Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2022, 12:43   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage_sandman View Post
Hello Fellow Team BHPians,
This is my first post on Team BHP and I look forward to hearing from you all. I booked Tata Harrier Kaziranga edition (2 weeks ago) and I the wait game is on. I read some posts on this thread where few BHPians have complained about major lapses during the PDI. I have two questions in mind:

1. Specifically for Tata Harrier model, does someone have a checklist that I can use for the PDI (it has been 8 years since i have bought a new vehicle - last one was Swift Zdi in 2014). Hoping to get some tips here.

2. When there are major issues noted during PDI ("check engine on"/"bonnet misalignment" etc) - isn't there an option to reject the vehicle? I am wondering why would one be forced to accept a brand new vehicle with flaws. What is the usual protocol to reject here?

Happy and safe riding.
1. I have posted the PDI Checklist I used when I did the PDI of my Harrier. It may help you. You can access it here.

2. Yes, you can reject the car if you face any serious issues. You can reject the car any time till the dealer starts the registration paperwork, but be ready to stand your ground firmly because the dealer will usually use all tricks in his arsenal to convince you to take the car.

--Anoop
theexperthand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 22:11   #1517
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 Harrier Diesel AT Test Drive

Took a Test Drive of the Harrier Diesel AT today:

12km Test Drive (6 in the local traffic, 6 on the highway)

Positives:
- Potent engine, acceptable NVH (for a diesel)
- Good Gearbox, 6 speed Torque Converter is smooth and works well, never felt in the wrong gear or hunting during this short TD, did not try the manual mode, so can't comment on shift speeds, manual mode may not be generally necessary. A spirited long drive should help confirm this, I was not pushing the car at all (primarily due to lousy steering, more on this in the negatives below)
- Engine + GB combo is better than the one in Hexa
- Tall seating position, very likeable for all SUV fanboys (I am not one)
- Cruise Control (did not try this but this a must, I use it a lot in my cars)
- 6 Airbags (didn't try these )
- ABS, Traction Control, Hill Hold, Hill Descent Control (didn't try these either)

Negatives:
- Steering: very light and remains so even at highway speeds. Simple lane changes at legal highway speeds felt scary, even U turns within city felt loose
- Brakes: felt weak, understood later from the sales person that it gets drums at the rear! Drum brakes, in a 24L car? Really??
- Suspension: ride was unsettled, routine potholes and speedbreakers were transmitted into the cabin, not as harshly as in the Thar but the ride was far from plush, even the 330i absorbs road irregularities better! Also, experienced some steering kickback across potholes, not as nasty as in the Thar but still quite annoying.
- Torque steer: even with a light foot there was frequent torque steer, very irritating. During U turns in stop and go traffic also it torque steers and this coupled with super light steering spoils the driving experience.
- Rear middle seat gets lap belt instead of proper 3 point one
- Rear seat recline angle not adjustible
- GNCAP rating?

Overall, quite disappointing. The steering is a clear deal-breaker and it's a big risk factor IMO.

Note: The Sales People of the dealership (Panchajanya motors) were very nice and prompt, brought the vehicle to my place within an hour of making the phone call and it was a very good experience. A big thanks to the dealership and the Sales Representative!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 24th June 2022 at 22:19.
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 00:48   #1518
Senior - BHPian

I’m driving the Safari XZA+ for the past few days. My car was Aspire Diesel. Must say that the steering is heavier at slower speeds but the turns are sharper than Aspire. Yes, it takes effort to get used to. Coming to brakes, those are super soft & again it takes effort to get used to. But I had a scare courtesy of a lane hogger & another street hawk & the Safari didn’t lose the tail.

On the other points that you have mentioned, I can agree with all. To be honest I’m enjoying the drives & my passengers discovering features.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th June 2022 at 07:10. Reason: Too many mistakes, please proofread before posting.
CARDEEP is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th June 2022, 02:41   #1519
BHPian

Hi folks,

I have booked Harrier XTA+ and currently awaiting delivery of the vehicle however, what makes me revisit my decision is uncertainty around high speed steering feel of harrier. Currently, from where I stand harrier fits my requirement to T and I am getting the car at a very good price but, I would like to request current harrier owners to provide me some feedback if possible. Is the light steering really an issue or is it something you can get used to?
For e.g in case of taking corners at a decent speed or if you have to manuver your vehicle in case of an emergency situation at high speed how confidence inspiring it is?

I currently own a Honda city and sometimes drive my wife’s polo TSI. These two cars have excellent high speed steering feedback and this makes me skeptical regarding harrier’s steering feedback on highways.

Thank you!
Old 26th June 2022, 09:35   #1520
BHPian

I have the Jetta TDI that weighs up in steering well. I recently bought the Harrier XZA which was the only one that seemed to tick the boxes that I had. The steering IS light but I believe its something that one has to get used to.

Moreover, the main thing to note is that this is an SUV and a decently large one at that. So, it should never be driven in a manner and speeds as you would, a sedan.
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 15:47   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh Chengalp View Post
I have the Jetta TDI that weighs up in steering well. I recently bought the Harrier XZA which was the only one that seemed to tick the boxes that I had. The steering IS light but I believe its something that one has to get used to.

Moreover, the main thing to note is that this is an SUV and a decently large one at that. So, it should never be driven in a manner and speeds as you would, a sedan.

Thank you for your response, Dinesh. I would definitely need to get used to the steering and Harrier seems to be ticking all the right and mandatory boxes for me.
But, coming from a Jetta do you find it unnerving?

I went through other ownership reviews as well and most of the owners have been praising ride and feel of harrier but pointing out the lightness in steering. Hence, my confusion because I don't want to spend a huge chunk of money and then loose out on enjoyment factor while driving the car. xuv700's steering wasn't aces either.
Old 27th June 2022, 06:58   #1522
BHPian

BlueNinja: Actually, I don't feel like zipping in the H like I have confidence in the Jetta because of the size. To be fair, I'm running in the Harrier (at 900k) and haven't crossed 100 and at those speeds, it's fine, but definitely light. I reserve my judgement since the reviews also mention hard steering at low speeds, but that is not an issue since at parking speeds, one needs to steer only when the car is in motion.

My theory is that light steering might help avoid obstacles better at sane speeds. Everyone already reviewed high speed and light steering. This is a subjective topic based on skill, familiarity and speed. I don't plan to drive this SUV at high speeds so I'm okay with this behaviour. Will definitely try some high speed with lane changes to understand behaviour as soon as the running in is done.
Old 27th June 2022, 08:42   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Hi folks,

I have booked Harrier XTA+ and currently awaiting delivery of the vehicle however, what makes me revisit my decision is uncertainty around high speed steering feel of harrier.

Thank you!
2 day old Harrier owner here. Took delivery on a Saturday morning and I covered about 350 kms over the weekend. I did not push the car beyond 100 kph(very very difficult to control the right foot . The car is very eager to go way beyond 100).
I remembered all the comments about steering feel at high speeds and tested slightly wiggling it at 100 kph. I felt it weighed up perfectly. I think the steering feel very subjective and in my opinion, its a very small variable. The vehicle has a lot more to offer. It has been super enjoyable so far.
tracerspiff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 18:04   #1524
BHPian

Okay, you guys can call me a hypocrite now. 2 months ago, after dealing with extended delays after booking, I swore to myself that I would never purchase a Tata ever and here is my Harrier XZA. Finished the PDI today and awaiting delivery in a few days.

Just couldn't find a better alternative to replace the Harrier from my heart.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier_pdi.png

One question, apart from mud flaps and floor mats, is it worth purchasing any of the other accessories from the dealer? Keeping the car chrome-free right now.
elroydsilva is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 09:52   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
Okay, you guys can call me a hypocrite now. 2 months ago, after dealing with extended delays after booking, I swore to myself that I would never purchase a Tata ever and here is my Harrier XZA. Finished the PDI today and awaiting delivery in a few days.

One question, apart from mud flaps and floor mats, is it worth purchasing any of the other accessories from the dealer? Keeping the car chrome-free right now.
Congratulations!!! Wish you a hassle-free delivery and countless happy miles.

I would say, please stay away from the mats too. You will get good quality 7D mats that offer much better coverage than the Tata OEM mats. Do look for a good boot mat too.

One OEM accessory I got was sill plates - I found them much better than the aftermarket options.

--Anoop
theexperthand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 11:49   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Congratulations!!! Wish you a hassle-free delivery and countless happy miles.

--Anoop
Thanks, Anoop! Happy to be part of the ever-growing Harrier community!

Might be a psychological thing or maybe Tata's rocketing sales, but I see Harriers everywhere these days.

I will skip the mats then. I have some accessory stores in mind that I will visit and see if I find something good.

For now, will just get the mudflaps and sill plates if they have them.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 14:52   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

I have booked Harrier XTA+ and currently awaiting delivery of the vehicle however, what makes me revisit my decision is uncertainty around high speed steering feel of harrier. Currently, from where I stand harrier fits my requirement to T and I am getting the car at a very good price but, I would like to request current harrier owners to provide me some feedback if possible. Is the light steering really an issue or is it something you can get used to?

Thank you!
There is no issue with the steering at higher speeds. It works perfectly fine. Don't worry about it. It is light but it keeps the car on the path where "you" want it to go. We did some 4500 km drive recently and at places, we did speeds that cannot be mentioned here, Harrier did just fine. No complaints.
Congratulations and enjoy your new ride.
ambujlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 15:09   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
There is no issue with the steering at higher speeds. It works perfectly fine. Don't worry about it. It is light but it keeps the car on the path where "you" want it to go. We did some 4500 km drive recently and at places, we did speeds that cannot be mentioned here, Harrier did just fine. No complaints.
Congratulations and enjoy your new ride.
Thank you for your feedback and congratulations on your harrier dark edition. Your review gave me the strength and hope that everything will be good and i went ahead with booking amidst negative reviews of the car.

However, i saw ScorpioN (Napoli black) yesterday and i think i have found my soul mate i will TD on 5th and if everything goes as per my liking i will zero in on that. Infact gave my documents for booking to dealer as well.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 28th June 2022 at 15:10.
Old 28th June 2022, 15:42   #1529
BHPian

Quote:

However, i saw ScorpioN (Napoli black) yesterday and i think i have found my soul mate i will TD on 5th and if everything goes as per my liking i will zero in on that. Infact gave my documents for booking to dealer as well.
Oh, fantastic! Congratulations. I upgraded from TUV so I can understand the love for high-seating SUVs. I hope they have sorted the body roll and the ride quality.
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:31   #1530
BHPian

Seeing the recent Harrier engine failure thread of a fellow BHPian, I have this question - How much idling vibration is acceptable for a new Harrier? When I did the PDI of my car, I could see a good amount of steering vibration but I thought it's natural to some extent. Have even seen Innova steering vibrate. The test drive cars too had similar vibrations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks