Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 23:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Triber : Official Review

Great review! The car looks beautiful on roads. If only there was a premium version of this car. Current version suits its class, but its quality can be improved a lot. That’s why I feel it could have been a 10 lakh class car with superior quality than being a 5 lakh one with bare minimum (mediocre?) quality.
Old 25th January 2020, 06:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wow, just wow! Get a 1.2 CVT AT this product can fly off the shelf. The Renault mini MPV has come before Maruti could get their WagonR based version.

This is truly great car for the money. 5* review too. I really like the thought behind the removable third row of seats. What really gets my goat is the seat-belts without pre-tensioners in 2019.

If they are committed to India, Renault should do a better job in launching next gen cars. The Duster was fabulous, but needed a serious update once the Creta and (now) the Seltos arrived. Renault really has some massive catching up to do. Duster owners are mostly a happy bunch too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
10 lakh class car with superior quality than being a 5 lakh one with bare minimum (mediocre?) quality.
That'll get it dangerously close to the Ertiga. I'm not sure Renault can handle that battle with this platform.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th January 2020 at 06:10.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 08:24   #33
BHPian

Excellent review, signature attention to details. Rated 5 stars.

A friend bought Triber and I got a chance to drive. I was surprised that a 7-8 Lac car has so much on offer. ABS, 4 Airbags, Magic seats, Keyless entry, Touch screen ICE, Reverse camera and 7 usable seats

Renault has come a long way, I still remember the debates bashing Renault for giving stepmotherly treatment to Indian cars in terms of safety.

The engine is not peppy but didn't feel underpowered either considering its an MPV. It revvs high though to compensate for the power.

Of course it can be improved in many areas, but it is definitely an amazing package, too good to be true at that price.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 25th January 2020 at 08:27.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 13:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

Wow, just wow! Get a 1.2 CVT AT this product can fly off the shelf.

This is truly great car for the money. 5* review too. I really like the thought behind the removable third row of seats.

The Duster was fabulous, but needed a serious update once the Creta and (now) the Seltos arrived. Renault really has some massive catching up to do. Duster owners are mostly a happy bunch too.

That'll get it dangerously close to the Ertiga. I'm not sure Renault can handle that battle with this platform.

Yes, they must give us CVT and not AMT. CVTs smoothness is phenomenal. And, that single gear infinite ratio feels like driving an EV.

Duster. Renault pioneered the mini-SUV segment in 2012 but went to sleep on their laurels. Next to Creta, Seltos it looks bland and under under-featured. But, there is nothing that can beat Duster on suspension front. My brother recently bought Duster petrol CVT in Bangalore and that thing just flies over potholes and bumps. Orthopedics should prescribe Dusters to anyone with spondylitis or back aches. It was that good.

Coming to extra-specced Triber closing in on Ertiga's price point, I think having a wide price range actually helps. Look at Koreans success story. Both Creta and Seltos has variants priced from 9.xx to 17.xx. That is, the topmost variant costing almost twice as much as the base variant. It's almost like there is a Seltos for every buyer. Since Triber is already very reasonably priced, there is room to add some more features and price up the top variant a bit.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 16:17   #35
BHPian

Renault had all the ingredients to make Triber one of the best selling cars in India, unfortunately the engine transmission kind of killed it for me. I still don't understand why they did not use the 1.2 with CVT on this. Hope they realize this and bring the 1.2 at the earliest.
Old 25th January 2020, 23:08   #36
BHPian

I was recently touring the Theni, Kerala, Madurai belts and I spotted a lot of Tribers. Clearly it (anecdotally at least) is setting the semi urban and rural markets ablaze. Would be interesting to see sales numbers by region / state for this product. A solid and innovative product instead of The me too clones other OEM's try and dish out in a vain attempt to compete with MSIL and Hyundai and fail.

A more refined engine, better NVH, maybe even at 2l premium (call it Triber Luxe or whatever) would help it penetrate the urban markets in large numbers as well.

The tacho though is giving me all sorts of PTSD. Like how do you even figure out what the current RPM is? Looks like only a Shakuntala Devi will be able to decipher it quickly
Stribog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 07:13   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My takeaways from this well detailed TBHP official review :

1. huge wheelbase for a <4m car.
wheelbase:length = 2636:3990 (triber, extremely efficient scooping of passenger space) ; 2603:4596 (linea, extremely inefficient scooping of passenger space)

2. asking 1.0NA to pull 6(or7) people with luggage, is blasphemous in the world of IC engines. Engine will live a "im on a high all the time" life without relaxation. Renault even had the gall to add a "energy" badge on the tailgate.

3. finely executed wheelcups for steel wheels, which are made to look like alloys, may fool the innocent onlooker, but is deceitful/disrespectful to the owner - why not provide some of the nicer looking regular wheelcups and show some honesty ? This has gone from being clever to being cocky.

4. appreciate the restraint shown to not slap chrome all over the bodywork

5. interior quality is extremely inconsistent - looks like many teams were responsible for the interior, and some teams were over-budgetted while others were under-budgetted

6. Looks like they forgot about the wheeljack when designing the interior; and after finalizing their 3rd row of seats and their foldability mechanism etc, realized "oops! we forgot the wheeljack" and then decided to bolt it under middle row seatbase. That makes it hard to remove in the middle of the night on an unlit deserted highway - and makes it impossible to bolt it back in the same circumstances.

7. revv counter is a classic example of gimmicks blunting the prime purpose.

Overall, a perfect example of tailoring a product for a target market. We can see the effort renault put in, to enclose 6 adults within a 4m car. Will swing first time car buyers away from maruti for sure. If the later versions come with an added turbo or even with a 1.2NA, it will usurp a lions share of small car sales - "how to travel with my whole family at least cost" is very important to indians like us. People are bound to find out that A/C travel in train/bus for 6/7 people is not going to be cheaper than taking them all in the triber. A very good "indian" product by renault.

Last edited by venkyhere : 26th January 2020 at 07:21.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 11:44   #38
BHPian

IMO, they should have given 1.0 at lower trim levels and 1.2 at higher trim levels.

Not offering automatic at launch is certainly a missed opportunity to grab big sales number.
Old 26th January 2020, 12:13   #39
BHPian

Saw the Triber in real life and all I have to say about the build quality is that when you swing open the driver door with some force the metal area where the hing is attached to the car body flexes "Just like Kwid". While I maybe wrong and this phenomenon has nothing to do with the overall strength of the shell they could still put in some line depressions like they put on the roof for strength.
Old 26th January 2020, 17:25   #40

AMT version would be better as it can avoid the frequent gear shifts of the under powered engine for a seven seater
Old 26th January 2020, 23:44   #41
Team-BHP Support

Practical package with flexible cabin design in a compact form factor. Wonderful effort, and deserves all the attention and traction it's getting. I admire my neighbor's red Triber everyday I pass by it.

Not many will draw the comparison, but this car took up the spot Honda vacated with the Jazz when they killed that car's USP (cabin packaging) and overpriced it. Eat your heart out Honda, we love a great product for its merits, whoever makes it.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 00:23   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not many will draw the comparison, but this car took up the spot Honda vacated with the Jazz when they killed that car's USP (cabin packaging) and overpriced it. Eat your heart out Honda, we love a great product for its merits, whoever makes it.
My cousin who owns the first gen Jazz actually asked me about the Triber as that was the only logical option for him. His need was a sub4m petrol car with max interior space for 6. He can't stretch more than 4m and Jazz width as parking spot is very small.

I told him the Triber is good but the 3 cylinder 71BHP won't match your old Honda 4 banger.

I've asked him to wait for BS6 option hopefully they slap on a turbo or get something a little more suitable for a 7 seater.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 14:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Another Triber post accident video in the workshop, the video says that the car rolled over thrice. Seems like the base model with the Amber MID. Can't see any blood smears or anything suggesting death of the occupants. Hope they survived. Vehicle is Chhattisgarh registered.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 18:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The BS-VI Renault Triber has been launched in India, with prices starting at INR 4.99 lakh* for the entry-level RXE trim and extending up to INR 6.78 lakh* for the top-of-the-line RXZ trim.
Renault Triber - Prices (Old vs. New)

Variants New Pricing Old Pricing
RXE INR 4.99 lakh INR 4.95 lakh
RXL INR 5.74 lakh INR 5.59 lakh
RXT INR 6.24 lakh INR 6.09 lakh
RXZ INR 6.78 lakh INR 6.63 lakh
*Ex-showroom, Delhi

Link
Highh5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 20:22   #45
BHPian

I have done about 3k kms now in the car. The more I drive it, the less of an issue the tiny engine is.

I got my tyre exchanged under warranty from ceat. One tyre had a deep gash, which wasn't due to hitting any rough surface. I am glad ceat considered the request. I also took that opportunity to replace my spare tyre with a regular one. The top end version, at launch, offered the same 14 inch tyres as spare but it had different treads and came with the word 'stepnee' embossed on the tyre and a warning not to exceed 80 kmph.

The jack is placed below the second row seat and I gave up trying to place it back. I tried alot but perhaps am too thick to understand instructions.

Either that or Renault dint really think this through.

Anyway, I got the service center to place the Jack back under the seat. I felt really stupid asking them to do this but it was lying in the boot for more than a month and tossing around on speed breakers.
ak916 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks