Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 10:19   #661
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanthosh View Post
My advice would be to go for a couple of more test drives with different vehicles, if available.

Given your height, I do think you may have to face the issue of knee fouling with the central console unless you keep the seat really back and low.
Thank you for your opinion. I am planning to take a detailed test drive once again with another dealership and trying to find a demo car that has run at-least 10k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post

There are absolutely no issues in braking in my car (XZA+ Variant). The TD car has indeed been abused badly resulting in poor braking.

Absolutely correct observation regarding the pathetic execution of the matting under the handbrake.

And regarding minor execution / refinement flaws, you are going to find plenty of them, my friend. The number of these minor flaws I have noticed in my car has increased manifold throughout the last 22 days of my ownership. But the good thing is, 95% of them do not affect the performance or hinder with the capabilities of the car in any way whatsoever.

I would say wait for further improvements, if you have no problem waiting. You will get a better product. And you will end up listening to both your heart and mind (a rare circumstance).
I am not too concerned about these small fit and finish issues as no car is perfect and given Tata's reputation, I see they are struggling hard to get better products and they are in the right direction. All I am concerned about is I need a mechanically fit, safe and reliable car.

I did some further research and the showroom owner himself said that there is an issue with the brakes and he has found the same in some new cars as well. From his statement, I felt that some particular batch of cars might have this braking issue and not all, but it's just an assumption and we need to dig into this further. Also, moreover, this issue is observed when the Harrier has run more than 5k kms.

Secondly, I would be extremely happy if Tata adds rear disc brakes and EPB into the Harrier as they did in the Safari. I am sure the braking will vastly improve and with the EPB, we will get some usable area in place of that bulky aircraft like handbrake. Tata, please update the Harrier asap, it shouldn't be a tedious task!
Old 31st January 2021, 11:52   #662
BHPian

Just here to give some points on the braking performance of Tata cars. My family has owned various Tata cars at some stage or the other. Just to give you an idea, it started with a Tata Estate, Sierra, Safari, Indica, Indigo, Zest and I now own a Hexa. Have at some point driven most of the other cars from Tata. In all these cars what has been a common trait are the brake feel and the spongy feel of the brake pedal. The Indigo was the exception. The ride quality though has been consistently good in all these cars. The performance of the brakes however have been a mixed bag alongwith the build quality and electrical niggles. My Hexa is around 40000kms old and hasn't thrown up any issues as yet.
studedude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 14:32   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
Thank you for your opinion.
I did some further research and the showroom owner himself said that there is an issue with the brakes !
Mine is an August manufactured automatic which completed 12k kms on the odo . Had to undergo a couple of sudden braking scenarios and brakes behaved well . Compared to lighter cars , the braking distance is more. As FWD , don’t know how much percentage we can increase the braking performance by opting to rear disc brakes
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:22   #664
BHPian

When did Tata remove 2 rear parking sensor out of 4?

Until launch of Camo edition, I can see 4 rear parking sensors in reviews/photos, but mine has only 2 (XZA Dec 2020 mfg).
Old 31st January 2021, 20:48   #665
Senior - BHPian

the side proximity sensors on Tata Harrier 2020 that bleeps as soon as a scooter comes near is a massive irritation, is there any way to deactivate those sensors.
Old 31st January 2021, 22:33   #666
BHPian

Completed 5000 kms in exactly 2 months. Actually I should say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210131-18.00.03.jpeg
Highh5 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 23:03   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Completed 5000 kms in exactly 2 months. Actually I should say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Attachment 2116279
That's some good number of kms munched in just 2 months. The Harrier is a great and comfortable touring machine
Thank you for sharing!
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:09   #668
BHPian

I want to ask the owners of harrier, how inconvenient is the handbrake? Why is there so much complaint about it?
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:25   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I want to ask the owners of harrier, how inconvenient is the handbrake? Why is there so much complaint about it?
Since the time I bought this car, I have no complaints about it. In fact, I liked it more than the conventional ones.

I feel it's just a habit of unlearning and then learning something different which people are averse to. I find it functional as well as adds some character to the interiors.
Highh5 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:51   #670
BHPian

Quote:
I find it more comfortable than the conventional one, may be am using an automatic and hill hold function is a default feature .
Manual users can comment on it better
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:15   #671
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the complaints stems from the first batches of 2019, where the plastics were crackly and not well put together. Few from the media drive cars also mentioned that the unlatch switch under the brake was not ergonomic.
For me, I like the implementation better, when compared to the manual handbrakes in other cars. Its very easy to engage and disengage and I feel that its ergonomically much better.

Last edited by AmitRavi07 : 2nd February 2021 at 10:17. Reason: typo
AmitRavi07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:50   #672
BHPian

Has anyone explored the feasibility of getting the integrated TPMS (from the Safari) on to the BS6 Harrier's?
Old 3rd February 2021, 00:32   #673
BHPian

Quote:
For me too, engaging handbrake is effortless and easy. Takes a little bit of learning, especially to use your fingers to release the button under the handle.
rsanthosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:09   #674
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone kindly share a photo of the handbrake in Harrier.

After reading multiple posts about the handbrake, curious to see how it's positioned in the car and how is it different from conventional hand brakes in other cars.

Could not see exclusive picture even in official review.
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:31   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Can anyone kindly share a photo of the handbrake in Harrier.

After reading multiple posts about the handbrake, curious to see how it's positioned in the car and how is it different from conventional hand brakes in other cars.

Could not see exclusive picture even in official review.
Instead of pictures youtube videos would be better to understand the design and working, just search it there, there are tons on video.

Most Viewed