Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 01:01   #1171
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello 7,
Allow me to add to the confusion.
In my opinion, one should never compromise on safety. So the simplest advise is - Go for GTX+
The increase in price is around 3-3.5L. In emi terms, that's around 5k a month. Now you're a better judge if 5k a month is too high a price to pay for for life!

Will you need it?! No one knows,not even you. Its like health insurance. You pay it, but hope you never ever get to use it.

The other option, think if you need actually need the GC of the Seltos. You'll be surprised to know, you may not need it. In that case, go if for a sedan with all the safety you need.

Regards,
Powertrain
Thanks, PowerTrain.

I'm in such a soup right now. I'm sure this warrants a different thread or I should post in what car section.

So, I just wanted a Diesel Torque Converter automatic car, preferably within 15L OTR that has the latest safety features and the build to last me the next 10 years.

I prefer the Germans and the Japs to the rest of the gang. Just my personal opinion, no offense meant to the owners.
Sounds simple right?

Unfortunately, It's not.

Seltos HTK+ looked a VFM offering but the safety features are really laughable for the price it commands.
The other option is to pay around 3L more to get a Creta SX.
There will be a Vento with a TC box but Petrol. Same with Kicks that has the safety features covered but Petrol and a CVT.
Nexon and XUV300 - AMT for 12L OTR!

That's pretty much it. I am out of options now!
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 08:30   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Will you need it?! No one knows,not even you. Its like health insurance. You pay it, but hope you never ever get to use it.

The other option, think if you need actually need the GC of the Seltos. You'll be surprised to know, you may not need it. In that case, go if for a sedan with all the safety you need.

Regards,
Powertrain
I chose a crossover to a sedan for ease of ingress, egress and the road visibility you get sitting a little higher up in the cabin. GC number for these soft roaders are just a gimmick.Many sedans today can climb speed breakers without scraping the underbelly.

Also go for higher safety spec. Don’t look at it as 5k per month but as a reasonable 20% incremental cost you pay for safety.
Old 17th July 2020, 15:37   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post

That's pretty much it. I am out of options now!

Well, isn't it such a predicament to find that perfect car?
In my case, it was petrol + TC or CVT + safety features + Good GC + space for 5 + few practically helpful features like Auto IRVM, electric ORVM, rear defogger+wiper, android auto etc + dependable ASS with a reasonable budget of around 15-16L.

Ironically, there is absolutely no car in the market which can satisfy these requirements. For those class of people who are bit knowledgeable about cars ( thanks to team-bhp! ) who desire to stretch beyond value-for-money offerings, yet find it difficult to go for the top-end spec. A typical urban middle class predicament! IMHO, there is a big potential customer base which the car manufacturers are ignoring?

It will be interesting to see percentage wise breakdown of sales of Seltos variants..if there is any such data available in the public domain..

Atleast in my area I can see majority of GTX+ DCTs, which makes me wonder whether all these owners have understood pros/cons of DCT technology and made a judicious call or not.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th July 2020 at 12:17. Reason: There are several grammatical errors in your post. Please proofread before submitting.
mankuthimma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 16:35   #1174
Senior - BHPian

In my view, barring ground clearance (and that too isn't a Huge issue), the 5th gen Honda City is really a great allrounder and checks in all the boxes.
Space?-check
Boot space? - 500 litres
Performance ? - Petrol-Manual has excellent peformance, Diesel manual has great driveability and fuel economy.
Convenience of AT?- Petrol-CVT-check , no DCT dilemmas
Safety? - at least 4 airbags in each variant and ESP as standard, plus additional Safety aids
Infotainment? -check
Sunroof?- check (not panoramic, but good enough).
Cost?- surprisingly well priced.
Reliability? - Amongst the best.
Build quality? - nothing that is a deal breaker.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 19:54   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In my view, barring ground clearance (and that too isn't a Huge issue), the 5th gen Honda City is really a great allrounder and checks in all the boxes.
Convenience of AT?- Petrol-CVT-check
Yes, the new Honda City looks good even from the base variant. But the automatic is a CVT, which is a big letdown. I have used the CVT in a 1.8L NA Civic and it's one of the most irritating gearboxes out there. I am sure the rubber band effect I had felt with the bigger engine would be pretty obvious on this one too.

Sometimes I feel I should just get a Freestyle Diesel T+ with all the safety features
Old 17th July 2020, 20:40   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200717203847_youtube.jpg

Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 01:32   #1177

I don't think AWD will come to India. This is only an international market specific model and only few countries again. As not many countries have a liking for mini SUV's.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2020 at 19:18. Reason: Quote not required
Old 18th July 2020, 17:50   #1178
BHPian

The honda city 5th generation definitely ticks all the boxes on the safety front even in the base variant. The Cvt is priced quite reasonably considering the seltos Ivt has an on road price of 16.5 lacs. The seltos will definitely face some competition now with these new launches. We shall be forced to look at the value proposition vs the ground clearance debate quite seriously. Please do help to debate the sedan vs mini suv face off. Looking forward to a constructive discussion .

Last edited by arihant jain : 18th July 2020 at 17:52. Reason: spelling mistake
arihant jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 19:07   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
The honda city 5th generation definitely ticks all the boxes on the safety front even in the base variant. The Cvt is priced quite reasonably considering the seltos Ivt has an on road price of 16.5 lacs. The seltos will definitely face some competition now with these new launches. We shall be forced to look at the value proposition vs the ground clearance debate quite seriously. Please do help to debate the sedan vs mini suv face off. Looking forward to a constructive discussion .
Adding to your point, the verna and even the earlier generation city had all the safety aspects covered in comparison to the seltos at the same or at a lower price point. And as pointed out by others as well on various other threads SUV version of equivalent sedans are priced higher only the GLS is an exception to this rule where the GLS is cheaper than the S-Class and the reasons for that are different. So considering the value proposition is not the correct way to compare the seltos with city or verna IMHO.
sv97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 19:16   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblescott View Post
I am using 3M Interior Cleaner (Foam) which is recommended by Kia Body shop. Procured one through Amazon and used it. Works fine with all type of leathers and plastics. Even they used it on my roof liner fabrics.

Method: Just directly apply it on seats within a distance and let it penetrate for a 1-2 minutes to remove stubborn dirts and wipe it of with a micro fiber cloth. Do not worry about Ventilated seats perforation, foam gets dried out quickly.
I used this today on the fabric seats of my Tucson. I'll go check tomorrow after it dries, to see if it's done the job well. Keeping fingers crossed!
Old 19th July 2020, 07:44   #1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Have any of the Kia Seltos owners faced an issue with the TPMS? I own a Seltos GTX+ D AT from Feb-20 and while the car did ~1000 kms in the 1st month, usage has been negligible since lockdown started. I take the car out once every week for a 15-20 km drive over the weekend. Tire pressure as per the display has always been in the 30-32 range during this period.

Last week when i took the car out, i got the attached TPMS message highlighting that pressure on 2 tyres was low (readings showed 29 and 30 respectively)(See attached image). Not wanting to take a chance, i immediatelly topped up all tires to 33, however that error did not go. I checked with the sales advisor who said that it sometimes may take 15-20 kms, or 30 mins of driving post filling air for this error to go, and if it doesnt, to go to the service station (who may reset the TPMS).

It's over a week now and the error persists (have driven for ~40 kms since i topped up the air, over 2-3 days). The UVO app shows TPMS is working fine (green color against it in the "Vehicle Health Report" section)

While i intend to take the car to the service station to get this checked, curious to see if anyone else has faced something similar and how was this fixed?
I faced this issue about a month back. 3 of the 4 tyres were at 32, the 4th was at 34. And the TPMS showed pressure warning inly for 2 tyres, even though all 3 were at same pressure. Warning went away after all four were kept at 34. Definitely some issue in the TPMS though.
Old 19th July 2020, 10:11   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Doesn't this talk about the confidence of UVO team? They have 'modified' the bugs, means they may not have necessarily removed them.

Jokes apart, It had plenty of bugs. Hope the new version is devoid of those annoying glitches.
Pardon me for quoting my own post. Please consider it as an addendum.

After the last UVO app update couple of weeks ago, I was least hoping that the persistent bugs which were annoyingly there from the start would've ceased to exist. That was not to be. From my own experiences and from other owners, I see that it still persists.

1. Yesterday eve I had started the car and idled it for some time, my guess is these are delayed messages from the server which ideally should've come yesterday during the time the car was being idled. Instead i've received 9 alerts on the same starting from morning 6:18 am today.

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200719100309_whatsapp.jpg

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200719100324_whatsapp.jpg

2. Another bug which was there right from the beginning is when the car is idled for some minutes, it triggers the alert "your car has travelled beyond the valet boundary" when the car has not moved an inch from it's spot. This happens even now.

3. For some owners, under the "my trip" tab on UVO app the total odo reading reflects as the total covered distance for the month even after the app update.

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200719100525_whatsapp.jpg

I really don't know whether Kia is aware about these issues. We were giving the benefit of doubt to them earlier but the patience is fast running out. When they market the telematics capabilities so much, just wonder why there isn't any focussed effort in the upkeep of their systems. It's really frustrating to have a malfunctioning service when one has paid for these to have in the car, not forgetting the subscription is still running free.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 19th July 2020 at 10:13.
Old 19th July 2020, 12:17   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
Please do help to debate the sedan vs mini suv face off. Looking forward to a constructive discussion .
While not going to debate SUV vs. Sedan discussion, just wanted to highlight that Seltos is not an 'Mini SUV'.

Mini SUVs comprises of cars like Mahindra KUV, Nexon, Brezza, Ecosport etc.
Old 19th July 2020, 17:24   #1184
BHPian

How long does the ad blue last in seltos and after how many kilometers it requires DPF regeneration?
Old 19th July 2020, 17:49   #1185
BHPian

Quick update on the planned addition of a Blaupunkt underseat sub. My model is HTX+

I always get my car mods (cosmetic ones) done in Jeewajee Anna Nagar, told him about this plan via WhatsApp and he said because of lockdown he didn't have the kit readily available and he will arrange it for me from his dealer (Blaupunkt xlf8a), I put down an advance of 3k to be fair.

He called me a week later and told me the unit had come so I take it in to the shop to get it fixed. His audio person fiddles with my settings (had mask + gloves on and I insisted on still sanitising his hands and wearing fresh gloves... He is the first person to touch the inside of my car since Mar I guess). He changed the settings and the bass effect got marginally better.

He then conferred with his boss, at the end of this they said that an underseat sub will be a waste of money and that for the approx 12k (including fitting and labour) I will only get approx 15-20% better output.

I agreed with them, my advance was returned on the spot and I went away.

I am both sad and happy, sad as I was hoping for a better thumpy experience (I am a hardcore EDM fan and the bass is definitely lacking) but happy because not once has Jeewajee been anything but 100% honest. This is the third time I think they dissuaded me from spending money, once was a large 40k investment (wanted to put in a touch screen on my Fluidic verna gen 1, they told me that the look will be horrible - this was in 2012) and I better put the money in my bank account).

I have no commercial ties or any relationship with Jeewajee, so this is purely my experience.

Next up is the remap, already spoken with Pete's in Blr, moment lockdown is lifted and driving down to Blr to get this done.

Researching damping and might get that done before that. Also just started reading about painting over Chrome, but as that's a big step going to take it slow.

Anyone has any opinion on the illuminated scuff plates? Thinking of getting those.

Rainx works brilliantly, drove in the heaviest rains Chennai has had since Dec and barely even needed to use my wipers.

Edit - Hey Bibendum, are you g getting any remote lock / unlock errors? Remote unlocking and locking have repeatedly failed the past 15 days and I am now get hesitant on trusting it. This is a new issue though n ver had it before

Last edited by Stribog : 19th July 2020 at 17:52. Reason: Added comment on UVO
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed