Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 13:55   #421
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post

I was planning on a thick towel. It just ruins the look as removing the seat and fixing it every time is an activity i would have loved to ignore.
Don't think you need to worry so much. I have been using car seat for the past 5+ years on leatherette seat covers but there was never any damage. I have started using on the Harrier as well, it hasn't been a long time but I don't think it will cause any damage.
rags.singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:03   #422
BHPian

Test drove the harrier.

The driving dynamics are certainly great. The platform has so much potential.
However the interior and the sound quality is a big let down in a 25 lakh car. Unless the td vehicle has something wrong that the numerous set up changes we tried didn't resolve, the sound simply didn't compete well even with the ten year old 20/30K sony kit in my vento.
The interior also needs to be looked at by a good designer who can bring the colours, space and textures together to give a better feel!
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:23   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags.singh View Post
Got delivery of my mini-truck today Now need to decide how to accessorize etc. Most important and urgent are the floor mats and sun-film. Other stuff like TPMS can be done over time. Don't think I'll go for any coating etc as whatever I can understand by reading the threads on TBHP, the opinion seems to be divided.

Noticed 2 issues while taking delivery which the dealer has committed to resolve at the time of first service (have taken it in writing)-
- Minor paint scratch marks on the front RHS fender/bumper. These were not there during the pre-registration PDI. Dealer said that polishing will take care of this.
- Rear side lock doesn't work sometimes (when you push back the folded seat into the upright position). Unfortunately hadn't checked this during PDI but there should be an easy fix to this and dealer has committed to get this fixed during first service center visit.

Will keep folks here updated with ownership experience.

The car just looks awesome. Congratulations on your new ride !
Just keen to know how gracious were the showroom to swap the all black alloys with the reqular XZA+ alloys ? Did they charge anything extra for the swap ?
I am planning to go with XZA+ Red with the dark edition alloys.
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:06   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1881 View Post
Just keen to know how gracious were the showroom to swap the all black alloys with the reqular XZA+ alloys ? Did they charge anything extra for the swap.
Hey, I didn't swap the alloys. Its actually the telesto grey version with standard dual tone diamond cut alloys available on XZA+ variant.
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:47   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
Test drove the harrier.

..........the sound quality is a big let down in a 25 lakh car. Unless the td vehicle has something wrong that the numerous set up changes we tried didn't resolve, the sound simply didn't compete well even with the ten year old 20/30K sony kit in my vento........

True that one. Even I felt the family Vento's stock unit overall generated slightly better tone than the Harrier. Strange of Tata to downgrade from harman Kardon units in lower range vehicles to JBL in a higher range vehicle.
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 16:25   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags.singh View Post
Hey, I didn't swap the alloys. Its actually the telesto grey version with standard dual tone diamond cut alloys available on XZA+ variant.
My bad. The colour looked strikingly similar to the Dark Edition.
My mind is completely occupied on swapping the dual tone alloys with all black one
Old 24th November 2020, 19:59   #427
BHPian

Quote:
My mind is completely occupied on swapping the dual tone alloys with all black one
@kiran have you bought your Harrier? Which color?
Old 25th November 2020, 00:58   #428
BHPian

Quote:

I'm interested in this too. Do let me know how much the dealer charges for a swap before delivery.
Old 25th November 2020, 09:01   #429
BHPian

Guys, I test drove the Harrier twice in recent past since its one of the 3 options I am considering. One thing that struck me odd was that if you are driving in manual mode and your speed is not appropriate then it denies the upshift or downshift. In other words it dictates when you can downshift or upshift. In that case what is the use of a manual mode?

Is this normal? I test drove the Creta as well dont think that had the same behavior I was able to change as per my wish. After all that is what we need in manual mode right?

Since I have not driven many automatics in manual mode wanted to know your experience in other cars.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 09:13   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
One thing that struck me odd was that if you are driving in manual mode and your speed is not appropriate then it denies the upshift or downshift.
But why would you want to shift gears at speeds that are way off suitable speeds ? Either the rpm would shoot up with a jerk in vehicle motion, or it would lug and may be stop.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 11:57   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But why would you want to shift gears at speeds that are way off suitable speeds ? Either the rpm would shoot up with a jerk in vehicle motion, or it would lug and may be stop.
Isnt the whole point of manual mode to get more control? Sure, I wouldnt downshift in insane speeds but may be slightly outside the normal range to get more power to overtake (downshift earlier) or get more mileage (upshift earlier).

What I experienced is the ranges are textbook, I am not sure if the manual book documents these speeds may be some owner can comment.

But I feel it defeats the whole purpose of the manual mode. If I were to upshift downshift based on what the gearbox recommends then I will use the D mode only isnt it?
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 13:48   #432
BHPian

@kiran1881 just noticed that you are looking to buy a red Harrier but want black alloys. I am in the opposite boat. I want the dark edition but not really a fan of the all black alloys with the dark edition. I am also from Bangalore around Whitefield. I don’t know where you are based.
But if the dealer does not agree to do a swap, maybe we could swap on our own.
I am planning to take a test drive this week or next.
Garth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 14:20   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

@suchit - so if you can be more clear on what you are asking, people can give better answers.

When you ask "So what is the point", yes what is the point ? What is the point of getting a AT ? One can just get a manual and change gears at will - may be 25 in 5th ? or 6th ? Even with manuals, there are recommended speeds to change gears (different point that many are not aware, and most dont practice it. Of those who do, it is still a little below recommended speeds. If you think that such recommendations are bumkum, then manufacturers may be crazy to even mention that point in the owners manual.

May be better get the Creta which looks more to your expected behaviour. Would be better than getting the Harrier and then complaining about it through the years that you will have the vehicle with you.

Last edited by condor : 25th November 2020 at 14:30.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 15:35   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
True that one. Even I felt the family Vento's stock unit overall generated slightly better tone than the Harrier. Strange of Tata to downgrade from harman Kardon units in lower range vehicles to JBL in a higher range vehicle.
It's a JBL? I thought it was the Infinity range. Well, since they copied everything from the Hector!! Either ways., It's a shame if the ICE is not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
[

The Harrier was initially supposed to be based on the Freelander 2's L359 platform when it 1st went into development around 2014, but sensibly that idea was dropped & finally the D8 architecture was chosen from L550 which is the Discovery Sport Platform. Tata Motors call this the Omega Platform.
Great review

How much is the mileage? And how does it change in ECO vs other modes?

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Also,

Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th November 2020 at 15:53. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 25th November 2020, 20:55   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
@kiran1881 just noticed that you are looking to buy a red Harrier but want black alloys. I am in the opposite boat. I want the dark edition but not really a fan of the all black alloys with the dark edition. I am also from Bangalore around Whitefield. I don’t know where you are based.
But if the dealer does not agree to do a swap, maybe we could swap on our own.
I am planning to take a test drive this week or next.
I am staying around Rajajinagar. I am planning to book one around Feb-Mar 2021. I will keep you alerted on my plan and status. Thanks for the offer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks