Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2020, 22:27   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

Excellent Review, deserves 5 Star.

My God, this car looks stunning. I am not a big fan of cars in White color, especially the Hatches (only Taxis can be in White). But this looks fantastic in White / Black.

Tata has now entered a different league altogether with its designs, earlier with Harrier and now this Stunner. I completely agree with your comment, this is a car which looks great in any color. Just a better petrol engine with AT (hope they don't spoil the car with an AMT) will attract more buyers.

But these short service intervals?! It's Pathetic to say the least.
Old 17th April 2020, 22:42   #62
BHPian

A friend of mine pointed out that Altroz would look good in blue. Unfortunately, Tata is not offering this shade to us. I did a quick render to check how it would turn out and indeed it looks good.
Tata Motors, if you are reading this, please consider blue as an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz : Official Review-altroz_blue.jpg  

Astitva is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 01:38   #63
BHPian

As always, a very nice and minutely detailed review covering almost all aspects of the car.
Saving the page for offline reading and enjoying it during leisure time is a treat for eyes, virtual feast for all the car lovers.

I feel, post launch, few initial gold colored pictures of Altroz were not so impressive, but this car does grow upon you, reading review of this white Altroz makes me realize gravity of thoughts and efforts put by TML in this wonderful car.

As per discussion below this thread, everything is in order except the engine capacity, what I think is, all car manufactures are lowering the engine size (lowering the manufacturing cost and increasing the profit margin, I'm not sure but BSVl compliance could be contributing factor too), be it, polo face lift 1 L TSI or latest Elantra 2020 1.5 L petrol. Apparently, not all but majority of Indian car buyers do yarn for lesser service and maintenance cost and the iconic 'kitna deti hai' factor to which car manufacturers are paying serious attention nowadays, also younger generation giving preference to bells and whistles (car features/electronic gizmos) rather than the engine capacity and performance. I'm pretty sure, much​ 1st time car buyers do not bother about the engine, but do regret later on during their ownership.

Last edited by gjnnbagal : 18th April 2020 at 01:40.
gjnnbagal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 06:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

I know Tata reads these threads so I'll say it here - Please put six airbags in this car!! It's probably got the engineering for it since they will sell this outside India too.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 08:22   #65
BHPian

An excellent and well detailed review as usual, rated 5 stars. Coming to the car, I wonder why Tata went with the 3 cylinder revotron from the tiago while nailing all the other aspects. The next generation i20 is just around the corner which looks to be well loaded and is expected with the 1 ltr gdi engine, thus solving one of it's weakest link. I felt the Altroz will lose it's first mover advantage due to this.
JD_404 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:34   #66
BHPian

A very well written review with all the details.

Thanks to the family who made this car available to TBHP for review.

I don't know what's wrong with Tata motors. Even a layman like me would like to compare my product with the peers in the group and give it power and features that would make it desirable for prospective buyers.

Anyone in this segment would definitely make that comparison. It's immaterial whether he puts it to use or not but that would be one of the negative factors for him to decide against buying the car. The loss is for Tata !!!
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:16   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astitva View Post
A friend of mine pointed out that Altroz would look good in blue. Unfortunately, Tata is not offering this shade to us. I did a quick render to check how it would turn out and indeed it looks good.
Tata Motors, if you are reading this, please consider blue as an option.
Yep, even I was flabbergasted that these guys didn't offer the car in blue. They already some great colors on the Nexon why not on their premium hatchback.

Even better would be the color for Altroz EV though I guess that one is reserved for it.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 12:54   #68
BHPian

Excellent review as always! Was impatiently waiting for this for some time. Wonderful photos.

Glad to know that the ride height is sufficient. By the way was it done with a full load? Normally how many people get into the review vehicles
at the same time?

Also I like the part where you fold the mirrors to the opposite side (biker friendly). I couldn’t find that here. Did I miss it? Or is it to consider Altroz mirrors don’t fold the other way?

That opening shot alone shows what a looker this beauty is . I was never a fan of white. Man this car is hot in White!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

RideRanger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 13:40   #69
VVN
BHPian

What an absolute beauty. Simply stunning. A perfect review for such a handsome car. Hats off Aditya.

If I was in the market for a new car, Altroz (Turbo charged) would probably feature in the top 3. Looks matter to me and this is by far one of the best looking cars on our roads today. Have a feeling that TATA is probably trying to discourage the sale of Diesels by pricing it at a premium. Should have introduced a CVT and turbo petrol right from the beginning. Hope the turbo petrol comes out soon. I really want to see TATA dominating the charts. They are one of the few OEMs who have been putting in serious and honest efforts in changing the mindset and attitude towards road safety.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 14:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That's a real real real nice looking car after so many days. In dull times like these, this review is a refreshing change. Tata has matured so much as a car manufacturer, and it shows that they have worked hard enough to get to this level. Given the feedback on the petrol engine, I think it will be worth the wait to get the BS6 diesel and the turbo petrol. Those should be real fun to drive. Some months ago, I sat in a Nexon diesel AMT and I was blown away by the quality of the car - both interior and exterior. Looking at the Nexon, and then the Altroz; I believe Tata has got some really good cars with them - on par with what others offer.

Thank you so much for the 5 * review - the reviews cover so many points in depth that you don't even feel like opening any other links or reading any other magazines.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 19:22   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Official Reviews. Thanks for sharing! Rating thread a fully-deserved 5 stars.
Beautiful review Guys!! Definitely 5 Stars.

Also the review is so aptly summarized by GTO. A beautiful, beautiful car marred by an equally ugly engine. Why TATA, why do you guys always mess it all up at the very end? This car had all that it takes to go head-on with the competition. So much so, that if it were to have a better Petrol engine it surely would have garnered close to 5K sales a month, if not more. And to make matters worse, the yet to be launched diesel-engine is commanding a premium of 2 lakhs!! Who would be willing to pay this kind of money for a hatchback?
Like I had mentioned in my posts earlier, I was seriously considering this car as my future purchase; but after having driven this, I was completely put down solely by the Petrol engine it has to offer. Also, akin to the review, the ride quality is nothing like the "TATA Standards", not sure why they chose to go with the firmer set-up.
Sadly, TATA has learnt nothing from its past mistakes with the Harrier. As they say, first impression is always the last impression; they messed the first impressions of the Harrier and paid a price for it. Surely they have improved the 2020 Harrier, but the competition has already caught up and has better deals to offer. So I wonder how well the Harrier will fair going forward. I assume the same case for the Altroz; though their working on the 'turbo' petrol motor and the rumoured DCT box; looks like it is still a good year away from being released in the market(considering TATA's lackluster approach and the current pandemic situation). And by then we will already be seeing the sales charts being topped by the next-gen i20(pretty sure no surprises there).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th April 2020 at 06:39. Reason: Typos
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 19:23   #72
BHPian

Lovely design. One thing I observe is that most media houses have negative comments about Tata's fit and finish. Is it really that bad compared to Maruti or Hyundai? I mean no production process is 100% perfect but why is Tata always the target ?

MOD NOTE - Please proof read your post before submitting it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th April 2020 at 21:27. Reason: Typos.
Old 18th April 2020, 19:54   #73
Senior - BHPian

Nice review of the car. Though Altroz looks great being a Tata car, the weak engine with poor refinement will be a deal-breaker. Tata is certainly moving towards making great looking cars, they just need to add a bit of spice in the engine departments/drivability/ride quality as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

"A huge shoutout to Deepam Kothari & his dad Uttam for lending us their spanking new Altroz! Very grateful for the generosity! Tata couldn’t provide us a car for reviewing."

Disclaimer: Tata invited Team-BHP for the Altroz test-drive. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.
Pardon, but I didn't get the above disclaimer. I guess Tata didn't provide Altroz for t-BHP's test drive, but a BHPian did? How they covered travel expenses for the driving event then? I just wanted to clear my doubts.

Last edited by bluevolt : 18th April 2020 at 19:58.
Old 18th April 2020, 20:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Yep, even I was flabbergasted that these guys didn't offer the car in blue. Even better would be the color for Altroz EV though I guess that one is reserved for it.
That's a pretty valid point, I had not thought about it from this perspective. Most likely, the Altroz EV is going to debut in blue!
Astitva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 21:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review of a Great Looking car at Right Time.

In this Lockdown period, time doesn't move as expected, hence this review came at right time.

I had a quick First Look of Tata Altroz back in January.

Being a loyal customer of Tata, I was attended immediately and everything was explained, hatsoff to that Executive, who had so much information about this car, he even managed to answer my questions, as things got interesting, a phone call made him disappear, didn't see him even when leaving the dealership.

Then a lady comes in and attends me, she too was equally very good. I continued to ask her questions, of which some where related to launch 1.2 Turbo Petrol + DCT to which she said, it's under development and will launch at end of this year, (already knew that) Till then, the Altroz will remain in manual only option.

After the conversation, had a detailed look at the car and 2 things came to my mind,

1. Segment of Altroz,
2. Same Brand, Bigger and Upgradable option of my current car.

So, I am taking about 1.(i20), and 2. (Tiago), those are the 2 cars I drive and it made comparison easier.

If we take into consideration the i20, the Altroz simply impressed me much more than i20. Be it the design, highlights all around, alloy wheels, tail lights, stance, interior design, seats, storage spaces, etc. It simply felt superior to my i20, also it's a large car, it looked longer and wider than the Nexon standing beside it. Some things which I disliked were lack of Auto Dimming IRVM, instrument cluster. Digital part is good, but font used for analog speedo isn't good at all, looks very cheap.

Rear Space surprised me because the car at Auto Expo didn't feel that spacious, but here when I sat 1st time, it immediately felt much better. Although Jazz & Baleno/Glanza are way ahead. In comparison, my i20 feels cramped.

Boot space is big, but it isn't as well shaped as Jazz and also the loading lip is bit high.

Test drive cars were not available at that time, since the car wasn't launched yet. But, even if I drive one it would be the Diesel.

I haven't liked Petrol Engines (NA) of Tata since Indica days, I have driven Nexon Turbo Petrol which is much better, but there too I liked Diesel more. Just like Tiago, if in future I upgrade to Altroz, it will be Diesel despite my running not more than 10k/year.

Post the Lockdown lift, there is buzz that car sales will pick up, I hope every manufacturer gets benefit from this. Tata needs to bring that DCT option quickly, because Honda is updating Jazz while Hyundai is launching All New i20 in August. Again when i20 launches, it'll again make life difficult for Tata, hence better Tata speed up the launch. At least a more powerful Turbo Petrol could save them if the i20 is improved thoroughly. My 6th sense says that i20 will be a hit and will leave Altroz way behind.

Here are some snaps of the GOLD STANDARD. As rightly pointed out, a rare car that looks terrific in all colors.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-img_20200117_142735.jpg

Tata Altroz : Official Review-img_20200117_142749.jpg

Tata Altroz : Official Review-img_20200117_142811.jpg

Tata Altroz : Official Review-img_20200117_142822.jpg

Tata Altroz : Official Review-img_20200117_143424.jpg

That's it, Cheers.

Stay Home, Stay Safe.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 18th April 2020 at 21:32.
CarguyNish is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks