Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2020, 14:52   #571
BHPian

Re: My experience with 1.5L HTX IVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth2510 View Post
Congratulations for your IVT Seltos ! Hope you are enjoying the drives.

On paper it looks bit underpowered for a car of this size.

Can u please share throw some light on the following points

3. Does it navigate basement slopes confidently?
Thanks.
Thanks !
I was also a bit skeptical seeing the power figures on paper but took 2 test drives and was satisfied.

3. Basement slopes are cakewalk.

I have answered other questions in the post above. Rest of the questions can be answered as time & situations come. For now I ‘ve posted my current experience.
Will post soon.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 16:25   #572

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedForNeed View Post
Got Seltos delivered on Dec 2nd.
Thanks a lot for that very elaborate explanation! Would appreciate if you can add on the following points:

1. Does the IVT feel underpowered while overtaking on highway ( with full load - 4/5 people and luggage). Someone told me that they don't feel confident to overtake on 2 lane highways with the IVT

2. Does it handle slopes / hills confidently when fully loaded?

I am looking for an automatic for city drives mixed with occasional outstation / hill station visits ( once a month). Need to make my mind of whether I go for a Diesel manual or the IVT.

The DCT being a dry clutch doesn't come across as a reliable choice.

Thanks.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st March 2020 at 17:19. Reason: For easy readability (especially for members accessing via smartphones) please do not quote the entire post. Thank you!
Old 1st March 2020, 16:47   #573
BHPian

I just returned to Chennai from Sydney to see my new GTX Plus DCT which had been accepted on my behalf by my brother on 30 Jan 2020. My first impression of the car was: WOW!!!

No one else had driven the car in my absence, it was still in pristine new condition having clocked less than 100 KMs.

I took it for a short 30 KMs drive this morning. I found the vehicle to be outstanding in all respects. This is my 10th new car in a row. My first new car was in 1973, followed periodically with other new cars in India, Singapore and Australia.

Overall it was a pleasure to drive. It ticked all the boxes.

I will be posting a New Car Review in due course after driving the vehicle for a few thousand KMs.

One quick question: Where in Chennai can one fill up with BS6 petrol?
Shivaji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 23:22   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivaji View Post
One quick question: Where in Chennai can one fill up with BS6 petrol?
I too have been asking around and it looks like even the Company owned Company outlets are still only pushing bs4 fuel.

Apr 1 on it will be Universal though so just maybe one full tank and you will get to bs6

Welcome aboard the Seltos family

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2020 at 15:28. Reason: Quoting the whole post may cause inconvenience to our members/readers, especially when accessing from mobile devices. Thanks!
Old 2nd March 2020, 04:21   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
I too have been asking around and it looks like even the Company owned Company outlets are still only pushing bs4 fuel.

Apr 1 on it will be Universal though so just maybe one full tank and you will get to bs6

Welcome aboard the Seltos family
Thank you, Stribog, for your prompt response.

I also checked with the KIA dealer who sold my car. He said BS6 petrol is not being sold in Chennai. We will have to wait for 1st April.

I understand there are some outlets in Delhi that dispense BS6 petrol. How come this is only available in Delhi and not Chennai?

One quick question: Do we need to use premium petrol or just ordinary petrol? Yesterday I filled up petrol for the first time. I had gone to an Indian Oil petrol pump and asked for premium petrol but this was not available. So I filled up ordinary petrol. Is this OK.

In Australia we have a choice of different types. 92 octane is the lowest. Then we have 95 and 98 octane. I was using 98 octane on my Toyota Tarago.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd March 2020 at 09:05. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:54   #576
BHPian

Quote:
One quick question: Do we need to use premium petrol or just ordinary petrol? Yesterday I filled up petrol for the first time. I had gone to an Indian Oil petrol pump and asked for premium petrol but this was not available. So I filled up ordinary petrol. Is this OK.

In Australia we have a choice of different types. 92 octane is the lowest. Then we have 95 and 98 octane. I was using 98 octane on my Toyota Tarago.
Quite frankly the difference seems to be incremental. Borderline placebo effect even, but the cost if not a factor, Shell V Power is a good option.
Stribog is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:29   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Below are the fuel options with RON ratings in India :

All standard fuel - 91 RON (Post BS4) - Available everywhere.

Standard fuel (91 RON) with additives - Available in most cities:
V Power by Shell.
XtraPremium by Indian Oil Corporation.
Speed by Bharat Petroleum.
Power by Hindustan Petroleum.

High octane fuel - Available only in metropolitan cities:
Speed 93 by Bharat Petroleum : 93 RON.
Speed 97 by Bharat Petroleum : 97 RON.
Power 99 by Hindustan Petroleum : 99 RON.

Last edited by carenthusiast : 2nd March 2020 at 10:31.
carenthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:33   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Might be useful for Seltos owners with base variants. Amazed to see how quickly they bring out HU's for cars these days. Haven't seen the full video so can't comment more.

For Seltos owners, there are many videos from him. New alloys/tires, damping, paint protection etc.

Source - YouTube.
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:15   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, Stribog, for your prompt response.

I also checked with the KIA dealer who sold my car. He said BS6 petrol is not being sold in Chennai. We will have to wait for 1st April.

I understand there are some outlets in Delhi that dispense BS6 petrol. How come this is only available in Delhi and not Chennai?

You can try Shell outlets. They have premium unleaded fuel but even their regular unleaded fuel is more expensive than the IOCL, HPCL & BPCL outlets. These outlets also have speed, power & xtrapremium petrol but not all outlets have them i guess
akrish01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:15   #580
BHPian

@BHPians from Delhi with GT line Petrol Seltos, Have you filled in BS6 petrol in your Seltos and any difference in performance/mileage noticed ?
Old 2nd March 2020, 18:07   #581
BHPian

Kia Posts highest ever sales in Feb 2020. Yet another feat by Kia.

Kia's success is going to be a case study for many OEM's in India.

Source: RushLane
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-kiafeb2020.png  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd March 2020 at 18:31. Reason: typo corrected
bronco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 18:52   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth2510 View Post
Thanks a lot for that very elaborate explanation! Would appreciate if you can add on the following points:

1. Does the IVT feel underpowered while overtaking on highway ( with full load - 4/5 people and luggage). Someone told me that they don't feel confident to overtake on 2 lane highways with the IVT

2. Does it handle slopes / hills confidently when fully loaded?

I am looking for an automatic for city drives mixed with occasional outstation / hill station visits ( once a month). Need to make my mind of whether I go for a Diesel manual or the IVT.

The DCT being a dry clutch doesn't come across as a reliable choice.

Thanks.
It has a very linear acceleration. There are 2 types of overtaking people do,

1. Go very close to the vehicle in front, apply brakes or down shift and then cut out to overtake, when the road is clear. This i call a spirited or possibly a sporty overtake manoeuvre. Sometimes behind a slow moving vehicle you might slow down so much that you have to down shift to 2nd gear.

2. From a distance judge the speed in which you can overtake a vehicle, indicate your desire to overtake and with a steady acceleration, with the hand on the lever to down shift if necessary. Usually people make it in 4th or at the worst, 3rd gear. I seldom used 3rd in my Ertiga Diesel during overtaking.

Seltos IVT is good for option 2. You cannot down shift, but you can shift the lever to manual mode where it actually down shifts by a gear immediately. This gives you that additional torque to overtake. Not much, but adequate.

Even the turbo has to hit that 1500 rpm mark to engage and give that instant torque. If you have slowed down to a 10 or 15 behind a truck, turbo also takes time to engage.

This is my personal experience having owned small diesel turbo and petrol IVT.

Hills: I went to Sringeri and did not find any issues. I guess you need to take your feet off the accelerator pedal and reengage so that IVT decreases the ratio (There is no shifting in IVT )

Hope it helps!!!
SpeedForNeed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 19:24   #583
BHPian

As for BS6 fuel , BPCL announced that 1st March onwards it would be available at most pumps across country. 15000+
Indian Oil also said that all there tankers and supply chain is now ready with BS6 fuel. They also said its already available at 15000+ pumps out of 27000.
Old 2nd March 2020, 21:05   #584

Quote:
It has a very linear acceleration. There are 2 types of overtaking people do,
Thanks, that's very insightful.

This being a petrol it would need to be at a high RPM to deliver adequate torque. I believe at-least ~2,500 odd RPM for decent power?!

Though based on feedback I gather that Seltos IVT performs lot better than the "on paper" rated max torque output of 144 NM. Believe they have tuned IVT well so that it remains in the higher RPM range = relatively higher power mode at all speeds inspite of the lower torque.

Do you switch to the manual mode often? Or the IVT does the task just all right on the highways.

Thanks.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2020 at 15:27. Reason: Quoting the whole post may cause inconvenience to our members/readers, especially when accessing from mobile devices. Thanks!
Old 2nd March 2020, 21:41   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Seltos IVT is good for option 2. You cannot down shift, but you can shift the lever to manual mode where it actually down shifts by a gear immediately. This gives you that additional torque to overtake. Not much, but adequate.

Even the turbo has to hit that 1500 rpm mark to engage and give that instant torque. If you have slowed down to a 10 or 15 behind a truck, turbo also takes time to engage.

Seltos IVT 1.5 L is an N.A. engine. No turbo. DCT has 1.4 turbo. DCT's better acceleration is due, in large part, to the turbo engine with higher BHP/torque than 1.5 NA engine. The only way to find out which transmission is better is to fit both ATs to same engine and test.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks