Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 13:32   #226
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
I have decided on the basic accessory kit, the arm rest, headlights upgrade, horn kit upgrade and the final negotiated price stands at 11.65 after all discounts. I have been offered 23k+5k (Corporate Discount). I checked out the rear view camera installed on the demo car and for about 9k it did not seem worth, and decided to drop this. I can still get it done during my service if I really miss it so much.
Congratulations on your new car, I have a question on accessories you have listed. Which dealer agreed for upgrading the horn kit? I would like to get it done too. Apple Auto in Mahadevpura said that it was not possible to upgrade the horn.
Also, what do you mean by headlights upgrade? what rating of bulbs are they going to install in the upgrade and will it not need a cutout / relay ?
Old 8th February 2021, 17:13   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBot View Post
Congratulations on your new car, I have a question on accessories you have listed. Which dealer agreed for upgrading the horn kit? I would like to get it done too. Apple Auto in Mahadevpura said that it was not possible to upgrade the horn.
Also, what do you mean by headlights upgrade? what rating of bulbs are they going to install in the upgrade and will it not need a cutout / relay ?
This is the JP Nagar Showroom. If you look at the accessories list, there’s a bulb upgrade possible. I have decided to opt for this.

I am still undecided on the Camera option. The dealer can install a basic camera for about 9k, but the demo car which had the same was of avg/poor quality. The OCD in me is refusing to approve

The second option is to opt for the Tiguan’s flip camera which costs a whopping 19k, but also pending dealer confirmation. Considering AliExpress orders are not easy and I being not so much of a DIY guy, I have to probably settle for this expensive Flip camera. I will keep this thread updated when I make a decision.
One thing I noticed on the CarPlay connection when playing music was that the HU dropped audio samples every now and then and the speaker would make a ‘Tik’ sound, perhaps something to do with the handing of Audio samples in the SW. Hopefully, this is only a glitch on the TD car.
hellraizer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 17:26   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBot View Post
that it was not possible to upgrade the horn.
?
Allow me to explain the scene here. Volkswagen has offered quite a number of dual tone horn offerings in the past. Vehicles sold in the last few years have come with a single High Tone Horn, which is on the right side of the vehicle when you're looking at the vehicle.
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-c-clamp.jpg
It is held on by a C-Clamp Horn Bracket. Now, Volkswagen offers a kit which replaces this C-Clamp bracket with a set of two horns which fit on a single bracket, and the Horn Signal wire is one which splits from the Stock Horn Connector. In this case, the dealership sells you the entire pair of Dual Tone Horns this replacing your stock brackets.
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-extra-wiring.jpg
The twist in the tale is Volkswagen has continued to keep an extra wiring socket for the horn in the left of the bumper. It is tied with a zip tie and covered with a weatherproof connector. Ideally, on older vehicles, a Low Tone Horn could be separately purchased and connected here from the mounting hole you can see. The 1.0 TSI Engine does not come with a mounting hole for the Low Tone Horn which we had previously.
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-1.0-tsi-design.jpg
This is a picture of the present component. However, I purchased a Low-Tone horn with a Harness from the dealership, and we drilled a suitable hole in the location and managed to get the Dual Horns working. Notice the absence of the hole which you can clearly see in the above photo, which is from a 2018 Polo GT TSI. The dealership sold me the Low Tone Horn, Bracket, Wiring Harness and the bolt for Rs. 3000. After drilling the hole, everything was a perfect fit. Now the horn sounds like it should.
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-low-tone-horn-bracket.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-low-tone-horn.jpg
Quote:
The second option is to opt for the Tiguan’s flip camera which costs a whopping 19k, but also pending dealer confirmation. Considering AliExpress orders are not easy and I being not so much of a DIY guy, I have to probably settle for this expensive Flip camera. I will keep this thread updated when I make a decision.
Also, did you mean to refer to the T-Roc's Flip Camera? Since the Tiguan has no provision to have a Flip Camera. Why don't you go for the Genuine Flip Camera I went for? I can help you source it for a fair price for your Polo. You can read more details on my thread and I am happy to help you install it.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-low-tone-horn-harness.jpg  

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 8th February 2021 at 17:32. Reason: Refinement.
fluidicjoy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:01   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Also, did you mean to refer to the T-Roc's Flip Camera? Since the Tiguan has no provision to have a Flip Camera. Why don't you go for the Genuine Flip Camera I went for? I can help you source it for a fair price for your Polo. You can read more details on my thread and I am happy to help you install it.
I guess I was wrong then. I thought, the Flip camera is also available in the Tiguan range.

I did happen to read your thread in full and also the YouTube links you've shared. I am afraid I may not have so much time and energy to figure out all the nuances associated with the installation. I have to find out someone in Bangalore who can help me with the installation. Perhaps a local Car accessories shop can help me. Let me decide.

Again, thanks for the offer. Really appreciate it. I will PM you if I need anything.
Old 9th February 2021, 17:30   #230
BHPian

When the ASC guy took a drive there was no howling sound on that stretch also we couldn’t sustain speed for long enough cuz of speedbreakers -_-. Secondly, I’m getting a feeling this sound is more prominent on sea bridges - cross wind causes it more perhaps?

I’m gonna record a video/audio of this sound and then show the guys at the ASC the next time I visit for service.

Hi,
I have tried recording the sound, ASC could not figure out anything, it seems we just have to ignore this and nothing can be done about it. Technically it does not seem to be any issue. Let me know if your ASC can figure this out, might help many owners.
Old 10th February 2021, 00:29   #231
BHPian

Quote:
This is the JP Nagar Showroom. If you look at the accessories list, there’s a bulb upgrade possible. I have decided to opt for this.
Can you elaborate on this bulb upgrade? Which type of bulb is it and how much is it priced in the accessories list?

Update on the rattle sounds fix: It is 99% gone BUT there is still some slight rattling sound I hear near the rear left passenger seat. I'll have to wait for another round of service to get them to check this. But this particular one is not anywhere close to how loud the rattling was in the front seats. Their spray fix does work.

Unfortunately I do have an OCD for these things so have to figure out getting this fixed .

Last edited by PankajKara : 10th February 2021 at 00:32.
PankajKara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 15:39   #232
BHPian

I noticed a slight issue with my Polo TSI AT. I rarely drive without music on but just yesterday I happen to have forgot to turn on the music for a little while and I noticed that as and when I turned the steering wheel - it makes a sound. It's as if the shaft that's moving isn't lubricated and two hard parts are rubbing against each other creating the sound. It feels like it's coming from deep down rather than near the steering wheel. What could it possibly be? I'll take it to the service station soon.

On another note, the FE reading on the MID is surprisingly accurate. On a trip to Chandigarh, the FE displayed on MID showed 16.9 and the tankful to tankful (autocut) method reveals a FE of around 16.75! Baleno's used to exaggerate the FE substantially.

My overall FE over the last 1800kms (30% highway, 70% in a highly congested city) has come around to 12.8. Lower than my previous car, but acceptable for a turbo AT.
RoadMonkey is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 15:56   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
I noticed a slight issue with my Polo TSI AT. I rarely drive without music on but just yesterday I happen to have forgot to turn on the music for a little while and I noticed that as and when I turned the steering wheel - it makes a sound. It's as if the shaft that's moving isn't lubricated and two hard parts are rubbing against each other creating the sound. It feels like it's coming from deep down rather than near the steering wheel. What could it possibly be? I'll take it to the service station soon.
If your car is under warranty, get your steering rack replaced. I had the same problem and the rack was replaced under warranty for me.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 16:22   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed a slight issue with my Polo TSI AT. .....It's as if the shaft that's moving isn't lubricated and two hard parts are rubbing against each other creating the sound. It feels like it's coming from deep down rather than near the steering wheel. What could it possibly be? I'll take it to the service station soon.
Ask the service center to apply grease to the front shock absorber bearings. I had this sound in my 2019 GT Tsi. It was a lubrication issue and greasing the bearings sorted the issue. The sound in my car was coming when turning the steering at slow speeds during parking. If its similar then greasing should do the trick.
abhinav.s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 21:26   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Ask the service center to apply grease to the front shock absorber bearings. I had this sound in my 2019 GT Tsi. It was a lubrication issue and greasing the bearings sorted the issue. The sound in my car was coming when turning the steering at slow speeds during parking. If its similar then greasing should do the trick.
This solution proposed by abhinav.s Works. Even I had the same issue, some greasing and it got sorted. But once this grease drys up issue will come again.
Do keep the forum posted if you find any other solution.
TJ02 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 22:55   #236
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed that as and when I turned the steering wheel - it makes a sound. It's as if the shaft that's moving isn't lubricated and two hard parts are rubbing against each other creating the sound. It feels like it's coming from deep down rather than near the steering wheel.
Noticed the same behaviour at the 1500km mark and I spoke to my friend who owns an independent European vehicle garage and he confidently told me it was a common problem due to failure or improper lubrication of the Strut Axial Bearing and Strut Top Mount assembly. Honestly, it is just a simple rubber bushing, which could have had a greasing deficit or grease that dried up during the transit etc, but again, something that I did not expect. I could hear a distinct cracking noise on turning the wheels in either direction. On opening the Top Mount dust cap from the engine bay, I had another friend turn the wheels and I noticed quite a lot of vibration on the Top Mounts. The vibrations were more on the left mount than the right one. I visited the dealership and it took them less than two minutes to conclude that it was the Strut Mount/Axial Bearing which needed to be lubricated or replaced. I asked them to pick their approach but also said I did not want to revisit for this issue and they chose to promptly replace it. This involves removing the Shock Absorber but the entire work was completed in 45 minutes including the warranty claim process. The Volkswagen made Strut Mounts are not the best in quality and I've seen independent garages have better success with Lemforder Strut Mounts, but it is a shame we can't use them, at least till the car is under Volkswagen's care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Exactly the same thing I was witnessing. It would be audible only while turning. There was no play in the steering rack, nor was the car handling terribly. Coincidentally, my neighbours 2019 GT TSI has the exact same issue, but he chose to live with it, but his car handles like a charm as well.
fluidicjoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 15:13   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Noticed the same behaviour at the 1500km mark and I spoke to my friend who owns an independent European vehicle garage and he confidently told me it was a common problem due to failure or improper lubrication of the Strut Axial Bearing and Strut Top Mount assembly.
Yep, my SA diagnosed it as the same problem within 2 minutes. I'm at the service station awaiting delivery.

Quote:
Exactly the same thing I was witnessing. It would be audible only while turning. There was no play in the steering rack, nor was the car handling terribly. Coincidentally, my neighbours 2019 GT TSI has the exact same issue, but he chose to live with it, but his car handles like a charm as well.
Won't that cause excessive wear and tear over the time? Will necessarily have to get them replaced later on.
Old 11th February 2021, 19:42   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Won't that cause excessive wear and tear over the time? Will necessarily have to get them replaced later on.
I'm not really sure about how this component is particularly engineered, but the Service Advisor told me, improper lubrication of the Mount only leads to a an annoying noise. He believes there is nothing complex in its design to worry about. But yes, ideally the top mounts of all of these cars should be regularly lubricated as Volkswagen is very aware of this common premature issue.
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-img_20210211_110746.jpg
Coincidentally, happened to find a similar job being performed at my friend's garage, The Mechanix Automotive today and clicked a few pictures of this part assembly. Notice the remainder grease in the small bearing.
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-img_20210211_110807.jpg
fluidicjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 22:21   #239
BHPian

The problem has been promptly resolved and it took almost an hour total. I've had to deal with 2 VW dealerships and I've been mighty impressed with their customer dealing and even how they've handled my car. Both the SAs are a pleasure to chat up and they've carried themselves with far more professionalism than I'm used to with MSIL (have dealt with 5 of theirs).
RoadMonkey is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:03   #240
BHPian

Anyone fixed a dual tone horn in the new polo? What is the cost?
The sales guy was saying unlike the previous polo the mounting bracket is not there in the new one and if you fix it there is a possibility that it can fall down !! Any experience with this ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks