Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 10:32   #316
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

While in principle the idea is sound (as no highway in India has a higher posted speed limit), in reality I found it really annoying and I am wondering if there is any data or science behind it, or it is something some random babu in the transport ministry felt it would be a good idea.
This is implemented in all news cars. It is very annoying. What is stupid is that we can do a constant of 120, the continuous beep should have started at 125 or 123. But i think there is a standard or regulation for this chime and probably all OEMs are implementing it that way.

When car decelerates and reaches 100kph or so there is a single chime as well.
groom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 10:38   #317
Senior - BHPian

How to decode VIN for Seltos? Any reference table for it?
Old 21st January 2020, 11:17   #318
BHPian

My very first post in Team-BHP. I have been an admirer of this group for more than a decade and now finally took the plunge to join and happy to hang around with like-minded petrol heads.

I own a KIA Seltos GTX MT, Color: White with Black Dual Tone. Got it delivered through Naara Motors, JP Nagar during Novermber 2019 and presently covered 2600 kms. Initially booked the car in Sep’19 with JSP Autocore, Hosur road but it was an unpleasant experience and finally had to cancel the booking and then went ahead with Naara Motors.

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_4639.jpg

Accessories: Door Edge guard, Bumper protectors, Boot mat, Trash can and Kia Toy bear for my daughter ��. I did not opt for any silver chrome garnish which KIA sells as I have a feeling that the car is already having a slight overdose of chrome and hence did not want to add further bling.

Overall Delivery experience: Good. Delivered as promised with the necessary accessories and it was a pleasant experience.

Overall Service experience: Good, the service centre of Naara Motors in JP Nagar is a good one with a bit of greenery around. Well equipped with good seating arrangement for customers.

Overall experience with the Car: Thanks to the wonderful review by the Team-BHP team, so I am not going to go much into the details, but overall it is a very pleasant experience and I feel content and happy that I made a right choice.

Negatives:
No car is perfect and would definitely have one or the other niggles, but still after paying 19L OTR in Bangalore, I still do have certain qualms, and some are primarily due to my OCD and might not matter to others, but still let me jot out the issues I faced.

Map Lamp: The map lamp switch in the door mode was not working, I noticed this in the first week of taking the delivery of the car, there was some loose contact in the door mode and had to get it replace. The service team was pretty good in addressing the issue but it took couple of weeks to get the part ordered and I got it fixed it in my first service. I remember that the SA saying that while the part was replaced there were folks from KIA who was present, because they wanted to check the authenticity of the issue and also evaluate the quality concerns. Good that KIA is looking into these minor things.

Windows: While cleaning the windows, I have noticed that when you try to remove smudges and you put a bit of pressure on the glass vertically, the glass just moves along and this is on all 4 windows, no issues as such but yes I have not seen this in the other cars I used. I also recently noticed that the driver window makes a scratching noise while operating, did not notice any scratch marks on the glass though.

Rattling: The bandaid fix for the parcel tray was done during first service and this reduced the parcel tray noise but there is a rattle from the rear two-step rear recliner seats. As suggested by the SA, if you are driving alone it is advised to keep the rear seats in reclined positions and this would cut the rattling. Since my wife doesn’t like the reclined seating, I did not try this yet, but yes there is noticeable rattling in the cabin if you are driving alone, but yes over the time you get used to it.

Ride quality: Ride quality is very stiff, I noticed that you inflate the tyre to example 33 PSI (not cold) in the pump, but the TPM shows only 28-29, strange! and the TPMS alert keeps blinking. As suggested by fellow BHPians I need to inflate the tyre to 35+ and then reduce it. But trust me, the ride is 29-30 PSI is pretty comfortable, but I understand it is not advised as the PSI is much lower than company recommended.

UVO: it keeps disconnecting and connecting back to Apple car play during the rides, even after the latest UVO update.

Rear vent AC hot air blowing: Now the major issue, the Rear vent AC blowing hot air at certain temperatures. I live in Bangalore and in December we had a fair weather and hence did not notice this issue. I noticed this issue first when I went for a long drive to Cochin and my wife was complaining that it was very hot in the car. Since I was driving I was not facing issue and the front side of the car was cool. Then when I checked the rear AC vent it was blowing out hot air, yes literally hot air. The temperature set in the car was around 23 Degrees if my memory serves me right. So I went into the ICE unit and changed the rear blower setup from Auto to manual, increased the fan speed and it became a bit bearable, I did not pay much attention to it and continued my drive.

While I was in Bangalore in my way back from office (I have a long drive to office and back, 52 Kms up and down), I noticed that the car is a bit hot, as the day itself was a bit hot. I kept my hand in the rear AC and noticed that it is blowing hot air and the temperature in the car was 24 Degrees, I use my hand in the front vent it is cool air. I immediately connected to UVO from the car, but they say they cant help but call service. I called the service head in Naara, and he says that is a known issue. As per him the AC unit is above the silencer and it heats up so we would need the temperature to always set below 20 degrees. Yes, and I keep the temperature to 19 to 20 the rear unit starts blowing cool air, but then the front part of the car gets chilled up. I prefer keeping the AC around 23-24 degrees in Bangalore. Could fellow BHPians advise on this whether you guys are also facing similar issue. Or is it advised to write to KIA, as service centre has already given a thumbs down to this issue.

Thanks all for keeping this thread active. Drive safe.

Last edited by ThatCarGuy : 21st January 2020 at 11:45.
ThatCarGuy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 11:24   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Check this LINK.

Create a login with an ID & password and feed the given VIN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So i decoded my VIN through the link shared by Anurag (Thanks a lot) earlier in this thread. It is manufactured on 16th January, 2020. So a 2020 model it is for sure!

My SA called me on 18th Jan that the car has been allotted and it is now in transit. Does all this happen so quickly?
Old 21st January 2020, 11:28   #320
SS4
BHPian

Quote:
Please refer my earlier post. Quoting the same:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4 View Post
Official statement from KIA where the 10th digit in VIN will be 'L' for cars manufactured in 2020. I hope this clears few of the queries raised in previous posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-4f0c341eaa7947f985ab1d93848142c3.jpeg  

SS4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 12:45   #321
BANNED

Quote:
So I decoded my VIN through the link shared by Anurag (Thanks a lot) earlier in this thread. It is manufactured on 16th January 2020. So a 2020 model it is for sure!
Congratulations. Wishing you lots of happy (s)miles with it.

Quote:
My SA called me on 18th Jan that the car has been allotted and it is now in transit. Does all this happen so quickly?
Yes. Once manufactured, it stays maybe a day or two in the plant and then the cars are shipped to their respective allotted dealers. Due to high demand, dispatch in-charges must be going crazy at the plant.

My Creta was manufactured on the 15th of October and I got the delivery on the 18th evening at 3 pm. Car was unloaded from the truck at 8 am that came from Chennai which is where the Hyundai plant is located.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 13:22   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCarGuy View Post
I own a KIA Seltos GTX MT, Color: White with Black Dual Tone. Got it delivered through Naara Motors, JP Nagar during Novermber 2019 and presently covered 2600 kms. Initially booked the car in Sep’19 with JSP Autocore, Hosur road but it was an unpleasant experience and finally had to cancel the booking and then went ahead with Naara Motors.
Congratulations for your new ride. Wish you many happy miles with it.
Quote:
Negatives:

Rear vent AC hot air blowing: Now the major issue, the Rear vent AC blowing hot air at certain temperatures. [-SNIP-] I called the service head in Naara, and he says that is a known issue. As per him the AC unit is above the silencer and it heats up so we would need the temperature to always set below 20 degrees. Yes, and I keep the temperature to 19 to 20 the rear unit starts blowing cool air, but then the front part of the car gets chilled up. I prefer keeping the AC around 23-24 degrees in Bangalore. Could fellow BHPians advise on this whether you guys are also facing similar issue.
I have faced this known issue and understood that the service centers can't fix it from their end. I have made peace with it as we are 1-2 people in the car at most times. However, when the rear seats are in use, I decrease the temp setting and move the vents away from the front occupants. That way, the overall cabin temperature is cool but not uncomfortable. I know it's just a workaround but I can't think of anything else for now.

Quote:
Or is it advised to write to KIA, as service centre has already given a thumbs down to this issue.
Please do write to KIA. Also let us know if a fix is found for it.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 14:52   #323
BHPian

Quote:
. I called the service head in Naara, and he says that is a known issue. As per him the AC unit is above the silencer and it heats up so we would need the temperature to always set below 20 degrees. Yes, and I keep the temperature to 19 to 20 the rear unit starts blowing cool air, but then the front part of the car gets chilled up.

Thanks all for keeping this thread active. Drive safe.
Known issue and not being rectified? Have you got this on record/writing or something? What a silly issue. Definitely needs to be pursued. Just because Seltos is a hit model doesn't mean owners are supposed to live with such issues. This after lakhs of kms of testing.
psbali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 17:06   #324
BHPian

Quote:

Rear vent AC hot air blowing: Now the major issue, the Rear vent AC blowing hot air at certain temperatures.

As per him the AC unit is above the silencer and it heats up so we would need the temperature to always set below 20 degrees. Yes, and I keep the temperature to 19 to 20 the rear unit starts blowing cool air, but then the front part of the car gets chilled up. I prefer keeping the AC around 23-24 degrees in Bangalore. Could fellow BHPians advise on this whether you guys are also facing similar issue. Or is it advised to write to KIA, as service centre has already given a thumbs down to this issue.

Firstly Congratulations for your ride. I am sure you will fall in love more and more with this machine.

I too face the issue of hot air from the rear AC vents. Have not yet contacted the Dealership. Will show them the issue during my first service in few weeks. I have to keep the temperature at 19 and fan speed to 4 for the rear ac to work the way it should.

There is also something wrong with my bonnet. Have to really hit it hard down for it to lock properly. Its very painful to shut it this way. This thing came to my notice on the day of delivery but had no choice. Haven't opened the bonnet since then, not even to clean. Hope the dealership rectifies this issue too.
Old 21st January 2020, 17:33   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpaaz View Post

There is also something wrong with my bonnet. Have to really hit it hard down for it to lock properly. Its very painful to shut it this way. This thing came to my notice on the day of delivery but had no choice. Haven't opened the bonnet since then, not even to clean. Hope the dealership rectifies this issue too.
I think the recommendation is that while closing the bonnet just keep the lid approx 10 cm above the closing position and allow it to fall freely with gravity and it will get locked correctly and since Seltos bonnet is much heavier than many cars I am sure if it doesn’t work this way definitely there is a lock issue. Are you using this method?
Old 21st January 2020, 17:51   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnv View Post
I think the recommendation is that while closing the bonnet just keep the lid approx 10 cm above the closing position and allow it to fall freely with gravity and it will get locked correctly and since Seltos bonnet is much heavier than many cars I am sure if it doesn’t work this way definitely there is a lock issue. Are you using this method?
This is definitely an issue I have faced as well, especially when the bonnet is opened by security personnel at malls and hotels. They always have to do it 2-3 times in order for it to close properly. I thought it must be the way they are doing it, but looks like other people are facing it too.
Old 21st January 2020, 19:53   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Congratulations for your new ride. Wish you many happy miles with it.

I have faced this known issue and understood that the service centers can't fix it from their end. I have made peace with it as we are 1-2 people in the car at most times. However, when the rear seats are in use, I decrease the temp setting and move the vents away from the front occupants. That way, the overall cabin temperature is cool but not uncomfortable. I know it's just a workaround but I can't think of anything else for now.

Please do write to KIA. Also let us know if a fix is found for it.
Yes I figured this out by trial and error when we went on a long drive. My wife and mom kept complaining about it being hot in the back. The front temp was the 24*and very comfy in the front.

Put my hand on the rear vent and yes it was hot. I then dropped the temp to 20*c and they said it was fine but it started getting cold in the front.

One more thing I have experienced is that when the outside temp is lower than your chosen temp, the aircon doesn't work. So if the outside is 19*c and you have 21*c as your setting, it won't work. This though is a setting on the ICE that can be changed.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 19:56   #328
BHPian

I'm kinda not happy with the Seltos. Having the top of the line model, like paying 20L and having rattles from rear is so annoying. They should recall all the Seltos'. When time for my second service will come, I'm gonna bring up this topic. My 10 year old sx4 has no rattle issue and this new bee out here having such an annoying issue after being tested by Kia in India. Every time I drive on uneven surface it seems as if something is breaking apart from the rear right seat. The first service patch for the parcel tray practically fixed the issue but this reclining seat feature is indeed an issue by itself.

Also the non illuminated door buttons are another annoyance.
Kia internationally lets the user custom choose the dashboard lighting color. We are stuck with red, red is not my favorite color. I know I'm being choosy but it would have barely costed them to give us several colors like the ones in doors.

It's a solidly built car. I hope they look into the rattling issue.
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 23:55   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Its a four number code, the first two indicating the number of the week and last two the year of manufacture. A sample picture from TireBuyer.com shows the code.
Yes, that is the standard format, yet somehow it is not mentioned on my tyres. That section is left blank
I am yet to check the inner walls of the tyre. Trying to figure out how to do it without lifting the car with a jack or removing the tyre completely out of the hub

Anyone out here who has got the manufacturing code mentioned on their Goodyear tyres in the same section or are we all in the same boat ?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2020 at 01:02. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.
Old 22nd January 2020, 00:02   #330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzrulz555 View Post
Trying to figure out how to do it without lifting the car with a jack or removing the tyre completely out of the hub
Why not check the spare wheel in the boot?!

I know the spare is of a different size altogether than the four mounted but should give a rough idea.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks