Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 22:07   #211
BHPian

Re: Kia Carnival : Official Review

I checked in some markets the new and old Carnival co exist and there is a price gap of 25%
Old 16th March 2023, 09:31   #212
BHPian

Hey Bangalore based Carnival owners, have a few questions:

1. Do you use Carnival as your daily drive? How comfortable or difficult is it to wade through the regular Bangalore traffic. How easy or hard it is to park in your apartment car park?

2. I know this is a stupid question, but what is the average you get in city. From the threads here, I feel you would be getting anywhere from 6KMPL to 10KMPL depending on the conditions.

3. I am thinking of exploring the preowned route, either the Limousine or Premium variants. Do you think this is a wise idea? My thought is if I get a low well maintained clean car, I feel it could be a good bet to keep for 10 years.

I can also consider the middle variant of the Innova Hycross for the cost, but Toyota reserving most of the safety features for the top variant, makes me think.
Old 2nd April 2023, 17:57   #213
Senior - BHPian

My Kia Carnival is now about 20 months old and has covered about 34.5k kms. I have had some great moments with the car and at the same time a lingering issue has put a dampener on my ownership experience.

In my opinion the killer attribute of this car is space combined with a fast engine and a well tuned auto transmission. If you need a car for highways and travel with family, look no further. This is the exact use case that I have for our Kia Carnival. From my mother, to my wife, to my two daughters, each one is a big fan of the car. The space on offer in all three rows and the interior ambience (much superior to the Toyotas) just elevates your road travel experience to a different level. It is now very hard for us to imagine doing a road journey in another car or perhaps even by any other means.

As a driver, I love the fast 200 bhp engine. It is also mated quite nicely to a competent 8 speed auto transmission. Overtaking or launching the car ahead at any given point of time is a non issue. The engine has proven to be quite frugal too. The average fuel consumption in my 20 month ownership period and over 34k kms is 12.75 kmpl - which is outstanding for a car of this size. Do bear in mind though, that this is for a use case where 90% of the driving is highway based. At the same time, a healthy percentage of these kilometres have been covered on hilly/mountainous roads.

Having said the above, I'm usually the driver, but whenever I switch places with my wife and sit in the middle row, I can't help but wonder how bad the suspension is. Whenever the car goes over a bump at some speed (happens frequently when my wife's driving), it feels like the Carnival doesn't have any shocks/struts. Back end is definitely tuned for a full load and gets a big thumbs down from me.

Apart from the bad suspension, I am also facing a strange issue ever since I bought the car. Early in the ownership (was <1000 kms then), I noticed that the outer 'line' that is part of the tread design of tyres was missing from the rear tyres compared to the front tyres. The dealership assured me there was nothing wrong and its just a case of misalignment. Since then, in a span of less than 30k kms I have had to change both the rear tyres twice - most recently at 29k kms. Once around 24k kms, while returning from Delhi it got dangerous, when one of the tyres lost its tread completely. The issue is still not resolved. The new tyres that I got at 29k kms have again lost that 'outside line'. Kia is in cognizance of the issue and is working with the dealership to resolve it. But overall, I will rate the support provided so far as poor. Interestingly, I have spotted the missing line in many Carnivals, but have found no mention of it anywhere.

Adding an assortment of pictures of the car:

Kia Carnival : Official Review-hill-roads.jpeg
I am a fan of vans, and I think the Carnival is handsome looking from the front

Kia Carnival : Official Review-rear-seat.jpeg
The seat look inviting but mind the not so good ride!

Kia Carnival : Official Review-hills.jpeg
So what if its a minivan, it hasn't stopped me from taking it off the road

Kia Carnival : Official Review-sonmarg.jpeg
Resting at Sonmarg soon after visiting the tamed ZojiLa

Kia Carnival : Official Review-cycles.jpeg
Name another car that can carry two full size bikes inside while seating five passengers

Kia Carnival : Official Review-overall-mileage.jpg
The outstanding mileage over the 20 month ownership period!

Kia Carnival : Official Review-mileage-last-5-.jpg
In the most recent tank fill yesterday I noted a fuel mileage of 14.5kmpl. It involved a trip to Delhi but also included atleast 60-70 kms of driving inside Delhi with very dense traffic.

Kia Carnival : Official Review-missing-outer-line.jpeg
The Achilles' heel - literally - the missing outer tread line in what is a new tyre hardly run 5k kms

Kia Carnival : Official Review-worn-tyre.jpeg
The instance where I lost all tread in the rear tyre while on the highway at night

Net-Net, I feel its a good to a very good car, but could have been a great one!

Last edited by rrsteer : 2nd April 2023 at 18:05.
rrsteer is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 18:48   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Apart from the bad suspension, I am also facing a strange issue ever since I bought the car. Early in the ownership (was <1000 kms then), I noticed that the outer 'line' that is part of the tread design of tyres was missing from the rear tyres compared to the front tyres. The dealership assured me there was nothing wrong and its just a case of misalignment.
The alignment of the rear axle is off, causing this wear. Carnival needs proper 4 wheel alignment, not the regular front only alignment that is enough for most mass market car. Have the alignment fixed at any reputed tire shop in your neighbourhood. The problem will be resolved, and you will observe improvement in both performance as well as fuel efficiency.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 19:13   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The alignment of the rear axle is off, causing this wear. Carnival needs proper 4 wheel alignment, not the regular front only alignment that is enough for most mass market car. Have the alignment fixed at any reputed tire shop in your neighbourhood. The problem will be resolved, and you will observe improvement in both performance as well as fuel efficiency.
Yes it has rear independent suspension and the rear alignment has been done multiple times, but the problem persists.
rrsteer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 21:17   #216
BHPian

Great review. That fuel consumption is great to hear. Especially when you have used it the way it needs to be.

For the tire issue, are you able to make the rear suspension stiffer? Somehow I feel that would fix the problem.
TorqMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 17:27   #217
bkc
BHPian

We had the same tyre issue, in our circle also. Seems like something is wrong with the suspension setup.

Kia dealership says, tyre alignment is not done on time but, misalignment will not happen on both tyres at a similar fashion.
Will post again, after few thousand kms.
bkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 17:44   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it has rear independent suspension and the rear alignment has been done multiple times, but the problem persists.
This is definitely an alignment issue. Badly adjusted Toe and Camber are making the outer edge have too much relative slip.

Alignment by the dealership's SC or by an independent expert tyre dealership + alignment center?

The former tends to be incompetent 9 times out of 10. I have had stellar results with the latter.

You could even try a reputed old fashioned non computerized wheel alignment place, if you can find one in your city, as discussed in this thread (luxury cars show up at the place discussed here):

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5471941 (Manual Wheel Aligner Vs 3D/Computerized/Laser Wheel Alignment)
ashivas89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 19:22   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
For the tire issue, are you able to make the rear suspension stiffer? Somehow I feel that would fix the problem.
I am not sure if that can be done. But even if possible, I would prefer not doing that so as to not take any chances with the warranty. At present I am in talks with Kia to 1) find a solution to this problem 2) reimburse me for the money spent on new tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
We had the same tyre issue, in our circle also. Seems like something is wrong with the suspension setup.

Kia dealership says, tyre alignment is not done on time but, misalignment will not happen on both tyres at a similar fashion.
Will post again, after few thousand kms.
Most definitely Carnival has an issue with its suspension. Almost all owners/drivers I have spoken to report problems with tyre alignment or high tyre wear. I feel this has not been reported widely - firstly because the car sells in such small numbers and secondly 90% of the cars are not owner driven.

Below youtube video is the only one I have found in my research on this issue (its in Punjabi though):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
This is definitely an alignment issue. Badly adjusted Toe and Camber are making the outer edge have too much relative slip.

You could even try a reputed old fashioned non computerized wheel alignment place, if you can find one in your city, as discussed in this thread (luxury cars show up at the place discussed here):

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5471941 (Manual Wheel Aligner Vs 3D/Computerized/Laser Wheel Alignment)
Thank you for the suggestion! For now though, I am sticking with the dealership so as to not take any chances with warranty. The company [after many e-mails] is finally liaising with the dealership. I recently got a fresh alignment done at the dealership based on some new recommendations from Kia engineers [this was on 25th March]. I am supposed to get the alignment re-checked after driving another 1.5k -2k kms. As a result, will be taking the car for inspection next week and will report the results here.

Meanwhile the dealership on my request provides a print out of the wheel alignment parameters - each time its done. (I have some 10-12 such print outs). While I don't have the print out for the most recent one -attaching the readings of the one done previous to that in February. (Note the pen markings are mine)
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carnival : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230410-18.52.23.jpeg  

rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 17:11   #220
BHPian

Quote:
The Achilles' heel - literally - the missing outer tread line in what is a new tyre hardly run 5k kms
Thank you for posting this!

I believe the same issue is present in other cars from Kia's staple as well. I casually checked the tyres of my 13K Km run Carens after reading through your post (I know, I am comparing apples to oranges here comparing a Carens to the Carnival) and this is exactly how my rear left tyre looks like. The outer tread line is completely worn off while the inner one is still visible. For the right rear tyre, both the tread lines are visible. Both the outer and inner tread are worn off for the front tyres. While I am okay with the front tyres, the rear ones concern me. Will keep an eye on this issue.
furyrider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 15:41   #221
BHPian

is the carnival still available? and any discounts if someone bought one recently?
KI07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 16:44   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI07 View Post
is the carnival still available? and any discounts if someone bought one recently?
According to Kia website, Carnival is still available. But no discounts in my view. I believe they may offer some when the new Carnival KA04 is ready for launch and pricing. I am also on the lookout, provided there is good discount available on the outgoing model.
Old 12th April 2023, 18:13   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
Thank you for posting this!

Both the outer and inner tread are worn off for the front tyres. While I am okay with the front tyres, the rear ones concern me. Will keep an eye on this issue.
Actually even your front tyres are a cause for concern, please get the alignment checked at the dealership asap. The issue with the Carnival has made me a frequent visitor of the Kia dealership. So far, I was just checking out the Carnivals, I will now expand my observation to include all Kia cars

Funny thing with my car is that the front tyres look like new (all tread lines intact) while the rear ones have a worn look. It is especially surprising to me since its a fwd.

[OFF TOPIC] There are many attributes of the Carnival which no other car replicates in the market. So, given I own one, its difficult for me to look away from the car especially since its not even 2 years old. But I have checked out the Hycross. If I was deciding between the two today - I will buy the Hycross. And indeed, one of the factors weighing my decision would be that the Hycross is manufactured by Toyota. Its just ridiculous that Kia / its dealer is not able to rectify an issue for the last 19 months or so.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 18:16   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Carnival discontinued in India, new gen launch not confirmed yet.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 11:44   #225
BHPian

Hello everyone. I have the Carnival Premium 8Str model from 2020. We have driven it daily for about 29,500 km now.

Today suddenly without any warning light, the battery went dead and car could not start. Called the KIA RSA helpline no. mentioned on the car sticker. They sent someone and he said the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. He started the car with another battery.

The battery model is Amaron Go 80AH. Its been almost 3 years now. Is this normal? The guy said that the batteries today are not as they used to be few years back.

Should this problem have been picked up in the routine service visit which was in July 2022?

Is there usually any warning?

Most Viewed