Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 11:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Aura : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Why did Hyundai give it so weird styling though, especially from the rear?
Just my personal feeling - that without the quirks it looks just like an Xcent!

Looks like the car was purposefully overstyled to differentiate it from the previous gen, which now has taxi/cab associations.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 11:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is such a detailed review. So many pictures. These pictures are a great help to any potential buyer.

I think Aura will have the same fate as that of Xcent though. When we bought Xcent 5 years back, the main reasons why chose it was the automatic top end (SXO AT existed back then) and the fact that it looked less weird than the other compact sedans. In the next 3 years, the landscape changed and Xcent became the weirdest looking one compared to its face lifted peers. Aura continues that tradition. It has also lost the one big advantage Xcent had - A proper AT box even though archaic.

Petrol or diesel, Amaze is the one I will prefer in the current landscape. The looks as well as having proper automatic seals the deal for me.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2020 at 14:52. Reason: Corrected typo. Thanks.
padmrajravi is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 12:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

There's an owner in my city who has managed to get his C pillar colored/wrapped to match the body paint. He's also removed the chrome strip connecting the taillights. The car looks much more pleasing compared to the stock Aura I see.
Nithesh_M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 12:19   #19
BHPian

I would like to reiterate the 2nd gen dolphin shaped Honda City looks much more pleasing to the eyes than this contraption IMHO.
Storm2.0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 12:56   #20
BHPian

This is a pretty fancy car. I must say that the rear looks a bit odd and Overdone(But I love the idea of smoked tail lights).

However the interior looks good. Probably the best in this segment.

I fell that is the best looking car in the segment. In my opinion the Dzire, Amaze and the Ameo just look dull.(No offence to the owners).

Hyundai just needs to give this car more power.Then it will become perfect.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 19th May 2020 at 13:05.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 14:10   #21
BHPian

Excellent review as usual! I think excellent is becoming the new normal for TBHP

What surprised me was the review of the Engine. Now we haven't reviewed the Nios but will the same engine review with a lighter car make it a funner to drive car?

If yes, then I think it would be a great time to pit the 1.0 turbos against each other. Hyundai has Nios, Aura, Venue; VW-Polo, Vento; Maruti the older 1.0 Baleno Boosterjet.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2020 at 21:38. Reason: Minor typo.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 19:18   #22
BHPian

Nice thread; didn’t get to enjoy it as much as usual, because of connectivity issues.

Glad to see Hyundai has sorted out the ride somewhat in this car. I quite vividly remember the awesome low speed ride quality on the Xcent diesel, and am happy that they have finally struck a decent balance here, with the more mature suspension. The rest of the features are secondary as far as I’m concerned (where GTO is the engine dude, I’m the ride quality guy ).
Old 19th May 2020, 20:25   #23
BHPian

Excellent and detailed review as expected. I do not like this car at all just like all other hyundai's except Verna and erstwhile Tucson. This one looks more awry than aura. Dismal engine stats on paper except turbo and hyundai's bad air conditioner history, paint fading problems and the limit at 6600 rpm which is bound to hamper highway drives especially overtaking should also be kept in mind while purchasing this car.

Non-adjustable neck restraints. Why is this even a thing? It is cheapning out just like not providing under hood engine insulation. If there is any benefit feel free to correct me.

Why would any car have all doors unlocked after taking the key out? It is a major security flaw and should be rectified at once. If company fitted tyres are bad then it means an additional investment of 20k to upgrade.

If blackwasp, CrAzY dRiVeR or Chetan_Rao or anyone who has extensively reviewed/driven both Hyndai's Aura and Maruti Suzuki's Dzire can share their opinion as which is better amongst the two.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 20:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
If blackwasp, CrAzY dRiVeR or Chetan_Rao or anyone who has extensively reviewed/driven both Hyndai's Aura and Maruti Suzuki's Dzire can share their opinion as which is better amongst the two.
There is no clear cut answer as it depends on your needs.

If you ask me personally, I don't prefer the sub 4m sedans unless they offer something that their hatchback counterparts don't.

Coming back to your question, the Aura would be my pick if I need a diesel, turbo-petrol or a CNG option. This is simply because the Dzire has no answer for these. The 1.2 NA petrol is good, infact the best amongst other NA engines, but my choice would be the Aura's turbo petrol.

For all other cases, it would be a close one amongst the two.
Old 19th May 2020, 21:18   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
IMHO - there are three clear cut winners in the compact sedan segment, for now.

Best petrol MT - Hyundai Aura 1.0 TGDi
Best diesel MT - Ford Aspire 1.5 TDCi
Best diesel AT - Honda Amaze 1.5 CVT.

The only real confusion is for those looking at a petrol AT compact sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
If yes, then I think it would be a great time to pit the 1.0 turbos against each other. Hyundai has Nios, Aura, Venue; VW-Polo, Vento; Maruti the older 1.0 Baleno Boosterjet.
Will be interesting. Too early though as no one has driven the VW 1.0 TSi options yet.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2020 at 21:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 06:57   #26
BHPian

This car is a good example of what happens when you let the designers go overboard. The car is trying too hard to look attractive and muscular but the result is contrary in my opinion. No matter how hard I try its just difficult to like this car.
thehighwayman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 08:59   #27
BHPian

Good car, great review. Seems Hyundai is trying hard to shake the taxi image that their last launch in this segment (Xcent) garnered. They want to take the fight to Amaze but AMT may be a party dampener. Would be interesting to see

The car looks really good in the fiery red but the blacked out pillars stand out in a not so nice way.

On the weird rear styling, Hyundai wants to make sure that Creta is not alone in blinding out people on the road.

What is shocking is the unmarked switches on front doors as well as the fuel lid. This kind of ‘Bring Your Own Sticker’ mentality is appalling to say the least. Not cool Hyundai!

Build quality is a big positive, good to see Hyundai not trying to cut corners to follow the market leader.

As others said, this is a strong contender for customers looking for manual Petrols (if such a breed still exists in mass market).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th May 2020 at 18:54. Reason: Minor spacing
warrioraks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 10:48   #28
BHPian

Superb review! Rated it 5 stars!

The attention to detail is fantastic as usual.

Finally, Hyundai gets in a cracker of Petrol engine in this CS segment

P.S: Official review feels incomplete without the photo of our friendly mod Aditya sitting in the rear seat to demonstrate head room availability

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th May 2020 at 18:56. Reason: Minor spacing
srvm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 10:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Happy to see that the turbocharged engine is a good performer and that it is also refined. The smaller 1 liter turbo engines seem to be the latest rage with all manufacturers except Maruti wanting a piece of the pie.

As always, find the latest Hyundai design on this one to be quite ugly, especially the rear. The front design is still palatable though.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:53   #30
BHPian

Dear Team BHP I want to point out one lacuna in otherwise a wonderful and detailed review.

We keep iterating that, TBHP community promotes safety and safe driving practices. But safety features or ratings are neither mentioned in the first post nor is it mentioned as a sub heading in the second post. It is saddening that safety does not come in the top 7 subtopics listed in second post. I had to use the search option to find a single line mentioned about NCAP testing in the end of Exterior details. If we do not know the NCAP safety rating of it, why can’t we include it in the top? Should the safety rating not be one of the top considerations of a new car buyer?

Coming to the car itself, I don’t know how else to put it, but the Aura (and even Excent) looks fat and bloated to me. Even if I forget the weird rear styling, overdone chrome, I just cannot shake of the feeling of a fat car!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th May 2020 at 18:55. Reason: Minor spacing
Raghuwire is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed