Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 11:36   #721
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
Quick question for the experts.

Having researched the Harrier extensively, for me the key difference between two Harrier Automatics, XMA and XZA, is the feature - Traction Control System (TC/TCS).
Starting 2020, with the BS6 variants, all electronic safety features are standard across all models from XE to XZ+.
The only difference between XM and XZ is in airbags, which in itself is worth the premium over XM variant.
AmitRavi07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 13:00   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post

I was drooling around Tuscon(was not available for test drive back in August) but thinking of usage(rough roads + beater+ Tourer ) + Savings + Awesome driving manners and looks decided to go with Harrier . At 9k within 3 months , for me the decision was good

extremely sorry for back to back posts. Mods , kindly merge the posts.
Even I did consider the Tucson before booking the Harrier XZA+ DT trim and here are my observations. After driving the Harrier and Tucson back to back,
the only aspect I liked about the Tucson is the engine and 8-speed auto gearbox. It works brilliant and is very refined, doesn't feel like diesel and the shifts are really smooth, decently fast but not as fast as DSG a gearbox.
In all other parameters like seating comfort, suspension, build quality, space, road presence, ride, handling, value for money, the Harrier wins hands down! The Tucson feels softly sprung and felt wallovy in turns and sudden change of directions, not as composed and settled as the Harrier. The Harrier on the other hand has a brilliant suspension setup, soaks all undulations without much drama with restricted vertical movements and has a more robust feel.
And the final nail in the coffin was the pricing, even the 2wd Tucson was costing around 32lakhs on road in Belgaum Karnataka whereas the Harrier top spec is costing around 26!

Heard that the production has resumed today and my car should reach dealer by Feb end

Last edited by Venku2015 : 19th February 2021 at 13:04.
Venku2015 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:52   #723
BHPian

Canceled the Seltos and have booked the Harrier XZ+ Dark Edition. Reclaimed my life.
CarGuy_DM is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 20:01   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy_DM View Post
Canceled the Seltos and have booked the Harrier XZ+ Dark Edition. Reclaimed my life.
Congratulations.

I was in the same boat too. Cancelled the Seltos and booked a Harrier.

Watching the number of Seltos / Creta on road everyday just reaffirms my decision to go with the Harrier.
The Riddler is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:10   #725
BHPian

So the Tata Harrier has been at the near top of my consideration set for a while now. The only issue at the back of my mind was the sheer size and heft of the car and whether it would make sense for me to buy it, considering the majority of my driving is within the city and considering the Mumbai traffic scene. A weekend plan to Pune and my Honda City's battery going kaput was all I needed to try out the Harrier. I rented a 2019 Harrier XZ through MyChoize (good service and well maintained cars - would recommend).

Although it was the older model (140 ps and manual), it was not the base trim, so I got to try out most of the features and the vehicle was in good condition - had done barely 16k kilometers.

300 Kms later, I really started loving the vehicle.

The Good:
  • Great presence and killer looks - still turns heads
  • Good ride quality and decent power on tap - manages bad roads with aplomb
  • Munches miles without any fuss - this car is at home on the highway
  • Spacious! - comfortably seats 5 and swallows a lot of luggage

I can only imagine how much more powerful yet convenient the 170ps Automatic should be!

The bad :
  • NVH - not the most refined (hopefully the 2020 version has improved on this)
  • Crazy huge ORVMs - thankfully sorted in the new version
  • Ergonomics - my left knee did foul against the dash regularly
  • The size is not the most city-friendly
  • The steering was a tad sensitive and twitchy at high speeds. I hear it has improved in the newer version

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-pxl_20210221_104002965.jpg

& the ugly :
  • The hornpad material is an absolute eyesore (picture attached below) and has no business in a car of this price point. Absolutely takes away from the premium experience of the otherwise nice interiors

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-pxl_20210221_103959726.mp.jpg

My key takeaway is that this is a compelling product from Tata - despite this being the 2019 model, I liked the car. Knowing that the 2020 version is an improvement in every way makes it an even more serious contender. My heart is smitten, but the mind is still see-sawing. I really don't need a Diesel, and the majority of my driving being in the city I would honestly be better off with a smaller Petrol SUV (possibly the upcoming Kushaq or Taigun?).

Nonetheless the Harrier is a great car and truly shines on the highway. I will definitely test drive the automatic top end before making a decision!
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-pxl_20210221_064542323.jpg  

Shreyas_H is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:12   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy_DM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Congratulations.

I was in the same boat too. Cancelled the Seltos and booked a Harrier.

Watching the number of Seltos / Creta on road everyday just reaffirms my decision to go with the Harrier.
You guys have made the best decision, you will be delighted with the Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Nonetheless the Harrier is a great car and truly shines on the highway. I will definitely test drive the automatic top end before making a decision!
You will definitely change your mind once you test drive the 2020 Harrier AT
I am saying this as I have gone through the exact same state of dilemma as you are today and the Harrier came out as an all-round winner. My Harrier XZA+DT is in transit as I write this and should be able to take delivery by this month-end
Venku2015 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:57   #727
BHPian

Smitten by the Safari bug, I am planning to skip segments from the present booking of Altroz I turbo XZ+ to Harrier XT. I am looking at owning a baby Safari! (Don't need the 2 extra seats and the price saving and slightly smaller footprint are the resons for Harrier over Safari). Can anyone tell me how is the XT variant of the 2020 Harrier. Also if anyone can share the pics of this variant, would really help me. Also any thoughts on this decision.
Raghuwire is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:26   #728
BHPian

Re: All-new Tata Safari launched at Rs. 14.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
Considering the present discounts on Harrier the difference comes out to be around ~ 2L. Is it worth spending 2L more on the Safari when I don't have a real requirement of a 7 seater. I would have loved the EPB, Connected Car & Rear discs on the Harrier but I am unable to convince myself to pay 2L for these features. All said and done, even If at all I start considering the Safari for the above feature additions, My mind will start convincing me to wait for the upcoming XUV which would have all these features and some more.
I second your thoughts and considering the discount I got on the Harrier, I am going to continue with my booking and take delivery of the Harrier XZA+DT.

The upcoming Kushaq and Taigun were striked-off my list since they will be not be as robust as the Harrier plus both of them miss out on the Panoramic sunroof and the current petrol prices add to the flames even more

Last edited by manson : 26th February 2021 at 09:35. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Venku2015 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:05   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
I second your thoughts and considering the discount I got on the Harrier, I am going to continue with my booking and take delivery of the Harrier XZA+DT.

The upcoming Kushaq and Taigun were striked-off my list since they will be not be as robust as the Harrier plus both of them miss out on the Panoramic sunroof and the current petrol prices add to the flames even more
By the way, how much discount did you get for the XZA+ DT variant I am still negotiating for the Dark edition variant and so far the SA has just offered me some discount from the Insurance amount.
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:13   #730
BHPian

Quote:
The upcoming Kushaq and Taigun were striked-off my list since they will be not be as robust as the Harrier plus both of them miss out on the Panoramic sunroof :
As per the links below, it seems Taigun may have panoramic sunroof.

https://www.volkswagenmadras.com/volkswagen-taigun
https://indianautosblog.com/volkswag...-video-p322132
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:19   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Considering the present discounts on Harrier the difference comes out to be around ~ 2L.
Could you get 1L discount on Harrier? In which model you could get that?
In Mumbai, I have tried my best, but they are offering 25K cash discount on all models except the top XZA+. For XZA+ they are offering only 40K exchange bonus, which is only a marketing gimmick for me. I know their valuation of my vehicle will be less compared to the market price. So in nutshell no discount. If you can let me know the dealer, that will be great.
Sreejith V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:20   #732
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
By the way, how much discount did you get for the XZA+ DT variant I am still negotiating for the Dark edition variant and so far the SA has just offered me some discount from the Insurance amount.
Saved around 50k in the insurance + 40k exchange bonus + some dealer disc in terms of free accessories(He's a good friend of mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
As per the links below, it seems Taigun may have a panoramic sunroof.

video-p322132[/url]
Yes I did read, but again the Taigun is petrol only plus will be launching in July-August which I cannot hold until.
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:56   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Saved around 50k in the insurance + 40k exchange bonus + some dealer disc in terms of free accessories(He's a good friend of mine)
I am getting a similar deal. So far have been offered 50K from the Insurance and 40K exchange bonus. I am on the last leg of negotiation for the free accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
Could you get 1L discount on Harrier? In which model you could get that?
In Mumbai, I have tried my best, but they are offering 25K cash discount on all models except the top XZA+. For XZA+ they are offering only 40K exchange bonus, which is only a marketing gimmick for me. I know their valuation of my vehicle will be less compared to the market price. So in nutshell no discount. If you can let me know the dealer, that will be great.
Venku has answered your query above. The major part of the discount comes from Insurance which is ~50K. For me the dealer gave good buyback for my existing vehicle as well (which is a 1 Lac Km+ run Skoda Car ) The exchange bonus is not actually a total marketing gimmick. This is the amount which the dealer receives from the OEM (Tata Motors in this case). So if you have a good dealer whose main aim is to sell you the car and make money then they will offer you a good exchange value instead of maximizing his profits on both the new car sale as well as the old car sale.

I am dealing with Heritage Motors, Thane and the SA is actually an ex VW SA and so far my interactions with him has been excellent. I can pass on his number to you, you can speak to him and give my reference, else what variant are you looking for and which is your existing vehicle you want to exchange maybe we can negotiate a better deal for 2 Cars.

Just for the benefit of Forum members, I want to highlight the sorry state of affairs of TATA motor Dealers. For the sake of having a better negotiation, I had contacted another Tata Motor Dealer in Mulund (Keshva Motors) and the overall experience was pathetic. I spoke to an SA & told him I coming to check out the Harrier. After reaching there, I called him to ask where can I find parking. He came out and started looking at me in a confused state and said there is no parking. I looked at him perplexed expecting him to find some solution. He kept looking left, right and momentarily towards me. He walked a few steps on either side of the road half heartedly attempting to find parking. I told him that I am leaving as I have somewhere else to go. He said, "OK sir, will you come back or we will talk on the phone". I Politely told him, you cannot get a parking for me how will you sell a car ? He never bothered to call me back.
MadAbtCars is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:50   #734
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting a similar deal. So far have been offered 50K from the Insurance and 40K exchange bonus. I am on the last leg of negotiation for the free accessories
Thanks mate. I haven't considered insurance discount into the calculation, since I always insisted them to match the quote from ICICI Lombard. Regarding the exchange bonus, anyway it is of no use for me, since my car is Kerala registration and I am not planning to sell it off.
Having planned all these, now I am in a dilemma after SAFARI launch. My mind says SAFARI. I want to see Adventure Persona variant in flesh and will take a decision.
Sreejith V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 15:58   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags.singh View Post
I took another TD of the Harrier AT ...

What is bothering me is this - during and after driving both the times, I did get a feeling of slight rocking/moving similar to what you get on a boat. I wouldn't call it motion sickness but it was a similar feeling. I didn't get this when I drove other cars (Crysta, Compass, Tucson) recently. Could it be because of this particular TD car (I drove the same car both the times) or is it something to do with the suspension set-up of Harrier? Has anyone else felt this? Would also appreciate some advise on how can I eliminate this concern. For me, now this is the only point that I need to get convinced about before making the booking....
This reply is likely to be too late for you - I just came across your post with this observation.

Your observation is spot-on. I test drove a Harrier AT twice from KHT Motors, B'lore. The vehicle has a mild rocking motion when a wheel goes across a rough patch or pothole. Its a mild side-to-side sway motion during recovery from the road irregularity and the suspension does not ride flat in a pure vertical and damped re-bound like in say a Duster, Tucson or even the new Creta.

Since I own a Duster, this mild rocking of the Harrier is definitely noticeable and for me, appeared to be above the acceptable threshold for any well tuned suspension.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed