Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 23:48   #886
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I would've really traded off the sunroof, ventilated seats, power assisted seats, Start Stop feature , the big infotainment screen, Bose system and got an ESC instead. Hope Kia is listening !

ABS and front airbags are now mandatory for all cars. I strongly feel ESC should be made mandatory too."
Greetings to the owner of official mafia car and an amazing farmhouse (I just loved it sir), your post came as a revelation to me, I was planning for a car in the ballpark of Rs 15L for my parents and I was very much keen on GTK 1.4 manual and I was of the opinion that ESC must be a standard feature considering the price. This came as a surprise since I have had first hand experience of the importance of ESC especially on our Indian roads, we own a Rapid DSG and it has saved my life a couple of times (I remember once an oncoming ertiga guy decided to overtake on a 2 lane highway when there was absolutely no space for the move, I had to veer off the road on gravel at speed of 70kmph to avoid a head-on and ESC didn't let Rapid loose its composure. I still get goosebumps by remembering that day). After a few close calls, I just don't feel confident driving non ESC equipped cars at highways. Ughh, I will have to do my homework again to find a car which is fun to drive, should be a petrol, should be a manual and has no cost-cutting in the safety department. Any suggestions?
sachin_cs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 23:57   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
I was planning for a car in the ballpark of Rs 15L for my parents. Any suggestions?
The Creta SX(non turbo) should fit your budget.
Old 19th May 2020, 20:34   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
After a few close calls, I just don't feel confident driving non ESC equipped cars at highways. Ughh, I will have to do my homework again to find a car which is fun to drive, should be a petrol, should be a manual and has no cost-cutting in the safety department. Any suggestions?
Thank You Sachin.

Since ESC is a must for you, you'll have to go way beyond your budget to find that in Seltos. Sadly and surprisingly , it's available only in the top trims.

Considering your preference for fun to drive and a safe car, Ford Eco Sport Petrol ( Titanium + and upwards) would make for a compelling choice. It's a driver's car besides the Ford is loaded to the hilt in the safety department - ABS, EBD, ESC , BA , TCS , Hill Hold, 6 airbags etc. Suggesting you a compact suv and not any premium hatchbacks since you've zeroed in on Seltos.

Other safe and fun to drive cars you could look at are Tata Nexon and XUV 300. The latter has got outdated interiors though. Both have a 5 star rating in GNCAP crash tests.

You can take other bhpians suggestions too before taking the final call.

Cheers,
bibendum.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 19th May 2020 at 20:39.
Old 20th May 2020, 20:13   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The Creta SX(non turbo) should fit your budget.
Thank you Nitesh for the suggestion, yes the creta does suffice our safety requirements but we are not really sure about the design bit, it's way too quirky for our taste plus I've test-driven the 1.5L petrol in Seltos and it's anything but exciting so probably Creta won't be happening in our Garage. We are not specifically looking for a particular body type so we are open to any body-type in that price bracket. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Considering your preference for fun to drive and a safe car, Ford Eco Sport Petrol ( Titanium + and upwards) would make for a compelling choice. It's a driver's car besides the Ford is loaded to the hilt in the safety department - ABS, EBD, ESC , BA , TCS , Hill Hold, 6 airbags etc. Suggesting you a compact suv and not any premium hatchbacks since you've zeroed in on Seltos.

Other safe and fun to drive cars you could look at are Tata Nexon and XUV 300. The latter has got outdated interiors though. Both have a 5 star rating in GNCAP crash tests.
Thank you Bibendum for your suggestion. Ecosport does sound like a promising option in terms of safety, somehow I never considered it as a prospective contender, since the Korean is not in the picture anymore, I will definitely give it a look when the situation permits. And as far as Nexon and XUV are concerned, Tata won't be considered as we already own a Nano and Sumo and their service is either a hit or a miss, nothing wrong with the service quality but it's so crowded that attention to cars is not up to the mark- once my nano came with a big fender dent after service and XUV300 with 7 airbags sounds good, I will surely give it a look as well. Thanks again for the input.
Old 21st May 2020, 11:52   #890
BHPian

Am Parked now for 20 mins and was fiddling with the controls and started to wonder if I can play videos on the HU when the car is parked with handbrake on (strictly)

Is this possible? I tried connecting to Android Auto and ran a Netflix video but only the sound comes through the car speakers.
Old 21st May 2020, 12:17   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Am Parked now for 20 mins and was fiddling with the controls and started to wonder if I can play videos on the HU when the car is parked with handbrake on (strictly)

Is this possible? I tried connecting to Android Auto and ran a Netflix video but only the sound comes through the car speakers.
You can only play a video from the USB pen drive. Plug one into the USB port. Yes the car has to be in stopped state and hand brake pulled up.
Old 21st May 2020, 14:03   #892
Senior - BHPian

Some of the Seltos variants have Start Stop button instead of the conventional key slot. Have you ever wondered what you will do if your key fob stops working after you've locked your car. Key fob can fail due to a dead battery or any malfunction for that matter. A dead key fob means you can't unlock your car with it nor you can start the car. There are ways to still unlock your car and start it too in such scenarios. This can be of help if one is stranded far away with no access to get a replacement battery or to get the spare key. .

To unlock the car

1.You can pull out the mechanical key from the key fob. One has to press the small button and pull it out. Insert the key onto the keyhole on the driver door and turn right to unlock.

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200521133820_whatsapp.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200521133917_gallery.jpg

2.Using uvo (if enabled), one can remotely open the door too.

Starting the car.

Press on the brake pedal and place the key fob on top of the start stop button and press the button with the keyfob itself. The car will start. Brake pedal to be pressed for automatics and clutch pedal for manual transmission. The fob can be very close to the button too. I've tried to start my Seltos today after removing the battery from the key remote and successfully started the car.

I'm sure most bhpians must be aware of this. Sharing this again as many cars are coming equipped with it off late and guess it may still be of help to many.

Sharing a YT video on how it could be done.

One more scenario -Assume the key fob is accidentally dropped in water and it's totally conked up, then you can't get away by starting the car with the above method. So trying to figure out if remote start (only for automatic) is possible via uvo in such scenarios after one gets in the car using mechanical key. I tried but to no avail as I tried it with doors locked from inside and kept the key out of car. Need to do some trial and error and find if there's a way out.

i've checked the Seltos manual for details on starting the car if key fob is dead and couldn't find details on this procedure. The battery is CR2032(the ones in your watch). If you've one handy, you can remove battery from that and put it in the remote too. The battery normally lasts for several years.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 21st May 2020 at 14:07.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 16:00   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnv View Post
Cool! I am also planning to do the remapping for my 1.4TGDI DCT, and Pete's Cochin is an option I am actively considering. Waiting for my second service to get over so the lockdown. It looks like most of the tuners started giving maps for Seltos , hence curious to know if anyone has already done the same. Btw, Pete's facebook page suggests that currently 40% discount offer is going on for remaps!!
In case anybody is planning to do remap at Pete’s , they have extended their 40% discount offer on remapping for 5 more days. Please see their facebook page for details.
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 16:18   #894
BHPian

My Seltos is drowned. There was severe water logging in Kolkata. Electronics like driver ventilated seat was glitching. Water reached to the fuel lid opener in the interior. We managed to get maximum water out with a mug. My sx4 was worse, water entered till the seats and boot. Contacted Kia service. Their road side assistance will again contact tomorrow if they are coming or not. Just worried. You can see the water mark, it reached beyound the door sill. The bose amplifier was submerged in water and is still releasing water. I'm sure this won't be cheap.
Thanks to the Lockdown I couldn't save both of my cars. Sx4 is dead and not responding. I'll update with Kia Service.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-20200521_102049.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-20200521_122738.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-20200521_102015.jpg  

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 21st May 2020 at 16:22.
momsonlydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 16:24   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
My Seltos is drowned. There was severe water logging in Kolkata. Electronics like driver ventilated seat was glitching. Water reached to the fuel lid opener in the interior. We managed to get maximum water out with a mug. My sx4 was worse, water entered till the seats and boot. Contacted Kia service. Their road side assistance will again contact tomorrow if they are coming or not. Just worried. You can see the water mark, it reached beyound the door sill. The bose amplifier was submerged in water and is still releasing water. I'm sure this won't be cheap.
Oh darn, sorry to read this really.

Regarding the amplifier - is there a way to disconnect the wiring for it? Are there modular connectors? Or the wires are directly molded into the amp? If it is removable - please disconnect it and keep it to dry at home. Avoid letting current flow through the circuitry. If you can dry it properly over a few days patiently - it might survive. Ensure that the wiring for it is disconnected before you turn on the ignition next time - if possible.
Old 21st May 2020, 16:27   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oh darn, sorry to read this really.

Regarding the amplifier - is there a way to disconnect the wiring for it? Are there modular connectors? Or the wires are directly molded into the amp? If it is removable - please disconnect it and keep it to dry at home. Avoid letting current flow through the circuitry. If you can dry it properly over a few days patiently - it might survive. Ensure that the wiring for it is disconnected before you turn on the ignition next time - if possible.
I'm not being able to figure out on how to disconnect the amplifier, it is bolted to the floor. Can someone please help me with what other precautions I can take to avoid further damage to the electronics of the car. I right now regret buying a car before this incident. A car with tons of electronics = tons of headache.

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 21st May 2020 at 16:32.
Old 21st May 2020, 17:01   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not being able to figure out on how to disconnect the amplifier, it is bolted to the floor. Can someone please help me with what other precautions I can take to avoid further damage to the electronics of the car. I right now regret buying a car before this incident. A car with tons of electronics = tons of headache.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Until the Kia guys turn up to inspect/pick the car, I suggest please disconnect the battery to reduce chances of damages to electronics. Keep the doors open as much as possible and let it dry.
Old 21st May 2020, 17:29   #898
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not being able to figure out how to disconnect the amplifier, it is bolted to the floor.
As per the image uploaded on the official review ICE section, the amplifier has two connectors i.e. Yellow & Green.

Kia Seltos : Official Review-2019kiaseltos05__01__01.jpg

Have marked them in yellow in the image above.

First and foremost, disconnect the battery and remove it from the vehicle after that wait for a minute or two and then disconnect the amplifier, seat-related function connector etc.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 17:59   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As per the image uploaded on the official review ICE section, the amplifier has two connectors i.e. Yellow & Green.

Attachment 2008672

Have marked them in yellow in the image above.

First and foremost, disconnect the battery and remove it from the vehicle after that wait for a minute or two and then disconnect the amplifier, seat-related function connector etc.
Just had a talk with Kia again. They will be contacting me tomorrow in the morning (very annoyed with their slow response). I wish everything was done today. They also warned me not to do anything to the car and keep it as it is. Maruti has called me numerous times to keep me updated. The issue is the maruti service station I used to go to has been closed down as there was a fire breakout and they are right now in search for a new service station to take my car.
Old 21st May 2020, 20:08   #900
BHPian

Quote:
My Seltos is drowned. There was severe water logging in Kolkata.
Sorry to hear this. Hope you didn't try to start the engine nor try to use any switches, in which case the impact may be minimal in general. Even though the manual doesn't say anything, somewhere in this thread , someone had mentioned that the water wading capacity of Seltos is 400mm. Do you know if the water height was lower than that?

Most Viewed