Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 22:13   #286

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Ah, thanks. So even over 3 hours the angle of the backrest did not cause issues? That was the main worry - the thigh support is fixable with cushions etc. This is really the only question - else it seems like a really sorted car.
The back rest was actually my better half concern while she looked at the angle of the rear seat but she hadn't complain about it till now. Infact when she is in back seat she is always accompanied by my 18 months son but she is all smiles .She had actually pointed this issue out specifically last time that she was mistaken about the look of it. Though a point to be noted here is she is about 5'1 only.
Vij81119 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 09:51   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vij81119 View Post
Though a point to be noted here is she is about 5'1 only.
Thanks for that qualifier. Another tbhpian messaged about the rear not getting a thumbs up from his wife and mom, and for slightly taller folks, this is a deal breaker over long trips. I have to now think if this is primarily for the 2 of us on long trips as the kids head to college, or will we actually be 4 in a car often. Or just pick up a used Nexon and be done
Old 17th April 2021, 10:39   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Thanks for that qualifier. Another tbhpian messaged about the rear not getting a thumbs up from his wife and mom, and for slightly taller folks, this is a deal breaker over long trips. I have to now think if this is primarily for the 2 of us on long trips as the kids head to college, or will we actually be 4 in a car often. Or just pick up a used Nexon and be done
I guess Tata motors will be happy hearing this message from a senior Bhpian. If they couldn't hold on with altroz in your case, they will seal it with Nexon.
But on a lighter note, I always prefer 2 on a long road trip for obvious reasons
Hope to hear your new acquisition soon
Old 17th April 2021, 10:57   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess Tata motors will be happy hearing this message from a senior Bhpian. If they couldn't hold on with altroz in your case, they will seal it with Nexon.
But on a lighter note, I always prefer 2 on a long road trip for obvious reasons
Hope to hear your new acquisition soon
Haha I have a (used) Aria which is doing great, and this is to replace the 20+ year old City which is up for an FC. So Tata might not really get my money But yeah, the efficiency, driving dynamics and safety make these pretty solid options. Also, the repairability and costs post a lakh kms.
Old 30th April 2021, 21:46   #290

Got the new ECU update done by lexus motors.
The visible changes were the new infotainment interface.

Well this is the second update i got from tata motors. The first one was ALT 05 update (JAN 21) that I got 4 months back was definite improvement from ALT 04 which i have already posted earlier.

The improvement which i got from second update (APRIL 21) are

1. The smoothness of the engine and ride went few notches up. The engine definitely feel smooth and refined than what it was earlier. What even amazes me more is i have a tigor 2017 with same N/A engine, and the refinement is clearly palpable when someone drives these two engines alternately.

2. The marked improvement is in 2nd gear. This gear now pulls cleanly even in the range of 5-10km/hr with lesser throttle input than earlier. This just takes the stress away from the clutch when in 2nd gear and gives you more confidence in bumper to bumper traffic.

3. Consecutively the 3rd and 4th gear is marginally revamped 3rd gear goes down to 20kmph and 4th to 25kmph easily. The rev range for 3rd and 4th gear is more healthy than earlier ECU. In slow traffic i at times do get quite amazed when I dont have to downshift from 4th gear even at slower speeds which wasn't the case earlier. The 5th gear is dull overall as compared to other gear range.

4. The engine overall is much much livelier and fun to drive. The marked change that I have noticed in this kolkata's summer heat is that even with AC on, the overtaking maneuvers is smooth which wasn't a few days back. I really needed to put the throttle hard to make overtaking possible earlier.

5. I even found the sound of the infotainment system more soothing and powerful but i guess that is more of my euphoria than in reality..

6. The million dollar mileage question will take some more kilometer from my side to come to a conclusion. But the initial impression is a marked improvement from previous values. Will try and post a mileage post with values in my later reviews.
Vij81119 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:28   #291

Quote:

Well this is the second update i got from tata motors. The first one was ALT 05 update (JAN 21) that I got 4 months back was definite improvement from ALT 04 which i have already posted earlier.
Good to know Tata is still working on it. BTW, do you happen to have a copy of the job-sheet or bill, that mentions you got this AL05 update? Last time I got something like it for the AL04 update. This helps in convincing the SVC guys. And what is your current infotainment SW version? I've one from Dec2020 that I flashed myself.
MasterFoxD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:31   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know that TATA is able to improve engine behavior drastically with a software update. AL05 update is not yet popular in FB groups. Probably you are in the initial lot to get it

Mine is due for service this month. Hope that they will update mine and eager to see the changes.

One question - Did you notice more power in Eco mode? At present, I find it very difficult to overtake with quick acceleration in Eco mode.

Last edited by pradeep_mvpa : 3rd May 2021 at 20:32. Reason: typo
pradeep_mvpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 21:39   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFoxD View Post
Good to know Tata is still working on it. BTW, do you happen to have a copy of the job-sheet or bill, that mentions you got this AL05 update? Last time I got something like it for the AL04 update. This helps in convincing the SVC guys. And what is your current infotainment SW version? I've one from Dec2020 that I flashed
Tata Altroz : Official Review-20210503_144316.jpg
I got a call from tata motors informing me about an update and asked me for my convenient time so that the car can be taken to lexus motors. When I insisted for TC motors (as it is near to my home), they politely insisted it is selected few and the pick and drop will be arranged for lexus workshop. I agreed and then I got a call form customer manager, lexus motors, to whom i enquired about the update. I told them about my previous update in January but they informed me that this one is the latest update released few weeks back and its a campaign allotment for the update for selected one only. I was little hesitant before yielding for the update and now i am more than happy.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-20210503_213022.jpg
This is the update I got in January from TC MOTORS, mentioned as ALT04.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep_mvpa View Post
Glad to know that TATA is able to improve engine behavior drastically with a software update. AL05 update is not yet popular in FB groups. Probably you are in the initial lot to get it

Mine is due for service this month. Hope that they will update mine and eager to see the changes.

One question - Did you notice more power in Eco mode? At present, I find it very difficult to overtake with quick acceleration in Eco mode.
I actually don't drive much in ECO mode. The last I drove after the ALT 04 update and it was pretty much dull not conducive for overtaking, the same feeling i get from ECO mode of my Tigor 2017. I haven't tried ECO mode after this latest update. But i guess ECO isn't made for overtaking or quick accelerating.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd May 2021 at 22:25. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Vij81119 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 22:56   #294
BHPian

Quote:
What even amazes me more is i have a tigor 2017 with same N/A engine, and the refinement is clearly palpable when someone drives these two engines alternately.
Sorry for going OT.
This update can not be done for the tigor? I think the 1.2 Revotron in both the altroz and the tigor have balancer shaft. So, this should be doable, right?
Old 3rd May 2021, 22:58   #295
BHPian

With one of the highest per capita ownership of cars in India it's a huge achievement for TATA to beat the market leaders in Kerala.
https://www.autopunditz.com/post/tat...etailed-report
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz : Official Review-screenshot_202105032250572.png  

damodar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 23:05   #296
Senior - BHPian

While all of this is heartening to see, the horror stories as posted in the Altroz Diesel thread where the service center is lax even when it comes to catastrophic engine issues and the way they care 2 hoots about customer money and fit the panels back in the shoddiest of ways possible, makes me wonder if its a hit or miss and luck of the draw with Tata cars. I have been trying hard to get a test drive of the Diesel prior to lockdown, but the sales folks care a damn and have not bothered to call back to schedule a drive. So it seems like the people are going and buying the car themselves with little to no effort by the Sales team. Given this kind of attitude I certainly would think 3 times over before investing my hard money on a Tata vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
With one of the highest per capita ownership of cars in India it's a huge achievement for TATA to beat the market leaders in Kerala.
https://www.autopunditz.com/post/tat...etailed-report
Old 3rd May 2021, 23:19   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I have been trying hard to get a test drive of the Diesel prior to lockdown, but the sales folks care a damn and have not bothered to call back to schedule a drive
This is a recurring problem across Tata dealerships - high time Tata decides to operate a few flagship Coco ( company owned company operated ) dealerships in key cities , a la MG , to rid the brand of this unwelcome reputation.

Will also have a positive ruboff on existing dealerships who will be forced to improve their customer experience.
Old 4th May 2021, 00:56   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
This is a recurring problem across Tata dealerships - high time Tata decides to operate a few flagship Coco ( company owned company operated ) dealerships in key cities , a la MG , to rid the brand of this unwelcome reputation.

Will also have a positive ruboff on existing dealerships who will be forced to improve their customer experience.
"positive ruboff on existing dealerships who will be forced to improve their customer experience." . Oh my sweet summer child.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ting-down.html (Concorde Motors (Tata dealer group) is in big trouble. EDIT: Shutting down)
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 12:12   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Sorry for going OT.
This update can not be done for the tigor? I think the 1.2 Revotron in both the altroz and the tigor have balancer shaft. So, this should be doable, right?

I guess the ECUs of Altroz and Tigor to be different. Though i asked my service manager when I took my altroz for second service( after ECU updating) if there is any ECU update for tigor and he said no.
Vij81119 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 12:56   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this software update applicable to all ALTROZ's, that is, normally aspirated as well as the turbocharged one's or only to a specific model line ?

Most Viewed