Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2022, 19:23   #1561
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Hello All,

My first post here would be my experience with purchase of the Tata Harrier XTA+ #Dark Edition from Lakshmi Tata - OMR, Chennai.
I started my enquiries with them in Early April 2022.
I was informed that they have been given an official message from TAMO saying the declared waiting period for the Tata Harrier was "within" 45 days.
I told Mr. Praveen (the Sales executive) that I will revert in July when I get back to India.

In July I had narrowed down my choice to the Harrier.
The other prospective cars being Compass, XUV700, Hector, Triber and the Creta/Seltos twins.
I was specifically looking for a 5-seater btw.

A lot has already been said on this forum about why each one of the above should not be considered but let me put it from my perspective.

Compass - Expensive, felt small inside.
XUV 700 - I don't intend to wait 12 months and the AX5 has almost half the goodies missing.
Hector = China and didn’t really like the shape of it in general.
Triber - Whiny engine
Creta / Seltos - Good but very very overdone (every 2nd SUV on the roads is one of these) and the waiting period.

I went for the Harrier XTA+ because I did not feel the necessity of the added goodies on XZA+ like Cooled seats, connected car tech, shark fin antenna, 9" display (with almost same functions as the 7" one - except Wireless Carplay), diamond cut wheels (in fact I much preferred the dark grey alloy Wheels). The Sunroof on the XTA+ was the icing on the cake.

The purchase experience was very VERY smooth and all the TATA employees there were very cordial and importantly "truthful" about the status of my purchase.

I was again told that waiting period 45 days, once booked.
But 2 days later, I got a call from Mr. Praveen that they have open stock of 1 XTA+ #Dark model and if I make the booking, delivery can be effected within 12 working days.
I firstly checked the Chassis number and found that it was Manufactured in June 2022. So that, was good and the ODO had just 32kms on it.

I booked on 1st Aug and took delivery on 11th August on the "August “occasion of Avani Avittam / Raksha Bandhan.

I managed 2 PDIs one before making the payment on 6th at the stock yard (in the evening) and one prior registration on 9th at the showroom itself.
Thanx to the 2 PDI checklists on team-bhp.

All said and done self, and my family are really impressed with the purchase experience.
The sales executives were well informed, and any queries addressed by WhatsApp/directly over phone were answered within the working day.
This after all the negative reviews that I have been reading (and seeing) about TATA showroom experiences.
Personally, I for one was not expecting 5-star treatment at the showroom or that the sales executive should be talking to be in "Shudh Shakahari English" or a cute lady at the reception as long as the personnel that me (and my family) interacted with treated us cordially and that they knew what they were selling. And. That aspect was met.
I went for the extended warranty package 2+1 (2 years manufacturers and 1 year extended).
I enquired and found that for a small increase in the price, I could go for further extending the warranty next year – which I opted for.
So in effect I will purchase an additional +2 years extended warranty (total 2+3 - 5 yrs) next year but I end up paying around 2-3k extra for that which I don’t mind.

After market treatment:
After the purchase I stuck to a Rs1 lac budget to "upgrade" the car to my expectations. Following was done keeping in mind
1. The car will be driven by my wife (who is an accomplished driver)
2. With dog and child
3. And also, my Ex-Navy Father would be driving it occasionally for his Golf trips to Kodaikanal/Ooty/ Coonoor etc.

Mudflaps + Tata Branded Carpets - Installed FOC at the Showroom, paid prior purchase - installed at the showroom

Following were Done at Lakshmi Tata Showroom prior delivery.
1. Front Parking Sensors - Given that we were upgrading from Jazz the consensus was that we could not see the ‘front of the car’
2. Boot Matting – came with the Harrier Logo
3. The “Omega Arc” OE Scuff Plates
4. Harrier Mascot on the front of the Bonnet
5. Rear Boot Garnish – prevent scratches on the boot lip.
Further, I paid additionally for the car to be topped up with Fuel and DEF on delivery so that my first trip out of the showroom would not be to a Fuel Station.

Following were Done at Carspark, OMR post-delivery (the very next day).
1. OSRAM HID – replaced the Projector H7 halogen bulbs.
2. Garware PPF Partial – Front and Rear Fenders and Side panels (not doors), Bonnet, Door Handle recess, All door Edges, ORVMs
3. Ceramic Coating for Front Windscreen
4. Window Tint – 3M CR70 for the Front windscreen, Wurth 70% transparency for all other glass areas.
5. Underbody and Silencer 5Y coating
6. Interior Flooring – GFx 5D mats – 3 pieces – one each for the front footwells and one combined for the rear
7. C-Track Side Steps – would make it easier for my mother and MIL to climb into the car.
8. Shark fin Antenna
As you would notice most of the items are functional. Not so much relating to looks or comfort as I felt the car already looks good and is comfortable as well.

Next in line upgrades
1. Maxxlink H7 LED for the high beam
2. Footwell lighting or ambient lighting – still looking at options.
3. Leather or Faux Leather covers for the seats
4. Better lighting in the boot.
5. TPMS (do I really need it?)
Any other suggestions are most welcome.

I am looking for the Font which is used for the HARRIER logo. So that I can print SEA in the same font and install it above the rear Harrier logo.

So that’s that. Happy to bring to you – the ‘SEA’ Harrier.
SEA because- it’s a Naval Family and just keeping alive the legacy of The Sea Harrier.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-front-qtr.jpeg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-mean-baby.jpeg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-side-rear.jpeg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-selfie.jpeg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-next-day-carspark.jpeg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-installing-ppf-1.jpg  

CaptBrat1845 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 08:55   #1562

Congratulations on your buy. What was the On road price that you paid for the car
Old 30th August 2022, 07:23   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post

Sujith Bhaktan, one of the most famous Kerala Vlogger who recently had a big showdown with PR department of MG motors over a gloster test drive report has sold his MG Hector and bought Dual Tone Top end TATA Harrier.

Just for reference, the ripples are still happening of that showdown. The most famous daily in Kerala, Manorama wrote a very bad report on Sujith supporting MG Motors(obviously media will scratch the back of manufacturers). But they did a small mistake of criticizing vloggers and YouTube reviewers along with it. That has irked the public like anything and now Sujith is getting support from everywhere. Such a silly move from MG to not let ego pass.

PS: Sujith has a Youtube channels TTE(tech travel eat) which has close to 1.5 million subscribers and has been one of the most vocal MG supporter as he himself was one of the first customer of hector is Southern Kerala.
Still

This is about youtuber Tech Travel Eat. In his recent adventure Sujith has taken his year and half old Harrier XZA+ all through the Himalayas with relative ease. Have been watching the Kashmir/Ladakh parts with interest and the vehicle seems to be doing just fine.

From what I could tell:
1) DPF - no issues.
2) Ground clearance - seems sufficient.
3) Width - again he has been able to reach all places of interest without issues.

Videos are in malyalam with english subs, so I might have missed some details about the car but if anyone has the time they should check them out. Interesting travelogues to say the least.

barefeetdriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:04   #1564
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefeetdriver View Post
Still

This is about Youtuber Tech Travel Eat. In his recent adventure Sujith has taken his year and half old Harrier XZA+ all through the Himalayas with relative ease. Have been watching the Kashmir/Ladakh parts with interest and the vehicle seems to be doing just fine.

From what I could tell:
1) DPF - no issues.
2) Ground clearance - seems sufficient.
3) Width - again he has been able to reach all places of interest without issues.

He did face issues with DPF/regeneration and they discussed it on EP 66. Check from 4:00
vdi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 14:44   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Team - need your advice.

I came across this instance 3-4 times by now.

Driving with D in my AT Harrier - has happened at low speeds only - the car suddenly looses power. No error messages. After a restart it works normally. This does not happen regularly. Occurred twice in 2-3 months and twice today. This is making me uneasy especially in traffic/highways.

Just completed my 22500kms/1.5 year service yesterday and there were no error codes.

How do I tackle this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Did you get it checked by Tata? If yes, what was their diagnosis?

My friend’s Polo GT TSI started behaving this way where it would loose all power but as soon as you would slot it in ‘R’ it would work normally. VW diagnosed that DSG was having issues engaging ‘Even’ gear for e.g when car would be in 1,3,5,7 it would loose power but would be fine in 2,4,6. they diagnosed it as an issue with clutch.
I took my Harrier to TASS. The issue turned out to be a faulty brake pedal switch. On the TML scanner, the error shown up was brake light switch error. The part costs about 290 bucks. Part number: 283454509954. It was done FOC under warranty.

I have covered 1000kms+ after the recent service and the issue hasn't come up since.

Still not happy with TASS though. They overfilled the battery during service and the liquid has eaten the paint of the battery tray holder. Will get this repainted or replaced when I visit them for the next service. Eventhough I love this car, I do not recommend a Tata car to anyone in my family or friends. I'm sure none of them are ready for the heartache

One golden rule for Tata owners: 'Minimize' your service visits
The Riddler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 15:12   #1566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post

Still not happy with TASS though. They overfilled the battery during service and the liquid has eaten the paint of the battery tray holder. Will get this repainted or replaced when I visit them for the next service.
Please clean up the battery tray and areas around it quickly, rust will follow soon otherwise. I would also recommend getting the electrical system checked to see if the battery is being overcharged, its not normal for battery acid to get spilled like that.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 21:05   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Please clean up the battery tray and areas around it quickly, rust will follow soon otherwise. I would also recommend getting the electrical system checked to see if the battery is being overcharged, its not normal for battery acid to get spilled like that.
Hey Kosfactor,

Thank you for the advice.

I've already cleaned the battery tray and surrounding area. Neutralized it first by using a solution of baking soda with water. Pressure washed the area and checked for damages. Apart from the battery tray holder (paint peel off)- nothing else. Battery health was checked last month and the readings were all normal. Will check once again this saturday.
The Riddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 22:04   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
As I said last time, Your review is one of the few positive ones on the internet so thank you for that, it was useful while finalising the car.
Glad that I was of some help! Hope you have a niggle free ownership!

I got the second service done today at 7100 km, a few days before the official six months. It was an eventless service. A few minor problems were reported like:
  • The infotainment system switches off randomly - Reinstalled the software, it looks like the problem is solved for now.
  • Minor sound from sunroof rails - Greasing the rails solved the problem.
  • Pickup issues at times - DPF regeneration has solved the problem. Nothing wrong or faulty in the car. It's just driving in bumper-to-bumper Bangalore traffic that takes a toll.
  • A faulty rear seat belt was replaced under warranty.
  • Brake pads cleaned.
  • The air filter was cleaned.
  • Oils topped up.
  • DEF topped up.
The grand total of the second service including tax was 1390 Rs only . No, I don't have any AMC. The car drives a dream! No rattles, no vibrations, rocket-like pickup!

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th September 2022 at 05:14. Reason: Back to back posts.
ambujlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 00:50   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Glad that I was of some help! Hope you have a niggle free ownership!
Thank you and trust me I hope the same.

Quote:
I got the second service done today at 7100 km, a few days before the official six months. It was an eventless service.
How has your experience been so far with Harrier?

I am loving the SUV so far and my one concern was steering feel and feedback which ended up surprising me and i got comfortable with it sooner than i expected.

Note to myself: stop watching YouTube reviews and start relying on real world experiences and TD the car myself extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal;5390902[LIST
[*]The infotainment system switches off randomly - Reinstalled the software, it looks like the problem is solved for now.
My infotainment freezes when i connect with wireless apple carplay but seems to work fine when i connect via wire.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 4th September 2022 at 00:53.
Old 4th September 2022, 09:50   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
I got the second service done today at 7100 km, a few days before the official six months. It was an eventless service... The car drives a dream! No rattles, no vibrations, rocket-like pickup!
Thanks ambujlal for the update. Helpful as my 2nd service is coming up. Happy driving!

Yesterday, I went to Tata service center to collect the 2nd key (at last, four months after delivery). Smooth experience, done in 15 mins.

The advisor told me that the driver seat electric adjustment panel will be replaced as a precaution because it is known to fail. Eventually, mine wasn't replaced because they didn't have the part for ventilated seat. He said part ordered and likely to be replaced when I return for the 2nd service later this month.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  32.6 KB

Has anyone else heard about this replacement for Harrier or Safari?

Last edited by subuiyer : 4th September 2022 at 09:52.
subuiyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 10:57   #1571
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Safari, yes. It got stuck within a few weeks of delivery and refused to move, good that they figured out the problem , earlier the ASC returned the vehicle without a resolution the first time around. It was a pain to sit like an orangutan and drive.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:31   #1572

Quote:

Note to myself: stop watching YouTube reviews and start relying on real world experiences and TD the car myself extensively.
I agree. I am easily able to handle the steering with one hand. I feel the steering feedback at low speeds is better. In fact, I now feel that my Ciaz, which I have been driving for 6 years, does not give me sufficient feedback.
Old 7th September 2022, 14:33   #1573
BHPian

Took my Harrier for brake pads replacement. During the last service my SA had advised that there was ~~ 3000kms life left and hence I'd decided to change it at a later date. My 1st set of brake pads lasted 23,500kms - not bad for a FWD 2 Ton + SUV.

I had complained about mild judders during heavy braking. SA informed that the discs will be replaced under warranty during the brake pad change.

Now my car runs on brand new brake discs+pads. Must say runs like a dream. Total bill was INR 5432/- (brake pads + labour).

Brake discs (INR 6304) were replaced FOC under warranty.

Point to be noted here is I never had to push them to get anything done. Really happy with the service offered at AutoMatrix, Mangalore. It also helps that SA - Mr Nithin Kulal has handled my service needs at TASS from the day of delivery.

Attaching a picture
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20220803_183731.jpg  

The Riddler is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 16:48   #1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrat1845 View Post

Following were Done at Carspark, OMR post-delivery (the very next day).

Hey CaptBrat. Congrats on your new car!! Happy motoring! Can you tell me how much you spent on Window tint and Shark fin Antenna accessories. I am looking to buy same accessories for my car
Old 9th September 2022, 10:33   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsense View Post
Hey CaptBrat. Congrats on your new car!! Happy motoring! Can you tell me how much you spent on Window tint and Shark fin Antenna accessories. I am looking to buy same accessories for my car
Hi, I go the windows tinting done as below :
Front Windshield : 3M CR70 - Rs 9000
Remaining Glass Area : Wurth 70% Trasparency - Rs 3200

Sharkfin Antenna - Carbon Grafix (not black) - Rs 1000

But I must mention, that the reception is not as good with this one.
There was no particular brand on the Antenna, just generic.
This was actually the only non-functional "upgrade" that was done.
CaptBrat1845 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks