Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:39   #736
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Dear Harrier Owners,

I am reading a few rusting issues on Twitter and wanted some feedback. I was told that the paints these days are fantastic and resistant enough and does not require any external coating/protection.

I intend to get a white Harrier this month and would like to know if I need to spend some more money to avoid rusting.

Please share your feedback and if you have experienced any rusting of the metal.

Although I am going for the Harrier as I love the car my mind constantly is telling me to go for Kushaq since I cannot be happier owning a Polo.
abhatt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:28   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
I am reading a few rusting issues on Twitter and wanted some feedback. I was told that the paints these days are fantastic and resistant enough and does not require any external coating/protection.

Although I am going for the Harrier as I love the car my mind constantly is telling me to go for Kushaq since I cannot be happier owning a Polo.
I had seen this in some of the earlier batches of 2019 when Harrier was launched. Haven't seen any rust issues being reported from other Harrier owners - bs6. I also have not faced any rusting issues in my car, which is bs4.
Paint quality is good and I don't have any complaints with paint quality. Having said that a lot of owners I know of have got PPF and ceramic coating done on their car.

Regarding waiting for Kushaq, my suggestion would be to wait for it to be launched and then decide between the two cars.
AmitRavi07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 21:05   #738
BHPian

My dealer is telling me that Tata is not even taking orders as the anticipated wait time is now around 3 months. He isn't ready to reduce a penny except insurance which he is ok with me getting my own.

If anyone is in the buying phase, please share your experience.
Old 5th March 2021, 22:09   #739
BHPian

Quote:
My dealer is telling me that Tata is not even taking orders as the anticipated wait time is now around 3 months. He isn't ready to reduce a penny except insurance which he is ok with me getting my own.

Hello abhatt,

I can confirm that no discounts are being offered on XZA+ variant here in Mangalore - other than the 40k exchange bonus.

I booked my XZA+ on Feb 5th, 2021. The vehicle hasn't been billed from the plant yet. Absolutely no updates from the dealer.
The Riddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 23:56   #740
BHPian

Had a TD of the Harrier in MT and AT guise a few weeks ago when I was out of home for some work.

Here are my impressions after driving the Harrier:

-That looks!This is enough why people are preferring Harrier over Creta/Seltos these days and especially, in black colour, which is a beast and if I get it tinted, it looks like Mafia
-Drivability of MT version felt better than AT version in terms of pickup and has punch in the engine though the performance of AT is not bad and prefer AT over MT any day being a big car
-Can touch 100 Kmph easily in 3rd gear even though being an SUV
-Has good front visibility and can see the road well
-The ride quality is excellent and one of the best
-The rear seat has good space and comfort, thanks to panoramic sunroof
-The only thing which I didn't like is hand brake. I couldn't engage the hand brake down easily and needed some effort to engage the hand brake down. Atleast, Tata could have offered electronic parking brake, which is now available in Safari as well as in Creta and Compass

Overall,I loved the Harrier and the only grouse with the car is the poorly designed hand brake.

In terms of pricing, I felt the Harrier is bit expensive at Rs.25L, but, a worth buy but since the car will be used by my dad, who is adamant of spending Rs.25L on Tata vehicle and instead, he said going for Innova Crysta makes sense as our preferred versions of Crysta is a lac cheaper or more than the Harrier.

After seeing the recent niggles threads of the Harrier in the forum, this won't be our next buy as I don't want to make my dad regret buying this and I don't want to make him face the hassles with the vehicle in the long run and with the service centers as well.

Hence, the Harrier might be out of the list until and unless Tata improves the quality of the car.
car_guy1998 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 10:20   #741
BHPian

My harrier has run about 1500 Kms and is going for first service soon. Have a few questions:

1. I hear a very mild grinding noise and vibrations when taking left turns (possibly) from steering column - can sense some roughness when the steering wheel is turned towards extreme left. Don't notice this while turning right. Anyone else had this issue ?

2. When the car was delivered DEF level was at the half-way mark (not closer to Full level). When I asked the sales exec about this, he said it is the norm in a very unconvincing tone. Now I see after 1500 Kms the DEF level has further dipped and may have to be topped up during first service. Is this the norm ?

Thanks!

Last edited by pc73 : 6th March 2021 at 10:29.
Old 6th March 2021, 10:34   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post

2. When the car was delivered DEF level was at the half-way mark (not closer to Full level). When I asked the sales exec about this, he said it is the norm in a very unconvincing tone. Now I see after 1500 Kms the DEF level has further dipped and may have to be topped up during first service. Is this the norm ?

Thanks!
Yes this is the norm. The DEF on my Harrier came half full. In the first service they top it up to full tank which is a major part of the first service bill.
nkaru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 09:16   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post

1. I hear a very mild grinding noise and vibrations when taking left turns (possibly) from steering column - can sense some roughness when the steering wheel is turned towards extreme left. Don't notice this while turning right. Anyone else had this issue ?
Not sure about the noise but car moving left is a known issue with some 2020 Harrier’s.
thetank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 13:45   #744
BHPian

Good afternoon everybody, From last few days feeling joyous owing to lots of good things happening and some of them which are about to happen.

After a slight extended tenure in remote eastern parts of our beautiful country, I am finally at a new location which is marginally better and hoping to stay here for at least two years, fingers crossed.
But looking at urban chaos and traffic it seems hills or tier 7 remote locations are better for my type of personality.

About two years back, I was about to book mighty Hexa XT but refrained due to my forthcoming relocation. After a lot of coaxing by my better half, I have finally decided to take a plunge again.

Went to Tata showroom yesterday with my spouse and toddler who were going to give me final approval between Sunroof or not.

My Daughter commanded me to book Harrier XZA+ (White) (While my spouse is watching my reaction with her peripheral vision). Delivery expected within 4 to 5 weeks.
Opted for 3 year extended warranty.
(I quoted 25960 as on TML website but SA informed me that its 30K for automatic, Dear BHPians please confirm)

I have refused for any service or logistical charges which SA accepted in one go and was smiling. Insurance from my side - again SA obliged.
PDI before invoice and registration (SA quoted this is norm these days, am surprised by informed buyer traits)
No offer or discount on XZA+

Spouse told me to hold on to my SX4 till the time she gets comfortable with automatic and there I saw my 40K exchange bonus waving goodbye to me.

MOD NOTE - Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th March 2021 at 10:33. Reason: Mod note attached.
Aviatoraval is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 14:30   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post

Opted for 3 year extended warranty.
(I quoted 25960 as on TML website but SA informed me that its 30K for automatic, Dear BHPians please confirm)
Congrats for the booking. The extended warranty quote is 30k for the automatic
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 19:44   #746
BHPian

Quote:

I booked XZA DT (Red) trim on 24th Feb and was given an indicative waiting time of 3 weeks. Just heard from my SA that the vehicle has been allocated at factory and will take around 6-7 days to reach dealer.

There is no discount on XZA+ trim but XZA has a 25K discount. No other discounts or freebies. SA reduced the insurance part but could not match the quotes from outside. So he is fine with me getting the insurance done by myself. If you are in Bangalore I can get you connected to my SA.
AG-D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 21:54   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-D View Post
I booked XZA DT (Red) trim on 24th Feb

There is no discount on XZA+ trim but XZA has a 25K discount. No other discounts or freebies.
Congrats for Harrier.

Absolutely correct, no offer or discount on XZA+. If choice is XZA over XZA+ then one can actually save 1.2 lakh + 25K discount + lesser IDV and Registration, all in all about 1.5 lakh savings. It actually makes sense, unless you have an irrational and rigid toddler to boss you around.

Just unable to decipher TML strategy, do they want to promote XZA by giving offer or they know that more bookings will be for XZA+ and thus milking the opportunity.

Anyway on my XZA+, I still managed to get free mats and 10K discount on 3 year EW
Aviatoraval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 19:47   #748
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Harrier XZ AT yesterday soon after driving the Compass S diesel AT.

The Harrier lets you know without any uncertainty that it is a big car. The massive bonnet in view, width of the interiors - in fact even the glove compartment is a stretch from the drivers seat. In that respect it is value for money.

The seats are comfortable, there weren’t any rattles and squeaks in this TD car. The steering isn’t as heavy at low speeds as I expected and while light, it not did get flighty at up to 80. She pulled well too, when encouraged, and gear shifts are smooth and uneventful. The impressive thunk of the doors is closer to being like VW than even the Compass (which while feeling heavy and solid, sounds clunky and metallic like a Maruti).

Now for the not so good bits. Note that I’m comparing this not just to the Compass, but also to my 2013 Rapid/2014 Vento and previous Chevy Spark.

The interior plastics are good, they don’t themselves flex or scratch, and sound solid when tapped. But there is something about the assembly that feels low rent in a way that’s difficult to describe.

The AT lever was wobbly, unlike that of the Compass, and the indicator stalk mechanism felt and sounded poor to use. The central tunnel including the hand brake lever is shaky and creaks when jostled. The Start/Stop button was an irregular scratched white patch in a black surround. The engine is gravelly at all speeds, and also gets loud when pushed. This is even when comparing it to the Vento 1.6 diesel, which is well insulated from the passenger cabin.

It feels like the parts quality has gone up, but they still need to understand that putting these parts together needs more attention so that they feel solid, well damped, well assembled, smooth.

I’m not in any way saying that the Harrier isn’t a good buy. Everything was working, there were no issues other than the pathetic rear view camera feed - which really has to be seen to be believed. I think it depends a lot on the vehicles from which one is upgrading. A Maruti, or any Mahindra user would be very happy. Anyone used to how the Hyundai’s or VW interiors feel will be a bit disappointed.

This is value for money in the “more car per car” sense, and I’ve heard they’re now reliable too
VeluM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 09:57   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
It feels like the parts quality has gone up, but they still need to understand that putting these parts together needs more attention so that they feel solid, well damped, well assembled, smooth.
I second this. While the Harrier has many positives, attention to detail and craftmanship seems to be lacking. Interior quality is not as good as my 2012 Vento. Below are images of the strip above the windows in my Camo (the only chrome part, which I would rather not have), which is a shoddy assembly job. The misalignment on both sides is a big eyesore and clearly stands out even from a distance. Checked with SA during first service and he said nothing can be done about it. Any ideas welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_0864.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_0865.jpg  

Last edited by pc73 : 9th March 2021 at 10:09.
pc73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 19:19   #750
BHPian

Noticed something weird recently. Before the first service, I was able to see the navigation instructions and media details in 7" mid. Post software upgrade to V15, its gone missing.

When I enquired with one of my friends, he claim to have never seen it in his car.

Attaching a photo of the mid prior to the infotainment update. Looking forward to hear from fellow owners.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-mid.jpg  

Turbo_head is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks