Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 12:57   #211
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

I am seriously considering the Altroz P XT, as it has good amount of tech/features and within my budget limit.

But the only part that is bugging me is that I read a lot about the GC issues, I don't trust the on paper GC value. I was searching for the approach angle comparison with Honda city (not a segment to segment match), but I drove a friend's city and I had to be very careful on parched roads and pot holes.

I prefer Nexon XM but it is a stretch for my budget. I am comfortable at 8L OTR, can stretch to 8.5 at the max.

P.S - I need this as a family vehicle with generous boot space, that's why Tiago was out of my choice even though the engine performance on Altroz P was said not exciting.
Old 11th December 2020, 15:12   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
I am seriously considering the Altroz P XT, as it has good amount of tech/features and within my budget limit.

But the only part that is bugging me is that I read a lot about the GC issues, I don't trust the on paper GC value. I was searching for the approach angle comparison with Honda city (not a segment to segment match), but I drove a friend's city and I had to be very careful on parched roads and pot holes.

I prefer Nexon XM but it is a stretch for my budget. I am comfortable at 8L OTR, can stretch to 8.5 at the max.

P.S - I need this as a family vehicle with generous boot space, that's why Tiago was out of my choice even though the engine performance on Altroz P was said not exciting.
I think if you are willing to push it to 8-8.5 lakhs, you should consider XZ model. It's probably the best value for money variant.

Also they have launched XMS recently which I think is a good variant if you are not keen on features like rear ac vents/cruise control/auto sensing vipers..

As for Nexon, the high transmission tunnel was a let down for me. And I found the interior and dash in Altroz and Nexon to be similar in terms of quality and design(...yes they are not identical).

Also sharing a video i came across. I found the analysis and format of the videos very interactive.

I have finally booked the Altroz XZ myself.
Redline Shooter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 15:50   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The most important thing that the XM variant needs is the decent 16 inch wheels instead of that pathetic 14 inch ones.

Totally spoils the looks.
And what's with having alloy wheels only in the top spec XZ?

XT diesel retails at 9.5 lakhs on road. It should have come with alloy wheels.
+100 to the above.

Tata is royally ruining the 'gold standard' image that they are so trying hard to built, with the cheap looking smaller wheels and wheel covers on the lower specs of the Altroz.

The worst is the base variant which does not even get wheel caps. It totally spoils the look of the car, a major turn off for anyone considering the Altroz.

I seriously fail to understand the logic of most car manufacturers not providing decent looking wheel caps on base models. Instead of spending crores on silly advertisements and print ads, they ought to consider every version of their car running on the road as a potential advertisement for future customers.

They don't even have to wait for new clients to visit them in the showroom for the first contact, let them be influenced positively by the already sold cars running on the roads. By making their base versions ugly and cheap looking, they are losing the forest for the trees.

Tata should consider the cost of such exterior enhancements as marketing expenses since they can immensely influence decision making. Someone who will be looking at buying the top variant is gonna do that only and not downgrade himself to the base version, so Tata does not have to worry about leaving money on the table.

At least potential buyers will not be put off by the odd looking Altroz XE versions running on the road.

Also, Tata please offer vibrant color shades on the Altroz similar to the electric blue and lemon yellow shades of the Tiago as the car looks much more stunning in darker shades compared to the subdued grey, white and silver.

Last edited by trek : 11th December 2020 at 16:00.
trek is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 00:49   #214
BHPian

As if to make things further complicated, dealer refused to give wheel caps in XE saying they don't come. Even in their accessory kit, it is not there
Old 20th December 2020, 10:27   #215

Finally Tata has started addressing the bogged-down feel at the bottom end, especially in lower gears, with a new AL04 update to the ECU. Will take my car over to the SVC very soon and check this thing. Hopefully some of that "boaty" feel is eradicated.
MasterFoxD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 17:37   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFoxD View Post
Finally Tata has started addressing the bogged-down feel at the bottom end, especially in lower gears, with a new AL04 update to the ECU. Will take my car over to the SVC very soon and check this thing. Hopefully some of that "boaty" feel is eradicated.
Glad to hear that. Also get your spark plugs checked as well. It seems to be a real issue. Check out these videos.

Old 23rd December 2020, 23:17   #217
BHPian

Hello Forum, I got a significant dent and scratches on rear passenger door due to my fault only. I judged wrong and scraped through a pillar. However, I see it is mainly dent with some ugly scratches. Door and window glass is functional with lock/unlock and speakers are properly working.

Now authorised service centre is saying that entire door needs replacement and quoting about 18k and asking me to go for insurance claim (subsequent claims might be problem). I somehow feel does it really need entire door replacement? Would it be a bad idea to try FNG options (will it void warranty)? Or should I spend that 18k without insurance and get door replaced??

Your inputs will be helpful.
Old 23rd December 2020, 23:36   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Hello Forum, I got a significant dent and scratches on rear passenger door due to my fault only. I judged wrong and scraped through a pillar. However, I see it is mainly dent with some ugly scratches. Door and window glass is functional with lock/unlock and speakers are properly working.

Now authorised service centre is saying that entire door needs replacement and quoting about 18k and asking me to go for insurance claim (subsequent claims might be problem). I somehow feel does it really need entire door replacement? Would it be a bad idea to try FNG options (will it void warranty)? Or should I spend that 18k without insurance and get door replaced??

Your inputs will be helpful.
Pictures would have really helped the experts assess and give their opinion. However, this being a new car, I think it is better to go with a new door. We repaired the door of my friend's Punto, and that particular door never felt the same after that.The closing action and effort on that door always felt un-natural for the remaining 6 years he had that car with him.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 00:25   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Pictures would have really helped the experts assess and give their opinion. However, this being a new car, I think it is better to go with a new door. We repaired the door of my friend's Punto, and that particular door never felt the same after that.The closing action and effort on that door always felt un-natural for the remaining 6 years he had that car with him.
Thanks Aravind. One query is does this really need entire door replacement? I agree pics will help more so here are the pics.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-img_5219.jpg

Tata Altroz : Official Review-img_5221.jpg

Thats all the dent and scratches (I know its ugly ) :
Old 24th December 2020, 06:03   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aravind. One query is does this really need entire door replacement? I agree pics will help more so here are the pics.

Attachment 2096434

Attachment 2096435

Just get the dent pulled at a good FNG denter and painter, the scratches can be removed by rubbing polish.

Don't stress you could have more in future.
Vinod_nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:29   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Just get the dent pulled at a good FNG denter and painter, the scratches can be removed by rubbing polish.

Don't stress you could have more in future.
Thanks Vinod. I was also thinking the same. Given the kind of damage you see, will a job at FNG affect the car's warranty or service liability in anyway?
Quinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 12:15   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2096434

Attachment 2096435

This does not warrant a replacement. A good tinker can fix this easily. The door will need a repaint.

Pulling the dent out can crack the paint which will need to be reworked. Get the right paint formula and get it repainted.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 12:48   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oops. Thankfully the damage is fully reversible. So thats fine. Cars will always face such things in their lives & good to see you aren't too stressed out about it (like I used to be).

As for the repair - did the ASC explain WHY the door needed to be changed? did they open the interior panel & check if there was any internal damage? Or just looked at it from outside and summarily told to get the door replaced? The exterior damage looks really minimal. Given that you probably did this at parking speeds - I feel there is little chance that interior structure of the door frame got compromised. Insist on the ASC to fix the door dents & repaint it. Cover that under the insurance. The ASC seems to be trying for a larger margin replacement (usual things going on in covid times sadly) rather than a repair job.

The reason why I suggest ASC repair - in general Tata ASC body shops are very good & they also match the paint very well. The Altroz's gold signature shade is not exactly a commonly used paint and an FNG might botch-up the paint job. Even a tiny difference in the paint will be hard to ignore in an eye catching car.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 13:21   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Pulling the dent out can crack the paint which will need to be reworked. Get the right paint formula and get it repainted.
Thanks Krishna, I am checking with some known FNGs and will check with them about the paint. Not sure about the job quality as there are lot of mixed reports I heard about the paint jobs in general. Sadly if its some other dark colour, it would have been a bit ignorable but this gold shade is prone to amplify any discrepancies. Will do my best and rest is luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oops. Thankfully the damage is fully reversible. So thats fine. Cars will always face such things in their lives & good to see you aren't too stressed out about it (like I used to be).
Thanks Reinhard. Actually I am stressed and was feeling very bad about it. But then I thought it could have happened anywhere in any condition and why lose sleep over something thats not always in our control? Funny thing is in the same parking lot, I made complex reverse manoeuvres with ease and messed up a simple turn. Probably was too cautious about car being new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Or just looked at it from outside and summarily told to get the door replaced? The exterior damage looks really minimal.
Not even looked at outside. He just asked me to send pics and started with replacement. I have also seen in youtube users reporting the same for much smaller dents in new cars. I think its what as a standard they are doing and he was telling me that they need to apply putty and primer and that stuff which is nothing to do with structure. He insisted me to bring the insurance copy. All indicating to me that they will at the end try to replace. I am not very keen on going there now. But will check with other TASS my contacts might personally know and try to get repaired. I agree that this Gold shade will show up glaringly if improper job is done.

Hopefully there wont be rust catching in the meanwhile (as its December and reasonably cold weather).
Old 24th December 2020, 13:25   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Krishna, I am checking with some known FNGs and will check with them about the paint. Not sure about the job quality as there are lot of mixed reports I heard about the paint jobs in general. Sadly if its some other dark colour, it would have been a bit ignorable but this gold shade is prone to amplify any discrepancies. Will do my best and rest is luck!
If you go by the paint formula and a decent painter. You should not have any issues matching the color. PM me if you need help on this regard.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks