Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2021, 17:27   #1876
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subinmanaladil View Post
I tried out both 32 psi and 40 psi(after reading your post) on my Kia Seltos htx diesel with goodyear assuarance oem tyres - terrible tyres for ride quality.

32 psi feels plush without loosing way too much driving dynamics or mileage in city and straight roads usage.

But, 40 psi is the magic number for this car. I tried this after readig your post way back(wasnt a member then, registered only beause this topic needs more attention)
subinmanaladil, this discussion indeed is old.. I have now owned and driven around for more than 20k kms and honestly I have just got.used to it... However, there is no getting away from the stuff ride of seltos, which gets better with a full house rather than just the driver, which for me is more than 90% of the journeys...

The issue with high PSI was constantly having issues with punctures and generally a bouncy ride.. specifically if you are like me who on small undulations have a habbit of speeding up rather than slowing down...

And no amount of discussions on this are going to make it more plusher like a creta... Wish it was the case...

I do believe there are a number of things that a creta does better than its cousin... But looks "inside n out" still ain't one of them
Old 18th July 2021, 17:48   #1877

Quote:
I tried out both 32 psi and 40 psi(after reading your post) on my Kia Seltos htx diesel with goodyear assuarance oem tyres - terrible tyres for ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
subinmanaladil, this discussion indeed is old.. I have now owned and driven around for more than 20k kms and honestly I have just got.used to it... However, there is no getting away from the stuff ride of seltos, which gets better with a full house rather than just the driver, which for me is more than 90% of the journeys...
I usually avoid SUVs as I find their ride to be boat like (even the best ones can't compare to same segment sedans). However, the Seltos rode well enough to be considered for purchase. Long-term ownership had me angry with the extremely stiff ride till I tried these tyre pressures.

As for higher psi, I haven't had a single puncture to date (touchwood). Finished 15k on the odo so far over 1.5 years (Covid lockdowns). Did a 2 day trip from Kerala to Chennai and back through Idukki district (ghats) ~1,200 km with 40 psi. So far, the tyres seem fine.

35 psi ride is unacceptably bad for a car of this price, no two ways about it.

Waiting to change over to Michelins

Last edited by Aditya : 26th July 2021 at 18:09. Reason: Typos. quoted text trimmed
subinmanaladil is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th July 2021, 23:06   #1878
BANNED

Dear BHPians,

I am about to finalize booking HTK+ iMT and could not find official reviews in our forum. I really dependent on the high standard best reviews by GTO and other contributors (sorry not to name all because of my remembrance).

Test drove it yesterday and found it super cool except for outside noise coming in (am ok for it) and want to know did anyone notice it. Rest it has splendid road presence, easy drivability and top-grade gear switching. Loved it. Want to see the review before I go ahead to book. Appreciate the forum's valuable guidance on this.

Mod Note:

Dear BHPian,

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers. Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st July 2021 at 13:46. Reason: Typos corrected. Mod Note Inline
Old 21st July 2021, 06:25   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Did a 2 day trip from kerala to chennai and back through idukki district(ghats) ~ 1200 km with 40 psi. So far tyres seem fine.
However wouldn't such high psi take a toll on the suspension components of the car, even though the tyres are fine.
Old 21st July 2021, 13:01   #1880

A question to all the JK UX royale shod seltos owners, How are they behaving in terms of the following;

1. Road noise
2. Handling
3. Wet grip
4. Road manners at abrupt steering movement

Would you suggest to get it changed out of the showroom?

I'm taking delivery of Seltos GTX+ D AT by next week and they have arrived with the UX royale from the factory.
I was in the decision to get the tyres changed if it had come with the Goodyears.

Now in a dilemma to go ahead with the switch to Mich primacy or bridgestone dueler.

Kindly give your inputs & experiences.
Old 21st July 2021, 21:43   #1881
BHPian

Quote:

As for higher psi, I havt had a single puncture to date(touchwood). Finished 15k on odo so far over 1.5 years(covid lockdowns) Did a 2 day trip from kerala to chennai and back through idukki district(ghats) ~ 1200 km with 40 psi. So far tyres seem fine.

35 psi ride is unacceptably bad for a car of this price, no two ways about it.
Waii to change overto michelis
I got my new Seltos about 2 weeks ago and have driven ~600 Kms till date. Found the ride to be quite stiff at the recommended 35 PSI and based on some recommendations - started using 32 PSI hoping that it would make the ride more plush.. But it was doing more harm than good.

Basis your feedback, I filled in 38PSI in my tyres today and voila ! found the ride quality a few notches better. My wife and daughter (in her car seat) were riding the back seat - my wife immediately noticed the difference. She was really enjoyed the ride.

Question to experts: Would filling higher pressure (38 PSI) in tyres than the recommended (35 PSI) put excessive pressure on the suspensions?
Old 21st July 2021, 22:34   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamind View Post
How are they behaving in terms of the following;

1. Road noise
2. Handling
3. Wet grip

I've driven ~1200 kms on the UX Royale's over the last 30 days, 50:50 city:highway. My tires are at 33psi.
  1. Road noise - Quite bad and evident, especially at the recommended 35psi. Dropping it down to 33psi helps with this a bit. It gets drowned out to some extent with A/C and music turned on.
  2. Handling - Decent, takes corners well, feels well planted. Absorbs brake force quite well. Ride is quite stiff though, especially over patchy roads, I'm still experimenting with different pressures.
  3. Wet grip - Seems good, did not notice a decrease in stopping distance, no instances of hydroplaning. Have driven in rain most of the time thanks to ongoing monsoons. Cannot comment on high-speed braking.
  4. Road manners - Nothing to complain about, even at higher speeds. Dropping to 33psi does seem to make the ride a bit more bouncy at highway speeds though.

Would I recommend changing - Yes, for comfort and noise. I had planned to switch to Michelin's or continental's, however, I was getting buyback offers of just around Rs 1500 / tyre which did not make sense.
amitwiz1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 13:00   #1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
I've driven ~1200 kms on the UX Royale's over the last 30 days, 50:50 city:highway. My tires are at 33psi.
====
Would I recommend changing - Yes, for comfort and noise. I had planned to switch to Michelin's or continental's, however, I was getting buyback offers of just around Rs 1500 / tyre which did not make sense.
That's unreasonable for a new tyre.
I'm getting a quote of Rs.3000/tyre for the JK UX royale which is again not the best one can get for a new tyre but the dealer says that the tyres without B&W will fetch nothing more than that.
So after the buyback,
Michelin primacy 4: Rs.32,000/-
Continental CrossContact LX2: 26,000/-

Will the swap be worth it?
I do love a silent cabin and a compliant ride and don't mind spending for that.

Also is the under chassis painting required/worth doing in Seltos right out of the showroom?
Old 22nd July 2021, 13:32   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
That's unreasonable for a new tyre.
I'm getting a quote of Rs.3000/tyre for the JK UX royale which is again not the best one can get for a new tyre but the dealer says that the tyres without B&W will fetch nothing more than that.
So after the buyback,
Michelin primacy 4: Rs.32,000/-
Continental CrossContact LX2: 26,000/-

Will the swap be worth it?
I do love a silent cabin and a compliant ride and don't mind spending for that.

Also is the under chassis painting required/worth doing in Seltos right out of the showroom?
Own a HTX + and here are my thoughts,

Invest the tyre cost in damping, the outcome is a super silent ride. I got mine done about 45 days ago and it is most definitely worth it.

The underchasis rubber coating is a must imo, have done it on all my cars. It also costs relatively nothing, I think 3M charged me 4.5k for it.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 13:43   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
A question to all the JK UX royale shod seltos owners, How are they behaving in terms of the following;

1. Road noise
2. Handling
3. Wet grip

I'm taking delivery of Seltos GTX+ D AT by next week and they have arrived with the UX royale from the factory.
I was in the decision to get the tyres changed if it had come with the Goodyears.

Now in a dilemma to go ahead with the switch to Mich primacy or bridgestone dueler.

Kindly give your inputs & experiences.
I would suggest to get them replaced as soon as you take delivery. I have had very bad experience with JK UX Royale on my Seltos. Within 2000 kms one tyre got blast when I was driving at 80kmp/h on a smooth 4 lane highway, luckily it was rear tyre. After this incident I changed all the tyres to Yokohama Earth 1.

Also JK UX Royale are very noisy compared to Earth 1 and after swapping the tyres the ride quality of my Seltos has also improved.

Vijay
vijay_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:20   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Also JK UX Royale are very noisy compared to Earth 1 and after swapping the tyres the ride quality of my Seltos has also improved.

Vijay
Feedback from a Creta Diesel AT owner: The UX Royales are not bad, not exceedingly great either. They will do the job decently well in terms of speed, handling, noise etc. Its not like you need to replace them on day-1. If you have the cash, of course you can, but it could be deferred as well.
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:26   #1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Own a HTX + and here are my thoughts,

Invest the tyre cost in damping, the outcome is a super silent ride. I got mine done about 45 days ago and it is most definitely worth it.
Damping the inner wheels wells along with doors or just the doors?
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:33   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Can you elaborate, Stribog? What did you get done, how much did it cost you?
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:41   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
Can you elaborate, Stribog? What did you get done, how much did it cost you?
I basically damped all 4 doors, and the boot area (with left over damping material).

It very simply is using elastomeric butyl (think something like thick rubberised sheets?) to fill in your door frames. Door frames of sub 50, 60l cars are made of thin sheet material (luxury cars get damped from the factory gate), this allows sound to travel both in and out, a lot of the "tyre noise"for instance seeps in.

By damping you add 1-3 kg (based on material and level of damping) of this sound absorbent material to your door linings. This prevents sound from leaking out OR more importantly outside noises from seeping in. It also improves the quality of your speakers substantially.

I have also added the rubberised 3M underchasis coating so that avenue of road noise is also minimised.

Combined, my cabin relative to non damped, non under chasis coated Seltos' is very quiet.

My point was, if you are changing your UX Royales because of tyre noise (and not the grip or other factors), then you can spend Rs 5-15k (based on the material used, the costs fluctuate wildly) to do damping + 5k for underchasis coating (which also will help reduce rust from forming) and get a better sound deadening effect.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:23   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Feedback from a Creta Diesel AT owner: The UX Royales are not bad, not exceedingly great either. They will do the job decently well in terms of speed, handling, noise etc. Its not like you need to replace them on day-1. If you have the cash, of course you can, but it could be deferred as well.
Even I read the same feedback from others about JK UX Royale's and was really happy to find JK UX Royale on my Seltos as OEM, but tyre blast within 2000 kms that too on a very good road at 80kmph made me change my mind.

Vijay

Most Viewed