Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2021, 10:41   #286
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Thanks for sharing. What was the additional 519 charge for ?

Also if you do not mind please share the consumables that were changed.

I also have the SMP but still sitting at 7500+ Kms.
Hey,

Hope this helps your query.

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-70b50e98847d40f59403a5f0db8bf07b.jpeg

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 11:12   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmr333 View Post

I took the car from home to visit a shop and the car drove perfectly fine for that distance. When I came back and started the engine, the engine started fine but the EPC warning light was on and the engine was idling around 1100 RPM. What surprised me was that I wasn't able to select the gear from P to D (The MID did not even display the gear selector indicator) and also stepping on the accelerator did nothing, the engine didn't even respond slightly and felt like a disconnected accelerator pedal. I switched off the car and started it again which brought the car back to normal, drove back home and the car behaved absolutely fine.

Any inputs are highly appreciated
Regards!
Such strange issues may be random and difficult to reproduce at the ASC. Hence suggest you to record video on your smartphone when you encounter any issue.

Since your car is new and under warranty, insist on thorough investigation and replacement of relevant modules, if necessary. It could be a faulty electronic control module or as simple as a wire bitten by a rat.

When I searched about ECM fault, I came across the following post:
Quote:
Your EPC Volkswagen warning light, also known as the Electronic Power Control warning light, is an indicator pointing to issues with your Volkswagen’s throttle system.

This could mean that the throttle pedal, throttle body, traction control, or cruise control unit need attention. In some circumstances however that EPC light on a Volkswagen can also indicate other problems with your Volkswagen vehicle that make risking West Des Moines traffic impossible.

That is why you never want to ignore the EPC light VW Jetta models and the other vehicles in the lineup are equipped with. EPC VW Jetta lights typically require the attention of an automotive expert.
Here is the link to the web page which advises as above:
https://www.volkswagenofdesmoines.co...ht-volkswagen/
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 13:02   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Ask Skoda Workshop to scan the ECU and see if there is any error code stored. That would help to understand what exactly happened.

If there is no error code, use the car as you normally would and wait until the issue pops up again which seems unlikely.
Hi el lobo 6061 , I have taken the car to the service center, they have checked for errors and it did not show any, So as you have said will use the car normally and will report if anything pops up in future, Sorry for the late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Such strange issues may be random and difficult to reproduce at the ASC. Hence suggest you to record video on your smartphone when you encounter any issue.

Since your car is new and under warranty, insist on thorough investigation and replacement of relevant modules, if necessary. It could be a faulty electronic control module or as simple as a wire bitten by a rat.

When I searched about ECM fault, I came across the following post:

Here is the link to the web page which advises as above:
https://www.volkswagenofdesmoines.co...ht-volkswagen/
Hey Rahul Bhalgat , Thanks for the reply. I had taken a short clip and shown it to the service center, they didn't take it seriously and told me that bad quality of fuel may have caused it, (I haven't filled up anywhere other than the pumps I normally visit). If the problem comes again I will take it seriously and surely share it here
mmr333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 14:30   #289
BHPian

I completed a 1800 km roundtrip Chennai-Bangalore-Hyderabad in my Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI AT Rider Plus last week. I’d like to share my initial driving experience and general thoughts on the ownership until now.

For the past 3 years I was driving the Renault Captur 1.5L N/A Petrol Engine. The ride was very stable but the rush and the fast acceleration of a turbo motor I was missing. Before that I had the Cruze 2.0L Diesel 170BHP motor which was a rocket. Now coming to the 1.0L TSI AT I am really surprised by how much power is available on tap with this 1.0L motor! I really enjoyed my drive and I am happy with my decision going for this engine. Smooth and fast acceleration with gear shifts happening at the right time the TC is a very good AT box. One of the major factors for me to go for the TSI AT was that this engine is mated to the new Japanese TC which is really smooth auto box and not DSG like in the earlier Rapid’s.

The ride is sturdy on straight roads and in corners too. I consistently did speeds of 120kmph. During the drive between Bangalore-Hyderabad I shifted to Sports mode. Man just WOW this S drive mode is!! The amount of torque it generates just increases and there is super fast acceleration. I loved the sweet sound of the motor. The Sport mode is a revelation for me. There is a beep sound at 80KMPH and again at 100KMPH. From 120KMPH the beep is constant. The entire drive was comfortable. The car returned a mileage of 12kmpl with a mix of highway/city drive on the tank full - tank full method. I guess that is a below par mileage as the speeds were high. The 1.0L TSI motor returns a good mileage in ideal driving conditions. The Bangalore-Hyderabad highway is well laid out super smooth tarmac and the traffic is much less compared to Chennai-Bangalore highway hence I was doing good speeds consistently in an hour I use to cover 90kms average which is good considering on the Chennai-Bangalore highway the average I cover in an hour is only 50kms. I travelled with my family of 4 we had comfortable seating space and the boot space is ample. Overall I am very happy with the initial driving experience with this car. It is great for cruising on highways as well a smooth in bumper to bumper city traffic. I am a regular highway driver so I wanted a sturdy car with a powerful engine which the Rapid provides. The brakes are excellent too as they were put to good use with stray cattle jumping on the highway from the bushy medians all of a sudden!!!

Some pictures from my drive.

Drove past the massive KIA factory 150kms from Bangalore on the Hyderabad highway
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-img_0870.jpg
(S) Rapid
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-img_0899.jpg
Nehru ORR in Hyderabad
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-img_0927.jpg
The Apple Car Play in the Rider Plus head unit is very good.
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-img_0928.jpg

Some other not so good points which I want to highlight is I find the surge between 0-6kms when I take my foot off the brake pedal in D mode bit unsettling especially in tight parking spots. I need to get used to it soon. This has been pointed out in the Auto car review as well.

The steering is a little hard at parking speeds when compared to my secondary car Ford Aspire whose steering is very light. Other Rapid owners can chip in with whether they too are facing similar issue. I have upgraded the tires to Continental 185/55 R16 similar size to the ones that are stock in Style variant.

There is no distance to empty indicator in the Rider Plus variant. I mean what it could have costed Skoda to include that ?! Four way controls of the windows on the driver side door is another glaring omission with only two door controls provided. Driver seat height adjustment is also missing. All these features are there in my Ford Aspire which is also the entry level Trend model I picked up.

I want to add the reverse parking sensor to the existing HU. I have mixed responses from co owners here as one said the wiring is provided its just plug and play. Another owner said the wiring is provided only in the Ambition variant. I checked with Hot tracks in Bangalore they said a Reverse Parking Camera can be added to the existing HU with an interface which in total will cost Rs 6000/-. The camera has to be fitted at the spot where there is the boot light at the rear so no need to drill any hole. I was not sure to get it done in aftermarket so I am thinking of checking with the Skoda Service centre. Their response over the phone is not good at all. They asked to get the car over to check it out.

A bit of good news for Chennai residents is that there is a new Skoda dealer which opened up this month KUN Skoda. So we have more choice and monopoly of Gurudev Motors is ended.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th July 2021 at 15:10. Reason: Typos.
sameer sultan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 23:04   #290
BHPian

Hello fellow Rapid Owner,

My sister took the delivery of a Rapid Rider Plus AT in Mumbai. Have already covered 1100km. A bliss to drive, no complaints there.

Today evening, while starting her return leg home from the office she complained about the car not cranking in one go. Also, Emission control system (ECS) warning light was constantly lit during her drive. I even took it for a spin at night expecting the light to go away after a system reboot but it still persists. There hasn't been any drop in performance.
Please note that it had been raining heavily all day in Navi Mumbai where the car was parked during office hours.

Has anyone faced this issue yet? Can we blame it on the excess moisture in the air which might have triggered the sensor to show a warning?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-81efaaa4e9934857b8ffd37154ece478.jpg  

Gixxy.danger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 12:26   #291
BHPian

Thanks for the review. I am in a bit of dilemma between the Rapid and the Verna. My heart still wants a Rapid though

Quote:
A bit of good news for Chennai residents is that there is a new Skoda dealer which opened up this month KUN Skoda. So we have more choice and monopoly of Gurudev Motors is ended.

This is great news. Will visit them over the weekend. Do you have any tips on how to negotiate a good deal?
Old 16th July 2021, 12:47   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxy.danger View Post
Hello fellow Rapid Owner,

Has anyone faced this issue yet? Can we blame it on the excess moisture in the air which might have triggered the sensor to show a warning?
The primary suspect seems to be the O2 sensor. Can be due to variety of reasons.

You can locate it near / on exhaust manifold. It may be short due to physical damage or rat bite (common during rains). Another reason may be poor fuel quality.

In any case, Contact the Skoda ASS. You may consult a local FNG strictly for visual inspection. Do not let the FNG do any repairs.
R_Gowardhan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 22:23   #293
BHPian

So I went to the Skoda and VW showrooms today and I was being offered the following
- Skoda Rapid Style MT (after discounts) ~ 13 L OTR
- Skoda Rapid Ambition AT (after discounts) ~ 13 L OTR
- VW Vento Highline MT (no discount) - 11.8 L OTR

Can someone confirm if the above prices are expected? I was told by both the Skoda and VW sales rep that the Rapid and Vento productions have stopped completely and it's not due to Kushaq or Taigun. Rather VW and Skoda are planning to launch Virtus and Slavia towards the end of the year.

I am confused now on whether to purchase the Rapid / Vento v/s wait for the newer sedans.
Old 16th July 2021, 23:28   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post

I am confused now on whether to purchase the Rapid / Vento v/s wait for the newer sedans.
It depends on your budget, for 13 lakhs(or maybe the same price as that of the base kushaq) you will get the base variant of the new sedans with the same engine as that of the Vento/rapid. If you just want the same performance and the ride and handling, get the rapid. But if you want a new product and you are ready to extend your budget then wait for the new cars.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 01:03   #295
BHPian

Quote:
I completely understand your confusion. Been there or should I say being there right now.

One of the way I see to solve this is budget. There is no way Skoda is going to price the new sedan at 13L levels.

So if you can wait for a year and ready to plonk near abouts of 20L, you can opt for the new sedan. But if you want a Skoda on a sub 15L budget, your sedan choice is limited to Rapid only. With the way Skoda has priced Kushaq and Octavia, it's a given that any new car from their stable is going to be pricey upfront.
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 10:32   #296
BHPian

Quote:
But if you want a Skoda on a sub 15L budget, your sedan choice is limited to Rapid only. With the way Skoda has priced Kushaq and Octavia, it's a given that any new car from their stable is going to be pricey upfront.
Quote:
It depends on your budget, for 13 lakhs(or maybe the same price as that of the base kushaq) you will get the base variant of the new sedans with the same engine as that of the Vento/rapid. If you just want the same performance and the ride and handling, get the rapid.
Thank you. Couldn't have explained it better myself. This is sole the reason I was looking at the Rapid/Vento.

Now as I said in my earlier post I have an option to choose between the Style MT v/s Ambition AT at a similar price point.

1. I haven't yet TD'ed a manual yet but while examining the car in the showroom I felt that the manual had a deep clutch travel. I am used to driving Hyundais and Hondas so far and the clutch is very knee friendly. How much of an issue is this on the Rapid?

2. I read from the T-BHP review that the Style and Monte Carlo variants get a weird Android tablet as the Infotainment HU and does not get Apple Carplay / Android Auto. Is that still the case, or do they get the normal 6'' HUs that is availabe in Ambition and below that get Android Auto / Apple Carplay?
Old 17th July 2021, 16:28   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Couldn't have explained it better myself. This is sole the reason I was looking at the Rapid/Vento.

Now as I said in my earlier post I have an option to choose between the Style MT v/s Ambition AT at a similar price point.

1. I haven't yet TD'ed a manual yet but while examining the car in the showroom I felt that the manual had a deep clutch travel. I am used to driving Hyundais and Hondas so far and the clutch is very knee friendly. How much of an issue is this on the Rapid?

2. I read from the T-BHP review that the Style and Monte Carlo variants get a weird Android tablet as the Infotainment HU and does not get Apple Carplay / Android Auto. Is that still the case, or do they get the normal 6'' HUs that is availabe in Ambition and below that get Android Auto / Apple Carplay?
Volkswagen cars do have a very long clutch travel and it is hard too, it is one of the major gripes that I have with my car. Regards to automatic vs manual, it's upto you man, take long test drives in traffic conditions and have a feel of the clutch yourself, but considering traffic conditions I would have bought an automatic.

Regarding the touch screen music system, the dealer would swap out the Chinese one if you would insist, I remember reading where people got it replaced with the RCD 340G unit which is the volkswagen standard.
yesyeswe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 18:50   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Gowardhan View Post
The primary suspect seems to be the O2 sensor. Can be due to variety of reasons.

You can locate it near / on exhaust manifold. It may be short due to physical damage or rat bite (common during rains). Another reason may be poor fuel quality.

In any case, Contact the Skoda ASS. You may consult a local FNG strictly for visual inspection. Do not let the FNG do any repairs.
The warning light went away the next morning and hasn't come up since. Will keep the pointers in mind.
Thanks!
Gixxy.danger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 21:22   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Regards to automatic vs manual, it's upto you man, take long test drives in traffic conditions and have a feel of the clutch yourself, but considering traffic conditions I would have bought an automatic.
Did a TD of both the MT and AT variants today and I am completely sold out on the AT! Yes, I have booked a Carbon Steel Ambition AT by paying a token of 10K today. Dealer said that delivery takes about 20 - 25 days. I could well be buying one of the last lots of the Rapid ever made!

Thank you all for the inputs.

Last edited by eyesice : 17th July 2021 at 21:22. Reason: Adding more info
eyesice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 06:53   #300
BHPian

Quote:
This is great news. Will visit them over the weekend. Do you have any tips on how to negotiate a good deal?
Congratulations on booking your Rapid Ambition AT. Hope you got a good deal. Was it with KUN Skoda? How was the experience with the new dealer. Pls share your feedback/Review about them.

Last month when I booked my Rider Plus AT which is the base variant there were no discounts offered. In the Ambition/Onyx/Style you could get discounts of up to 50-70k. I was shopping on a budget hence the Rider Plus AT was my choice. It worked out to around 11LOTR as I did not opt for the essential accessories kit and got 10k off from the listed price of insurance. It is a steal deal at this price you are getting a world class engine mated to a smooth TC gearbox with the solid build of Skoda and an amazing ride.

Last edited by sameer sultan : 18th July 2021 at 07:02. Reason: Update more info.
sameer sultan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks