Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2021, 11:33   #106
BHPian

Re: Kia Carnival : Official Review

Hi friends
I am looking for a good 6 or 7 seater vehicle.
Carnival was one option
In my opinion, the car is good and suits my requirement of a perfect 7 seater with enough boot space but I felt the dashboard was old-styled and was missing quite a few modern features.

The limousine version has good features but the prestige version below the limousine has many features removed which further make it non-attractive. I heard 4th Gen may be coming in 2022 first half or later

Checked other cars, Fortuner / Endeavour (not perfect 6 or 7 seaters and over my budget). Hector plus does not suit my requirement as I felt too cramped(we are a family of tall people)

New Tata Safari, yet to be launched, I believe would not be perfect 6 or 7 seater
I checked Gloster, liked it but felt overpriced.

I need help in selecting a good 6 or 7 seater vehicle within 36 to 38L max.
Any good leads will be useful

Last edited by Sheel : 13th March 2021 at 09:50. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. No acronyms please. Thanks.
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 12:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Hi friends
I am looking for a good 6 or 7 seater vehicle.
Carnival was one option
In my opinion, the car is good and suits my requirement of a perfect 7 seater with enough boot space but I felt the dashboard was old-styled and was missing quite a few modern features.

New Tata Safari, yet to be launched, I believe would not be perfect 6 or 7 seater
I checked Gloster, liked it but felt overpriced.

I need help in selecting a good 6 or 7 seater vehicle within 36 to 38L max.
Any good leads will be useful
Since you appear to be okay with MUV bodystyle, you missed to check the segment leader- Innova Crysta. It doesnot have latest gizmos but is comfortable for 6 people and seats are quite nice. The top spec is about 30lacs and should fit your budget.
Old 16th January 2021, 12:47   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Since you appear to be okay with MUV bodystyle, you missed to check the segment leader- Innova Crysta. It doesnot have latest gizmos but is comfortable for 6 people and seats are quite nice. The top spec is about 30lacs and should fit your budget.
Coincidence.. we came back after seeing the same. Looks good and comfortable but yes latest gizmos are not there. Kids wanted a sunroof. Not sure if the new Safari may suit my needs.
Tata Hexa was a good option but discontinued and no confirmed news of the relaunch.
Old 25th January 2021, 19:46   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the Kia Carnival last week. The car blew my mind. I have driven a Dodge Grand Caravan in the US - but that was last in 2013 - so probably a car comparable to the previous generation of the Carnival. That was a good car - but possessed considerable body roll. The Carnival au contraire takes the car like feel to the next level, body roll was negligible, and the car was easy to handle even in very narrow lanes (such as the one at Kalachowki outside Lodha Venezia), which I deliberately took it into.

The Limousine version was super spacious too - we tested it with 4 adults, a 5’8” teenager and the Kia advisor who came to show us the car, and everyone fitted well - even my 75 year old father in law could get in and out reasonably comfortably.

Despite the image issues with minivans, I think it makes far more sense for large families in Bombay than the Fortuner or Endeavour.

Will we buy it? Probably not. The big downside with this car is that while it is fantastic to drive, and easy to park given its size, it is incredibly long. And so while it would be great for family trips out of town or even across town to places with adequate parking, it can’t be used for the journey to Matunga market. Which would imply that if we buy this car, we would need a third car as a run about town vehicle.

But no decisions taken yet - so let’s wait and watch.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 21:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Will we buy it? Probably not. The big downside with this car is that while it is fantastic to drive, and easy to park given its size, it is incredibly long. And so while it would be great for family trips out of town or even across town to places with adequate parking, it can’t be used for the journey to Matunga market. Which would imply that if we buy this car, we would need a third car as a run about town vehicle. But no decisions taken yet - so let’s wait and watch.
I would be a niche vehicle used by large well to do families, movie stars who have a big garage and luxo taxies, Hotels...but Innova has already had those bases covered at comparably VFM price and the Vellfire above this range. Carnival shall remain a niche and showcase product for Kia till a Stinger or something comes along.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:16   #111
BHPian

I am looking for a replacement for my plush XUV 500 W11 AT which was a capable car in it's own might. I drove it for good 40,000 kms almost all on long-distance touring in my 30 months of ownership. I have now sold this to a lovely new owner. And, now looking for a replacement with a few basic criteria in mind - 1) good NVH levels, 2) powerful engine and slick gearbox, 3) highway comfort.

With these in mind, I have test driven the car a few times now in by lanes of HSR Layout, Bangalore and some smooth roads as well. Few salient points:
  1. It is big from outside and inside but as soon as you sit on the driving seat, finding a good position is easy, the massive glass area helps in all round visibility. A slight nudge to the A pedal moves the car without any fuss and drama and I never realised that I am driving perhaps the longest car available in India. I suspect the IRVM makes you feel that the rear window is closer to you helping in managing the size a bit. I got a few other friends to comment upon this and everyone felt the same.
  2. I took it to some massive speed humps and it didn't scrape with 4 adults which is a relief as it's a pain to hear the scratching sound from your car.
  3. The cabin is very silent despite the AC blower working aggressively. Some road noise creeps in but I feel it's within the tolerable zone. Not sure if MRF Wanders are the best choice for this car.
  4. The engine and the gearbox is very well mated and didn't feel the car struggling for the right gear even once. The engine has the punch and it pulls out very quickly given the size and weight of the car. No complaints.
  5. Though didn't try on the highway but I feel it will be a good car.

One of the key aspects that I liked about the car is the roominess that it offers. We are a small family of 3 and though we are not claustrophobic but prefer having some space. The rear seats are well cushioned and in a short drive my 10-year-old daughter and my friend tried sleeping in a full recline and they were very happy at the end of the test drive. I have evaluated a lot of cars such as Safari, VW Allspace, Tucson, Superb, considered a 740Li (used) for a while but the Carnival trumps all of these. I am now negotiating a deal with the dealer hoping to bring the car home by next week.
vivekshukla is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 09:24   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone, do we have any visibility on when the new Kia Carnival launches in India.
manveet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 19:36   #113
BHPian

Finally, I have decided to go ahead with Carnival. JSP Hosur Road came back with a good offer on top end variant. Even though their insurance offer was very competitive, Axis Bank got a better deal from Tata AIG for Rs.84,483 with all inclusions. Delivery is scheduled on 11th March.

I have a question regarding tyres - this is my first car with a MRF. How good are these in terms of road noise, handling and hardness? Is swapping with Continentals or better tyres recommended? I am quite happy with Continental in my F30.
vivekshukla is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:03   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
Finally, I have decided to go ahead with Carnival. JSP Hosur Road came back with a good offer on top end variant. Even though their insurance offer was very competitive, Axis Bank got a better deal from Tata AIG for Rs.84,483 with all inclusions. Delivery is scheduled on 11th March.
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing the final offer please?
luvurride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 14:26   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing the final offer please?
Thank you very much. I have sent you a PM with the quote details.
vivekshukla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 20:04   #116

Quote:
Thank you very much. I have sent you a PM with the quote details.
Congrats Vivek. Can you PM me the final offer? I'm planning to purchase from the showroom in Marathahalli.
varunasok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 09:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunasok View Post
Congrats Vivek. Can you PM me the final offer? I'm planning to purchase from the showroom in Marathahalli.
Thank you. I cannot PM you (I guess something to do with your level in the forum). You can call Karthik 95131 38843 JSP Kia Hosur Road. He got me the best deal of all the dealers in Bangalore. I opted for my own insurance, 4 and 5th year extended warranty. 3 year service pack is included as a running offer till Mar 31 (I am not sure about this timing though) and accessories worth 38k,
vivekshukla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:50   #118

Quote:

I have a question regarding tyres - this is my first car with a MRF. How good are these in terms of road noise, handling and hardness? Is swapping with Continentals or better tyres recommended? I am quite happy with Continental in my F30.
Congratulations! I have just completed 1 year with this car and have driven 7500 KM. Not an expert on tyres but road noise is almost non-existent during the drives, even at high speeds. Handling is good ( I love cars that handle well, driven Matiz, Ikon and Fiesta earlier and look forward to that specifically, in cars) and even at high speeds, when changing lanes and cornering no uncomfortable moments, though we need to be aware of the length of the car. The steering does not weigh in with speed as it used to happen in legendary Ford cars like Ikon or as in Fiesta. But it is not a deal breaker.
sivaselvam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 13:55   #119
BHPian

I just chanced upon the All New Carnival video from Kia on YouTube. And my my my, wasn't it a gorgeous offering. Looks amazing but what caught my eye was the seating configurations where it can be made into a cozy sitting with middle row and third row seats facing each other and centre seat be used as a table. The configurations are mind blowing.

At more than 5 meters in length, it sure is long but if someone has the garage, this suits so well for large families and with plethora of features, it can keep anyone happy in the family.

Now when will the All New Carnival be launched in India is left to dreams, but it's a car that warrants appreciation.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:23   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivaselvam View Post
Congratulations! I have just completed 1 year with this car and have driven 7500 KM. Not an expert on tyres but road noise is almost non-existent during the drives, even at high speeds. Handling is good ( I love cars that handle well, driven Matiz, Ikon and Fiesta earlier and look forward to that specifically, in cars) and even at high speeds, when changing lanes and cornering no uncomfortable moments, though we need to be aware of the length of the car. The steering does not weigh in with speed as it used to happen in legendary Ford cars like Ikon or as in Fiesta. But it is not a deal breaker.
Thanks for the wishes. I have only driven 100 kms so far and can't seem to find faults with the tyres as yet. I took it out with 7 adults and fortunately it didn't scrape the speed bumps in HSR. So far we are loving the car. I am planning to do a long trip towards the mid of April and I will have lot more to share.

Is the 1000 km service routine (short in term of time)? I may be on the road when 1000 km mark comes and was thinking if I can get it serviced somewhere in Ananthpur or Hyderabad without spending too much time in the service station.

Most Viewed