on pressing the sensor/button on the driver door handle, a loud chime can be heard if any of the doors are open or the smart key is in the car. This chime is not activated when the tailgate is open though. Since no chime is being heard by psbali, the most likely issue appears to be the tailgate and/or its sensor.
FGP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 08:39   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGP View Post
Most probably, the tailgate of the car is possibly not shut properly or the sensor for the tailgate has malfunctioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnv View Post

I opened and shut all the doors and that seems to have done it. The honk is back.

Will keep an eye out and get the door sensors checked. Hope it is not a very big issue as the car completed 1000 kms just two days ago.
Old 15th May 2020, 12:28   #863
BHPian

And here it goes..Seltos is even slower than Innova to a quarter mile test. Seriously? Absolutely not expected from a vehicle which is supposedly the fastest moving thing below 20 lacs In India.

The one it beats ( Venue and XUV 300) is also right on its neck. They are so close that Seltos can feel their breath. It only beats them by fraction of a second ( and almost half the price).

Hector and Civic should not even try acting smart on road.They are easy runovers.

As per autocarindia drag races https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...ace-day-416376 the podium looks like this :

Quarter mile test :

1 Ford Figo S - 16.988sec - Diesel
2 Toyota Innova Touring Sport, 2.8 diesel AT- 17.104 sec - Diesel
3 Volkswagen Polo GT TDI- 17.501 sec- Diesel
4 Kia Seltos 1.4 Petrol DCT- 17.599 sec- Petrol
5 Mahindra XUV300 1.2 petrol MT- 17.746 sec- Petrol
6 Hyundai Venue 1.0 petrol MT- 17.763 sec- Petrol
7 Honda Civic petrol CVT- 18.664 sec- Petrol
8 MG hector Petrol DCT- 18.747 sec - Petrol
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 13:05   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Quarter mile test :

1 Ford Figo S - 16.988sec - Diesel
2 Toyota Innova Touring Sport, 2.8 diesel AT- 17.104 sec - Diesel
3 Volkswagen Polo GT TDI- 17.501 sec- Diesel
4 Kia Seltos 1.4 Petrol DCT- 17.599 sec- Petrol
5 Mahindra XUV300 1.2 petrol MT- 17.746 sec- Petrol
6 Hyundai Venue 1.0 petrol MT- 17.763 sec- Petrol
7 Honda Civic petrol CVT- 18.664 sec- Petrol
8 MG hector Petrol DCT- 18.747 sec - Petrol
Well, in that case, the Innova would be even more ashamed. Figo, which costs 1/3 the price and sports almost half the engine size of the Innova 2.8, is faster (and more fuel efficient!).

On a serious note, an enthusiast gets a variety of options, at different price points and, with different body types which can quench their thirst for performance too. Perfect everyday sleeper cars!

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th May 2020 at 13:07.
Old 15th May 2020, 13:15   #865
Senior - BHPian

Both Innova 2.8 AT and Polo GT TDI is not sold since BS6. So among the cars that actually sell in India currently, Seltos is still a fast performer.
Old 15th May 2020, 13:54   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Well, in that case, the Innova would be even more ashamed. Figo, which costs 1/3 the price and sports almost half the engine size of the Innova 2.8, is faster (and more fuel efficient!).

On a serious note, an enthusiast gets a variety of options, at different price points and, with different body types which can quench their thirst for performance too. Perfect everyday sleeper cars!
On another serious note , I totally agree to your points. Its only that, I have not seen Toyota Marketing team and owners claiming Innova as fastest in its segment. It is just couple of Seltos owners who claimed that, and this article is an eye opener for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Both Innova 2.8 AT and Polo GT TDI is not sold since BS6. So among the cars that actually sell in India currently, Seltos is still a fast performer.
Yes agreed, it is a fast car. If you look at the list of cars, it is just randomly picked. However, even there Seltos is the fastest petrol vehicle in the list. However the margin of victory from Venue and XUV 300 is razor thin. The list does not have other cars which would be faster to the quarter mile and below 20 lakhs. So, does it justify to brag that it is the fastest and most fun to drive vehicle in its segment. I mean anyone can say anything, let's have data for that.

Try Octavia petrol manual or 1.8 DSG to have a benchmark for being called as the fastest car in this segment.
Old 15th May 2020, 18:20   #867
BHPian

Experts and Gurus need your advise and suggestions.

After mulling over it, have decided I will want to remap my Seltos Diesel. Few initial questions,

1) what's the general BHP and Torque bump one sees with a remap.

2) is there any good tuner in Chennai that can do this

3) what are the general costs of this

4) can this be unmapped (let's say I need to take it to the annual service and don't want to void my warranty)

Unrelated can someone recommend a decent brand of underseat sub woofer, not very pricey, budget / entry level pricing would do.
Old 15th May 2020, 22:57   #868
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
1) what's the general BHP and Torque bump one sees with a remap.
I have a Hyundai Creta 1.6L CRDI and here is the data for my car (link to thread):
1. Power
Stock: 126 BHP
Tuned: 160 BHP

2. Torque
Stock: 260 Nm
Tuned: 325 Nm

It shall be similar in terms of figures for the 1.5 U2 CRDi.

Quote:
2) is there any good tuner in Chennai that can do this
You can contact Wolf Moto or any other tuner and they will coordinate with you and help you get the remap.

Quote:
3) what are the general costs of this
Expected to be between ₹25,000-₹27,000. Might be slightly more for a BS6 car as the work required to be done on the file is more than a BS4 one.

Quote:
4) can this be unmapped (let's say I need to take it to the annual service and don't want to void my warranty)
Yes. Any number of times as you want. When I had remapped my car, I had to open the ECU to take a read of the stock map and then rewrite the new file into the ECU but with new updates, the same can be done without opening the ECU.

I have reverted to stock on my Creta just a while before lockdown and the process to do the job was just 1 hour without the need to open the ECU. Shall be remapping my car once the lockdown is lifted so that I can drive down to Bangalore and remap my car.

Quote:
Unrelated can someone recommend a decent brand of underseat subwoofer, not very pricey, budget / entry-level pricing would do.
What is the maximum budget allocation? Look for active underseat ones as they have an amplifier inbuilt so it shall sound a bit better. You can look at Pioneer, Blaupunkt, JVC ones. Some options below, scout locally for better deals:

1. Pioneer TS-WX130EA - ₹16,000 (On amazon it is for ₹9,800)

2. JBL BassPro SL 8-inch - ₹14,000

3. Blaupunkt XLF8A 8-inch - ₹11,000

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th May 2020 at 22:58.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 23:04   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have a Hyundai Creta 1.6L CRDI and here is the data for my car (link to thread):
1. Power
Stock: 126 BHP
Tuned: 160 BHP

2. Torque
Stock: 260 Nm
Tuned: 325 Nm
Thank you so much. So we are talking an approx 21% bump in power? So my Kia should go from 115 to 140? That's a pretty decent bump in power. And a similar 20% bump in torque.

If I may ask a follow up question, the torque band, is it like distributed evenly or is it on the lower rpm band or mid? Like how is this decided?

I will definitely go read your thread now.

And the Blaupunkt seems just fine. Was looking at 7-10k as I already have the fancy Bose system but it has been underwhelming as far as Bass goes.
Old 15th May 2020, 23:11   #870
BANNED

Quote:
If I may ask a followup question, the torque band, is it like distributed evenly or is it on the lower rpm band or mid? Like how is this decided?
While you discuss with the tuner, just inform them how you want the spread of power and torque to be. Like is it for better low-end or midrange or the top of the revv range etc.

I was specific that the remap was done to help increase driveability, so torque spread must be focused at the low-end making it effortless to drive in city traffic. The midrange was also bumped up slightly.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks