Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 10:56   #31
BHPian

Re: 2020 Maruti Vitara Brezza Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Come on Maruti.Wake up please! You're still running a lap behind when your competition is on the verge of finishing the next lap. How long can you keep selling your old and outdated models by changing the front grille there and a new LED tail lamp here and so on and a 4 speed auto box is insane stuff.Being a petrol only model and with this literally 3 speed box in city, the fuel consumption would take a beating.
Every other manufacturer: "What are you doing?! Why are you educating them? Leave them! This is our opportunity to claw back market share!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The chrome grille. Accessory makers are going to have a really hard time making an accessory now - since MSIL is shipping the car with accessory fitments from factory!
Actually I think people will be ok. In Bangalore, there are some brezza owners who replace their OEM grille with a knock off of the Compass grille.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 11:30   #32
BHPian

I think the AT gearbox on the petrol Brezza is of the family of Aisin 4 speed gearboxes, from which the gearbox present on my 2007 Santro AT is derived(or copied!). I am sharing some thoughts and experiences of the AT box:-

The gearbox is super reliable. The Santro has a 1.1L engine that is basically tuned for low & mid range torque. And neither the engine nor the gearbox are meant for very spirited driving, A sedate driving style suited this combo best. I have done a lot of long road trips with 2 passengers and the dickey and rear seat full of luggage. 4 lane highway runs, winding rural roads, a lot of steep ghats and lots of patches of broken roads. From 2013 onwards it has predominantly been used in the city.

The gear shifts are not lightning fast, nor does it exactly shift up and down as you would hope it does. But over the years i have learned a trick or two.
You can modulate the gear shift points by signalling with the accelerator. For example if you are climbing a steep slope and you wish the gearbox was in a lower gear - just press the accelerator more and it then drops down a gear ratio. Similarly you have started pulling a bit too much on the same slope - just ease off the accelerator a bit and it upshifts.
The same logic works while driving on the highways. You can modulate upshifts and downshifts by playing with the accelerator.
How much you need to depress or liftoff the pedal is a matter of judgement and learning.

Engine braking is virtually non-existent in "D". One needs to physically move the lever to either "2" or "L" to get engine braking.

The oil in the gearbox is supposed to be good for 1,20,000 kms. But i would recommend changing it at 40,000 to 60,000 kms or a time of 4-6 years. And repeat the oil change after 3000 kms or 3 months.
sridhar-v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 11:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

When i was in market for a car 4 years ago, i would have bought this over Baleno since i needed a petrol car.But we are in 2020 and i have many better options now.

Sub-4m compact SUV's are bulky and almost offer same interior space and boot space as premium hatchbacks, if they come in petrol they are going to give less FE and may not be as involving to drive as well.

The biggest advantage i see is in ride quality and safety.Remains to be seen if people prefer Brezza over premium hatchbacks/ Sub-4m sedans now that they are coming in Petrol only models.

And Maruti come on, do you still think people like more chrome on cars? Please remove that hideous grille.

Brezza is neither premium nor basic, and with petrol it doesn't look an attractive option to me at least.
Maruti can actually think of a factory fitted CNG Brezza, this will be a novelty in this segment.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th March 2020 at 11:43. Reason: typo corrected
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 11:46   #34
BHPian

Surprising that the company who played the engine trump card with the new WagonR (1.2L), which was great, didn't go with any superior turbo engine for one of their best sellers. Don't see a cost advantage also with this 1.5L engine. It's still pricey.
Old 17th March 2020, 11:56   #35
BHPian

The facelift has ensured that older Brezza owners aren't sad that they have an old looking car. Maruti is lagging behind all their competitors in almost every aspect except sales. The increase in price isn't going to do it any favours either. I guess, the Venue sales will increase now since most people just do a Hyundai vs Maruti comparison while buying cars.

It seriously needs a redesign and the brilliant 1.5L DDIS engine .
Old 17th March 2020, 14:47   #36

Awesome review blackwasp and CrAzY dRiVeR but where is Small Yet Significant things post?
Old 17th March 2020, 15:52   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMAN View Post
Awesome review blackwasp and CrAzY dRiVeR but where is Small Yet Significant things post?
Since this is a facelift, only the changes have been covered in the review.

The official review of the original has covered all of the other points. You can read the significant things post here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3949375 (Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review)
Old 17th March 2020, 16:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Just a question regarding the L & 2 modes - can we shift from 'L to 2' or '2 to D' when the car is in motion? Or should the car be stopped to make these changes?

Just a random thought on overcoming the lack of manual override in this gearbox :
To keep it in 1st, select L
To keep it in 2nd, select 2
To keep it in 3rd, select D and press the O/D button
To keep it in 4th, leave it in D
This will only prevent upshifting though. But then all TC boxes downshift even if manual mode is selected, if the revs drop too much don't they?
You'll have to slow down and you can. L is only 1st for steep inclines. 2 only 1st and 2nd gears used, O/D off only 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears used and O/D on is all four gears can be engaged depending on your speed. The gear box may be old but will get the job done and would be reliable in the long run. Now with VW/Skoda shifting to TC it means only one thing: DSG is not ideal for Indian traffic conditions.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 17th March 2020 at 16:49.
Old 17th March 2020, 20:17   #39
BHPian

Excellent Review Blackwasp and Crazydriver, 5 star as always. I'm not somehow surprised as many of my fellow BHPians are on what Maruti has rolled out (I'm disappointed, yet again of course!!)

Maruti understands the Indian car buyer better than any other manufacturer, and believe you me, their market share is not an accident, how else can one explain how they were able to sell a bread box on wheels (Omni), a gawky looking Alto and a weird looking S-presso?? (No offence meant to any owners, I own a Gawky Alto K10 myself ). I remember a time when we could book a Maruti on Tatkal and they came without seat belts!! (Early 90's)
Maruti IMHO has the pulse of the typical Indian car buyer with a kitna deti hain syndrome, love for shiny chrome and peace of mind ownership experience, and not too many OEM's in India can stand up to that challenge - maybe Hyundai to some extent.
So as long as people throng the Maruti Showrooms and buy these over better built vehicles, we should expect nothing better, it is we as buyers who have to learn, rather than Maruti.

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th March 2020 at 06:47. Reason: Punctuation spacing.
Old 17th March 2020, 21:44   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Nice review.

Takeaways
- bang-upto-date dual projector LED headlamps
- lost the driveability offered by the ~200Nm+ torque of the erstwhile 1.3mjd
- steering, suspension etc are exactly average
- interiors, bootspace, gizmos etc are far behind the competition
- AT is 4-speed slushbox
- not at all fun to drive, whatever little fun that was had from the 1.3mjd, is gone
- pricing is not VFM, especially AT

Q&A
Q : so what is this car ?
A : looks, performance, tech, practicality, comfort - everything average. Its like the student who scores 60% in all subjects. As vanilla as vanilla can be
Q : whom exactly is this car for ?
A : for the guy who wants after-sales-service ubiquity pan-india, and who wants "some car or the other" to take him from pointA to pointB
Q : really ?
A : yes, really. It's like a bar of soap - it cleans. That's it. It's a car that can seat 4 - that's it.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 22:00   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
- lost the driveability offered by the ~200Nm+ torque of the erstwhile 1.3mjd
In city usage, a 1.5 NA petrol will offer at least similar or better driveability thanks to 0 turbo lag.
Quote:
- interiors, bootspace, gizmos etc are far behind the competition
The space isn't too far behind the competition. Passenger cabin space is quite good in the Brezza & while small on paper spec, the layout of the boot actually makes it quite good for real world usage.
Quote:
A : looks, performance, tech, practicality, comfort - everything average. Its like the student who scores 60% in all subjects. As vanilla as vanilla can be

A : for the guy who wants after-sales-service ubiquity pan-india, and who wants "some car or the other" to take him from pointA to pointB
Hmm. That just summarized why this car has been selling at the top of the charts & why it will continue to be. You are spot on there - and thats what MSIL knows precisely. This is where the bulk of the customer base is. That guy who consistently scores 60% - generally works hard & steady in the long run. For those with different tastes, importance to other things in the car, look/feel, finish - there are those other cars in the segments. What matters in the end to Maruti is the net number of cars rolling out of the showrooms!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Actually I think people will be ok. In Bangalore, there are some brezza owners who replace their OEM grille with a knock off of the Compass grille.
Same in Pune / Mumbai too! And IMO, that Compass rip-off grille actually is quite well finished. Doesn't look all that bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Maruti can actually think of a factory fitted CNG Brezza, this will be a novelty in this segment.
Who'll pay 10+L INR for a car with a boot same in size as a B+ hatchback & then wait 30 minutes to fill CNG at a station?

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th March 2020 at 22:01.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 22:46   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
In city usage, a 1.5 NA petrol will offer at least similar or better driveability thanks to 0 turbo lag.
Right. Driveability is certainly better with the NA petrol, no turbo lag and the power delivery is smooth and linear.

However, the mid-range punch is where the diesel scores, whereas the petrol is almost too linear and unexciting. And of course - the fuel efficiency.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 03:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

#2 choice in the segment after the Ecosport. Considering how Turbo petrols aren’t really maintenance free, I think big NA engines are the way to go.

Wonder how Maruti messed up the pricing- no way they can sell a compact SUV for the price of a mini-MPV like Ertiga. BTW @CrazyDriver- I still listen to CDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The ARAI-certified FE of the Vitara Brezza AT is 18.76 km/l, which is over a km/l higher than the 17.03 km/l of the MT. It's all down to the start-stop system without which, the FE figures are mediocre at best.
Talk about gaming the system.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 06:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
#2 choice in the segment after the Ecosport. Considering how Turbo petrols aren’t really maintenance free, ...
You are talking about all turbocharged engine (both diesel and petrol) or just petrol?
Old 18th March 2020, 08:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
You are talking about all turbocharged engine (both diesel and petrol) or just petrol?
Turbo petrols more so. Reasons why they aren’t perfected yet:
1. Turbo Petrols produce more heat
2. As compression ratios are lower than diesels, the turbine requires a high pressure to run. The high pressure affects long term reliability
3. Gasoline is volatile, hence it much more difficult to get the right A/F ratio. I’ve heard of turbo petrols going bonkers after 100k-150k miles, but large naturally aspirated motors working flawlessly for ages

Basically Turbocharged gasoline are engines are hard to perfect as you’re fighting the fundamental engineering principles- diesel fuel is not as volatile, they have higher compression ratios leading to greater exhaust gas pressure.

Manufacturers can perfect Turbo petrols if they put all their resources into it, but with EVs round the corner, I think turbo petrols are more or less dead.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed