Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 09:52   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

Altroz petrol turbocharger variant spied undisguised.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-screenshot_20200815095117.jpg

Source: Rushlane
toroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 13:19   #182
Senior - BHPian

Watch this Altroz review (obviously in Malayalam).

I think Tata's own visuals were not this much appealing.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 21:37   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Stanzin Mengur shares his problematic experiences with the gearbox of his new Altroz XT in Delhi.

The entire gearbox was eventually replaced by Berkeley Tata service center, Chandigarh.

Sincerely hope this is a one-off.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:04   #184
BHPian

Going through the Tata motor cars Twitter thread complaints and this one caught my eye.

https://twitter.com/trnshandilya/sta...435036673?s=19

I am starting to think that TATA motors quality control is a product of nepotism. Otherwise, there is no other reason (other than devil-may-care company culture) that I can think off that causes so many cars to have easily spotted QC issues.
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:31   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Going through the Tata motor cars Twitter thread complaints and this one caught my eye.
This chipped start-stop button appears on quite a few recent videos on YouTube University in Altroz, Harrier etc. Does this happen on other cars also or Tata is in an elite exclusive club by managing to get a simple plastic button wrong?

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd September 2020 at 14:37.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 09:55   #186
BANNED

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

I am looking to buy a hatchback and have shortlisted the petrol versions of i20 and the Altroz. I will be upgrading from a humble Alto 800 that has served me well for the past 7 years. One question which I have for the experts here. What does one mean by 'mediocre' when it comes to the petrol engine of the Altroz? Also, how less 'mediocre' is the 1.2L of the i20 that puts out about 10 horsepower lesser than the Altroz? There is a small difference in unladen weights of both cars so power to weight ratio is similar on paper. Personally, when I drove the two shortlisted cars, engine wise I could not feel any difference but again my test drive routes were limited to a few kms.

PS: Going through all the posts in this thread while doing my homework, I went to the Tata showroom with an expectation that the car would be highly sluggish and would struggle to get a move on. So for those who are in the same situation as mine, it's worth checking out the car in person before writing it off as 'mediocre' and 'underpowered'.

Note to Mods: Posted my query without realizing this thread is specific to Altroz Diesel. Please delete / move to appropriate thread.

Last edited by Kishen.padiyar : 8th September 2020 at 09:57. Reason: Added note to mods
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:21   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
IOne question which I have for the experts here. What does one mean by 'mediocre' when it comes to the petrol engine of the Altroz? Also, how less 'mediocre' is the 1.2L of the i20 that puts out about 10 horsepower lesser than the Altroz? There is a small difference in unladen weights of both cars so power to weight ratio is similar on paper. Personally, when I drove the two shortlisted cars, engine wise

PS: it's worth checking out the car in person before writing it off as 'mediocre' and 'underpowered'.
In between i20 and Altroz petrol, performance wise, I don't think there is much to choose. Its refinement where i20 knocks Altroz out. People criticize i20 petrol as well for being too average.

Engine in Altroz P is good. It will get the job done mostly without providing any excitement factor. It's just that people are disappointed since Tata launched a premium hatch(gold standard) in 2020 and gave it an engine which won't excite anyone. More so, when they had a ready made one in Nexon. However, as per latest news, seems Tata is bringing a turbo petrol engine for Altroz.

Hyundai didn't had any stronger engine in budget segment earlier which they are changing post BS6. New gen i20 will definitely have a TGDI option.

Congratulations for selecting Altroz. It's a wonderful, safe choice.
abhi_tjet is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:19   #188
BANNED

Quote:
PS: Going through all the posts in this thread while doing my homework, I went to the Tata showroom with an expectation that the car would be highly sluggish and would struggle to get a move on. So for those who are in the same situation as mine, it's worth checking out the car in person before writing it off as 'mediocre' and 'underpowered'.
Yes i20's petrol is equally mediocre/bad or equally good, saying this after using my brother-in-law's i20P for a good time. Only that there is too much stressing on Altroz's engine while i20 is left out.
Quote:
Note to Mods: Posted my query without realizing this thread is specific to Altroz Diesel. Please delete / move to appropriate thread.
Posting in Altroz Diesel's thread is not irrelevant as the thread's opening post itself mentions about petrol engine despite it being specific to diesel engine, so I don't think talking about petrol engine in diesel's thread is out of place in this case.

Last edited by wheelguy : 8th September 2020 at 19:23.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 10:29   #189
BHPian

Stumbled on the Video brochure for Altroz. I am getting to know why Tata sales are up, they are doing excellent connect with customers!

Sleek and Slick
Moto$apien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 15:18   #190
BHPian

Saw this pic in a FB Altroz group .
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz : Official Review-fb_img_1600058420597.jpg  

Sudarshan_N is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 00:42   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan_N View Post
Saw this pic in a FB Altroz group .
Posting for the first time.

Could this be the much awaited Turbo Petrol. Hope Tata brings a power-packed Diwali gift.

Seriously considering to replace our Vista TDI and test drove Altroz (P) and Tiago back to back with 4 adults onboard. Here is what I observed during the few kms. Altroz is NOT underpowered by any means, it is just not as responsive as one would expect while pressing the gas pedal. The response below 2000 rpm is non existent, it starts to pick-up only after that. Tiago definitely felt more responsive and I don't think a mere 50 kgs weight difference could make such a difference, I think it has more to do with the addition of balancer shaft, ECU mapping and larger rolling radius (taller tyre) instead, but, I could be wrong.

Otherwise Altroz felt more composed and stable than Tiago. It is a very capable highway cruiser in terms of stability. The suspension (16") is also very nice as half of the time I drove over gravel instead of a road and it never felt uncomfortable it just glides over them all. Rough patches are not going to be an issue but, engine noise could be.

Well, this was my personal experience and I am not an expert. Do test drive and experience for yourself.

Hoping to welcome a new member this Diwali!!!

Once again thank you Team-BHP. Extremely happy to become a part of this family.

Mod Note: Please restrict yourself to max 2 smilies per post

Last edited by ampere : 20th September 2020 at 06:21.
mega_wattt is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 18:51   #192
BHPian

I thought of visualizing the Altroz Dark edition and approached my friend to help me with that. The result came out to be satisfactory.

Ps :We took the base image from the Team BHP official review.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-img20200918wa0040.jpg

Posted this in our instagram Handle. I ll attach the link if anyone likes to checkout :
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFT5AtAH...=1n9nwk2ecirgk
albertprince is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:36   #193
BHPian

A friend of mine, who is a first time car buyer and is just learning to drive has shortlisted the Tiago XZ and the Altroz XE (Rhythm) since his budget is 6lakhs. He is confused between the two and was asking me for an opinion. Technically I would have preferred the Altroz because its 1 segment above. However, the Tiago being XZ would have all the features (except reverse parking camera and auto AC) whereas Altroz misses out on most of the features.
Would like to take an opinion of this community.
Old 24th September 2020, 15:40   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
A friend of mine, who is a first time car buyer and is just learning to drive has shortlisted the Tiago XZ and the Altroz XE (Rhythm) since his budget is 6lakhs. He is confused between the two and was asking me for an opinion.
Would like to take an opinion of this community.
Between a Tiago XZ and Altroz XE+Rhythm - the choice is simple. Tiago XZ. You get a lot more bang for the buck. The only thing lost is a bit of knee room in the back and some liters of boot space. For a first car - these two are absolutely fine. Go for the Tiago XZ.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2020 at 04:39. Reason: As requested
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:21   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
A friend of mine, who is a first time car buyer and is just learning to drive has shortlisted the Tiago XZ and the Altroz XE (Rhythm) since his budget is 6lakhs. He is confused between the two and was asking me for an opinion.
I would have gone for the XE rhythm and arrange for around 60k more for planned upgrades of Alloys, fog lights, steering mounted controls and thats it. Everything I have mentioned are now available as after market accessories. For that, you get a car with a bigger footprint, better road presence and space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Between a Tiago XZ and Altroz XE+Rhythm - the choice is simple. Tiago XZ. You get a lot more bang for the buck. The only thing lost is a bit of knee room in the back and some liters of boot space. For a first car - these two are absolutely fine. Go for the Tiago XZ.
The Tiago XZ is though the better choice since, it ticks everything you need with a Touchscreen infotainment, electrically adjustable ORVM'S and other factory fitted stuff. If you don't want to opt for aftermarket parts, the Tiago XZ is the better bang for buck. No doubt.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2020 at 04:43. Reason: Spacing, plus Quoted post edited.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed