Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 22:35   #76
BHPian

Re: 2020 Maruti Vitara Brezza Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sizzling Red and Cerulean Blue shades are available with a black roof dual-tone option. The third dual-tone option is the Granite Grey with an Autumn Orange roof...
Is the dual tone blue(Cerulean Blue) different from the single tone blue (Torque Blue)?
Old 7th April 2020, 22:49   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Is the dual tone blue(Cerulean Blue) different from the single tone blue (Torque Blue)?
Only Torque Blue is available with facelift, with or without Black roof depending on variants.

Cerulean blue is discontinued, was available in pre facelift models.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 22:23   #78
VMG
BHPian

Does the AT come with triptronic or paddle shift?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st May 2020 at 03:03. Reason: Grammar.
Old 11th April 2020, 22:40   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Does the AT come with triptronic or paddle shift?
No, it doesnt.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st May 2020 at 03:04. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 23:21   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallav167 View Post
I am not sure what's wrong with Seltos Automatic? They have three automatics and I guess you are referring to DCT? Let me clear the air, there is nothing wrong with Seltos DCT and if anyone have an iota of knowledge about dual clutch transmissions they must be well aware that DCT do heats up if left in wrong mode during heavy traffic. Same goes with Hyundai Venue DCT as well and Seltos is no different.

Here's whats wrong with the DCT

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...eltos-dct.html (Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT)

Second, what is mode in Seltos DCT Transmission? Or any DCT transmission? Pretty sure it doesnt come with a "Traffic mode" that people forget to shift into.

And as for the DCT not working in heavy traffic, then whats the point? Everyone prefers the Manual on the highway, and weren't Automatics made to make traffic more bearable?
turbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 14:48   #81
BHPian

Great Review of the Brezza Petrol.

Begining of 2020, we were on the lookout for a replacement for our 2015 Baleno (now done 75k)

We have a Astar AT(2013 done 70k) also which does duty as our city car. Plan was to sell both and buy a compact SUV with an auto transmission.

Brezza Petrol AT was our most awaited car, being a Maruti loyalist. But after seeing it in flesh and taking a TD of the car, wasn't able to convince myself for the same. The car had left me and my family truly disappointed. It feels at least a generation older than the competition. The K15 engine did not feel as rev happy or responsive in comarison to the k12 in my Baleno.
Interiors are not at all improved and remains a major sore point. The 'premium' pricing is not at all sensible either.

So dropped my plan immediately. Which was one of the best decisions I have made lately. Have to thank Maruti for making my decision easy.

With the current economic scenario having some reserve cash and being EMI free is more important than having a new car. Once things get better I am sure there would be a lot more choices for the customer. May be a nexon with 500+ kms real life range.
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 15:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Here's what's wrong with the DCT

Second, what is the mode in Seltos DCT Transmission? Or any DCT transmission? Pretty sure it doesn't come with a "Traffic mode" that people forget to shift into.

And as for the DCT not working in heavy traffic, then what's the point? Everyone prefers the Manual on the highway, and weren't Automatics made to make traffic more bearable?
While I appreciate the DCT concerns, I have been using a DCT for 7 years now. Touchwood, no issues on the VW. Let me try to answer the question of the wrong mode.

DCT, as you know, is a complex fast-shifting gearbox. In traffic, the shift rpm hover in zones where it upshifts/downshifts continuously. Hence, I use the manual mode during this period to keep the gearbox from overworking/shifting needlessly (or the sports mode, which enables a higher shift rpm. Every shift requires an oil pressure buildup and valve actuation to enable a shift. If this happens every second, the oil, due the rapid compressions overheats and can damage the systems around it.

Manual mode does not require me to hold clutches and thus making driving in traffic a breeze. And it downshifts automatically thereby I only have to worry about the upshifts which come with a tap of the gear lever.

Hope this helps.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 16:11   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
While I appreciate the DCT concerns, I have been using a DCT for 7 years now. Touchwood, no issues on the VW. Let me try to answer the question of the wrong mode.

DCT, as you know, is a complex fast-shifting gearbox. In traffic, the shift rpm hover in zones where it upshifts/downshifts continuously. Hence, I use the manual mode during this period to keep the gearbox from overworking/shifting needlessly (or the sports mode, which enables a higher shift rpm. Every shift requires an oil pressure buildup and valve actuation to enable a shift. If this happens every second, the oil, due the rapid compressions overheats and can damage the systems around it.

As a fellow VWAG owner, I am very familiar with the phrase "when things dont go wrong, nothing beats these cars, but when they do, they go catastrophically wrong" My dad's 1.2 Polo manual is closing in on 90K KMs.

Thanks for explaining the working of a VW DCT, but that has little to do here, as , from what I understand, the DCT used in both he Venue as well as the Seltos is a dry unit, so there's no oil buildup. And the oil works as both a lubricant as well as a coolant, which leaves them particularly prone to over-heating in traffic. Poor design, really.
Old 13th April 2020, 16:35   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for explaining the working of a VW DCT, but that has little to do here, as , from what I understand, the DCT used in both he Venue as well as the Seltos is a dry unit, so there's no oil buildup. And the oil works as both a lubricant as well as a coolant, which leaves them particularly prone to over-heating in traffic. Poor design, really.
The dry & wet refer to the clutch areas. A dry clutch wears faster than a wet clutch because of the heating. However, the mechatronic unit still functions with oil inside the shifting circuit. this is the oil i am referring to.

Quote:
Components of a mechatronic unit
The components of a mechatronic unit are:

Control unit
Valve body
Solenoids

The control units collect and analyse data about the current condition of the mechatronics and fluid via speed sensors, temperature sensors, and pressure sensors. From the gathered information, the control unit is able to optimise and equally execute the program for gear changing and at the same time, monitor for errors in the electronics and mechanics.

The solenoids are electrohydraulic valves, and they are the executive elements of the control unit in the mechatronic. Their main function is to manage the hydraulic valves in the valve body by allowing the transmission fluid to flow under specific pressure. The solenoids can work on a higher frequency, and this can help in faster gear changing.

The valve body is responsible for hydraulic control in the automatic transmission. Its role is to manage the fluid flow to the various section of the gearbox and the torque converter. The valve body consists of the following components:

Plates with fluid pad and valve seat
Gasket with gaps in specific places
Hydraulic valves
Springs
Plastic and metal balls
Manual valves (on the upper plate) – it determines whether the car is in parking, drive or neutral or reverse position.

https://carpart.com.au/blog/educatio...chatronic-unit
Old 14th April 2020, 22:40   #85
BANNED

Quote:

The ARAI-certified FE of the Vitara Brezza AT is 18.76 km/l, which is over a km/l higher than the 17.03 km/l of the MT. It's all down to the start-stop system without which, the FE figures are mediocre at best.

Hey Crazy_Driver. Brilliant review. I just had a doubt about this statement of yours.
Because according to this image posted in another thread by "MunnabhaiMBBS", the gear ration for the 4th in Automatic is substantially taller than even the 5th in Manual. So would you not say that the taller gear is what gets the extra kmpl, and thus the Automatic would be more comfortable on the highway as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Screenshots of Gear box ratios (Manual and Automatic) and Interior from Suzuki's Indonesian website.

Source : http://www.suzuki.co.id/automobile_type/new-ertiga

Perbandingan Gigi Akhir = Comparison of Tooth End
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Maruti Vitara Brezza Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-gearbox.jpg  

Last edited by turbo : 14th April 2020 at 22:41.
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 08:50   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great to see a petrol engine finally making its way to the Vitara Brezza. I loved its driveability..
Hey GTO, can you tell what would be your pick between brezza's petrol engine and EcoSport's dragon engine in MT avatar?

Both the reviews mention good driveability.

How about the mid end and top end of both engines?
Is brezza a superior choice because of lighter weight and 4 cylinders?
Old 1st May 2020, 02:23   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Hey GTO, can you tell what would be your pick between brezza's petrol engine and EcoSport's dragon engine in MT avatar?

Both the reviews mention good driveability.

How about the mid end and top end of both engines?

GTO has, at various places in this forum said that the 1.5 DragonFire was/is superior to even the EcoBoost, and is the best NA compact SUV petrol.

Maruti's 1.5 Petrol is decent, not exceptional (unlike their k12 engine). Their 1.5 Diesel though was really good. (check 1.5 diesel review)

In one is looking for a petrol manual SUV, and engine is the most important criteria, one has only two options, 1.5 Dragon or the 1.2 Turbo Petrol in the XUV300.

I'm sorry, but I don't really rate Venue's 1.0 Turbo Petrol very highly due to horrible low end torque, but try for yourself.
turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 07:57   #88
BHPian

Quote:
GTO has, at various places in this forum said that the 1.5 DragonFire was/is superior to even the EcoBoost, and is the best NA compact SUV petrol.
I think this was before Brezza came out with petrol option.
And if dragon engine is better than brezza's, then I would like to know in what aspects is it better?
Old 1st May 2020, 08:51   #89
BANNED

Official T-BHP review of the Brezza 1.5 Petrol

Quote:

While the power figure is higher than the outgoing car's 1.3L 89 BHP diesel engine, it is of no match to some of the modern petrol competition - like the Tata Nexon 1.2L's 118 BHP, the Ford EcoSport 1.5L's 121 BHP, the Hyundai Venue 1.0L's 118 BHP and the Mahindra XUV300 1.2L's 109 BHP! Customers will also have to forget that characteristic mid-range punch and excellent fuel efficiency of the old Vitara Brezza diesel. To its credit though, the competition is moving away from 4-cylinder petrol engines in this segment, and the Maruti probably has the best of the remaining few. Still, we can tell you upfront = if you are a driving enthusiast, the competition offers better options.

What GTO had to say in a thread between the Brezza 1.5 and S-cross 1.5

Quote:

3. If you want to buy one today, go for the EcoSport or the Seltos. You will need to stretch your budget for the latter, but since you hold your cars for so long, better to buy the best - related thread.

GTO in a thread titled XUV300 vs Competition

Quote:
Wow, customers are really spoilt for choice today, aren't they? My pick for the diesel would be the EcoSport. Fantastic engine, the best road manners, most fun to drive and the best built overall. Second choice would be the XUV300. Among the petrols, it would be a tie between the XUV300 & EcoSport 1.5L Dragon (not EcoBoost). Second place among the petrols would the Nexon.

I don't like the Vitara Brezza at all, while the WR-V's styling is too strange for my conservative tastes (ditto with Nexon, but it makes up in other areas).
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 09:29   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Crazy_Driver. Brilliant review. I just had a doubt about this statement of yours.
Because according to this image posted in another thread by "MunnabhaiMBBS", the gear ration for the 4th in Automatic is substantially taller than even the 5th in Manual. So would you not say that the taller gear is what gets the extra kmpl, and thus the Automatic would be more comfortable on the highway as well?
Sorry for missing your query earlier.

ARAI FE is not calculated based on highway speeds, but based on the emissions during based on a set driving course. Here is an old thread on the same - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ncy-tests.html (Article on how ARAI conducts its fuel-efficiency tests)

Secondly, the automatic certainly has a tall fourth gear - but is not comfortable because it can't hold on to that ratio! The moment you want to overtake, even if the speeds are above 100kmph, it shifts down to 3rd and screams to glory. The gearbox would have been manageable on the highway if they had provided an option to manually select the gears IMHO.

Quote:
Superior based on only driveability?

Personally speaking - I would prefer the Ecosport. It has good driveability for the city and is revv-happy on the highways, whereas the Brezza is not fun towards the top end. K15 doesn't impress in refinement as much as a K12 does and the difference with the 3 cylinder Dragon petrol is not clear as night and day! Comparing the AT, it certainly becomes a no brainer with the 6-speed torque converter and the paddle shifters.

And - Ecosport offers more for the price as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st May 2020 at 09:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks