Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2024, 09:44   #1156
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 1.0 TSI and have clocked 14k on it. I wanted to know what's a typical performance upgrade path for this car.

I mean if one wants to approach the upgrade step by step strictly, what would be the recommended steps? I've tried to take a shot at what it could look like to me, please correct.

1) Euro air intake
2) Performance Air Filter
3) Stage 1 map
4) Racing line turbo intake
5) Custom exhaust?
6) ??

I'm looking for purely performance gains, not interested in exhaust note or aesthetics.

Brakes n tyres I'm assuming are in parallel and can be done at any stage of upgrade
Before doing any of these, I strongly urge you to upgrade your suspension and brakes.

Reason being - the Polo was on sale in India from 2010 to 2022 and during this period, VW has gone about localising critical chassis components for the worse. The suspension does not last as long as it should, and lacks the ability to harness this car’s potential.

Please consider upgrading the dampers, mounts, lower arms and drop links. If you have a decent budget, you can transform the suspension with OEM+ parts from Sachs / Meyle or even Bilstein.

Upgrade the front brakes with a larger OEM brake kit while you are at it.

These much needed upgrades will compliment the ECU tune you desire.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 14:04   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Reason being - the Polo was on sale in India from 2010 to 2022 and during this period, VW has gone about localising critical chassis components for the worse. The suspension does not last as long as it should, and lacks the ability to harness this car’s potential.
Thanks for the info. I wish to keep the car stock for another year at least before I go for a Stage 1 tune. Brake upgrade with stock size discs is what I plan on doing in this year, ever since I got the brakes cleaned and tyres rotated the shudder in steering has increased during hard braking from 120-140. Overall brake feel has also turned spongy and the car just doesn't stop like the way it used to, not sure what cleaning did to it along with the tyre rotation.

I ordered the Euro spec air channel yesterday so that's the first upgrade I planned. Brakes I think I have no option but to upgrade as soon as possible.

Any merit in upgrading the air filter? With the Euro spec air channel I think I will have to get the air filter changed on much frequent basis so unless the air filter should be upgraded I'll just get the stock one changed more frequently.

On the suspension front, what are the top 2 budget suspension setups you recommend?
Old 19th March 2024, 23:25   #1158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks for the info. I wish to keep the car stock for another year at least before I go for a Stage 1 tune. Brake upgrade with stock size discs is what I plan on doing in this year, ever since I got the brakes cleaned and tyres rotated the shudder in steering has increased during hard braking from 120-140. Overall brake feel has also turned spongy and the car just doesn't stop like the way it used to, not sure what cleaning did to it along with the tyre rotation.
You have a number of options to choose from in the aftermarket for brake upgrades. EBC offers good rotors + pads packages if you are looking for good stopping power on a budget. Brembo xtra rotors are also good but it’s easy to land fakes so you have to be vigilant.

Quote:
I ordered the Euro spec air channel yesterday so that's the first upgrade I planned. Brakes I think I have no option but to upgrade as soon as possible.

Any merit in upgrading the air filter? With the Euro spec air channel I think I will have to get the air filter changed on much frequent basis so unless the air filter should be upgraded I'll just get the stock one changed more frequently.

On the suspension front, what are the top 2 budget suspension setups you recommend?
The euro spec air channel is a good start. No harm in installing a reusable filter, but frequent services may be required. Suggest you stick to the stock paper filter for the time being if you are keeping stock software.

On the suspension front, take a good long hard look at the control arms, top hats, ball joints and the drop links. Get replacement aftermarket items if the stock items are showing any signs of wear. These factory parts don’t last too long especially on newer Polos.l. Also, the wear - even if minimal - will be accelerated the moment you swap the shocks for newer items.

For the dampers, I’d suggest stock replacement OEM+ items if you are on a budget. Sachs makes a replacement damper for the Polo, as does Meyle. Bilstein B4 is also a good damper to consider. Expect these parts to be in the range of 20-30k.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:26   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post

If driving at night, DHC LED 4300k bulbs help a lot. 75W High beam, 55W low is superb.
Is this plug and play? What about the housing? Would it get affected with the high-powered LEDs. I need to up my bulbs in my newly acquired Tsi.
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:34   #1160
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Is this plug and play? What about the housing? Would it get affected with the high-powered LEDs. I need to up my bulbs in my newly acquired Tsi.
It requires a clip. Pl see my related posts. You can source it from Arihant, Santa.Cruz, Mumbai if in doubt.

Housing won't be affected.

Last edited by ais : 2nd April 2024 at 13:35.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 08:59   #1161

Hello team bhp folks,

Need your inputs and opinion with making a decision

I recently came across this nice 2021 candy white polo 1.0 tsi manual in the used car market for a quoted price of 8.6l, the car is with the second owner and has about 23k on the odo. There has been a couple of incidents where the front bumper along with the radiator components were changed at authorised service centre.

Took the car for a TD and it's good, few Knicks and scratches here and there, front fenders have been repainted and no airbag deployment in the past.

My point of concern was with the vcds scanning results, a couple of intermittent misfires has been registered and HVAC had low pressure error code which has been reset 244 times

I think the engine misfire which had happened only a couple of times is no big deal, pls correct me if I'm wrong. But the HVAC low pressure and the reset count indicates that it has gas leak or something and given the fact that the bumper and radiator has some work done due to an accident I'm connecting these and thinking it would be heavy on my pockets.

Checked other options and polo tsi are selling at a really high price now in the used car market.

Heart wants to bite the bullet and go for it, enjoy the slick shift + tsi combo... But the mind want to be a bit more sensible financially 😅

P.S. i currently own a 2015 polo GT tsi and am looking at this switch coz want to enjoy the manual as much as possible before the market shifts or before I get old and start preferring automatics 😁
Also I'm currently hitting 60k on the odo is making me nervous with the cost of the dsg clutch, suspension work, steering rack work which needs to be addressed for a fuss free experience..

Need your expertise to help me on weather it is a sensible decision to buy the mentioned tsi manual or wait for another better option to be available in the market.
SathyaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 14:24   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SathyaV View Post

I recently came across this nice 2021 candy white polo 1.0 tsi manual in the used car market for a quoted price of 8.6l, the car is with the second owner and has about 23k on the odo.
Going by what I see on OLX/Carwale, 8.6L for a 23k run (and second owner) seems high. Is it Highline Plus?
Old 3rd April 2024, 19:34   #1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Going by what I see on OLX/Carwale, 8.6L for a 23k run (and second owner) seems high. Is it Highline Plus?
Yes, it's highline plus, I'm not able to find any other listings for the tsi highline plus manual one with cheaper price in Chennai
Old 3rd April 2024, 21:55   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SathyaV View Post
Yes, it's highline plus, I'm not able to find any other listings for the tsi highline plus manual one with cheaper price in Chennai
Prices have really shot through the roof for the TSis. I picked up one recently in my state, but the price was way higher than I would have liked to pay for. Only saving grace it has done 15K and its a manual!

Looking to upgrade to LED bulbs and looking for recommendations.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 12:36   #1165
BHPian

I'm facing a peculiar problem with my Polo 1.0 TSI AT's braking.

The braking is fine 99% of the times. Only while crawling <10kmph in heavy traffic, and alternating quickly between accelerator and brake inputs (when closing gaps in traffic), the brake sometimes has only 20% of the bite it usually does!

Once I accelerate, the braking returns to normal. This weird behaviour is consistent, and happens at least 2-3 times every day.

Has anyone else faced this problem?
Old 7th April 2024, 21:16   #1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdonwheels View Post
When I let go the steering, the steering rotates to the left and the vehicle steers to the left.
There are no wobbles during braking.
It's irritating. I had the exact same problem after a recent 2.4k km trip, just that in my case steering was rotating itself to the right. It was a decent pull, the VW logo used to auto-rotate around 30-45degrees. The odo was at 38k.

Got the alignment done twice, they weren't doing the balancing saying 3/4 tyres had air in them. Gave the same excuse for the car pulling to the right(old tyres). The car shows very mild wobbling on acceleration around 10-15kmph in the 2nd gear. I got the rotation done, even tried a little extra psi on right tyres, yet no luck.

I usually wash the car at home. One random day, I got it pressure washed at a nearby shop (including underbelly) and the issue miraculously dissappeared . I don't know how exactly did that help but you may give it a try 🤞
Old 7th April 2024, 21:59   #1167

I hope everything is going well for you.

I'll divide a piece of writing into a few more categories.

Passion for automobiles:

I'm a genuine auto aficionado from childhood.

It's all started with a car called the Hyundai Santro. Back in the 2000s, when I was studying in school, we lived in a gated community. Life was going on its way, and suddenly I got caught by a new Santro that was parked near to my house. I had no clue who bought it, and when I asked my mom, she told me it was from our neighbor. The turbo kicks in, and I start to cry and ask my father to get a new car on that day itself. It was a three-day cry, and I said I wouldn't go to school unless I got a car. As a typical Indian parent, my father told me, Yes, I'll get you a car, and I anticipated receiving one from him, but it ended up in his used cycle.

Case 1:

Car - Fiat Uno

At times, my father used to borrow his friend's Fiat Uno, and I'd be given the chance to sit and press the horn with my father sitting on the passenger side. One time, I saw him put the key in and crank the engine. At that time, I thought that's what driving is all about and took a chance to sit in a Fiat Uno and did the same, the engine came to life. I was glad that the car was in neutral, and I didn't notice how my dad changed the gears. He noticed the sound and ran towards me, switching off the engine. It went off with a few scoldings from dad. Post that he won't give the car keys.

Case 2:

Car - Fiat Uno

I was not given the car keys, but he will unlock the car. Just let me sit in the driver seat. I steered the wheel from left to right a few more times, and this time I locked the car's steering. I don't know what happened; the steering came to a halt, and I couldn't turn more, so I left it as it was and left the car. I believe it's hydraulic steering, and my dad is not aware of how to unlock it. We were glad that one of our neighbors had an acting driver for his car, so he came and unlocked the steering.

All the cases were closed, and days passed. When we used to travel to my cousin's place by train, when the train crossed Chengalpet, my dad calls me and showed me the Ford factory in with N numbers Ford Ikon parked outside, which gave me another boost.

Days went even faster, and we decided to buy a car in the late 2000's and headed to the Ford showroom, where my father took a test drive of the Ford Figo. Later, for some reason, the plan didn't work out, and it went in vain.

Learning Journey:
  • I learned car driving from driving school, and my friend taught me to drive a geared motorcycle in his father’s TVS Centra.
  • I got my license as per the government norms and used to drive or learn from my relative's Polo TDI and gained confidence.

Buying Journey:

I got placed in a corporate company and decided to take my friend for a test drive.

Renault Duster - It was very well built, and the budget was very huge.

Later, we went to Nexa and didn't have any test drives but got a chance to sit in all their cars. Nothing went as planned, so the buying journey was paused for a couple of years.

Later, I got promoted and decided to buy a new car. I didn't tell anyone, including my dad, but my mom was aware.

S-cross - I liked it, but it didn't connect with me.
Altroz - I didn't get any feel or feedback from the car, but my mom told me it was bigger inside compared to the Polo.
Polo GT TSI - I test drive it, and I got easily connected to the car and the feel was amazing.

Turbo inside me kicked in, and we ended up with a Polo TSI Highline Plus.

On the Noon of the delivery day, I told my father about the new car. He was thrilled, and we headed to the showroom with my family and two relatives, a total of five persons, in two auto.
Neither my father nor I don't have any experience buying cars before. Then, I came across TBHP PDI, and it helped a lot.

Highlights:
  • 1.0 TSI stands out as a machine within its class
  • The Highline Plus variant comes with all the bells and whistles.
  • Cruise control is a lifesaver during highway rides. Engage the cruise, and we'll be at triple-digit speeds in no time.
  • Tinted windows are a godsend feature, especially in summer at this price range, and they work as expected.
  • The VW in-house music system is excellent, and I find it more than sufficient.
  • The Goodyear Assurance rubber, with 195/55/R16, is performing well. I may consider switching brands in the future.
  • Wired Android Auto works without any issues.
  • The stock headlights and cornering lights provide decent visibility at night.
  • The horn is decent.
  • Overall, the fit and finish are good, with no panel gaps or improper fittings.

Maintenence:

When I got the car, I decided not to make any modifications
  • The car is running with factory fittings, and I haven't made any modifications.
  • I'm the primary driver and have operated the vehicle most of the time.
  • I got all the necessary car washing equipment and typically wash the car when traveling out of town or usually once a month.
  • I prefer not to have anyone else wash the car apart from VASS. When using a water wash station, I will watch like a hawk.
  • Up to now, the car has been regularly serviced and maintained at the VASS.
  • I have a preference for smooth, sedate driving.
  • I shift gears promptly and ensure the engine doesn't reach the red line before changing gears.

Current ODO is at 26K
Mileage as per Fuelio - 16.5 KMPL

Hiccups:
  • The rat did its job, and I ended up at VASS. Gladly, it didn't create a big hole in my pocket
  • As a VAG owner, the never-ending story seems to revolve around ABS issues, which surfaced at the 15K mark. I noticed steering vibrations, and one day, the ABS warning lights suddenly tuned on. Visiting VASS, they diagnosed it as an ABS problem. Additionally, they told there is a issue in wheel bearing, which wouldn't be covered under warranty. I was clueless and I have my cousin brother who is well knowledgeable in this area and we connected in conference call with an authorized VASS representative. We detailed the meticulous maintenance history and pointed out that if a wheel bearing failed with such low run, it likely indicated a manufacturing fault. After a heated argument, they conceded to replace the wheel bearing under the dealer's warranty, sparing us any expenses. I urged them to inspect the ABS sensors and bearings on the other wheels as well.
  • The front rotors were skimmed due to the juddering, but the issue is not solved and the juddering is back. Additionally, I've noticed a pinch of noise while braking. I need to replace the rotor, but I'm unsure if opting for a different brand will void the warranty.

I’m one of the happy owner of the Polo TSI and have absolutely no regrets about my decision to buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240407-18.09.35-1.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240407-18.09.35.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240407-18.09.36-1.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240407-18.09.36.jpeg  

igar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 09:14   #1168

Since every shop I'm taking my car to says the tyres have air in them(I experience not much difference driving), I'm looking to replace the stock goodyears (38k kms) with something better this Moday.

The stock size is 185/60 R15. However, not many options are present in that size. Would upgrading to 195/60 R15 cause warranty issues? That seems like the most normal size.

The tyres I've been quoted (priority wise):
- MRF Perfinzas 195/60 R15 '24 @ 5500 a piece
- Michelin P4(ST) 185/65 R15 Dec'23 @ 7500 a piece (negotiable)
- Yokohama Bluearth AE51 185/60 R15 or 195/60 R15 '24 @ ~6500 a piece (predicted)

I'm more confused between the Perfinzas and P4ST. On one hand Perfinzas are dirt cheap and have exceptional grip and reviews, the major issue is they are known to last only ~35k kilometers. I've heard only good things about claiming warranty with MRF

On the other hand, Michelins are the most loved ones here on teambhp, and might last even 60k-70k kms but the warranty stays the biggest concern. And also the fact that tyres would complete their nightmare(run-in) period over the span of two months, and the hottest two months here. Sounds very unfair trade even if one tyre bursts during the run-in, as they're comparatively costly and no money would be returned.

The Yokos seem like a balanced option, but I've read about them being extremely noisy after 20k. My primary goal is a silent life of ~45k, and survivable grip.

I dismissed UC6 as the reviews here said they were too soft and wore out quite quickly. The ride I've heard is comfortable than any other though.

I'd love the opinions of bhpians and fellow polo owners or the first hand reviews of what shoes they're in.

(No Yoko or Michelin authorized dealers are there in the town I live at the moment , closest ones are 90kms)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks