Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 16:34   #2011
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

One more update to my car, @ 24,500 kms am changing the brake pads to Brembo pads.

The front disc rotors are also pitted so the FNG is grinding them out before replacing the pads.

Will update once done with the actual difference in OEM and Brembo.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:32   #2012
BHPian

A member of the Kia Seltos group on FB, posted this today.
I checked with my SA at Vihaan Kia. Apparently this is not a fake call. Kia Motors are selecting and sending at random, a few Diesel cars to Pune for emissions testing, if the owner is willing. He didn't know the reason behind this.
Have any of you heard about this? Sounds strange.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20211008182618.jpg  

Last edited by John : 8th October 2021 at 18:37.
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:34   #2013
BHPian

I can smell a SCAM brewing up. Next a QR code will be sent and money siphoned off your bank accounts. Beware of such stuff, tread with extreme caution !!!
Old 9th October 2021, 01:39   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
I can smell a SCAM brewing up. Next a QR code will be sent and money siphoned off your bank accounts. Beware of such stuff, tread with extreme caution !!!
Its not a scam. I checked with the KIA service centre
Old 9th October 2021, 16:44   #2015
BHPian

What is so special about the cars sold by Vihan Kia when so many Seltos' are available in Pune?
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 16:49   #2016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
What is so special about the cars sold by Vihan Kia when so many Seltos' are available in Pune?
Kia could be sampling, collecting cars from across different cities and dealers.
Old 10th October 2021, 10:04   #2017

Kia Seltos X Line - B.A. comes home

Hi everyone. Hope each of you are keeping safe. Has been a while since I posted something (years now actually) and with the new addition to the family, felt it was time to pen something in.

Background

After moving from the Hyundai Accent to the Linea T-Jet in 2010, the turbo bug had bitten me bad. Torque is truly addictive and once you have experienced it, it is hard to go back to naturally aspirated engines.

The T-Jet did excellent duty till 2016 when I had to leave the country after which she started developing a lot of niggles which Fiat service struggled to rectify. Since it was my better half using it in my absence, a replacement was needed. Had walked into the Hyundai showroom in Feb 2020 with the intention of picking up the Venue. After seeing the space, the ladies insisted on a bigger car and we settled on the Hyundai Creta SX Auto. This was pre-covid and pre-BSVI deadline. Hence, got fabulous discounts at the time.

With the lockdown, the Creta hardly did any kms in a year. Two trips to Goa in 2021 brought the ODO upto 6000 kms. It was a comfortable and easy to drive ride. But that thirst for torque would just not go away. Add to that the soft suspension of the Creta which added to the body roll meant decent speeds on ghat curves sent my luggage all over the place. And with my move back to India due to Covid, it meant I was now the primary driver and not my better half.

Options considered

2021 Creta

- The new Turbo Petrol model ticked all the boxes for me and the panoramic sun roof was a definite plus. Add to that reliable Hyundai service and it was an easy decision. But the better half threatened me with dire consequences if I replaced a year and half old Creta for another Creta. Hence, dropped this from the list

Hyundai Alcazar

- Decided to take a test drive. The showroom was quite empty when I visited and managed to get a Diesel 6 seater AT for the test. The rear captain seats did not feel as roomy as expected. The weight of the car was evident during the test drive and did not even match the nimble handling of my previous gen Creta. Did not have much hope on the petrol version given the weight of the car and the price of petrol. Hence dropped this from the list too

XUV 500

- This was one car I always looked towards owing. Fun to drive, spacious and powerful. Icing on the cake was my daughter's bestie having the same car (in addition to same school, same tuition teacher,etc.). No test drive was offered and did not need one. Availability of versions was an issue. They could give me the red W11 from the showroom or a silver W9. Was keen on a black W11, but it was not in stock and with production winding down, it was unlikely to come in either. There were massive discounts and with an exchange for the Creta, I was looking at a down payment of just 9 lakhs. I was ready to come back the next day and book it.

Kia Seltos

- Unlike the other showrooms, the Autobahn showroom in Powai was crowded. Took us a while to even get attended to. Managed a test drive of a GTX Diesel AT and was hooked. The same engine from the Alcazar behaved totally different here. Thought again about the increasing petrol prices and the fears around DCT - finalized on getting a Diesel instead after the test drive and looked at the Xline.

Other options considered

• Tata Harrier - wonderful product and within my budget. But social media is full of horror stories of Harrier owners frustrated with quality issues. Hence ruled out
  • XUV 700 - the introduction videos had me drooling. But being a new product, was wary of picking something up from the first lot which was likely to have niggles. Plus the waiting period was too long and booking were yet to start.
  • Jeep Compass - this was my ultimate choice if I could afford it. Handled like a dream when I drove a friend's once. But the Limited version was way above budget. I considered getting a second hand one and keeping the Creta for the better half - but she was against spending so much for a used vehicle though it was coming at half the price of a new one
  • Renault Duster turbo - barring the gizmos in newer gen cars, the vehicle was a second choice after the Jeep Compass. Superb Ride quality and a turbo petrol finally. But this iteration came too late and the model was long in the tooth

Booking experience and Delivery

The experience with Autobahn was nothing to write home about. They seemed more keen on collecting feedback than actually providing service. I also visited Shivaay Kia in Mumbai and it was a similar experience. Even without a test drive, they insisted I fill up the form for feedback on the test. Clearly getting good customer feedback was a key target for them.

The issue was that they took too long to give a quote for the Creta and started at 11.2 Lakhs plus insisted that I release the vehicle right away. This took me away from Kia and I had finalized the XUV 500 instead who were willing to let me keep the Creta and even quoted 13.6 Lakhs. Icing on the cake was that on the day I planned to book, they even called up to say they found a black W11.

But in parallel, I had also escalated on Twitter to Kia Care India which took some time as they collected my info. But subsequent response was amazing. Autobahn Kia Powai called up and provided a revised quote and assured allocation. After weighing on the future support for the XUV, finalized the Seltos. After negotiations, the exchange price was coming to around 9.24 Lakhs.

Had hoped to get a good number, but the amount quoted by the dealer was too high and I did not have time to visit the RTO and undergo the process myself. Was informed that they had received a first lot of X Line cars and one was allotted. I could collect it in the first week of October.

At the time of delivery, all the paper work was ready. They did the honors of covering the car with a red cloth that we grandly pulled back. There was an advisor who was kind enough to explain everything and helped configure UVO. We got a coupon for 5 litres of diesel as the tank was near empty. (With the Creta, it already had that 5 litres filled it when we took delivery)

Following are the accessories / options that we got which I think makes sense
  • Leather Lamination of the interior body
  • Anti Rust Coating
  • Door Visor
  • 3D floor and boot mats
  • Body Cover
  • Tyre inflator (Bell Aire 3000)

The below were included and I feel these should have been allowed as optional. It took the final on road cost of the car to 22.24 Lakhs.
  • Car Cat kit (for keeping rats away). We do not have rats in our building and this could have been avoided
  • Tissue box and Car dustbin
  • Rear sunshade - hampered the view while driving at night. Lying idle at home and can give away if anyone wants it for free
  • Premium cushions and neck rest - the latter is too low for me on the seat to be of use.
  • Box number plate - charged at Rs.1250/- with Autobahn logo on it. A normal one like Hyundai had done at zero charge would have been good enough

Driving experience

A lot has been written across posts in several forums on the Seltos and I will avoid repeating those here. Most of the features are same as what you would see on the GTX+ variants.

Majority of the differences are cosmetic and could be listed as follows -
  • Paint - this is one thing that stands out. From a distance, you cannot make out the difference between a normal grey seltos. But when closer, it does look unique and people do ask if I repainted it. There is a bunch of do's and don'ts with the car I have shared as a picture in this post.
  • Interior - The Indigo Pera leatherette seats with matching door panel trim stands out in day light as being different. It is subtle enough to not be an eyesore, but comfortable and smooth to the touch
  • Wheels - the 18 inch alloys are different from the GT and HT line series, but reminds me of a similar design on the Sonet.
  • Ride quality - was expecting a harsh ride quality with the previous year Seltos having stiff suspensions and now with the lower profile R18 wheels. Was pleasantly surprised to feel it handle most broken roads almost as well as the Creta did. High speed behavior remains to be seen
  • TPMS - this is now showing a pressure of 47 to 49. Not sure if this is right as I expected it to be in the 33 to 35 PSI range.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-linea.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-creta.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-showroom.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-parked-2.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-car-cat.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-mat-leather.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-seat.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-tpms.jpg  

t_manish76 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 11:52   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos X Line - B.A. comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manish76 View Post
[*] TPMS - this is now showing a pressure of 47 to 49. Not sure if this is right as I expected it to be in the 33 to 35 PSI range.
This is way too high, it's over inflated and would result in uneven wear besides giving a very hard and rough ride. Set it to 33-34 when tyre is cold.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 09:28   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
TPMS - this is now showing a pressure of 47 to 49. Not sure if this is right as I expected it to be in the 33 to 35 PSI range. [/list]
Congratulations Sir, beautiful car, Seltos is definitely a looker and the new X-Line looks drool worthy with that new shade of grey !!

Also, please check with your dealership or the owner manual, the tire pressure is wayy too much according to me (maybe 18 inch wheels have different psi), I maintain 33 psi in the city and 35 on road trips in my Creta 1.4.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 09:41   #2020

Tried setting it to 34 at a nearby tyrewala. Did not have time to go to one of those with electronic meters. It now reads 39 to 40 after a 30 min drive. May have to reset it once again at a proper tyre shop. The tires are jk tyre ux royale 215/55r18
Old 13th October 2021, 12:36   #2021
BHPian

I love the Seltos X-Line's Matte Grey Paint. It is rare to see a matte paint on any car, but it is just sad that auto YouTuber's were making videos as if this is some new car.

Love the looks inside and out, it certainly is one of the rare good looking cosmetic variants in this Segment (Tata Safari Gold, I am talking about you).

Congrats on the Purchase and wish you many happy miles in the car.
KingKong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:52   #2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
Congratulations Sir, beautiful car, Seltos is definitely a looker and the new X-Line looks drool worthy with that new shade of grey !!

Also, please check with your dealership or the owner manual, the tire pressure is wayy too much according to me (maybe 18 inch wheels have different psi), I maintain 33 psi in the city and 35 on road trips in my Creta 1.4.
Thank You RohaNN_kWh...definitely a beauty and I do get asked if I repainted it by the car washers and parking attendants.

I reset the tyre pressure to 34, but the TPMS shows it at 29 after a drive. Will need to get it checked.
t_manish76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:56   #2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKong View Post
I love the Seltos X-Line's Matte Grey Paint. It is rare to see a matte paint on any car, but it is just sad that auto YouTuber's were making videos as if this is some new car.

Love the looks inside and out, it certainly is one of the rare good looking cosmetic variants in this Segment (Tata Safari Gold, I am talking about you).

Congrats on the Purchase and wish you many happy miles in the car.
Thank you King Kong. The matte paint definitely turns heads and so do the alloys. Normal grey GTX+ drivers do give a second look when they realize the car is different.

Agree that the auto Youtuber videos were somewhat misleading many to thinking that this was a new car when the changes are more cosmetic. But in my view the premium was worth it to stand out from the crowd of so many Seltos' already out there.
t_manish76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 14:35   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tried setting it to 34 at a nearby tyrewala. Did not have time to go to one of those with electronic meters. It now reads 39 to 40 after a 30 min drive. May have to reset it once again at a proper tyre shop. The tires are jk tyre ux royale 215/55r18
Congratulations on your drive. Wish you many miles of happy driving.

Tyre inflator, air pressure gauge and TPMS are must have things for your car. Considering you already have TPMS suggest you get an inflator and air pressure gauge, you get good ones in Amazon.

I used to fill air from best of the petrol bunks and tyre shops in Bangalore, and still TPMS used to show wrong numbers. But then got the inflator and gauge and all those external filling numbers were seriously off. In some cases I filled 33 and the gauge and inflator was only showing 28.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 14:59   #2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Congratulations on your drive. Wish you many miles of happy driving.

Tyre inflator, air pressure gauge and TPMS are must have things for your car. Considering you already have TPMS suggest you get an inflator and air pressure gauge, you get good ones in Amazon.

I used to fill air from best of the petrol bunks and tyre shops in Bangalore, and still TPMS used to show wrong numbers. But then got the inflator and gauge and all those external filling numbers were seriously off. In some cases I filled 33 and the gauge and inflator was only showing 28.
Thank You sunikkat. Kia did include a Bel Aire 3000 with the car. I just need to figure out how to use it. Will make time this weekend to take the car out of the congested parking and give it a shot.

I too do share the same apprehension around the local tyre shops. But was of the impression that the computerized ones at the petrol bunks were more accurate. Was wondering what is the level of trust on the built in TPMS systems - how accurate are those or could those be wrong too?
Attached Images

Most Viewed