Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2022, 11:56   #1606

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

I've a Harrier, Kaziranga Edition. Apart from the well reported niggles with the infotainment system and some fit and finish issues, it has been generally a happy experience over the last 6 months.

I did want to check on quite a stupid implementation though. When the door is opened, only the lights in the front of the cabin turn on. The two rear cabin lights do not (they only have an on-off push button switch each, no auto position as in the front). We end up manually operating the lights on the back bench.

Wonder if it is just my Harrier or a common issue among all the models. Might just be models with the sunroof? Has anyone found a work around?

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st October 2022 at 12:09. Reason: Minor formatting adjustment :)
RaviDBLR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 11:25   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Hi All Owners of Harriers, can you give me a firm advice as my younger brother has paid the booking amount for the top end version of Harriers (27L OTR Mumbai) and its from the newly opened dealership at Vikhroli. Is this car for the prices stated a GO or NO GO ? I would appreciate if actual owners can comment too.
Definitely a Go Ahead.
Just ensure that PDI is done properly and extensively. Any red flags during PDI be prepared to reject the car instead of going gaga on seeing a new car and in the flow of emotions ready to accept it.
Rest Car is a gem and you will love every bit of it.

- Harrier XZA plus DT 2021 owner driven 22306 kms as of today.
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 11:26   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Hi All Owners of Harriers, can you give me a firm advice as my younger brother has paid the booking amount for the top end version of Harriers (27L OTR Mumbai) and its from the newly opened dealership at Vikhroli. Is this car for the prices stated a GO or NO GO ? I would appreciate if actual owners can comment too.
It is a wonderful car overall, albeit with its own character and some fit and finish issues. The mechanical package however is good. Would strongly recommend a thorough PDI with someone who is emotionally detached from the buying decision to ensure emotions do not interfere in the process.

I own a XZA+ Dark Edition that came home in Sep-2022. Currently on a road trip with it in Rajasthan.

All the best for your decision.
Jaisalmeriya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 12:06   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviDBLR View Post
I did want to check on quite a stupid implementation though. When the door is opened, only the lights in the front of the cabin turn on. The two rear cabin lights do not (they only have an on-off push button switch each, no auto position as in the front). We end up manually operating the lights on the back bench.

Wonder if it is just my Harrier or a common issue among all the models. Might just be models with the sunroof? Has anyone found a work around?
I do not own a Harrier, but I have a Punch Kaziranga, and the roof light has only a single switch. By looking at the single switch I was under the impression that it does not have an "door open" mode. But I read the owners' manual and it mentioned that the switch has 3 positions. ON, OFF and 'Door Open'. I tried and found that there are really 3 modes with just a single push button to change between the three modes. You could try the same in your Harrier. First push 'ON', second push "Door opening", third push "Off".
speed79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:22   #1610

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
You could try the same in your Harrier. First push 'ON', second push "Door opening", third push "Off".
Thanks. Just checked. That is not the case with my Harrier. Just two states - first push is ON and second push turns the light OFF
Old 29th October 2022, 10:53   #1611
BHPian

Need inputs from Harrier owners:

My harrier is making a sound from driver side front when I turn the steering beyond half and take it on bumps. Sound is very similar as if some metal parts are hitting together. The sound is produced only on bumps and when steering is half turned and beyond.

Workshop has changed the engine mount, shocker and rack but problem has not gone . Next plan is to change the suspension arm.

Any inputs from fellow Owners on what else can be checked ?

Workshop is very proactive in acknowledging and quiet determined to eliminate the noise inspite of the point that I am less determined to get it resolved as the noise comes only once in 5 times when steering is turned and I am circling the car on bumps.
They have told me " Sir jab tak hum noise hata nahi dengey hum aapko jaane nahi dengey bhale hee noise is not regular". Everything is under warranty as well.

Last edited by steadfast : 29th October 2022 at 10:54.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 18:47   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviDBLR View Post

This is how it is designed. The rear lights do not switch on when any gate is opened. You have to operate is manually. I still wonder what would have been the thought behind this!
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 18:48   #1613
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post

My harrier is making a sound from driver side front when I turn the steering beyond half and take it on bumps. Sound is very similar as if some metal parts are hitting together. The sound is produced only on bumps and when steering is half turned and beyond.

Workshop has changed the engine mount, shocker and rack but problem has not gone . Next plan is to change the suspension arm.

Any inputs from fellow Owners on what else can be checked ?

Workshop is very proactive in acknowledging and quiet determined to eliminate the noise inspite of the point that I am less determined to get it resolved as the noise comes only once in 5 times when steering is turned and I am circling the car on bumps.
They have told me " Sir jab tak hum noise hata nahi dengey hum aapko jaane nahi dengey bhale hee noise is not regular". Everything is under warranty as well.
This is the problem with all brand service centres. They use hit and trial instead of proper root cause analysis. "Jane nahi denge" is OK, but aren't they wasting customers' time? Regarding the sound, ask them to try replacing the brake calliper pin and also check the stabiliser bar bushes.
Disclaimer:I am not a Harrier owner but this seems to be a generic issue, so I am replying based on experience.

Last edited by sbm : 29th October 2022 at 18:50.
Old 30th October 2022, 02:58   #1614
BHPian

Harrier Niggels!

Hello Fellow BHPians!

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier-front.jpeg

As I had already shared about issues about my new TATA HARRIER XZA+ on this thread DE, I'd like to add further specific points that I think are crucial for everyone to know about and also as this would further help Team TATA "fine tune" the Harrier to meet more customer expectations.

P.S-All the points about to be mentioned are solely from my personal experience with the car and are not taken from anywhere on the net.

Below, I'm briefly elaborating on the points that according to my experience are concerning:

1. The Ergonomics in the Harrier are extremely extremely poor-

A)For instance I was looking to keep my sunglasses in the sunglass holder( I expected them to be there next to the ceiling lights as all cars do) but there was not a single spacious space to keep them.

B)There is no "proper place" to keep my cell phone, the only place TATA have "thoughtfully" provided (pun intended) is a small cubby hole that barely fits my 6.7inch iPhone and on top of that reaching to the phone while driving is a task as it's deep inside the lower dashboard. I had to purchase a magnetic phone holder and stick it to the dashboard to ease up my life! Though the holder works really well. Everyone should try it out, Link attached-https://amzn.eu/d/hIRPlie

Also, the armrest is of no use, it's not adjustable for reach nor for rake making it useless as I barely can keep my arm on it comfortably. Should have been even taller.

2. The side view mirrors are not as adjustable-While driving I wanted the side view mirrors to have more play and was expecting it to further move upwards but it just wouldn't shift, also vice versa moving it down as well.

3. The High Beam and Fog lamps are just pathetic-Upon speculation it turned out that the lights are not at all sufficient for night driving, I have already changed the high beam and fog lamps to OSRAM LEDs as they have much better throw and are great for flickering at night if I need to overtake etc. Low Beams also aren't great but they just do the job, Why couldn't TATA just give it Solid Lights like its counterpart the XUV700. Sometimes I feel should have just gone for the XUV, due to all the reasons collectively.

4. Apple Carplay goes bonkers!-It worked fine for a month, but after that whenever I'm playing a track from Apple Music the infotainment starts to hang up the song, it starts from just a bit of a lag and then piles up making it impossible to hear the song due to the constant pause and play. I tried resetting the infotainment and got the system updated to the latest version but to no avail, checked with Apple about any such issues but there weren't any. I'm adamant that this issue is only due to Harrier's infotainment as my Hyundai Alcazar supports Apple Carplay as well and it works like a charm in there. Also, the carplay UI not utilizing the complete display isn't very pleasing to the eye, as it is the display quality is not so great and on top of that this cropped-up carplay UI.

5. Steering Wheel problems-Yes everyone owning a Harrier must have complained or at least noted that the steering wheel is heavy at slow speeds, what joy does TATA get seeing their customers struggle moving the steering while it should just be with a finger?!. Now please don't go on that hydraulic steering has benefits for an SUV and whatnot, a mass market car should cater to all, Also the steering wheel is making click sounds while the vehicle is running, don't know what this is now.

6. TATA's Logic is; to make a vehicle the size of a jumbo jet and let them wrestle with traffic!-Dear Pyaare Tata, If you had to make a vehicle with such muscular road presence and size then why not fill it with cameras and parking sensors to ease up the life of your consumers?!?!, why do you want us to become professional drivers at the risk of damaging our own car. Honestly parking the Harrier can be a task especially after driving Alcazar with 360 camera system. The Alcazar is a joy to drive in the city as it gets the sensor and cameras missing on the Harrier plus the steering wheel is way lighter here.

All the points I've mentioned are problems I've faced personally. Also, kudos to Korean automakers for truly thinking about customers and giving them great ergonomics and features that help ease our lives.

TATA truly needs to get the finesse it's been missing since forever.

P.S-Incase if any one of you are thinking why did I buy the Harrier if I had so many issues, all I have to say is the SUV is a crowd puller; looks like a charm; it's looks almost balances all of its problems(it would be superb if all these points are taken into consideration).

Hope my points give valuable information to TATA so that they can implement the same and also to fellow BHPians so that even you all can consider my info and post regarding the same.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier-rear.jpeg

Signing Off,
Cheers,
Bil.007
bil.007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 08:26   #1615
MaG
BHPian

Hello, in my case, there was a similar noise from front left. The TASS changed the suspension and then the problem was solved. And they acknowledged the sound as well as the source of it at the very 1st instance itself, which probably saved my time and I got my car in 3 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post

MaG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 22:57   #1616
BHPian

During my Harrier's 7500 km service, I had reported random low pickup. It was due to choked DPF because of bumper to bumper driving conditions in Bangalore. Nothing wrong with the car. As a fix, the DPF was regenerated.

Now this was a learning that after DPF regeneration the fuel mileage displayed dropped from 15 kmpl to 8 kmpl. This was expected as vehicle is stationary and engine running at 3k rpm for about 20 mins.

A few days later, I went to refuel. I always do a tank full, auto-cut. When I filled fuel, Harrier displayed a DTE of 352 kms. It got me intrigued as normally the DTE at full tank is around 650-670 kms. I didn't bother much. I also observed that Harrier was drinking fuel or may be it was just my suspicion. To overcome this suspicion, I did a small 130km to-and-fro drive. The mileage improved to 10kmpl.

We did a Chikmagalur trip and in the return, I had to refuel. This time when I refueld full tank, the DTE was 657 kms and by the end of the trip, mileage was back to 15 kmpl.

Why this long post? Just a learning that if you have to get a DPF regeneration, and you see such a behaviour, give your Harrier sometime to recalibrate before making another trip to service station thinking that something is wrong.

Otherwise,completed 8k kms of zero niggle ownership. What a beauty this car is to drive

Last edited by ambujlal : 31st October 2022 at 23:02.
ambujlal is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:24   #1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil.007 View Post
2. The side view mirrors are not as adjustable-While driving I wanted the side view mirrors to have more play and was expecting it to further move upwards but it just wouldn't shift, also vice versa moving it down as well.
Agree. The right ORVM certainly needs more play tilting up.

I've a couple other points to add to this list. Hopefully someone from Tata is taking notes.

> The rear cabin lights do not have a setting to turn on when the doors open (see post #1606 above).
> The accelerator pedal seems to be set a bit too deep. I like my chest as far back as possible from the steering with arms extended while relaxed. No matter how I adjust the powered seat on my Kaziranga, the tip of my shoes end up reaching the A pedal. Very noticeable on longish drives.

I tried a couple of after market pedal attachments on Amazon to pad it up. They were no good. Anyone has a better suggestion?
RaviDBLR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 15:35   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaG View Post
Hello, in my case, there was a similar noise from front left. The TASS changed the suspension and then the problem was solved. And they acknowledged the sound as well as the source of it at the very 1st instance itself, which probably saved my time and I got my car in 3 days.
My problem also solved. It was a link road problem. Though I received the car in total 2 days and I did not drop my car at workshop for night.
steadfast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 14:52   #1619
BHPian

Quote:

Harrier Niggels!

1. The Ergonomics in the Harrier are extremely extremely poor-

A)For instance I was looking to keep my sunglasses in the sunglass holder

B)There is no "proper place" to keep my cell phone

Also, the armrest is of no use, it's not adjustable for reach nor for rake making it useless as I barely can keep my arm on it comfortably. Should have been even taller.

5. Steering Wheel problems

6. TATA's Logic is; to make a vehicle the size of a jumbo jet and let them wrestle with traffic!-Dear Pyaare Tata, If you had to make a vehicle with such muscular road presence and size then why not fill it with cameras and parking sensors to ease up the life of your consumers?!?!,
Thanks for sharing the real world issues with us. However, for the issues that I have left in the quote above, these should’ve been easy to spot during the initial processes of evaluating the car, or even during test drive.
Did you not evaluate the car initially with these parameters?

I’m not defending the vehicle (don’t own it), but just raising it as a point so that whoever goes to buy a car, keeps such criteria in mind. Everyone’s mileage may vary, so they can pick and choose must haves according to their needs.
AZ911 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:57   #1620
BHPian

Quote:

Harrier Niggels!

The Alcazar is a joy to drive in the city

TATA truly needs to get the finesse it's been missing since forever.
Really!!!

I'm looking to buy a Sedan or SUV and am doing lot of test drive of late.

Sorry to rain on your party but Alcazar is not even a patch on Harrier. I'm still vacillating between Virtus, Kushaq and Harrier, the latter being my favourite. Can't seem to get over the plush ride quality which others are sorely lacking, save the Virtus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks