Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 12:35   #391

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Hi Team-BHPians,
I'm a Newbie here. In fact this is my first post. Took delivery of Tata Harrier XZA+ Calypso Red single tone last week from Muthoot Tata, Kollam. Still getting used to the sheer size of the vehicle. Sharing some pictures.2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20201104_170350.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20201108_123818.jpg
amju is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 22:41   #392
BHPian

Any Volkswagen users who have migrated to Harrier?

I have a Polo 1.2 and I simply love it. The linear acceleration, the confidence with which i can drive the car in the city and on the highways brings a smile to my face. It's a 7 year old vehicle but recently I was on the highway and saw an interesting Jeep Compass vs Harrier battle on the road. I could easily chase them for 25 odd kms to see the fun (and yes they were driving fast). I did a Bangalore to Mumbai few months back. I love the fact that it's equally easy to park in busy Bangalore streets.

However, 7 years is long and I need an upgrade. Harrier is close to an upgrade but I have my doubts. It is a great car but niggles bother me. I had an engine light niggle on my polo in my year 2 and 3. I had to take it to the service center multiple times and I did not like the experience and harrier bothers me on that front. I get really upset if my phone Bluetooth cannot connect to my car. On a few occasions it would not play songs on my player. Multiple restarts would not fix it and suddenly it works fine the next day. These issues bother me but I really don't see a choice.

Korean siblings are not attractive. I don't like MG Hector's looks and also hate the Chinese thingy.

Harrier looks beautiful. What an attractive vehicle. The brown seats for me are a delight (the only reason I don't want Dark edition). Except the steering wheel with the hard plastic for the horn with an ugly looking Tata logo (sorry I am nitpicking), everything else is amazing to look at.

The start stop button of all vehicles i have tried have lost it's text (such poor quality), the perennial touchscreen issue (I am a geek, I want it to work), the broken electric seat knob etc etc. I am almost sure that the vehicle will not age like my Polo did.

T-Roc is polo on steroids (powerful and looks good), Karoq is excellent but I REALLLY have to stretch my budget for it and I am kind of done with beige and black interiors. Also, Skoda's 7th, 8th year cost of maintenance often crosses 50k and with CBU I am really worried for the timelines as this would be my only car.

Jeep Compass is fantastic but the petrol automatic has very poor mileage and it does not have that oomph of Diesel. Diesel auto(4 x 4) is an overkill for me. The price is extremely high as sunroof has become a mandatory ask.

I have finally decided that Harrier is the one and it is a huge decision for me. I am hoping to find some VW friends here certifying my decision.

Thanks a ton for reading my post.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th November 2020 at 07:38. Reason: Mod note attached.
abhatt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 12:29   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
I upgraded from a Skoda Fabia Petrol (2010 mfg) so while not exactly a VW Polo, but a close cousin so I think I'm partially qualified to comment

When I had bought my Fabia, there were no fancy gadgets etc in the car but I was completely satisfied with the safety and build quality aspects. The audio unit didn't even have bluetooth connectivity function. I considered Compass, Tucson, Innova and Harrier before finalizing the Harrier. In terms of build quality and long term reliability, I think Compass will be closest to the Polo/Fabia but the price difference and the cramped space were deal breakers for me. Moreover, a facelift is expected to be launched early next year so didn't make sense to get stuck with an older model just before a facelift. And I think we can safely assume that facelifted model will be more expensive than the outgoing one.

I too had my concerns regarding niggles in Tata cars but the build quality is good and in general when you read the forum, you'll get to know that everyone praises Tata cars for their build quality and reliability of the most important mechanical functions. Yes, some of the gadgets may may not work properly from time to time, but the core functions of the car will not fail you is the message that all the past owners of Tata cars have been conveying on various threads. Harrier is a complete package - looks stunning, superbly spacious, solid road presence, great build quality, all the necessary safety features and most of the comfort features that you'd regularly use.

Since I got the car just 1 week back, my ownership experience is limited and can't comment about niggles etc as yet but would recommend you to take the extended warranty and all the add-ons that you can get with the insurance.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th November 2020 at 18:32. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
rags.singh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 13:21   #394
BHPian

Quote:
We had a 2015 Polo 1.5 TDI Comfortline before upgrading to 2019 Harrier XT Dark.

Driving ergonomics and FTD factor is definitely better in the Polo. But Harrier is no slouch as you saw on the highway drive. The engine has more punch than Polo. The VAG diesel motor used to sound sporty as the revs climb whereas the Fiat just gets loud. Note that we have the BS4 version. Parking would be cumbersome considering the dimensions and heavy steering at parking speeds.

The infotainment system has shown It's niggles on a few occasions but nothing a software update cannot rectify in the future. Never have I faced an issue with the bluetooth connectivity. If you have bluetooth on in your phone , the phone connects automatically within less than 15 sec of you starting the system.

I think the Harrier would indeed age well being an SUV with butch styling as like other Tata SUVs of the past. The steering does look a bit out of place compared to the whole cabin. Quality of parts have always been an issue with Tata vehicles but the improvements they are making over the last few years is confidence inspiring.

We used to have 10k - 12k annual service cost on our Polo from 2015- 2019. Got the Harrier's first annual service done last week and total cost was ~8k. It was a free service but even if it was paid, around the same cost as with Polo. I am comparing two different segments at two different time frames here, meaning that Harrier works out cheaper. 5 year extended warranty cost us 26k whereas my brother's brand new Polo Highline Plus AT's cost 23k for 5th and 6th year.

IMO Harrier is good looking and VFM. As far as driving is concerned, take a long TD and then a longer one before deciding.

PS: We still have some VW Dieselgate Car Care kit leftover that we use on the Harrier.
janakiram_m is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 16:48   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Kindly give some suggestions to avoid something like this in future.Attachment 2078128
This might be some stone chipping.
Try rubbing off the same with Wax polish + Microfiber Cloth, if it doesn't help then I don't think you can hide it. Still give a try. Yes the first scratch hurts a lot for few days.

Your parking space is dangerous to be specific. Any biker or noob car driver can hurt your car, especially at night. Moreover we have got some idiots who just touches and scratches the new cars for no reason. Add to this the dogs and cats! Better find a safe parking spot at the earliest for your beast.

Forgot to mention : AT LEAST A CAR COVER OF HIGH QUALITY IS A MUST in your case!

Last edited by kamilharis : 10th November 2020 at 16:51.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:56   #396
BHPian

This is in context to the Kia Seltos crash test, I would say time has come to get Harrier GNCAP tested to show its stars, am sure a good star rating now will get more customers away from seltos/creta.
terra85 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:44   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
This is in context to the Kia Seltos crash test, I would say time has come to get Harrier GNCAP tested to show its stars, am sure a good star rating now will get more customers away from seltos/creta.
So True. However there are doubts on this thread regarding it getting a 5 star.
Old 12th November 2020, 11:57   #398
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure somebody in TATA reads these threads, a person who's buying a i10 may not have safety as a top priority while buying the car, however a car like Harrier which will be used on the highway a lot needs to prove it s worth, the demographics of a Harrier customer will surely be different from a hatchback buyer. Being a potential customer of a Harrier. My priorities would be
1. 5 star GNCAP
2. comfort and space for 5
3. Good after sales and reliability
4. I am really not interested in the connected car things, most features will never be used after the first week. All marketing dazzle

Harrier /Gravitas ticks the boxes and if TATA does it right. They have a customer in me for sure. Somebody in my family decided to buy a seltos recently and I said its a good car has got 5 stars in ANCAP, I really don't know what to say to them now, feel so let down.
Old 12th November 2020, 12:23   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
I am sure somebody in TATA reads these threads, a person who's buying a i10 may not have safety as a top priority while buying the car, however a car like Harrier which will be used on the highway a lot needs to prove it s worth, the demographics of a Harrier customer will surely be different from a hatchback buyer. Being a potential customer of a Harrier. My priorities would be
1. 5 star GNCAP
I had Tweeted Tata regarding this. The response was marketing jazzz. We are based on Land Rover platform with a robust and strong body with 6 airbags and multiple safety features etc etc.
abhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:30   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A company so enthu about safety and sending Altroz to GNCAP even before launch, is not sending flagship Harrier for test says a lot!!

I am sure there are issues/limitations and they must be working on it already. I hope they get it tested soon or at least GNCAP picks up Harrier in the next round

Last edited by neoonwheels : 12th November 2020 at 12:31.
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:54   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

3. In another exclusive scoop, Tata is expected to launch the connected car platform on the Harrier in the next couple of months. So Harrier will get these features before the Gravitas.
Is there any update on the connected car platform for Harrier and how it will work? Please share if you have any information.
Old 12th November 2020, 14:46   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
apparently there is an issue with the oil cooler or oil filter placement in the multijet 2.0 litre diesels that prevents the models equipped with these engines from getting a 5 star.

The oil filter or oil cooler is placed inwards towards the firewall which is a safety hazard in case of a serious crash.
lurker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 23:34   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amju View Post
Hi Team-BHPians,
I'm a Newbie here. In fact this is my first post. Took delivery of Tata Harrier XZA+ Calypso Red single tone last week from Muthoot Tata, Kollam.
Congratulations for your new ride, and welcome to Team-BHP. I am from kollam too, My Zest is being serviced at Muthoot,Kottarakkara. Do post your ownership review.Wishing you happy miles ahead.
RK79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:16   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
apparently there is an issue with the oil cooler or oil filter placement in the multijet 2.0 litre diesels that prevents the models equipped with these engines from getting a 5 star.

The oil filter or oil cooler is placed inwards towards the firewall which is a safety hazard in case of a serious crash.
No offense at all but how are you so sure about this? There are no reports regarding this information and neither any manufacturer using the multijet 2.0 diesel engine has published anything indicating such issues. I highly doubt something as small as an oil filter will be placed in a dangerous position without proper R&D. I am not trying to save fiat here but almost all of the engines are developed after months of testing and fine tuning if not years.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:51   #405
BHPian

Stunning video by a detailing studio called SNASH with Tata Harrier .

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHiAeHn...d=3hh229soi9di
TorqueIndia is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks