Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2020, 22:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Crisp review. Hearing rave reviews about the Rapid TSI's 1.0-litre engine. Need to get behind the wheel to experience it myself.

Regarding the buggy 8-inch infotainment system, I actually heard that it's a dealer-level fitment. As stock, Skoda ships the Rapid Monte Carlo with the smaller 6.5-inch infotainment system which is leagues better than the Android unit.Once the Rapid reaches dealerships, the dealer takes out the smaller unit and replaces it with the bigger unit. I even found an Instagram post supporting my case, but missing it now

But if that is the case, then I guess one could ask the dealer to leave as it is and live with the smaller infotainment system right which is leagues better and features Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Guess someone close to Skoda dealers can confirm this.
Aniruthan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 23:04   #17
BHPian

I think its will be a good buy for people who love petrol performance, manual gearbox, but on a tight budget or do not want to spend a lot of money. AND, its safe for those highway trips.

Having said that, If I were to buy one, would prefer only 'Rider Plus' variant or can go to max 'Ambition' variant. Spending more than 11.5 lakhs on a dated model is not something I would be comfortable with.

At 9-9.5 lakhs on road I will not care about missing features in Rider Plus variant, that are present on the Ambition variant, some of which can be installed. Like - Fog lamps, Alloy wheels. Not sure if mirror folding can be activated later on.

At 9.5 lakhs on road for a safe and enthusiastic petrol car, which is a 'Sedan' and has 'Skoda' snob value, its a steal.
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 10:02   #18

I got my Rapid rider delivered a couple of weeks back and don't miss a single opportunity to take it for a drive. I drove it in the night for the first time yesterday and found the stock headlamps absolutely underwhelming. To tell you that I found the throw very inadequate would be a gross understatement.

I am curious if others who have the rider variant faced the same issue and have replaced its headlamps. Also interested in hearing what options are available!
Squanderer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 10:54   #19
BHPian

It’s a tragedy that such a competent and fun car is let down by the parent companies equally if not more incompetent and down right fraud drought after sales.

I had advised this to a few of my friends only to retract reading Skoda horror stories in this forum.

This car has limited use cases.

1. Young person , not married yet and can spend time and effort in service center. Rider is great VFM.

2. Second or third car in the family where the other one is a reliable car.

Definitely not the primary car owing to after sales headaches and long downtime’s.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 11:47   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the crisp review Aditya & GTO

Back to office after a short vacation and the 1.0 TSI motor review welcomed me.

Since it's an age old product I would only pick the Rider/Rider+ variant just for it's driving pleasure. Get any color from those variants and blacken the roof and all chromes, perfect!
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 11:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

The seat covers are horrible! The effort into a sporty looks makes in seem quite cheap.

Alloys are not pleasant to look at as well.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 7.49 - 11.79 lakhs (ex-Delhi).
Thanks for the splendid review @Aditya & team. Rating it worthy 5 stars as always.

I like this car. I'm one of the (large) group that doesn't mind the 10 year old platform much. The car is alright, does things well with safety & style. The understated looks are indeed timeless. I also love the black interiors.

The Clubber alloys are not 100% new since similar design has been seen in other cars from the group. But - it looks fabulous. One of the better OEM alloys out there right now I must say. On the looks - I always liked the Rapid's looks over that of the Vento. And that continues.

What a bummer @the Android head unit. Having recently installed a Chinese Android head unit as a DIY - its disappointing that the OEM one in Rapid is this bad. The one I installed works flawless & is a joy to use. It seems the car's CANbus-Integration & Skoda customizations put into the Android unit in the RAPID aren't too slick. Hopefully software updates in next 6 months will resolve these matters. With an Android head unit that supports a hot-spot, I don't think Android Auto / Apple car play are a necessity. You can simply install the apps you need on the head unit itself instead of Android Auto mirroring them onto the screen. Works just as well.

I'm convinced that the 1.0 TSI is a good engine having seen all these user reviews & now the TBHP official review as well. However, something in my heart as well as head, doesn't let me fully like a small 1 liter 3 cylinder petrol engine. Be it in an Alto or in an EcoSport even. Something about symmetry & displacement is a roadblock. Anyway - to those who don't have this prejudice, surely this engine is a fun to drive machine!

Its good to have a rock solid, stylishly designed German engineered C2 car in this segment. A segment that is otherwise all about light east Asian build, fluidic styles & fuel efficiency.

Last edited by Reinhard : 5th August 2020 at 12:01.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:52   #23
BHPian

I liked how 'Regular Deepak' has replaced the 'Average Joe'. Inspired by swadesi movement maybe?

Interestingly Rapid which is now considered the best handling car by a distance in the segment was a 'good handler' few years back. Linea Tjet and Fiesta brothers were the benchmark then. C segment clearly moving towards the comfort.
Turbokick is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
At 80 km/h, a single beep is sounded and a warning pops up in the MID. Cross 120 km/h and the beeping becomes continuous. Strangely, even at 120 km/h, it still showed "80" in the MID. Skoda can chuckle and say that 120 km/h feels like 80 due to the Rapid's solid stability
It is because of the Speed limit function which can be set. I had it on the GT at 60 kmph which used to be pathetic. Had to read the manual and get it out of the box. Dont know if that function is still available in the newer ones!

Average Deepak a move towards Atmanirbhar? Offensive as per me. You can use average babubhai (herapheri fame) for a not so common name

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 5th August 2020 at 13:01.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:14   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
It is because of the Speed limit function which can be set. I had it on the GT at 60 kmph which used to be pathetic. Had to read the manual and get it out of the box. Dont know if that function is still available in the newer ones!
The 80kmph and 120kmph speed warning is Govt. mandated and no ways to remove or disable it at all. It's for all cars sold in India for last 1 year.
Old 5th August 2020, 13:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I liked how 'Regular Deepak' has replaced the 'Average Joe'. Inspired by swadesi movement maybe?
... Linea Tjet and Fiesta brothers were the benchmark then. C segment clearly moving towards the comfort.
How I wish this 'Rapid' came with an autobox. Would have been a complete package for an enthusiast. It has everything else going for it, be it the engine, chassis, brakes or safety! Vento Tsi comes close, but its more like a family car.

And btw, do not forget we need to be Vocal for Deepak, who is a Local
Mynameis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:54   #27
BHPian

Great review! Having just picked up the Vento TSI (essentially the same car), I can already vouch for the ride, handling of this platform. And the 1.0 litre TSI is a G.E.M., no two ways about it. This side of 10 lakhs, this is now my favorite car.

Also, my car is giving me a solid 12-13 kmpl in Delhi traffic right on the first tankfull till now, so I am hopeful that I can extract some great mileage out of this car if I do not get carried away and floor the pedal too often!
SuvidC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:21   #28
BHPian

Quick questions for those who have already driven the car. How does the experience compare with 1.6 Tdi? I'm loathe to let go of my Vento since I just can't find anything that comes remotely close to the experience (combined effect of ride quality, engine performance and torque delivery). Any in one of the images (the USB / Aux slots inside glove box) the quality of plastics looked way poorer than my 2012 Vento. Any reviews on that? I'm in a fix. Keeping my 120K driven Vento or Doing an interim upgrade (I want to buy something for 5 odd years before I can start thinking about a proper EV). Don't mind keeping the 1.6, have upgraded the HU and just did a Mumbai-Jaipur run without so much as a twitch! But the car has suffered quite few dings and I can't find a body-shop that'd do it without me selling an organ or two; add: 10-yr metro Diesel rule )
Old 5th August 2020, 15:31   #29
BHPian

Thank you for the crisp review. Rated it 5 stars

Have to hand it to VAG India for milking an older platform for more than a decade, while still making some of the most exciting drives in the segment. Only the aftermarket-ish HU and seat covers (on the Monte Carlo) look out of place. Wish our markets accepted and OEMs provided premium fabric trimmed seats instead of these cheesy ones.

Quote:
Technical Data on the VW / Skoda 1.0L TSI Petrol

The 1.0L TSI engine is now oriented with the exhaust manifold and turbocharger positioned behind the engine block, and closer to the bulkhead. This rotation helps in effectively dissipating heat generated from the exhaust manifold and prevents it from lingering in the engine bay while the car is on the move, effectively ensuring that intake air temperatures are kept in check despite the weather or repeated flogging. The new engine also has an intercooler to cool the intake temperatures (similar to the outgoing engine).

Production of the 1.0 TSI engine began 5 years back. VAG brought it here only thanks to BS6. TSI stands for Turbocharged Stratified Injection:
I believe the picture here is of the older EA111 TSI (1.2?).

Quote:
The 1.0 TSI engine comes with direct petrol injection, a turbocharger with electric charge pressure positioner, camshafts driven via a toothed belt, cylinder head with integrated exhaust manifold..
I believe the EA111 1.2TSI had a timing chain instead of a belt. Haven't heard of them to be notorious for failing unlike the EA888 Gen1/Gen2 1.8/2.0 TSI engines, but I guess in the long term ownership or while tuning, something worthwhile for the owners to keep in mind. Seeing that the coolant pump drive is completely separated (if not mistaken, on the gearbox side of the engine), replacement costs should be relatively reasonable.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you are able to keep it under 6,500 rpm on an empty road like this, please ping me & I'll send you a lifetime achievement award

@ BHPians, if you can, then wait a bit. This is an old model and F-A-T discounts will follow in the coming months.
Even though roads are empty like this, I drive around 100 only. I enjoy my drive at that speed where i can enjoy my music and surroundings as well. Also I don't believe others to drive safely on our roads, so better drive safe.

Waiting to see discounts on Rapid. I guess in the month of December we can see maximum discounts.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed