Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2023, 15:31   #1756
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Hello Team-BHPians,

I own the Harrier XZA+ 2022.

As seen on the newer models the new infotainment screen is slick and just better overall, it also comes with 360 Camera.

I was wondering if my 2022 Harrier could be fitted with the new infotainment and camera system. Anybody having clues any info about this? Definitely would want it installed in mine.

Thanks,
bil.007

Last edited by Sheel : 10th May 2023 at 08:08. Reason: Please space out after a punctuation mark. Thanks.
Old 8th May 2023, 19:56   #1757
ike
BHPian

Hello

I took delivery of an XZA+ Jet edition over the weekend, this was a 2022 model available with discounts.

Pics along with the old ride (an S cross) that was traded in.

Tata buying experience:

The entire episode was happenstance, I had some time to kill on a Monday morning so I decided to visit the local Tata dealer just to "see" a harrier. I was greeted at the dealership and when I said that I just want to see a Harrier, I was ushered in and asked to let them know in case I needed a sales executive.

Me and my son check out the car, a while later an SA approached us very unobtrusively and we got chatting. He mentioned to me that the particular car that we were checking out is a 2022 jet edition and that discounts would be available in case I was interested.

I got back home and slept over it. Headed to the dealership with a friend of mine who is pretty good at negotiating and we had to walk out without reaching an agreement. I also take a long TD and bring it home as well to show it to my family. My friend asks me not to worry and that they will call the next day with something better.

We then go to the Mahindra dealership to check out the XUV700 & the ScorpioN. Checking out the Scorpio, I realized that it is a little too rugged for my liking. I was quickly offered a TD of the XUV700 petrol, the SA was good at explaining the features of the car and was a little younger than the tata SA and even spoke with an accent. Though the car is competent, the mid variant that is within budget was really under kitted with no cruise control or even a reverse camera. Though the SA did follow up later about taking a TD of the diesel and the evaluation of my current car, I did not pursue this any further.

The next day morning, as expected I get a call from the Tata dealership offering better discounts than the previous day.

It is Thursday and I'm on leave so decide to check out the Hycross(Toyota dealership is a few hundred yards from Tata anyway). As I have mentioned in the Hycross review thread, I had a very underwhelming experience with Nippon Toyota. I couldn't impress them enough and I was not attended to by anyone, let alone getting a TD. I checked out the car on my own, sat in the rear seat of the Hycross and called the Tata SA asking him if I can come down to meet up with him. I also left a stinker of a review in Google about this. Polar opposite of what I have read about Toyota on the forum and what I have heard by word of mouth.

We shook hands at a number that I'm not entirely satisfied with but was acceptable nonetheless. Booking amount is paid, Bank released funds on Saturday and then started the wait. May 1st was an RTO holiday and the registration and the HSRP came through on Saturday. Checked the car out on Monday and brought her home on Saturday. Talk about impulse buys!

Overall Tata dealership experience was good. They lack the sophistication/finesse that Mahindra or Nexa have but people were very approachable, prompt and well spoken. The SA also acknowledged that there were issues with service personnel too but that now has been attended to. He also mentioned that there are many staff who have come over from other OEMs bringing with them different cultures. Hopefully this is true.

Fingers crossed about service, coming from a Maruti a certain Mod here (you know who you are) thinks I'm in for tough times. He also happens to think the 83k run 7 year old S cross is barely run in and good for another 100k KMS!

Couple of questions to the existing owners:
  • How do y'all hook up your dashcams given that Android auto will work only if the phone is plugged into the only USB that is below the HU?
  • I shut the engine off today morning but the fan continued to work. After a few seconds I fired up the engine again and it stopped. Engine temperature was normal. Is the fan known to work for sometime or should I get this checked?
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230508-19.25.21.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230508-19.25.23.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230508-19.25.26.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230508-19.25.27.jpg  

Last edited by ike : 8th May 2023 at 20:14.
ike is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 00:06   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Hello

I took delivery of an XZA+ Jet edition over the weekend, this was a 2022 model available with discounts.
  • How do y'all hook up your dashcams given that Android auto will work only if the phone is plugged into the only USB that is below the HU?
Hi!
Congratulations! Wishing you thousands of happy miles with the Harrier.

For dashcam, you can use the plug inside the central armrest. I have used it to power my 70mai pro.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 10:37   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Hello
  • I shut the engine off today morning but the fan continued to work. After a few seconds I fired up the engine again and it stopped. Engine temperature was normal. Is the fan known to work for sometime or should I get this checked?
Congratulations for the car.
Running of fan after engine shutdown is normal, it stops automatically. Fan will run for some time to cool down the engine via coolant. In case you are not driving at high RPMs the fan may not run after shutting the engine.
KSingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 07:53   #1760
BHPian

Congrats Sir,

Could you please advise, which Dealership in Chennai or Kerala have your bought your Harrier from ?
I am not satisfied with Laxmi Tata OMR. Although their Service center is decent with no real qualms on the service side.

Wrt the dash cam, I got my 70mai (front and back) fitted with the hard wire kit, and it directly plugs into the main electricals of the car, with a separate fuse. The hardwire kit comes as an added accessory to the 70mai. This way, the car's USBs are not used for powering the dash cam, and secondly the dash cam is always connected to power and comes on automatically, as soon as the car is powered on.

As mentioned earlier, the Fan running after stopping the engine is normal and nothing to worry about.
CaptBrat1845 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 08:04   #1761
BHPian

To everyone here, am looking to buy the Auto dimming IRVM which comes as a Tata Genuine Accessory for around Rs8200/-.
This is the same IRVM that comes as standard on the XZ/XZA variants.

Read somewhere on TeamBHP that there's a dedicated part number too for this, and have also seen a few videos on youtube of people buying this and fitting it.

But, the Sales Rep (Accessories) at Laxmi Tata OMR told me that there is nothing of that sort, and I am now left to wonder how to procure this.
This is the reason, I am looking for another 'good' dealership in Chennai (preferably South Chennai).

Any leads on this would be most appreciated.

Further, it seems to be me that this Dealership in question, Laxmi Tata OMR, is either heavily overworked, or mismanaged, or has not been taken care of well by the parent company (Laxmi Automotive).
The Service center has been "under renovation" for the last 1 year now and the inconvenience has been regretted by me since mid 2022
Although they have good personnel, with a very down to earth and approachable (and helpful) service manager (Mr. Bala), the general outlook of the place, is that everyone is always busy and there seems to be a lot of haphazard way of working.
The customer's waiting area also is not as it should be, with a few sofas places on one corner of the room, and a large TV blaring out tamil music all day long.
The manager's table is under the stairs leading to the first floor of the complex. At least the service manager should get a separate room.

Above is just FYI and my frustration, put in words.
CaptBrat1845 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 20:18   #1762
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrat1845 View Post
Congrats Sir,

Could you please advise, which Dealership in Chennai or Kerala have your bought your Harrier from ?
I got it from KL, Hyson Motors Thrissur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrat1845 View Post
To everyone here, am looking to buy the Auto dimming IRVM which comes as a Tata Genuine Accessory for around Rs8200/-.
This is the same IRVM that comes as standard on the XZ/XZA variants.
The sales guy may not be the right guy to check this with, perhaps try reaching out to someone on the service side? The other option is to procure the part (either from TASS or Boodmo) and have it fitted at a reputed accessory shop. But then again consider if this is worth the hassle.

If you are looking for dealers in the southern side I have seen Gokulam Tata in Chromepet.Not really sure how good/bad they are though

Last edited by ike : 10th May 2023 at 20:22.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 19:53   #1763

Hello Guys ,

Need a help. I searched everywhere for answers but no clue about it.
Its regarding the infotainment system , i have recently purchased Harrier Dark XZ+ O.

I was trying to figure out how to stop the FM /AM radio playing be default on the infotainment, i do not see any option other than switching the audio source. I checked manual etc, no mention of it

Does anyone have any idea about it.
Old 12th May 2023, 20:28   #1764
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick check - anyone who has been able to derive 18+ kmpl from Harrier / Safari on highway drives ? Keen on understanding whether Harrier twins or XUV 700 better in FE
Old 12th May 2023, 21:34   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
A quick check - anyone who has been able to derive 18+ kmpl from Harrier / Safari on highway drives ? Keen on understanding whether Harrier twins or XUV 700 better in FE
Did a trip to Tirupati and back earlier this week. Managed an overall MID indicated figure of 18.0. But this was heavily impacted by BLR city traffic on return. On the onward journey, the MID displayed 20.2kmpl when we reached Tirupati. It was at 19.4kmpl while entering Bangalore city and then fell to 18kmpl by the end.

This was with AC on for 95% of the journey, entirely in City mode, cruise control set at 90kmph for majority of the time. So yes, one can definitely extract good FE numbers from Harrier/Safari.
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_3196.jpeg
rahulcmoulee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:51   #1766
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Contrary to my belief that it would be easy choosing the colour, it turned out to be quite a task. So, I decided to adopt the process of elimination starting with the colors of the cars that we've had in our household over the years. Out went White, Grey, Blue. Next, I didn't want Black and Red (the Harrier looks beautiful in these colors but I didn't want them due to maintenance issue with Black and the attention grabbing Red!), which left just Tropical Mist which I liked mainly for it's subtle, sober, not-in-the-face kind of shade.

I booked the XZA+ in Tropical Mist (Sales Advisor was unwell and not work that day). Next day, the SA is back at work and called me saying XZA+ Tropical Mist is available only in Dual Tone - I had completely missed this point mentioned in fine print on the brochure!

I didn't want the Dual Tone, so decided on Daytona Grey. So much for eliminating colours of cars we've had in the past - this will be the third one in Grey (though not the exact shade)!
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier-colour-options-fine-print.jpg

A question on the "Essential Pack" accessories.
The dealer is offering this for Rs.28,000 - is it worth or should I decline ? I'm not really sure I need the Side Steps, but mud flaps, 3D mats (in case they fit flush without protrusions and gaps) and the car cover are something I'd like.
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier-essential-pack.jpg

Insurance - I still need to check with my current insurer about how much it will cost after transferring my NCB which is at 50%. The dealer is offering insurance at Rs.1,35,000 (maybe a discount upto 20k on this) while another dealer has quoted 85,000 after discount (don't know the details of what's on offer and who the insurance providers are).
Only good thing is the dealer is open to help me get the best deal myself and then they will try to match it with their tied up vendors.

Discounts - Discounts on offer are 25k exchange bonus if I exchange my old car and 5k Super Saver offer if I can get the code from a friend/relative who works in a Tata group company. A Corporate discount of 5k if I work for a company that is identified and listed by Tata for the offer (I don't work for any of the companies identified by Tata).

Last edited by NPV : 14th May 2023 at 12:08.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 17:56   #1767
BHPian

The dealer is offering this for Rs.28,000 - is it worth or should I decline ? I'm not really sure I need the Side Steps, but mud flaps, 3D mats (in case they fit flush without protrusions and gaps) and the car cover are something I'd like.
Attachment 2451062

I only took the Harrier Mascot and Mud Flaps.
Purchased the Side Step, Car Cover, 5D mats aftermarket.
You'd End up saving around 5-6k.
CaptBrat1845 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 18:00   #1768
BHPian

Attachment 2451062

I would recommend the sidesteps. Its easy to use to climb for someone who cannot lift their legs high. Also helped me many times to avoid puddles near the door. Also saved direct hits to the underbody as the sidestep takes the abuse. I installed it for around 18K last year. I had bought mat set from the dealer but they are not very good. Especially the rear ones it was a 3 piece and the middle one keeps slipping. The driver side one also was oddly shaped and didnt help the shoe mud from getting on to the under-carpet. Better to buy from amazon or elsewhere (7D mats are recommended). Mudflaps from TATA were also not very great quality. In short, maybe its not worth to take the accessories package from the dealer except for the side steps unless they have better quality that the ones I got. All the best in your ride !! Keep safe !
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 22:07   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

I didn't want the Dual Tone, so decided on Daytona Grey. So much for eliminating colours of cars we've had in the past - this will be the third one in Grey (though not the exact shade)!

Insurance - I still need to check with my current insurer about how much it will cost after transferring my NCB which is at 50%. The dealer is offering insurance at Rs.1,35,000 (maybe a discount upto 20k on this) while another dealer has quoted 85,000 after discount (don't know the details of what's on offer and who the insurance providers are).

Discounts - Discounts on offer are 25k exchange bonus if I exchange my old car and 5k Super Saver offer if I can get the code from a friend/relative who works in a Tata group company. A Corporate discount of 5k if I work for a company that is identified and listed by Tata for the offer (I don't work for any of the companies identified by Tata).
Daytona grey would require same amount of love and care as Dark edition. I have seen from some of your posts that you liked dark edition but were rejecting it due to maintenance woes. I would say if you are going for grey might as well go the extra mile and get black. Harrier looks absolutely drop dead gorgeous in black.

For Accesories I got Mud flaps, Front parking sensor, Auto dimming IRVM, Harrier Mascot, boot tray and 7D mats from Tata. The 7D mats are of good quality and were offered at a price comparable to market.

I would say get Mud Flaps and Harrier mascot from TATA and rest of the stuff you can get from local market.

I got insurance from ICICI for 78,000 for XZA variant and it came with all essentials like Return to invoice, nil dip insurance and engine damage due to water logging etc. it also included Key insurance.

Do not forget to take extended warranty and try negotiating some more. Tata generally gives great discounts on Harrier & Safari.

Quote:
Couple of questions to the existing owners:
I have connected my dash cam from fuse box. Essentially hardwired it to get parking surveillance feature enabled.

The fan noise you have mentioned is normal and nothing out of the ordinary. Infact you will also head a bit of fan noise from infotainment system as well, sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I maintain 90-100 kmph and use Eco mode when I am well aware that I will be maintaining a constant speed on highway. I also use cruise control when possible. This helps me get 18.0 + kmpl mileage.
Harrier offers more mileage than XUV as XUV has a more powerful engine plus the gearbox is also tuned towards performance hence it’s a bit more “eager” when compared to well balanced Gearbox of Harrier.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 14th May 2023 at 22:19.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 05:56   #1770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I booked the XZA+ in Tropical Mist (Sales Advisor was unwell and not work that day). Next day, the SA is back at work and called me saying XZA+ Tropical Mist is available only in Dual Tone - I had completely missed this point mentioned in fine print on the brochure!
NPV, If I can suggest: get the Tropical mist and do a roof-wrap in a different color than black.

Will give you the TM color, you will not get a black roof, and the color combination of your car will be unique
condor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks