Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 10:26   #901
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Guys, I'm getting this Wheel care service from Go Mechanics for my Polo Tsi.

After discounts, got this just for 600/-.

Need your opinions. Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-capture-1.jpg
Old 8th August 2022, 14:06   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
Hi all, why do we not have a TBHP review of the 1.0TSI+AT gearbox combo yet? If anyone is willing to pen down a review of this combo, I'll be happy to lend my car to them in Bangalore.
No worries, as a TSI+AT owner, I will try my best to come up with an in-depth review of it soon, I guess the only reason many people haven't covered this combination is that the same powertrain is found in many other VAG products and all of those have been covered.
GaryTSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 08:07   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Powaaaa View Post

4. Have installed the engine guard along with the dual horn kit post delivery.
Hi - can you please share the location & contact details of the person who installed your Engine Guard? Was there a need for any welding?
Old 19th August 2022, 14:19   #904
BHPian

6 months, 10k kms up! Here (Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review) is a link to my initial review.

So far, I've had two issues. First, there was a squeaky noise from steering. It wasn't loud as such, still, you don't expect it within 5 months. I called the service guy and asked about it, he said it could be due to failed bushes, which are not covered under warranty. But he said you keep driving for a while, as long as there is no issue in the actual operation; meaning it's not going heavier or anything.

A week later there is harsh squeaky noise from the front wheel. Right away I knew it is due to a pebble stuck in the disk brake assembly, as I had a similar experience with my Wagon R, a few years back. But it was an unbearably loud noise and I did not want to drive the car in that state. I called for RSA to arrange a flatbed to tow it to the service station. Called the service guy in advance to inform him about the issue.

So it was just that - a pebble in disk assembly. They sorted it out quickly. Since the car was already taken to the service station, I asked them to fix the steering issue as well. After diagnosing, post multiple test drives, they confirmed that the issue was not with the bush, but with linkage and/or bearing (I'm not a mechanical guy, so I didn't get into the detail of what it was). They fixed it in warranty.

Both issues were fixed with zero bill. Of course, they found a blown brake lamp and replaced it for some 500 bucks.

Currently, close to 11k kms the car is running well. It is as energetic as it was on day 1. Especially climbing uphill on winding roads is real fun. While other cars are contemplating, if the space is sufficient to overtake a truck, this car is already halfway through the overtake.

I've not done any modifications to the car yet. No programming to remove speed warning, no nothing. Even the bulbs are stock. Only it's been accessorised with some seat covers, dash cam, etc.

I recently did a small 500kms trip over a weekend - first time fully loaded - 5 onboard. With higher tyre pressure, the throttle response is as quick as with the solo run. In fact, people onboard kept asking "why aren't you going any faster?", once they found out how this thing leaps.

This surely is a keeper! No regrets on petrol bills.

By the way, auto experts: why this car isn't equipped with a blow-off valve? The JTP sounds wild with it. The sound of blow-off would have enhanced the character of this wild pony.

Last edited by akshye : 19th August 2022 at 14:22.
akshye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:51   #905
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another tribute to Polo

sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 02:31   #906
BHPian

Polo GT Legend 10K KMS, 100 Days update.

Not long ago I wrote the 3500 kms update, and just 2 months later here I am writing about the ownership experience just having recently crossed 10k mark (in 94 days).

I have gotten more comfortable with the car now and can extract better fuel economy than before. I got indicated FE of 21.5 kmpl while cruising at 120 kph.
I can do 600 kms of highway trips (even more if the roads are not that busy) with one full tank of fuel.
I usually get 11 to 12 kmpl in Bangalore traffic, around 9kmpl if I'm in a hurry.
I always opt for XP95, the difference in FE and performance is quite noticeable when I have to get regular petrol when I can't find XP95.

I had to do back to back business meetings in different cities (2k KMS in 10 days), and have to admit it's quite comfortable and stress free, some credit goes to the amazing leather seats by Stanley.

There is nothing to complain about performance, the sheer acceleration, the handling in tight traffic is just amazing, never felt like I was in an inferior car at any point. I had a chance to drive Kia Seltos GT line (diesel), my back started aching after driving it for 50 kms, felt exhausted with how the steering wheel felt and also made me realize the difference in how the other torque converters are lagging behind compared to the one on Polo.

Things that I like and noticed recently:

1. Stability and traction control, 3 weeks ago, there was heavy downpour in Bangalore and I had to make a night journey in that heavy rain, the wipers couldn't really keep up with the clearing the water off the windshield, my friend was driving the car and a couple of times he drove into heavy puddles, once we both thought we would lose control and aquaplane or steer off the road but the car didn't even flinch, nothing happened other than splashing water onto the car. Just amazed how good it is even compared to rapid in such conditions.

2. Sports mode deceleration, though many complain about the jerky aggressive downshifts in sports mode, I like it, in fact I put into sports mode when I have to slowdown fast. It's just amazing.

Things I still don't like:

1. The skinny steering wheel doesn't feel satisfying to hold at all, this is my biggest disappointment in the car. This feeling is just double whenever I have to drive my dad's Rapid, it's just way chunkier and awesome to hold the rapid steering wheel. I have been talking to saddles India rep to see if something can be done with just a different leather wrap. If that doesn't workout will definitely go for the aftermarket options (SLK Carbon will do a carbon fiber finish with whatever design you like onto the OEM wheel, costs anywhere between 30 to 45k).

2. The stock headlights, it just isn't enough at all especially in rains. I talked to my sales rep and he advised against getting aftermarket headlamps or led bulbs for that matter as it would void warranty (can someone shed some light on whether upgrading to LEDs will actually void warranty). I asked them for alternatives and they quoted me 80K to install white lights at showroom, or 4K for 60% brighter yellow halogens.

3. The AC, for some reason if the vents are facing slightly towards me, My eyes get dry and red, it starts making me feel strained. Doesn't happen in other cars. I have to keep the vents faced away from me at all times, pointed towards roof and windows.

It's wrong of me to complain anything about the car at all, I knew what I was getting and what I wasn't as well.
This car is nothing but pure joy and encourages the inner hooliganism which I have suppressed in recent times with much difficulty and patience.

Next update after the First service (15K kms).
k491 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 09:57   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaljawahar View Post
Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks for the inputs!

For those interested, the pre-provisioned socket comes attached to a dummy connector and needs to be removed in order to connect the horn. Here's the dummy part which has the concealed slots after removing from the connector.

Attachment 2336428
Have you drilled a hole to install the horn?
Old 20th August 2022, 13:16   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan23 View Post
No, mine is a 1.2 TSI (last batch) so the hole for the horn bracket was already there. It is missing in 1.0 TSI variants only.
vishaljawahar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 10:03   #909
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k491 View Post
Polo GT Legend 10K KMS, 100 Days update.

2. The stock headlights, it just isn't enough at all especially in rains. I talked to my sales rep and he advised against getting aftermarket headlamps or led bulbs for that matter as it would void warranty (can someone shed some light on whether upgrading to LEDs will actually void warranty). I asked them for alternatives and they quoted me 80K to install white lights at showroom, or 4K for 60% brighter yellow halogens.
Bulb change won't void warranty. Go for DHC 4300K LEDs. Cost is about 15000/- total. I'm delighted with the output. You can also consider GPNE R5.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:19   #910

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanarmy View Post
Hi - can you please share the location & contact details of the person who installed your Engine Guard? Was there a need for any welding?
Hi, I had installed the engine guard in Kolkata by the official service centre. No welding was required.
VTEC_Powaaaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 14:51   #911
BHPian

Hi - I'm looking for OEM armrest for my Polo GT but it's not available anywhere. Accessories department of the dealership says it's no longer being manufactured so they don't have it anymore. Order on Boodmo is pending for more than 45 days and they keep extending the delivery date saying they are unable to source it from the manufacturer. It's available on aliexpress but that's not an option due to obvious reasons.
Is there anywhere else I can source this from?
Old 28th August 2022, 21:18   #912
BHPian

Need suggestion for my Polo.

Just got home from a simple wash and wax session from a local detailing shop but it didn't stay normal this time as I got a dent where the roof ends and trunk starts. The owner kept a plier on that joint and when the boot was opened, it slipped through the gap and when boot was getting closed it caused a nasty dent and damaged the paint as well.

I called VW body shop and they are saying that whole boot door needs to be dented and painted but that's just ridiculous. Also, Paint has peeled off, so I am fearing that rust formation can take place there. The paint has completely peeled off from the border but can't be seen in the pics.

I need some expert opinion, how to go about it. Should I go to VW or some body shop outside? There will be denting and painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-20220828_201637.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-20220828_201233.jpg  

Old 29th August 2022, 22:16   #913
BHPian

Ashva (Polo 1L TSI AT) is a year old! And he has completed 13500 kilometers so far and, as always, is a delight to drive!

There is nothing much to report other than the mileage after the service, which significantly improved both city(12+) and highway (19+).

On the mod front: the Philips LEDs are helping greatly, and I am more confident to drive at night than ever.

Snapped in Kudremukha:
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-ashva.jpg
TeaYesEye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:22   #914

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
In the picture, I could see the grey AC piping, and water droplets near that region could very well be from condensation on either of these. The Brake Vacuum Pump may occasionally hiss, but I do not remember if it specifically vibrates. If I end up checking this, I will add a reply to this. Hope this helps.
The condensation sounds normal. Is it something to be concerened though? The pump hisses every few seconds when idling. Popped the hood in middle of a jouney yesterday but there was no hissing at that time. Is there an option to upload a video here? sorry I'm new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Are you sure it's the pump which is causing the hissing sound? There can be a hissing sound (something like boiling) from the coolant reservoir once the car is shutdown in TSI engine cars.
Yes sir! I'm sure it is from the pump or components, not the coolant flowing or bubbling.

Can someone please confirm if the pump end goes inside the round rubber gasket below. Mine is currently staying on the top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan23 View Post
I think both the horn and sump guard can be installed without any external mods. They did it in around 40-45 minutes for mine as it requires taking of the bumper which in turn requires taking off the grill, foglight and headlight. The sump guard is just an add-on, takes five minutes at most.
Old 5th September 2022, 12:33   #915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijivishu View Post
Is accumulation of water droplets on the tray under pump normal?

Also, maybe I'm nitpicking but is the hissing and vibration of the pump shown, normal?
Both are completely normal.

The condensation has nothing to do with the pump. It's because of the ac line running atop the tray. It's the low pressure line which becomes very cold during air con operation. Hence, water tends to condensate on it and drops on the tray below.

The hissing of the pump is also normal. Electric pumps including the lift pump inside the tank always make some hissing noise as they pump fuel. Unless it's not whining loudly or clattering, there's nothing to be worried about.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed