Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 07:18   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivaji View Post
Reinhard, the number of Seltos SOLD in Dec was only 4000 odd while in the month of Nov it was more than 7000.
Now we know why: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/india-spe...from=home-auto

"The Seltos is now exported to 40 countries from India and the company has already dispatched 6341 units in December 2019 to the overseas market."
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 08:51   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Now we know why: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/india-spe...from=home-auto

"The Seltos is now exported to 40 countries from India and the company has already dispatched 6341 units in December 2019 to the overseas market."
So they are earning interest on our booking money and using that to produce cars for export keeping the Indian customers waiting. Because they know consumer law is weak here. Shame KIA.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:08   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
So they are earning interest on our booking money and using that to produce cars for export keeping the Indian customers waiting.
What I feel is, the countries that receives the exports from India would takes weeks to receive the goods since these cars are transported via ships. So if Kia delays their export giving priority to India, the customers (in let's say Europe) would have an unreasonable waiting period compared to the waiting period we have in India.
carenthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:28   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reinhard, the number of Seltos SOLD in Dec was only 4000 odd while in the month of Nov it was more than 7000.
If you Google search you will find the one for Nov 2019
Let me clarify what I meant. What is the data source used by these youtube videos? There are hundreds of folks making such videos now a days. The only reliable data source is the SIAM numbers released every month. Those numbers are dispatch output from car maker factory. Not retail sales numbers from dealership to customers. So if SIAM says 4000, that means only 4000 were made for India market. That would obviously mean lower final retail also. Not that they made more cars but sold less by keeping inventory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
So they are earning interest on our booking money and using that to produce cars for export keeping the Indian customers waiting. Because they know consumer law is weak here. Shame KIA.
No I don't think it would be that silly. When business starts, the local market & export targets are pre-defined. They have to meet the export commitments even if the India demand goes way beyond their anticipation causing a backlog. Also - the export markets get different spec, design (and some quality also!) than the India spec. So its far more complex than simply using Indian buyers' money to build export cars.
Reinhard is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:39   #215
BHPian

Dear All,

I spoke to my SA a while ago and confirmed with him that the car that is being offered to me is 2020 manufactured, not 2019. I explained my concern in seeking this clarification. He understood and assured me it is 2020 plate and not 2019. I asked him to send me the VIN Number which I am attaching herewith.

The 10th character is an L which stands for 2020 (I think). BHPians who are more knowledgeable may kindly confirm that this is correct. Also, what do each character of the VIN Number indicate? Thanks for your help.

I also downloaded a pdf file on VIN from the Team BHP website but KIA Motor cars are not listed there. That pdf file is also attached herewith.

Regards

Vidyadhar
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-seltos-vin-number.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf VIN.pdf (2.90 MB, 5614 views)
Shivaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 16:03   #216
BANNED

Quote:
He understood and assured me it is 2020 plate and not 2019. I asked him to send me the VIN Number which I am attaching herewith.
VIN: MZBET811VLN064715
Model Year : 2020
Engine : 1.4 KAPPA
Engine No.: G4LDKD191929
Transmission: 7 DCT
Production Date: 28-12-2019
Colour: A6R (Intense Red)

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th January 2020 at 16:05.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 16:27   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thank you a4anurag for the prompt response. So the Production Date is 28 Dec 2019. Not 2020 manufactured!!

I have sent a message to my SA highlighting this anomaly. He said he is checking and will let me know.

How did you decode the VIN number? Do you have a program that does this? Much appreciate if you can put me on to this. I would like to see how it works.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated,

Vidyadhar
Old 8th January 2020, 17:10   #218
BANNED

Quote:
How did you decode the VIN number? Do you have a program that does this? Much appreciate if you can put me on to this. I would like to see how it works.
Check this LINK.

Create a login with an ID & password and feed the given VIN.
Old 8th January 2020, 17:13   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

a4anurag very kindly decoded the VIN number for me. I am in the process of arguing this out with the SA who insists that the car is a 2020 model, the RC Book also says it is a 2020 model. I pointed out to him that even though the RC Book says it is a 2020 model the VIN number when decoded says the Production Date is 28-12-2019. Note, 2019 not 2020. The discussion with him is still on going.

Can someone tell me HOW to decode the VIN number. Is there a document or program that we use to decode? I will have to use this to bolster my side of the argument with the dealer.

Please help. Thanks.

Vidyadhar

Quote:
Check this LINK.

Create a login with an ID & password and feed the given VIN.
Thank you, a4anurag, that worked. I created a new login ID and password and got the VIN number decoded.

My SA maintains that the car is a 2020 model even though the year of production is shown to be 2019.

I put across my concern as follows:

"OK, I understand the RC Book says 2020 model. But when the VIN number is decoded the Production Date is shown as 28-12-2019. Please note 2019 not 2020. That is what a prospective buyer will say. He will say the car was Produced in 2019. Then what do I do?"

My SA says:

"In India everyone looking RC book only sir, not mentioned the manufacturing dates"

My question to knowledgeable BHPians is this. Car Production Date is shown as 29-12-2019 when the VIN number is decoded but the RC Book says the car is a 2020 model. Is this OK? Will I have a problem in some future year when I want to sell the car?

Much appreciate your response. I was not able to make the payment today due to Bank Strike in India. I may have to make the payment tomorrow. But before I do that, I would like to clarify this lacuna.

Vidyadhar

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th January 2020 at 18:19. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Old 8th January 2020, 17:53   #220
BANNED

Quote:
"In India everyone looking RC book only sir, not mentioned the manufacturing dates"

My question to knowledgeable BHPians is this. Car Production Date is shown as 29-12-2019 when the VIN number is decoded but the RC Book says the car is a 2020 model. Is this OK? Will I have a problem in some future year when I want to sell the car?
RC book will have "Month and Year of manufacture" which will be 12/2019 in your case. The other one will be "Date of Registration" which shall be mentioned as 2020.

During the sale in future, everyone will look for Date of manufacturing so it shall still be regarded as a 2019 model.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th January 2020 at 17:57.
Old 8th January 2020, 18:15   #221
BHPian

Quote:
RC book will have "Month and Year of manufacture" which will be 12/2019 in your case. The other one will be "Date of Registration" which shall be mentioned as 2020.

During the sale in future, everyone will look for Date of manufacturing so it shall still be regarded as a 2019 model.
a4anurag, thank you for your clarification. Also thank you for patiently helping me out.

I spoke to the SA just now and told him the gist of what you have said above.

He says, in the RC Book, Year of Manufacture is going to be shown as Jan 2020 and Date of Registration will be the date when the vehicle is registered.

I wanted to speak to the manager and get this clarified but he was in a meeting. I plan to speak to the manager tomorrow morning to get this sorted out. The SA who I have been dealing with is fluent in Tamil but poor in English. In my case, I am poor in Tamil but fluent in English. Bit of a communication gap there.

Thanks again,

Vidyadhar
Old 8th January 2020, 18:20   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He says, in the RC Book, Year of Manufacture is going to be shown as Jan 2020 and Date of Registration will be the date when the vehicle is registered.

I wanted to speak to the manager and get this clarified but he was in a meeting. I plan to speak to the manager tomorrow morning to get this sorted out. The SA who I have been dealing with is fluent in Tamil but poor in English. In my case, I am poor in Tamil but fluent in English. Bit of a communication gap there.
Keep it simple. If the RC once printed says year of manufacture = 2019, there is absolutely nothing you can do. So trusting the SA is a gamble.

If you are not comfortable owning a car made in December 2019, simply tell the SA that you will cancel the booking unless you get a different piece. (Again - if the year of manufacture matters that much to you). If I were in your place, I'd accept the car with 2019 year since its still not "old" by mechanical age as such, which is fine by me.
Old 8th January 2020, 18:21   #223
BHPian

Quote:
I have just today been informed by my dealer, Kun Car Enterprises, Perungudi, Chennai that I have been allotted the car that I had applied for on 11 Oct 2019: the Seltos GTX Plus 1.4 7 DCT Petrol, Intense Red. Since I am still in Australia I am authorising my nephew to collect the car on my behalf

I am being charged the revised 2020 price of 21,13,604 which is the Chennai price.
Hello Vidya, good day!

The pricing is not '2020 pricing' per se, it is just the revised pricing, Kia could have introduced this pricing in 2019 Dec 31 itself it if they so desired it.

I understand your pain, but the VIN will be a 2019 model if that is allocated to you. That being said, given that it is currently selling like hot cakes (my car was manufactured 2 weeks prior to taking delivery), chances are your delivery will be in Feb and it will be a Jan manufactured vehicle.

When you are buying it, do note that the dealers will try and sell the 5 year unlimited warranty, if you won't be driving it a lot, go for the 5 year 100,000 km warranty, it will save you money.

Also Kun (am also a Kun Kia customer) will make a lot of noise about insurance but always fold, so do it outside or get them to match your online rate.

Best of luck and happy motoring.
Old 8th January 2020, 18:27   #224
BHPian

Quote:

I wanted to speak to the manager and get this clarified but he was in a meeting.

Vidyadhar
I would say ask them to give this in writing and see if they do that before you pay the full amount. I am not able to comprehend how the date of manufacture is going to be shifted by one year.

For example, if this was done in Delhi where diesel cars are registered for 10 years then someone could essentially get one extra year just by waiting till December and magically get a Jan manufactured car.
Old 8th January 2020, 18:38   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Highlighted part in BOLD made me

Don't believe all this as manufacturing month and year will be changed to Jan 2020 etc.

Quote:
I wanted to speak to the manager and get this clarified but he was in a meeting. I plan to speak to the manager tomorrow morning to get this sorted out
Please don't believe in all this clarifications over the phone. Ask the SA/Manager to give it in writing and then see them change ways in what they just spoke.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks