Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 11th May 2020, 12:34   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Triber : Official Review

I know it is a bit late to add but only got to properly see the car a couple of days ago. I have to admit that I was fairly surprised at the size of the car and space inside. I was expecting Datsun Go+ like car but this is so much better than that. Top model car has decent tech and safety and provided at a price of base B segment hatch. This is one of the most VFM people mover with decent comfort.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 11:24   #62

I have started facing a steering problem with my Renault triber. The problem has remained unresolved post taking the car to the dealership. If the car is parked for more then 30 minutes with steering locked towards the left side. When you come back to start driving the car. The car starts to pull to the left side this keeps on happening for 10 -15 odd km. And if you are driving in a straight line the problem will stay till you stop turn the steering in both directions couple of times and switch off and switch on the car. The mechanics at the service centre replaced the shockers. I have been telling them its the problem with the rack but they are not understanding. I would like to ask if anybody else is facing a similar problem. What are your recommendations of how to resolve this problem as its getting frustrating for me?

PS I have got the wheel balancing and alignment checked and there is no problem
Old 30th May 2020, 17:34   #63
BHPian

Probably the first ever (private - not test mules) Triber to successfully go and come back from Rohtang Pass ever since it was launched last year. The details will come up on my ownership review (Ownership Review of my Renault Triber RXZ (Electric Blue)) soon.

Renault Triber : Official Review-img_20200530_113431425_hdr.jpg

In all, the car was carrying 5 adults and a 3 years old in his car seat with some bits of luggage.
AdityaDeane is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

This post should probably be on the ‘What Car’ space but since I can’t find an appropriate previous post there and since it is related specifically to the Triber, I thought I could put it here.
A friend of mine, a senior citizen, in his early 60s is looking to buy a new car once the Covid situation stabilizes. He is semi-retired, an academic who will probably clock 500 to 700 kms per month. The car will be mostly running in town (self-driven) with the occasional long trip and a trip to their property in the hills (where the roads are pretty awful). He is a fairly sedate driver. Occasionally, their children and extended family would be visiting them and there would be the inevitable airport runs and inter-city trips with luggage and 5 to 6 people on board.
In fact, the last time they had to hire a taxi apart from the car they were using, from Calicut to Cochin since there were six people.
Currently he is using his brother-in-law’s Ecosport which is kept at their house – they are in Bahrain but plan to move back to India in a few months. Hence his need to buy a car.
His budget is below 10 lacs on the road for a petrol automatic.
Apparently he travelled in a Datsun Go Plus some time ago and though he was not particularly enamoured by the looks of the car he said he felt it offered flexibility of space, while being fairly compact. I suggested he take a look at the Triber AMT – he took a look at the website and I showed him this official thread as well – he liked the looks, the flexibility of seat arrangement and space and he plans to take a test drive in some time when things settle down (is a bit chary about going out and driving a test car at this point of time).
Since he leans on my advice, I am a bit concerned about a couple of things with this car - which I have not yet mentioned to him.
No offence to any Renault Triber owners but –
Renault service is considered iffy (although I guess it would vary from centre to centre).
Safety – with NCAP tests not yet done, it is a question mark – going by Renault’s rather chequered record in the past on the same – what with smaller sized airbags on the Duster, the extremely poor NCAP rating/comments on the Kwid and some videos floating around on a couple of horrendous crashes of the Triber complete with grisly images.
But some other sites suggest that these are not to be taken seriously and that this reworked platform has higher safety levels – with 4 airbags and other safety aids.
So the question being - is this MPV worth considering? If I advise him against it he will definitely drop this idea.

Last edited by wilful : 23rd July 2020 at 10:12.
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:20   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
So the question being - is this MPV worth considering? If I advise him against it he will definitely drop this idea.
It certainly is worth considering in the list of options. Don't discount it altogether at an early stage.

Also - as I understand - the need is for a potential 6 seater but within the upper cap of 10 Lakh INR OTR. What other better options are there realistically? If he is able to stretch or do away with some creature comfort features perhaps he can consider the Ertiga lower trims. Certainly a better car no doubt. But then the requirement of an automatic means he has to go for the costlier XL6 instead.

With a Triber though I'd suggest to wait a bit and check how the turbo-charged variant turns out. Considering the usage being in roads with frequent inclines, perhaps more power would come handy.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Occasionally, their children and extended family would be visiting them and there would be the inevitable airport runs and inter-city trips with luggage and 5 to 6 people on board.
In fact, the last time they had to hire a taxi apart from the car they were using, from Calicut to Cochin since there were six people.
Currently he is using his brother-in-law’s Ecosport which is kept at their house – they are in Bahrain but plan to move back to India in a few months. Hence his need to buy a car.
A B Segment car is enough for him, why do you want to spend additional 4 lakhs for occasional use. Hire a Uber for such trips.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 12:01   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently he travelled in a Datsun Go Plus some time ago and though he was not particularly enamoured by the looks of the car he said he felt it offered flexibility of space, while being fairly compact. I suggested he take a look at the Triber AMT – he took a look at the website and
No offence to any Renault Triber owners but –
Renault service is considered iffy (although I guess it would vary from centre to centre).
Safety – with NCAP tests not yet done, it is a question mark – going by Renault’s rather chequered record in the past on the same – what with smaller sized airbags on the Duster, the extremely poor NCAP rating/comments on the Kwid and some videos floating around on a couple of horrendous crashes of the Triber complete with grisly images.
Hi, regarding the safety, from my experience with the car and it's build, it will surely get a 3 star like a Maruti Suzuki. The doors sound even better than a Maruti. It is definitely worth considering if your relative is planning to get a Maruti Suzuki in terms of safety.

Regarding the after sales, it depends on the service center. Ours is KUN who has pretty much every company like Hyundai, BMW under their belt and their service is good. Also, escalating a problem to Renault customer care is easy and they will get back to you quickly. I have done this twice for power windows fault and the problem was resolved quickly.

And the AMT part, the manual mode will help him in the hills. We have Dr. Aditya who is living with Triber in Manali and he never complained. He might help you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
A B Segment car is enough for him, why do you want to spend additional 4 lakhs for occasional use. Hire a Uber for such trips.
Sir, Triber is cheaper than a Swift/i10. But, yeah it lacks performance.
Jagann13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 13:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
It certainly is worth considering in the list of options. Don't discount it altogether at an early stage.

Also - as I understand - the need is for a potential 6 seater but within the upper cap of 10 Lakh INR OTR. What other better options are there realistically?
Thank you. Yes -the only other option in that budget is Datsun Go Plus but it is not really an option considering the much smaller wheelbase and consequently the lower space for occupants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Thanks - that is an option but I guess they all like to travel in the same car if possible - he was grumbling about the last occasion I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
Hi, regarding the safety, from my experience with the car and it's build, it will surely get a 3 star like a Maruti Suzuki. The doors sound even better than a Maruti. It is definitely worth considering if your relative is planning to get a Maruti Suzuki in terms of safety.

Regarding the after sales, it depends on the service center. Also, escalating a problem to Renault customer care is easy and they will get back to you quickly. I have done this twice for power windows fault and the problem was resolved quickly.

And the AMT part, the manual mode will help him in the hills. We have Dr. Aditya who is living with Triber in Manali and he never complained. He might help you on this.

Thanks for your detailed inputs.
As a user, your comments reassure me (in giving the right suggestion to him) - the safety part especially.
And it is good to know about Dr.Aditya's experience in the hills with the AMT (his runs up will be once every month or two).
Performance is not really an issue for him as I mentioned, he is a sedate driver - so is his wife.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 14:13   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
...the manual mode will help him in the hills. We have Dr. Aditya who is living with Triber in Manali and he never complained. He might help you on this.

Thanks for recommending my personal experience Jagann13! Even I would recommend the car in a budget of Rs.10 Lakhs with an Automatic.

Quote:
And it is good to know about Dr.Aditya's experience in the hills with the AMT (his runs up will be once every month or two).
Performance is not really an issue for him as I mentioned, he is a sedate driver - so is his wife.
Hello @wilful! Sorry but I own a Manual model, not the AMT! But regarding the engine's ability to climb slopes in triptronic mode (which is like driving the manual), I can say that my car has not disappointed me ever. It was able to climb up the steepest road in Manali this Saturday with 4 adults and my kid (in his car seat) with some camping equipment with ease, mostly in 2nd gear, but at the steepest part in the 1st gear.

I always emphasize, if you are okay with a sedate engine which does the job, go for the Triber with the current engine. Else, if you wish to have a spirited drive, wait for the Turbo version. I have sat in the last row and travelled myself, and as long as the middle row occupants are accommodating, there's no problem with leg room for everyone.

I believe that the car will score a 4 or more stars when tested by Global NCAP, but will have to wait till they officially do. I have completed over 3K kilometres in my car, and my average fuel economy is around 14Km/L here in the hills. You can share my ownership experience with him as well:- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...tric-blue.html (Ownership Review of my Renault Triber RXZ (Electric Blue))
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Thanks for recommending my personal experience Jagann13! Even I would recommend the car in a budget of Rs.10 Lakhs with an Automatic.
Hello @wilful! Sorry but I own a Manual model, not the AMT!

I always emphasize, if you are okay with a sedate engine which does the job, go for the Triber with the current engine. Else, if you wish to have a spirited drive, wait for the Turbo version. I have sat in the last row and travelled myself, and as long as the middle row occupants are accommodating, there's no problem with leg room for everyone.

I believe that the car will score a 4 or more stars when tested by Global NCAP, but will have to wait till they officially do.
Thank you very much for your detailed response. Good to know that the Triber serves you well and even better to know you find it decent on the safety aspect. Let’s hope your words come true when it is tested by NCAP.
I guess it will be out in a few months and in any case my friend plans to test drive only by the end of the year.
I went through your ownership thread - very useful and I shall certainly share it with my friend.
Thanks once again.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 23:01   #71
BHPian

This was a great review, it’s up there among one of the greats. Thank you Mr. Chirag. Makes me wanna go buy this car if not for that engine. Eagerly waiting for the turbo.
Apart from that, I hope India gets more such interesting cars. The camper in me yearns for such designs.

If ever I want to chase one my dreams to live on 4 wheels, travelling, without a destination, this car would be perfect without huge number of mods. Also does not cost a fortune to buy & maintain this one.
Off-topic question, how practical is living out of a car travelling in India for a short while? Without this pandemic of course. How intense the hassle by cops could get? Wasn’t difficult at all in USA.

Neo

Last edited by neo_narender : 25th July 2020 at 23:24. Reason: Grammar
Old 26th July 2020, 02:17   #72
BHPian

Found a few videos of accidental Triber's, showing the damages incurred. May help someone who is skeptical about the safety aspect of the car. I am not associated with any of these YouTube Channels in any way, just sharing for others benefit, and to get views on people's deduction of the safety of the car, as this is supposedly a modified and safer platform from Renault, the CMF-A+.

Seems like a well built car, even in the Rear End Impact with a Bolero as in the first video. And the roof and pillars seem to have taken the weight well in case of roll over accidents in the last 2 videos.
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 12:58   #73

With no disrespect to previous posts suggesting Triber being a safe(r) car, I would like to provide link to this video.
I do not understand Tamil but I believe the video says Triber is not that safe especially compared to Nexon. But, in the first place I didn't understand why it was compared with Nexon.
As a prospective buyer I am waiting for both Turbo charged engine as well as crash test results for Triber.
Old 18th August 2020, 16:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingHorse View Post
With no disrespect to previous posts suggesting Triber being a safe(r) car, I would like to provide link to this video. https://Youtu.be/Wj6dU2QPicw
I do not understand Tamil but I believe the video says Triber is not that safe especially compared to Nexon.

...as well as crash test results for Triber.
The video you have shared here is one of the first accident of any Triber in the country where the car crashed in a very high (read >100Km/Hr IIRC) behind a (stationary IIRC) Truck. We do not have any photos or videos immediately after the accident, what we do have is this shown in the video, after the roof has been cut open to take the driver (and any passengers) out. So, it is misleading that the roof opened up and the car had so much damage, compared to other Nexon accidents. Here is a vlog trying to shed some light in the accident video you have shared:

Yes compared to a Nexon, the Triber may not be a Global NCAP 5 Star Rated car and it may not score the full 5 stars, maximum I am assuming (as an owner) is a 4 Star Rating, but at those high speeds and against a truck, I'm not sure how any other 5 star rated car may have behaved.

Even I am awaiting a Crash Test Result by Global NCAP. I was reading an Article by some South African media, and as per them the Indian made Triber was Crash Tested by Global NCAP in January or February 2020, but they haven't released the results still. According to them it didn't score even a single star, but that is impossible, as all cars with at least a Driver Airbag and ABS etc. Scores at least 1 Star in those tests irrespective of how the shell is or how badly the dummies suffer in the crash tests! Keeping the fingers crossed!

Link to the article:- https://www.iol.co.za/thepost/news/h...8-3a3e4b6fac86

Excerpt from the article:
Quote:
In response to the Triber rating a zero for the NCAP crash testing system, she said the vehicles were sent to Germany to undergo the Global NCAP test in February but did not yet have the results.

She said Renault had improved the safety of the Kwid during the past year by adding ABS + SBR, passenger airbag and an improved roadholding thanks to the 14” wheels and a new rear axle.

“However, being a facelift, the fundamental structure of the car has not changed, so the GNCAP results will remain similar, even if the passenger safety will be better thanks to the additional airbag. We have taken the right steps towards improving the safety of Kwid with NEW KWID but we don’t expect to see the great jump in the GNCAP crash test results until the arrival of the totally New Kwid.”
Old 18th October 2020, 21:48   #75
BHPian

Just noticed something very interesting today while attending a call on my Media Nav System while being stuck in a Traffic Jam.

Renault Triber : Official Review-img_20201018_161831231.jpg

Notice the attention to detail, even the Bluetooth Call on Car sign has a Renault Logo in it!

Renault Triber : Official Review-img_20201018_161836078.jpg
Close Up Shot

I think this should be added in the "Small Yet Significant Things" section of the review!!
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed