Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2023, 09:13   #196
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso : Official Review

I have a 2021 Dec model Spresso VXI Manual and it has done only 1200kms. I am already having problem with hard suspension and also inefficient a/c cooling after 3rd free service. I complained to MSIL and they checked both suspension and ac cooling and said that everything is fine. I was not convinced and checked the ac cooling with a local ac mechanic and he told me that the cooling is slightly less especially when the car is used during the day time in the hot weather. Then there is an issue with a noise while releasing the clutch and thankfully this time MSIL checked and told me that there is an issue and they will rectify it whenever it is convenient for me. Also there is a lot of body roll if I cross 80kmph and it does not instill confidence in me to drive more fast in the highway. I did not expect Spresso to have so many problems and now regret buying this car. I wish now that I could have bought some other proven model which is in the market for quite some time. My advice is go for some other model except Spresso which in my opinion I feel is not a properly designed car.
Old 20th March 2023, 18:22   #197
BHPian

My experience with Spresso (March 2022) is different.So far it is behaving as expected . AC is still chiller. No clutch sound etc.,Little bumpy riding is expected due to its dynamics. Otherwise It is perfectly suitable for my requirements ( small foot print, acute turning radius, goes like auto in small streets, chilly ac, super audio, visible bonnet etc.,).
Yesterday I went for 3rd free service at 6500 odo reading ( after a year) which was the first major service and was asked about complaints but could not say anything.

This service included only engine oil and filter change. Initially I was told the bill would be around 4000/- for which I asked for details. Upon enquiry I found it was Mobil synthetic oil ( Rs 1250/- per litr and grade is 0w30 or something). As I knew the manual recommends 0w16, I enquired about that also. That is Ecstar( supplied by IOCL for MSIL) costs around 500/- per litre. When enquired why to this was not told first, the reply was nowadays everybody seems to asking for synthetic oil. I initially decided for synthetic but latter changed to normal due my limited use. Tyre rotation was supposed to have done at 5000 km (which happened at the second free service) but was not done. This time I specifically asked for it
and though it seems it was chargeable but done free for me. Reason might be after reporting at the reception at 9am I was not attended by even by 10 due to some carelessness ( I needed to remind about my car myself ). This never happened before in 2 previous services.
Promptly Car was ready by 4 pm with complete washing etc., Bill came to 1500/-. ( 3 litre of oil, filter, gasket, washer fluid). Ecstar oil was billed 400/-. Only one complaint I had ( clarification actually), but forgot to ask. In Suzuki smartstudio ( audio system) rear camera guidlines never shown on the screen even after enabling in the settings.

I did not go for Tiago or any other Tata cars ( liked Punch) due my lack of confidence in their reliability. ( past experiences). Could have gone for Nios if nobody in my circle already had one. Other than the safety aspect , Tiago has nothing to boost ( my opinion). AMT also is better in Maruti( though supplier is same). If the usage is limited to city drives with occasional highway then Spresso should be ok( if the dynamics is acceptable). Whenever I see people talking about Jimny , I console myself to that I already have a mini Jimny with only FWD and smaller engine.

Last edited by kvsneela : 20th March 2023 at 18:34.
kvsneela is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:39   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
There is one peculiar problem with the USB media playback on infotainment system. Though I have around 1500 mp3 files on the USB drive, the system reads only around 390 files.

Initially, I had all files on the top level folder. But, system was reading only 255 files. Then, I distributed files to sub folders. Then, system started reading and playing around 390 files.

Is there a limit on the number of files and folders that the infotainment system can read? Since the system is common for other Maruti vehicles also, I was surprised on why such a limitation.

On other brand cars, I could play all the songs, even if I keep all files on top level folder.

Appreciate your help to get this issues resolved.
From s-presso user manual (reference 5-39) copying verbatium:

Maximum number of files/folders
• Maximum number of files: 2500
• Maximum number of files in a folder: 255
• Maximum number of folders: 255 – Root folder and empty folder are included.
• Maximum depth of tree structure: 8

Last edited by antihero : 21st March 2023 at 17:56. Reason: Formatting
Old 21st March 2023, 20:00   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post

Should I continue with the S-Presso booking or spending around 2 lacs more on the Tiago NRG will be a good decision?
The current S-Presso with dual airbags and seatbelt pre-tensioners is rated 3 stars as per the old GNCAP rating, which also rated Tiago as 4 stars. If you like Tiago NRG better for your use case, you should definitely go for it. It all depends on whether you expect better reliability or better crash safety from your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboy View Post
I did not expect Spresso to have so many problems and now regret buying this car. I wish now that I could have bought some other proven model which is in the market for quite some time. My advice is go for some other model except Spresso which in my opinion I feel is not a properly designed car.
I have a nearly 3-year-old S-Presso and it has performed admirably so far. No issues except for the screen freezing issue while using android auto which still happens occasionally.
Reg your issues,
1. For hard suspension, try reducing the tire pressure to 28 PSI. It helps very much.
2. Even during peak Chennai summers the AC performed fine for me. Please take it to another service center to properly diagnose the issue.
3. Reg the clutch issue - mine is an AMT, and it has performed fine so far. I have just crossed 15 thousand KMs. Please try to get that noisy clutch rectified.
4. Reg the body roll - this is primarily a city car, but I have taken it on highways for 600km+ trips multiple times. I generally slow down before corners and let off the accelerator whenever the speedometer reaches 90 KMPH. The sweet spot for this car is 70 to 75 kmph, which also gives excellent mileage. You need to accept its shortcomings since this is a tall and narrow car and drive accordingly.
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:18   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
From s-presso user manual (reference 5-39) copying verbatium:

Maximum number of files/folders
• Maximum number of files: 2500
• Maximum number of files in a folder: 255
• Maximum number of folders: 255 – Root folder and empty folder are included.
• Maximum depth of tree structure: 8
Dear antihero,
I think Bijuks has VXI+ which has Suzuki smartstudio. In USB section of its manual says :
  • upto 32GB memory
  • Maximum 8 levels of folder structure
  • Don't use adapters
  • Maximum 10000 media files
That much only..

Spresso user manual contains information regarding normal audio system( non touch screen) available in VXi models( not in VXi+).
But the information may be applicable for smartstudio also as it does not play all the songs if the folder contains more than 300 or something. Better to create subdirectories. On the other hand Android Auto plays same list without any problems( using USB cable).
kvsneela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 10:16   #201
BHPian

1. For hard suspension, try reducing the tire pressure to 28 PSI. It helps very much.

Just want to know if you have been using the car with reduced tyre pressure 28psi. If so will it not damage the tyres and also be prone to punctures on our bad city roads in chennai?
Old 25th March 2023, 09:10   #202
BHPian

I have a nearly 3-year-old S-Presso and it has performed admirably so far. No issues except for the screen freezing issue while using android auto which still happens occasionally.
Reg your issues,
[/quote]
Just want to know if you have been using the car with reduced tyre pressure 28psi. If so will it not damage the tyres and also be prone to punctures on our bad city roads in chennai?
Old 26th March 2023, 08:53   #203
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2021 Dec model Spresso VXI Manual and it has done only 1200kms. I am already having problem with hard suspension and also inefficient a/c cooling after 3rd free service
Also there is a lot of body roll if I cross 80kmph and it does not instill confidence in me to drive more fast in the highway.
My advice is go for some other model except Spresso which in my opinion I feel is not a properly designed car.
Though I understand the pain and frustration of service incompetence , I am still quite surprised with this review.
I've driven VXI AGS for 30k plus km as a city car. Just finished 30k service. My family feels the AC is super cool even in summers. In city drives, we don't normally cross 80kmph speeds, but, it has done occasional long drives from Hyd to Pune, Goa, Shirdi etc and the passengers (all short in height) gave very good reviews.
I only face a shudder when the car climbs uphill, between 1 and 2 gear (mine is an automatic). But the Maruti service centre could not feel the same shudder, so, I'm living with it.
Overall, family loves the little mouse
I suggest you get the AC checked with an external temperature sensor, which is normally placed at the ac vent to know the refrigerant temperature. If the temperature is not up to the mark, the first step is to clean to AC filter. If that doesn't work, refrigerant refill may be needed.
Sincerely hope this helps
ColAjayDrives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 10:15   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAjayDrives View Post
Though I understand the pain and frustration of service incompetence , I am still quite surprised with this review.
I've driven VXI AGS for 30k plus km as a city car. Just finished 30k service. My family feels the AC is super cool even in summers. In city drives, we don't normally cross 80kmph speeds, but, it has done occasional long drives from Hyd to Pune, Goa, Shirdi etc and the passengers (all short in height) gave very good reviews.
I only face a shudder when the car climbs uphill, between 1 and 2 gear (mine is an automatic). But the Maruti service centre could not feel the same shudder, so, I'm living with it.
Overall, family loves the little mouse
I suggest you get the AC checked with an external temperature sensor, which is normally placed at the ac vent to know the refrigerant temperature. If the temperature is not up to the mark, the first step is to clean to AC filter. If that doesn't work, refrigerant refill may be needed.
Sincerely hope this helps
By AC filter u mean in cabin AC filter?. Spresso doesnot come with AC filter by default.. I have installed it ( Rs 150/- OEM) myself.
I have also used Spresso to Srisailam, Wayanad in Kerala(from Pondy) and never faced any problems including AC.

Car cooling effectiveness depends on outside temperature. We have to remember car AC will not give chillness similar to room AC. In case of room AC, we normally close all the doors ( to avoid cool air leaking) which is not possible in car as heat will come through glass areas of windshield, door windows etc( whatever sunfilm we use) which would be continuous for the entire journey under hot sun. So only way is to use the fan in highest mode( yes it may be noisy but there is not other way). I had used the fan in maximum position in peak summer of May /June last year and felt cooling was ok..
Old 26th March 2023, 13:19   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsneela View Post
By AC filter u mean in cabin AC filter?. Spresso doesnot come with AC filter by default.. I have installed it ( Rs 150/- OEM) myself.
Normally there is ony one AC filter in most cars. It is almost always accessed from inside the cabin and hence maybe called the cabin AC filter. In most cars it is located behind the glove box, while in some cases the filter is located behind the instrument console.

In some cars the AC filter is divided into two parts to cover two zones.

This is a learning for me that your Spresso did not come with a default AC filter. In my case (VXI AGS), it came with a factory fitted AC filter.

The filter is to be cleaned in each service and if it is clogged, it should be replaced. The only other part in the AC system that can be "cleaned" is the blower fan or the impeller (but I feel that is not a DIY), and the blower fan's cleanliness or otherwise does not greatly affect AC cooling.

Attaching a youtube link about Spresso AC filter for general knowledge.
Old 26th March 2023, 13:31   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAjayDrives View Post
Normally there is ony one AC filter in most cars. It is almost always accessed from inside the cabin and hence maybe called the cabin AC filter. In most cars it is located behind the glove box, while in some cases the filter is located behind the instrument console.

In some cars the AC filter is divided into two parts to cover two zones.

This is a learning for me that your Spresso did not come with a default AC filter. In my case (VXI AGS), it came with a factory fitted AC filter.

The filter is to be cleaned in each service and if it is clogged, it should be replaced. The only other part in the AC system that can be "cleaned" is the blower fan or the impeller (but I feel that is not a DIY), and the blower fan's cleanliness or otherwise does not greatly affect AC cooling.

Attaching a Youtube link about Spresso AC filter for general knowledge.https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=O74uWlzGjF0
Dear ColAjaydrives,

I don't know whether you understood what he says in the video.. ( it is in Malayalam). He says that AC filter was not originally present in his Spresso and he added it during his first service. Most of the low-end cars don't come with factory fitted AC filter. But provision is given to add latter. ( But Nano came with one but i10 and Alto did not ).

As per Wikipedia, when Spresso was introduced with K10C Dualjet engine in July 2022 , AC filter was also included. It means older models didnot come with AC filter. (Mine is March 2022 manufactured). Bijuks had taken the car in April 2022 ( means it is older model with K10B engine ) means his car would not have factory fitted AC filter ( unless he added it latter)..

I know it is ( as I have mentioned, added it myself by DIY)is behind the glovebox (with filter cover (clip) already present and only filter needed to be added). Yes.. the fan also can be cleaned as DIY as it is not a difficult job..

Last edited by kvsneela : 26th March 2023 at 14:01.
kvsneela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 21:57   #207
BHPian

I have booked S-presso and should be getting delivery shortly. This car is in Bangalore, and is an AGS (AMT) model.

I also have a S-presso manual transmission car in my home-town which I bought last year. Both are VXI+ variants.

The car's 'narrow' dimensions along with decent performance is a key reason for me buying a second S-presso.

My other car in Bangalore currently is a Toyota Camry. Am significantly biased towards S-presso for navigation comfort (on either crowded OR narrow streets) and parking in the city, while Camry is definitely much better for highways and longer/faster drives. In Bangalore, I also have a Suzuki Burgman 125 which I find even more comfortable (than even the S-presso) for day to day city commute (exception being when it rains).

I realize I have been adding accessories for updating external looks on my home-town car (which in my opinion has significant impact on S-presso's looks), consequently this time have bought quite some of the accessories upfront fitted onto the new car. This includes under chassis coating (hides the body color inside wheel wells), wheel cladding, body cladding on the sides, rear spoiler, rat-mesh, front chrome grill, door visor, etc. No accessories added done inside the car other than regular mats, can do over time.

Have a few questions on potential upgrades please.

1) For the inside rear view mirror in the car in my home-town, I have appended a larger mirror (I had bought that few years back from Ali Express when I still could use the site / buy from China), that is a 'convex' mirror as well as anti-reflection. Since accessing Ali Express is currently blocked, had recently bought one I expected to be similar from Amazon India - while the description indicated convex lens, what was delivered was flat glass mirror though with blue anti-reflective coating. I prefer the option (with convex mirror) for wider view as compared to replacing with Wagon-R/Celerio IRVM (part 84703M55R10-6GS) for reducing reflection. Please advise in case of any suggestions on alternates.

2) To add the missing rear right side reversing light (requiring drilling and additional wiring), any suggestions on where to have this done? Showroom has refused to do this.

3) Prefer to add rear view camera, though not very urgent. Showroom only sells the MGA camera which is not very good at night (when it is needed more), and also seems quite rudimentary. Any suggestions on choices here? Or is the Blaupunkt DH06 the optimal one to get? Would there be other / easy options to add 360 degree camera or the like?

4) Since I have added wheel claddings, I have been told I cannot add front mud-guard. Any suggestions if front mud-guard can still be added?

5) Would like to upgrade the audio on my Bangalore S-presso car as I believe I will end up spending quite some time in it in the coming days with increasing commute/time due to reduction in WFH and needing to work more from office. Hope I can use the same audio unit that comes stock with the car and upgrade speakers. My current understanding is:
- Speakers: The head unit (Suzuki Smartplay Studio) is made by Harman. Presume it has 4 speaker outs - 2 of which are connected to the 2 existing speakers, presume I can add 2 component speakers in front and move the existing 2 speakers from front to back. Showroom has refused to do - the accessories person said they could add 2 tweeters on the A-pillar at max. From some youtube videos I understand there is additional wiring provided / running till the B-pillars, which can be used/extended for connecting 2 other speakers into the rear doors (after suitable adjustments on doorpads).
- Subwoofer: I also presume it is possible to add an active subwoofer - maybe 'under the seat' or 'inside the spare wheel' type so as to not lose space. I believe the spare wheel for S-Presso is 13 inch sized one...the decent sub-woofers to be placed 'inside the spare wheel' that I know of are those that can be placed inside 14-inch wheels or bigger, not sure if there in are any good ones with option of placing inside 13 inch spare wheel.

Please advise if the head unit can be used in this way, or needs to be replaced?

Any suggestions on speakers, and where to have the work done in Bangalore?

I am nowhere near being an 'audiophile' though I appreciate nice audio. For context, one of my references is when I was travelling in the backseat of my friend's Toyota car in Manila, I could hear church bells ringing at a distance 'above' my head and I was looking out of the car all around trying to see where the church was and what was happening there, before realizing it was part of the music. Not sure if that was some kind of 'Atmos'/over-the-head effect (my friend did not think it was a big deal, and said it was stock car speakers), but to me was way superior to what I had been exposed to and would like to include if possible.
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 10:16   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfantasy View Post

Reg your issues,
Just want to know if you have been using the car with reduced tyre pressure 28psi. If so will it not damage the tyres and also be prone to punctures on our bad city roads especially in chennai?
Old 29th March 2023, 14:33   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Just want to know if you have been using the car with reduced tyre pressure 28psi. If so will it not damage the tyres and also be prone to punctures on our bad city roads especially in chennai?
Yes. For all city rides, I am using the car with pressure at 28 PSI only. 90% of these city rides are to my daughter's school with only me and my daughter. For highway rides, I increase the pressure to 32PSI and above. I also have a portable tyre inflator so I can customize the pressure for each trip depending on the occupancy and travel route. I haven't had any issues so far, touch wood.

Reg the tyre life I asked the same question in this forum sometime before, and the general consensus was that 28 PSI is not really low and it is fine to use within the city. Any increase in wear would be minimal. You can try with 28PSI for a week and then decide. You might also try upsizing to fatter tyres or upgrading to tyres with softer compounds. Mine is still stock.

Last edited by darkfantasy : 29th March 2023 at 14:36. Reason: Added few points.
darkfantasy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 11:49   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Joeboy,
As per the manual it is 32PSI all tyres in all conditions for Spresso and this is cold tyre pressure. But we fillup
normally only in hot condition ( even 20 minutes drive will increase the temperature)unless one has home inflator and use before driving. In hot condition the air will expand and increase the pressure. So in case of filling the tyre while driving ( when it is hot) , it should be 3/4 psi more than recommended. So it is ok to fill 35 psi in highway drivings as it will be 32psi when the car is kept idle at the night.
On the other hand 28psi in hot condition might be 25psi in cold really which is under inflation. The wearing process might not be visible immediately ( as it is slow process) but the tyre life might reduce.

Also the manual recommends to increase 5 psi ( page 6-20) in case of regular highway drivings. In case of change in pressure , it is better in the higher side than lower side. In my driving style , I drive in highways ( long distance) once in a month with no daily commuting city driving and I keep the pressure between 35/37 psi.
kvsneela is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks