Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 09:05   #631
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Autocar review of Seltos IVT is out & has 0 - 100 figures

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-416310

Also the new Hyundai creta seems to have paddle shifters & also an IVT variant with Bose speakers, a couple of tricks that Kia missed

Last edited by akrish01 : 11th March 2020 at 09:13. Reason: Added more info
Old 11th March 2020, 09:10   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth2510 View Post
Apologies, the repeated query was unintentional! I missed that I had asked you the same set of questions before.

Unfortunately there are no IVT test drive vehicles available, even in nearby cities from where I reside (Gujarat). I don't quite understand why KIA would not make the IVT HTX available in most places in Gujarat for a TD.

Though to be honest, the modest engine specifications (115 PS; 144 NM) are still kind of bothering me.
Samarth, you are aware that the IVT petrol is the exact same as in the current Creta as well. So why not give that a TD to get the first hand feel of the engine and gearbox in a 90% similar car.

For the feature list you can always look at the diesel variants in HTX or higher.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11th March 2020, 12:41   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I dont think that is true. Apart from basic kit there is nothing that a dealer installs after the car reaches their yard. SELTOS has over 90 percent localisation. Parts disruption would equally affect the new creta as well.

What does he mean to say? That the car is only 90% ready when it reaches them and they finish the car by installiing the 10% parts to make the car drivable at dealership?

If that's what he meant then he is just preparing you for a long wait as HTK and HTK+ models are low on priority for KIA. Riding on the popularity wave their high end models are more in demand. I got my HTK+ after waiting for almost 2.5 months even when I was 1st in line for silver and 2nd in line for white. I saw my car being brought down from the trailer and driven to the yard as it was 100% drivable.
Thanks for this, I was just not sure. I have been suspecting this though.

Interestingly, they actually gave it in writing that they will deliver in 45 days (in the receipt for the 25k advance).
Old 11th March 2020, 13:07   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostheory View Post
Hi - I heard today from the Sales Manager (showroom manager) at Capital KIA, Chennai - that they have stopped sourcing parts for car assembly (post delivery of car from their plant in AP - is this a thing? he said these are parts needed for assembly inside car before delivery to customer)
I am not sure what did he mean to say. May be he just meant that accessories are from China or many parts used while manufacturing in the plant itself are from China and they are changing the source of it. Otherwise , when the car delivers to the dealer it is 100% done as per the respective spec and nothing to be done by the showroom/dealer guys other than fixing the accessories. What the dealer does is only the PDI and washing once the car arrives at the yard/showroom. I am sure most of the BHPians do the PDI at yard itself before even coming to showroom. Even we checked the car at the yard itself where in the cars were straight off the delivery truck from plant, and it was as per respective variant spec with nothing missing
Old 11th March 2020, 21:52   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrish01 View Post

Also the new Hyundai creta seems to have paddle shifters & also an IVT variant with Bose speakers, a couple of tricks that Kia missed
One of the mentions I am particularly surprised about is that the IVT is faster to the 100 mark compared to diesel by almost 1 second! That just feels wrong..
Old 12th March 2020, 14:58   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
One of the mentions I am particularly surprised about is that the IVT is faster to the 100 mark compared to diesel by almost 1 second! That just feels wrong..
May be their test data had an error but highly unlikely.

More likely, since the gear ratios in the CVT stay at the optimum value always for the situation at hand (outright acceleration in this case) so it gave better numbers. Being lighter than the diesel model also helps. In fact, CVTs were tested but ultimately banned from Formula 1 races in 1993. They were several seconds faster than the existing cars! See: https://www.auto123.com/en/news/f1-t...3-video/34642/

So, I am not surprised that IVT left behind the diesel in 0 - 100 mark. And I like this fact cause I drive a Seltos IVT
MasterChief is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 23:46   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
May be their test data had an error but highly unlikely.

More likely, since the gear ratios in the CVT stay at the optimum value always for the situation at hand (outright acceleration in this case) so it gave better numbers. Being lighter than the diesel model also helps. In fact, CVTs were tested but ultimately banned from Formula 1 races in 1993. They were several seconds faster than the existing cars! See: https://www.auto123.com/en/news/f1-t...3-video/34642/

So, I am not surprised that IVT left behind the diesel in 0 - 100 mark. And I like this fact cause I drive a Seltos IVT
Ref text in bold. This is indeed news to me. And, here majority just seem to make fun of CVTs.

CVTs are most under-rated type of AT gearboxes, especially in India. Some folks go gaga over DSGs even when some examples have had jerking, heating and reliability issues. I'm a huge fan of traditional TC followed by CVT. No DSG/AMT for me. CVTs in India got bad name because of tiny gutless engines CVTs are mated to. Baleno, i20, Jazz are powered by tiny 1.2 L engine. How much fun can they be? Seltos DCT comes with 1.4 turbo engine with much higher numbers than 1.5 NA engine. Had Kia mated CVT to 1.4 turbo engine, result wouldn't have been much different from DCT. I just love the smoothness of CVT. Not even torque converter comes close to that.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 08:24   #638
BHPian

I got a seltos HTX last month and am facing a weird issue. My seats are white/ beige leatherette and my clothes are leaving stains (coloured) on the seat surface sides full length towards the door side. On the console side as well but very less. Even on the passenger side its happening but less prominent.

It shouldn’t be a clothing problem, right? I am always in jeans, I have tried wearing new / old/ diff colors but no gain.

I have driven only 350 kms and cleaned the seats twice. They come again. Can it be a leatherette material issue?
The SA ignored stating its normal dust issue but then why only on the corners ?

I have never faced an issue with leather seats in my other cars.
I also have beige leatherette sofa but never seen such stains on them.
No previous experience with light colour leatherette seat covers.

How do I go about it? Help
Thanks

Last edited by k2max6 : 13th March 2020 at 08:43.
Old 13th March 2020, 09:17   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrish01 View Post

I would like to add something here. Autocar mentions “for a relaxed driver” .I’ve driven my IVT P for only 350 kms . Around 100kms highway drive. I now understand its power delivery and its a breeze to drive on the highways. I am never unconfident overtaking trucks . Even changing lanes while overtaking 2 trucks with cars in between where speed has to be altered in very very short intervals. The car doesn’t sweat.Even for spirited drivers its pretty good, IMO.

Even I was sceptical of the power figures in paper but its not underpowered in any way and instills confidence.

I’ll post my detailed review in a day or 2.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 10:06   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I got a seltos HTX last month and am facing a weird issue. My seats are white/ beige leatherette and my clothes are leaving stains (coloured) on the seat surface sides full length....
This is one of the main reasons why I don't want white/beige interiors.
I have seen multiple images of the Kia Seltos with a beige interior (in reviews, articles, etc.) and all of them appear to dirty.
This seems to be like a issue with the material but Leatherette seats in a lighter colour tend to get dirty really quickly especially in Indian weather.

I have a Honda City with beige leather seats, which have also become dirty quite a bit but not in the way you describe in your post.

You could probably think of buying seat covers from outside, I am also attaching pictures of the seat covers offered on the Kia website.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200313095440254_com.android.chrome2.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200313095445015_com.android.chrome2.jpg  

Old 13th March 2020, 10:12   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post
This is one of the main reasons why I don't want white/beige interiors.
I have seen multiple images of the Kia Seltos with a beige interior (in reviews, articles, etc.) and all of them appear to dirty.
This seems to be like a issue with the material but Leatherette seats in a lighter colour tend to get dirty really quickly especially in Indian weather.

I have a Honda City with beige leather seats, which have also become dirty quite a bit but not in the way you describe in your post.

You could probably think of buying seat covers from outside, I am also attaching pictures of the seat covers offered on the Kia website.
Hope this helps.
Thanks. Seat covers would be the last resort. I just want to get confirmation if this a known issue. I can deal with seats getting dirty/dusty and maintain them but the issue here is that the colour is going on the seat edges. And even the seats getting dirty is not expected in less than a month /300 km drive.(keeping in mind that I keep them immaculately)

Also the weather has been fairly good/cold here in the last month here. So sweating and the color passing onto the seats seems far fetched.

Last edited by k2max6 : 13th March 2020 at 10:14.
Old 13th March 2020, 10:35   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Thanks. Seat covers would be the last resort. I just want to get confirmation if this a known issue. I can deal with seats getting dirty/dusty and maintain them but the issue here is that the colour is going on the seat edges. And even the seats getting dirty is not expected in less than a month /300 km drive.(keeping in mind that I keep them immaculately)

Also the weather has been fairly good/cold here in the last month here. So sweating and the color passing onto the seats seems far fetched.
I also observed this issue in HTX test drive car with white/beige leatherette seats at the JSP Kia showrrom. Was wondering whether it is a common problem. Thanks.
Old 13th March 2020, 11:09   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

I dunno if I've been spoilt by the Elantra engine (which is quite a bit lazy itself, according to me) but driving the Seltos DCT of an acquaintance was a complete revelation in the other direction.. possibly the worst dual clutch tuning I've experienced, period.. the build quality isn't anywhere near the levels of Hyundai as also the refinement.

The pedal response is SLOWWWW, the brake response is slow and the gearbox took ages to shift even in tiptronic (usual problem in the Hyundai as well), there seems to be a massive disconnect with the pedal depression and speed and on top of that the car was whining for power at every gear.

For the next car I'll spend less, and buy the most advanced, instinctual and mindblowingly fast gearbox - the manual. I'm done with these quarter wit transmissions, my left hand and leg are begging to go back to work again.

As for the Kia, I'll give the brand itself a miss, and I'm talking as someone who always wanted to experience one. The Seltos is a very average if not below average product in all respects, from chassis, steering, engine, gearbox etc. Automatics in general, can take the L.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 12:05   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Ref text in bold. This is indeed news to me. And, here majority just seem to make fun of CVTs.

CVTs are most under-rated type of AT gearboxes, especially in India. Some folks go gaga over DSGs even when some examples have had jerking, heating and reliability issues. I'm a huge fan of traditional TC followed by CVT. No DSG/AMT for me. CVTs in India got bad name because of tiny gutless engines CVTs are mated to. Baleno, i20, Jazz are powered by tiny 1.2 L engine. How much fun can they be? Seltos DCT comes with 1.4 turbo engine with much higher numbers than 1.5 NA engine. Had Kia mated CVT to 1.4 turbo engine, result wouldn't have been much different from DCT. I just love the smoothness of CVT. Not even torque converter comes close to that.
I am glad that I am able to contribute new information to the forum despite being only a few posts old

Yes, CVTs are quite capable but have accumulated a lot of bad press and ill will over the years. Anyone who wants to criticize CVT will use the term "rubber band" effect.

The modern CVTs are a different beast altogether. Kia sells Seltos abroad paired with a 2 litre NA petrol engine generating 180 Nm (Ref: https://www.kia.com/au/cars/seltos/specification.html). So, Kia CVTs can handle much more torque and could have been easily paired with the turbo engine sold in India.

Well, this (Seltos IVT) is my first CVT car so I was very apprehensive about how it will behave in different conditions especially in overtaking manoeuvres. Also, as we all know, Kia had not made available IVT test cars widely. But I was so spooked by the DCT gearbox issues (after going through many Volkswagen and Skoda threads) along with the news of the fire in Kia turbocharged engines (https://www.cars.com/articles/hyunda...757087766-2-0/) that I bought the IVT model without any test drive! But, I am very happy with it. The pick-up is very smooth when driven sedately (caressing the accelerator) and fuel efficiency is around 12-13 kmpl (with 100% AC in the city). Especially, overtaking has become a breeze...just press the paddle and scoot.

The only thing I don't like is that when the accelerator is pressed hard (e.g., while overtaking), the gearbox behaves as if it shifts down by one or two gears. It gives a jolt similar to what you will feel shifting a manual, say, from fifth to third while overtaking and then it accelerates rapidly. But my point is that since it is a continuously varying transmission so the revs should have risen smoothly. There are no fixed gears to change, only the gear ratio changes and that also continuously. For outright acceleration, we need maximum torque so revs should rise to the optimum point where the max torque is available and should stay there and then speed should increase accordingly. I think this is what people call "rubber band effect" that first the revs rise and the speed increases thereafter unlike other transmissions where the revs as well as the speed increase together. In such cases, the revs never stay at the optimum level and fall down as soon as the gear is shifted to a higher gear so you are always pursuing the optimum point but touch it and start pursuing it again. In contrast, CVT can hold the revs at the optimum point i.e., the so-called rubber-band effect. So, the "rubber band effect" is the beauty of CVT. What I feel is that Kia has knowingly dumbed down the CVT and put jolt effect in it so as to reduce the so-called rubber-band effect to placate the auto-journalists and general public graduating from manual transmissions.
MasterChief is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 14:40   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
I am glad that I am able to contribute new information to the forum despite being only a few posts old

Yes, CVTs are quite capable but have accumulated a lot of bad press and ill will over the years. Anyone who wants to criticize CVT will use the term "rubber band" effect.

The modern CVTs are a different beast altogether. Kia sells Seltos abroad paired with a 2 litre NA petrol engine generating 180 Nm (Ref: https://www.kia.com/au/cars/seltos/specification.html). So, Kia CVTs can handle much more torque and could have been easily paired with the turbo engine sold in India.
Ref text in bold. Wish they had this engine here but that would take the car price up owing to higher tax bracket, thanks to our tax structure. And, congrats on your IVT Seltos. Very wise decision. If I were to buy a Seltos, this is what I would pick, since there is no petrol torque converter.

I also read Autocar IVT review. 2.3 second difference in 0 to 100 dash between IVT and DCT could have been probably narrowed down to half a second, if both cars had same engines.

I don't trust clutch-based automatics like DCT/AMT where the erratic engage/dis-engage of clutch in b-to-b crawl results in clutch slippage, heating and jerking. Since, the clutch function in TC and CVT is handled by liquid torque converter, which acts as an excellent moderator for gradual flow of power from engine to wheels. Also, torque is multiplied by torque converter which results in instantaneous acceleration off the line.

What we call TC here is actually a TA (traditional automatic). CVT also has a torque converter. In TA, there are gears with ratios just as manuals whereas in CVT there is just a rubber or steel belt over metal cones. CVTs in 2-wheeler like Activa don't have a torque converters. Instead, it has a centrifugal clutch.

Basically, we need some kind of clutch to regulate power flow gradually rather than abruptly, which would result in jerk and stall. In DCTs/AMTs there are clutches and in TAs and CVTs, there are liquid torque converters.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks