Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2020, 12:24   #1216
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Hey Guys!!

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but is it possible to get some of the post update Seltos features atleast UVO related like the voice control activated on the pre updated variants? I checked with my service advisor last week and he said they have no information yet while his boss said it’s not possible to get the features activated in the older variants.

Regards,
VVB
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:14   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
I would like to start my team-bhp journey by thanking all the esteemed members of this forum, especially those who are contributing on the Seltos thread. Your views, reviews, observations and opinions have helped immensely to shape my thought process culminating in a Seltos parked in my garage today. A BIG thank you for one and all !
Hi Mankuthimma. Welcome to TBHP. Many congratulations on your new Seltos. Wish you many safe and happy miles in it.

Not able to PM you since you are a newbie. And you seem to have disabled 'receive email' option. So here is something I wanted to tell you: cool TBHP handle I'm not a native of Karnataka but have heard a lot about DVG and his writings from my office colleagues in Bengaluru
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:34   #1218
BHPian

Can someone confirm the cost of GT variant Alloys, LED fog lamps and Roof rails of Seltos? I am on very tight budget, and planning for HTE variant. Just for few upgrades like Touch screen, roof rails and fog lamps HTK variant is a whopping 1.3 lakhs costlier.
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:15   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Can someone confirm the cost of GT variant Alloys, LED fog lamps and Roof rails of Seltos? I am on very tight budget, and planning for HTE variant. Just for few upgrades like Touch screen, roof rails and fog lamps HTK variant is a whopping 1.3 lakhs costlier.

Hi. Isnt the difference between HTE and HTK just 30 to 40thousand? You must be comparing HTE and HTK+
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:23   #1220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest to upgrade to the HTK and get aftermarket alloys or the HTK+ alloys. This ensures your warranty is intact!

GT line comes with 17" alloys so you need to change the tyres as well (stock HTE is 16"). Alloys cost around 45k for four of them. Ice cube fog lamps are around 15k for the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Hi. Isnt the difference between HTE and HTK just 30 to 40thousand? You must be comparing HTE and HTK+
No, he is right. The price difference is 1.3L for the diesel variants.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:37   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Yeah sorry, forgot to mention, I was comparing Diesel variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I would suggest to upgrade to the HTK and get aftermarket alloys or the HTK+ alloys. This ensures your warranty is intact!
I am planning to get them installed in Kia service center only, if possible. Even if I go with HTK, I need alloys, so better to go with base variant. Only touch screen, I will get installed aftermarket.

Like I said, tight on budget. I would get all accessories and alloys installed with those extra 1.3 lakhs. I am selling my TUV due to AMT issues, and it has created a deep hole in my pocket.

45k seems reasonable for GT Alloys, they look dope. 15k for just fog lamps is exorbitant price, but again looks dope. Additional 25k for touch screen and reverse camera and I am good.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:53   #1222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, tight on budget. I would get all accessories and alloys installed with those extra 1.3 lakhs. I am selling my TUV due to AMT issues, and it has created a deep hole in my pocket.
I read your experience with the TUV, first the rusting issues and then the recurring AMT issues. Sorry about your ordeal. I hope the new vehicle serves you flawlessly.

Quote:
I am planning to get them installed in Kia service center only, if possible. Even if I go with HTK, I need alloys, so better to go with base variant. Only touch screen, I will get installed aftermarket.
Get a quotation from the local dealer and also check with them if they are providing any ICE options too. I am skeptical only about the after-market ICE and its warranty implications.

Quote:
45k seems reasonable for GT Alloys, they look dope. 15k for just fog lamps is exorbitant price, but again looks dope. Additional 25k for touch screen and reverse camera and I am good.
Do factor in the cost for bigger tyres as well if you are getting those GT alloys.

PS: Since the Seltos and Creta are twins, in case you are okay with the design/brand, do check the Creta E variant as well. See if there are any discounts with dealers and if they provide similar OEM accessories. The landed cost of Creta E vs. Seltos HTE with similar accessories, could help you decide better.

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd August 2020 at 12:59.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:50   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Get a quotation from the local dealer and also check with them if they are providing any ICE options too. I am skeptical only about the after-market ICE and its warranty implications.

PS: Since the Seltos and Creta are twins, in case you are okay with the design/brand, do check the Creta E variant as well. See if there are any discounts with dealers and if they provide similar OEM accessories.
I read somewhere in the forum that Kia doesn't allow ICE update at dealer level, remaining all can be done.

My father owns a 2019 Creta SX(O) variant, do not want two Cretas in our garage , one of the reasons why I am inclined towards Seltos is they share same engine, I like the way Creta drives.

I am planning to get new car in early 2021, due to covid situation, I am not using my vehicle from last 4 months. I think it's better to get a 2021 manufactured Seltos, also waiting for Citroen C5 pricing details, Sonet release and Magnite as well before I finalize.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 18:21   #1224
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a quick question around Seltos and insurance. The dealer is charging an exorbitant amount for insurance in the quote - around 62k and it's a "Kia preferred" insurance with a slew of insurance companies.

My sales guy offered an alternate quote where the insurance is from Tata AIG and is costing around 40k. The difference is this..
  1. Kia insurance gives me unlimited NCB based claims in 1 year while Tata AIG gives 2.
  2. Kia covers 50k for lost/stolen key while Tata AIG covers 25k.
  3. Kia covers rodent bite while Tata AIG does not.

Is point 1 legit?

Around point 2, I have never really lost keys or had my keys stolen. I know insurance is all about planning for the things that have very little probability of happening, but do people lose the keyfob? In other words, is this worth the extra 20k?

I have had a rat once chew into the wiper fluid cable with my Brio and it did not really cost much to be replaced. So is point 3 worth it?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Mods, I am not sure if this post needs to be in another thread. I saw some similar Seltos+insurance related queries here, but they were more about how to get insurance outside of the showroom than about the differences. Please move this to another thread so if needed.
Old 3rd August 2020, 18:56   #1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
[list=1][*]Kia insurance gives me unlimited NCB based claims in 1 year while Tata AIG gives 2.[*]Kia covers 50k for lost/stolen key while Tata AIG covers 25k.[*]Kia covers rodent bite while Tata AIG does not.
So I was basically in the same spot. Went with the TATA AIG one and had the same quote initially. I think we included some add ones and the final amount was somewhere around 43k. And here are my views on your points:
- thought the unlimited NCB is an overkill. KIA did assure me though, that the deal is real.
- again, don’t think that’s a concern or didn’t appreciate that as a scenario.
- have never faced this issue before ( and hoping I don’t in future )

Hope this helps.
SSR0608 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 19:24   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Kia covers rodent bite while Tata AIG does not.
Interesting point here, I would suggest to add this rodent bite option in Tata AIG if possible, I had rodents issue from day 1 in my TUV. Recently they attacked my wiring and it had to be towed to service center for repair. They said new wiring set costs 70k+labor and it does not cover under warranty. Thankfully they were able to fix it without replacement. I was charged 6k for repairs. If you do not have rodent issue, then you can skip it.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:31   #1227
BHPian

Quote:

My sales guy offered an alternate quote where the insurance is from Tata AIG and is costing around 40k. The difference is this..
  1. Kia insurance gives me unlimited NCB based claims in 1 year while Tata AIG gives 2.
  2. Kia covers 50k for lost/stolen key while Tata AIG covers 25k.
  3. Kia covers rodent bite while Tata AIG does not.
Hello Narain,

I too was quoted 62k for my GTX+ D-AT, when i was buying in March this year. I was told 1001 advantages of buying insurance from them or there will be hassles in case of claims. I stood my ground & told them to match my quote or let me take insurance on my own. Or else, I walk out and take my business elsewhere.

I took quote from my friend who was into insurance industry & gave me the exact same benefits offered by Kia for 51k. The same was matched by Kia.

I suggest you do the same. Be polite,yet firm. When they sense they're losing a potential business, they'll agree.

P.S Which version are you buying?! 40k is a very good deal if its for a GTX+ D-AT!!

Happy Hunting,
Powertrain
Old 4th August 2020, 07:42   #1228
BHPian

Hey all, hoping to seek answers to a few questions bugging me about the Seltos

1. How bad is the ride quality of the Seltos over bad roads? I had test drove the Seltos last month over some undulating roads and highways and found the ride to be quite good. Couldn't find any bad roads during the course of that test drive, so I have no idea about it.

2. How good is the all LED lights and fogs? Saw a couple of youtube videos showcasing this and found the throw to be pretty good. But wouldn't LEDs be bad for driving at night, through fog and rain? Can any of the owners confirm?

3. Given that the Creta, which is basically the same car, comes with panoramic sunroof and paddle shifters, isn't there a strong chance that Kia will offer these too in the next update/facelift?

4. How useful is the 360 degree camera and lane watch systems in real life scenarios? I ask this because it feels a bit counter intuitive to look at the MID and then the mirrors in case of lane change maneuvers. 360 camera is obviously useful, but is there a speed limit over which it isn't functional?

5. Regarding the UVO apps, how big is the delay in pressing the command button and it being executed? Do we have a dedicated thread or post detailing out the working of UVO apps?

Thanks in advance
Old 4th August 2020, 16:55   #1229
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Hey all, hoping to seek answers to a few questions bugging me about the Seltos

1. How bad is the ride quality of the Seltos over bad roads? I had test drove the Seltos last month over some undulating roads and highways and found the ride to be quite good. Couldn't find any bad roads during the course of that test drive, so I have no idea about it.

2. How good is the all LED lights and fogs? Saw a couple of Youtube videos showcasing this and found the throw to be pretty good. But wouldn't LEDs be bad for driving at night, through fog and rain? Can any of the owners confirm?

3. Given that the Creta, which is basically the same car, comes with panoramic sunroof and paddle shifters, isn't there a strong chance that Kia will offer these too in the next update/facelift?

4. How useful is the 360 degree camera and lane watch systems in real life scenarios? I ask this because it feels a bit counter intuitive to look at the MID and then the mirrors in case of lane change maneuvers. 360 camera is obviously useful, but is there a speed limit over which it isn't functional?

5. Regarding the UVO apps, how big is the delay in pressing the command button and it being executed? Do we have a dedicated thread or post detailing out the working of UVO apps?

Thanks in advance
1. The suspension is a little taut as compared to the creta but that also means it is sportier and there is lesser body roll, especially at a fast speed. The suspension gets more pliant once the car has done 3 to 4K kms. Overall, it’s great if you are driving in a city with not many potholes

2. The lights are good but like other white lights, it is not the best when it rains / in fog. Please note that I used the word “best”. It’s good enough

3. No idea

4. It is extremely useful and one of the top features when I compare it to my other car - Octavia L&K. Once you get used to it, looking at the mirrors and then MID just before changing lanes or turning; you will wonder how you ever lived without them. And the lane change and DVRM work at all speeds. Only the front camera works only when the speed is < 20 kmph

5. If you mean remote starting or unlocking from the phone, it depends on the network of your phone and your car (parked in basement etc. ) but usually takes around 10 to 15 seconds to execute. At least for me. Though I don’t end up using it often.
ADB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 22:48   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting point here, I would suggest to add this rodent bite option in Tata AIG if possible, I had rodents issue from day 1 in my TUV. Recently they attacked my wiring and it had to be towed to service center for repair. They said new wiring set costs 70k+labor and it does not cover under warranty. Thankfully they were able to fix it without replacement. I was charged 6k for repairs. If you do not have rodent issue, then you can skip it.
I have had some experience with rats with my Brio and don't mind the add-on. And I have seen some huge rats in the parking of my current apartment. I think I could be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello Narain,

I too was quoted 62k for my GTX+ D-AT, when i was buying in March this year. I was told 1001 advantages of buying insurance from them or there will be hassles in case of claims. I stood my ground & told them to match my quote or let me take insurance on my own. Or else, I walk out and take my business elsewhere.

I took quote from my friend who was into insurance industry & gave me the exact same benefits offered by Kia for 51k. The same was matched by Kia.

I suggest you do the same. Be polite,yet firm. When they sense they're losing a potential business, they'll agree.

P.S Which version are you buying?! 40k is a very good deal if its for a GTX+ D-AT!!

Happy Hunting,
Powertrain
~42K is for GTX+ P-MT. I plan to talk to them to see if I can get an add-on or two for the same amount. All three dealers I am talking to are offering the 42K plan now by the way.
msnarain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed