Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 17:11   #316
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shom View Post
Wow! What a beauty! Congratulations!!

I have a question to all Rapid owners out there. I stay in Gurgaon at a place that gets easily and often flooded during heavy rains, so much that sometimes the water is knee high. I am planning to replace my Swift (petrol, 2015) with an able and possibly better car. Naturally, the Rapid is a strong contender. How is its water wading capabilities? I own a Ciaz too, and during the recent heavy downpour in Gurgaon (end July'21), the water rose to such an extent that the Li-ion smart hybrid battery unit kept below the front passenger seat just conked off. I had to get a new one fitted from the dealer.

I am aware that my question might sound stupid. After all, with such water logging problem, you would say, why go for a sedan at all ? But the Rapid is capable of doing this to you. So, I would love to hear from anyone who can instruct me on this.
Rapid GC is ~163 mm. Ciaz is ~170. Decide for yourself
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:25   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shom View Post
Wow! What a beauty! Congratulations!!

I have a question to all Rapid owners out there. I stay in Gurgaon at a place that gets easily and often flooded during heavy rains, so much that sometimes the water is knee high. I am planning to replace my Swift (petrol, 2015) with an able and possibly better car. Naturally, the Rapid is a strong contender. How is its water wading capabilities? I own a Ciaz too, and during the recent heavy downpour in Gurgaon (end July'21), the water rose to such an extent that the Li-ion smart hybrid battery unit kept below the front passenger seat just conked off. I had to get a new one fitted from the dealer.

I am aware that my question might sound stupid. After all, with such water logging problem, you would say, why go for a sedan at all ? But the Rapid is capable of doing this to you. So, I would love to hear from anyone who can instruct me on this.
If I remember correctly, a lot of VAG cars were written off by the service centers after flooding because the cost of repairs exceeded IDV and in certain cases, the cost of the car itself during the 2015 Chennai floods.

Your best bet is to ask any neighbour who has a VAG group car which might have been flooded and their experience with it getting repaired at the ASC

If you think you wouldn't have the time or space to move the car to a safer location, look away!

In fact I would suggest you a Brezza or the like with high ground clearance and minimum electronics. I believe you needed a crossover/ jacked up SUV to keep the costs due to flood damage at a minimum.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 08:03   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
If you think you wouldn't have the time or space to move the car to a safer location, look away!

In fact I would suggest you a Brezza or the like with high ground clearance and minimum electronics. I believe you needed a crossover/ jacked up SUV to keep the costs due to flood damage at a minimum.
Thanks! Makes a lot of sense. In fact, I have a Ford ES booked; but am not sure any longer, what with the rumours and DPF issues. I guess Brezza might be a safer bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Rapid GC is ~163 mm. Ciaz is ~170. Decide for yourself
Aahh... the constant struggle between the head and the heart.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th August 2021 at 08:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 11th August 2021, 10:32   #319
BHPian

I lived in Gurgaon for 2 years and yes the drainage is pathetic. I was also stuck in the famous Sohna Road water-logging and traffic jam incident in 2017. I was driving Swift Dzire then and even it used to get impacted by potholes.
I am not sure what might happen to Rapid.

But yeah heart over head is the situation with this car. I bought this car in Bangalore (though not living there due to pandemic) where there are no roads .

If your budget allows go for something like Harrier.
Old 14th August 2021, 18:05   #320
BHPian

Guys can anyone please comment on the long term durability of the 1 Litre Turbo Petrol (The ones being used in Kushaq). Is it a safe bet considering we might keep the vehicle for more than 10 years. The driving style will be sedated driving within city mostly and occasional highway trips. Is it worth or should we better go for a NA engine. The vehicle will be driven by my dad alone . Just FYI.
Old 14th August 2021, 19:59   #321
BHPian

Dear All,

I wish to buy Rapid AT . This has been a long wish for me. Can you please clarify few questions for me?

1. Can anyone from Bangalore suggest which would be the good dealer to count on to get a good deal among TAFE (HSR Layout, St.Marks Road), PPS Skoda and Raja Skoda.
2. Should I go for insurance from outside or buy from dealer?
3. What accessories are worth buying for Onyx variant from the dealer (one I can think of is the rear camera)
4. Can I have a bigger size infotainment screen fitted from showroom itself (like the one found in Style/Montecarlo variants)
5. What all can I bargain from what is being offered ?

I intend to keep car for long time (> 7 years at least), am I making the right choice considering this aspect ?

Any suggestions/tips are welcome. Thank you

Last edited by blrboy : 14th August 2021 at 20:01.
Old 15th August 2021, 01:41   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Dear All,

I wish to buy Rapid AT . This has been a long wish for me. Can you please clarify few questions for me?

1. Can anyone from Bangalore suggest which would be the good dealer to count on to get a good deal among TAFE (HSR Layout, St.Marks Road), PPS Skoda and Raja Skoda.
2. Should I go for insurance from outside or buy from dealer?
3. What accessories are worth buying for Onyx variant from the dealer (one I can think of is the rear camera)
4. Can I have a bigger size infotainment screen fitted from showroom itself (like the one found in Style/Montecarlo variants)
5. What all can I bargain from what is being offered ?

I intend to keep car for long time (> 7 years at least), am I making the right choice considering this aspect ?

Any suggestions/tips are welcome. Thank you

1. Enquire with all 3 dealers, and bargain hard to get the best deal.

2. Buy insurance from outside, or ask the dealer to match the offer.

4. From what I've heard, the infotainment system from the style/montecarlo variants is worse compared to the system in the entry variants.

Goodluck

Oh, and also keep in mind that Skoda may stop production of Rapid soon (not really sure on that).
Frostbite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 23:07   #323
BHPian

I was told by one of the local dealer in Bangalore today that only AT variants are available in RAPID. One of the dealer told me that Oynx is not available anymore in either variants (MT or AT).

With Oynx AT coming to around 14.55 on road in Bangalore, I am not sure if this is worth spending that much money. My budget is ONLY 15 lakhs for any new car. Is it worth spending more than 12 lakhs for the outgoing RAPID, especially if I intend to keep it for more than 7-8 years?

I am also not sure of the maintenance costs that I need to be aware for RAPID AT cars.

Can any one suggest based on the above?

Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:33   #324
BHPian

Hi All Rapid TSI owners, I am part of a rapid owners club on whatsapp and in the last couple of weeks i have seen that a lot of TSI owners have been called to come into the dealership for software update. They are not calling all TSI cars in for update and seems like the impact is isolated to a few VIN's. Is anyone here who got the update done?

The reason I am posting here is some of the owners who enquired have told me that the software update is regarding the EPC module update. I also own a Manual Rapid TSI Ambition and had an ECU failure with 5 months of ownership. you can read the thread here - link (Help needed | Rat damage to my car & ECM damaged | Insurance company blames dealership). I have seen a lot of owners from my whatsapp groups dealing with the EPC light coming on, I am guessing somehow these issues and this update are related. Skoda has kept this very hush hush and I have reached out to Zack seeking more information. I will update this thread when I hear more.
Old 20th August 2021, 15:38   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Rider Plus doesn't have wiring for reverse camera so you wont be able to fit the OEM one. It is only available in Ambition/Onyx where the OEM camera will be plug and play.

OEM reverse camera is for INR9600 as per the price on the item. I got for mine for the same price as well.
After a lot of research in this forum and visiting a few aftermarket car accessories shops in Chennai and Bangalore and receiving no response from KUN Skoda and Gurudev Motors saying not possible to fix, I was finally able to find and install the reverse parking camera with integration in the OEM system of my Skoda Rapid Rider Plus at Car Trendz Bangalore.Total cost ₹6500/-.

The camera display starts as soon as the reverse gear is engaged.Once the reverse gear is disengaged the OEM screen takes 7 seconds to switch from the camera display to apple car play display. The shop person said it’s normal as the delay is there in units which they have fixed in Polo/Vento earlier.

The camera was installed in the casing on the boot which is already provided in the car.
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-7a60d30e68c944d2b867194928b53982.jpeg
Radio Camera Interface for VW/Skoda
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-593b388bd5ba483da3e6af542926c2f4.jpeg
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-7c000a65c5e34b8f8c58db0b48fdf461.jpeg
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-e05f1d32f15e4c83a08593074d5454a9.jpeg
The display is bright
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-610333b762994c1da18f277b2681baaf.jpeg
sameer sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 15:54   #326
BHPian

Dear All,

I have booked RAPID Onyx AT and awaiting delivery of the same. Can you please clarify on these for me?

1. What are covered under essential kit? Is it worth buying and again is it worth buying from the dealer?

2. Should I go for Skoda Insurance (without add-ons like driver assurance elite/economy) or should I go for purchasing insurance from outside? Will going for insurance with dealer bring in any added advantage as compared to purchasing it from outside (e.g. digit)

3. For Onyx variant, what additional accessories are really worth buying from the dealer (e.g. reverse camera ??) itself and what are worth buying / fitted from outside shops in Bangalore. Any suggestions for good trustworthy shops in Bangalore for purchasing and fitting the accessories.

5.Few I have in mind are
a) Blacken the roof top (i understand Onyx doesn't come with blackened rooftop). Also, is it good to have or will it bring additional heat into the cabin?

b) I wanted to fix white LED bulbs to the projector lamp? What would you suggest? Is it possible to fix this with the dealer ?

6) Can anyone share the spare parts list along with price for Skoda rapid?

Any reply would be very helpful. Thanks !
Old 21st August 2021, 20:33   #327
BHPian

Quote:
1. What are covered under essential kit? Is it worth buying and again is it worth buying from the dealer?
Essential Kit covers :-
  • Floor mats
  • Rear windows and quarter glasses sun-blinds
  • 2 x Memory Foam Pillows
  • Mud-Flaps
I personally like the quality and fit-finish of products, but definitely not worth the cost.

Quote:
2. Should I go for Skoda Insurance (without add-ons like driver assurance elite/economy) or should I go for purchasing insurance from outside? Will going for insurance with dealer bring in any added advantage as compared to purchasing it from outside (e.g. digit)
Skoda Insurance sans add-on is only comprehensive. If the premium is the barrier, best to get zero dep insurance from outside. Bajaj Alliance has tie-ups with all the authorised service centres.

Quote:
3. For Onyx variant, what additional accessories are really worth buying from the dealer (e.g. reverse camera ??) itself and what are worth buying / fitted from outside shops in Bangalore. Any suggestions for good trustworthy shops in Bangalore for purchasing and fitting the accessories.
If reverse camera is same as Style variant, then you may get it fitted. Reverse Camera in my Rapid Style is one of the best I have experienced till date, it has wide angle and good clarity in low light.
Can’t comment on aftermarket reverse camera as I don’t have first hand experience.

Quote:
b) I wanted to fix white LED bulbs to the projector lamp? What would you suggest? Is it possible to fix this with the dealer ?
Headlight bulbs upgrade is strongly advised, as stock is of not much use. HID has amazing output, but ASC might not be happy and will make you sign for this particular mod on paper. LED is 80% of HID, but no fuss with ASC. I have fitted dhc 4300K LED in my Rapid Style.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 23:38   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post

Skoda Insurance sans add-on is only comprehensive. If the premium is the barrier, best to get zero dep insurance from outside. Bajaj Alliance has tie-ups with all the authorised service centres.
Really ? I got mine from Reliance through dealership and it is zero dep.
Old 22nd August 2021, 00:20   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Really ? I got mine from Reliance through dealership and it is zero dep.
When I had purchased the car back in 2017, Bajaj insurance was comprehensive and zero package was from Skoda, termed as of Drive Assurance.
Not sure if it has changed in recent times.
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:20   #330
BHPian

GautamJ, Thanks much for your inputs. This is very helpful
blrboy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed