Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2021, 15:11   #751
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_head View Post
Noticed something weird recently. Before the first service, I was able to see the navigation instructions and media details in 7" mid. Post software upgrade to V15, its gone missing.

When I enquired with one of my friends, he claim to have never seen it in his car.

Attaching a photo of the mid prior to the infotainment update. Looking forward to hear from fellow owners.
I got my Harrier with V15 software, and never saw any such data in the speedo MID. Looks like these details have been removed in V15.
Old 11th March 2021, 18:03   #752
BHPian

Thanks for the confirmation. It was a good feature which allows you to drive without having to look in to the infotainment screen which can cause distraction.

Felt like a premium feature in the Skoda's and VW's but now that's gone.
Old 11th March 2021, 21:17   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_head View Post
Noticed something weird recently. Before the first service, I was able to see the navigation instructions and media details in 7" mid. Post software upgrade to V15, its gone missing.
Have you tried the cast option from the settings menu?

Its the 8 icon in the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier_quick_drawer.png  

AmitRavi07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 22:42   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitRavi07 View Post

Its the 8 icon in the attached pic.
Thank you very much ! Thats pretty much the option I didnt know about !I tried it and works as expected.
Turbo_head is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 14:04   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitRavi07 View Post
Thanks, this was useful to know. Have a few questions about navigation and music playback:

1. Do most people listen to streaming music or do people still use USB sticks ?
2. Do folks prefer to use google maps directly on the phone or via Apple Carplay (or Andriod Auto) ?

The reasons I am asking these questions are due to few inconveniences I am facing.

I mostly play music from USB sticks. Since there is only one USB port connected to HU, I can only connect my phone or USB stick - so I can't use Apple Carplay and also play music (I am a bit old school in terms of choice of music - so not a user of streaming services). To avoid this issue, I decided to use the phone directly for navigation (which I prefer in portrait orientation rather than landscape orientation in which map is shown with Carplay on a not-so-large screen), but then I see if phone is connected to HU with bluetooth (which it always is since it is paired!), the google maps voice instructions on phone don't work (!) - not sure if it is problem with phone or HU - if I turn off bluetooth on the phone, I get the voice navigation instructions on the phone. With the casting of navigation indicators possible, I would rather use Carplay + casting along with navigation voice instructions through the car speakers, but then I can't play music from my USB sticks.

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Harman HU seems to have a lower limit on the number of folders on USB stick it can index (my previous car, 2012 Vento music system had much higher limit, atleast 10K folders) - so I now have to split the single 128GB stick (I used with Vento) into 4 32GB sticks. And each time I switch USB sticks, the HU takes couple of minutes to generate the index and show the folders (had not seen such latency in my 9 year old Vento HU even with a 128 GB stick with >5000 folders). But I can live with this and don't consider this as much of a problem as compared to having either Carplay or music from USB stick.

Do units on other cars support Carplay (or Andriod Auto) along with music from USB stick ? I guess there should be theoretically no technical issue in the music system supporting 2 USB ports, other than additional cost of doing it, but then I am not sure. Just to experiment I tried a passive USB hub (to connect both phone and USB stick) and as I expected it does not work.

Last edited by pc73 : 12th March 2021 at 14:14.
Old 12th March 2021, 17:44   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
Thanks, this was useful to know. Have a few questions about navigation and music playback:

1. Do most people listen to streaming music or do people still use USB sticks ?
2. Do folks prefer to use google maps directly on the phone or via Apple Carplay (or Andriod Auto) ?
I was tired of maintaining playlist on usb and moved to streaming services long time ago. I prefer to use AA or Carplay, because I can see the details in mid, a small setting, but, now mostly I dont even look at the infotainment screen for navigation.
AmitRavi07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 19:30   #757
BHPian

My Harrier XZA+ has arrived at the dealership. Did a PDI today. All good.

Decoded the VIN and it is a March 2021 manufactured car. Delivery scheduled this week.

Here's a sneak peak
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-thumbnail_20210315_121954.jpg  

The Riddler is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:48   #758
BHPian

Looks like Tata has reduced the number of parking sensors to 2 in the 2021 model. Our official review has a picture with 4 rear parking sensors. Checked my 2021 March manufactured Harrier today and noticed during PDI that it now comes with 2 rear parking sensors (just like the Safari)

Last edited by The Riddler : 15th March 2021 at 22:49. Reason: Spelling
The Riddler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:40   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
My Harrier XZA+ has arrived at the dealership. Did a PDI today. All good.

Decoded the VIN and it is a March 2021 manufactured car. Delivery scheduled this week.

Here's a sneak peak
Congrats for new car. White DT is looking awesome. Now I am wondering about my booking choice of full white.

When did you book it? I did mine on first week of march and delivery promised in april first week

While booking SA informed me that parking sensors have been reduced to 2 from 4 but wont make much of a difference though I don't have any tech knowhow of this but feel its going to affect.
Old 16th March 2021, 09:48   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post
Congrats for new car. White DT is looking awesome. Now I am wondering about my booking choice of full white.

When did you book it? I did mine on first week of march and delivery promised in april first week

While booking SA informed me that parking sensors have been reduced to 2 from 4 but wont make much of a difference though I don't have any tech knowhow of this but feel its going to affect.
Many dealers are getting the black roof done for free. I was offered XZA+ instead of XZA+ DT with the promise of it being the exact same thereby saving 25k.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 10:48   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Many dealers are getting the black roof done for free. I was offered XZA+ instead of XZA+ DT with the promise of it being the exact same thereby saving 25k.
That said - if the factory DT is a paint (which I believe it is) - it will be better spending the 25K. I believe the dealerships would just give a black vinyl wrap. It won't last a fraction of what a factory finish paint would. Instead - a fellow BHPian - purchased a single tone Nexon and actually got it properly painted with dual tone roof at the dealership body-shop at much lower price. I'd opt for this instead of a vinyl wrap any day.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 16:17   #762
BHPian

Tata may produce great cars. But the dealer experience remains 0 star as always.

First of all when we went to book the Harrier, there was no test drive vehicle. Nor even a display car in the showroom.

My family was disappointed but I still went ahead with the booking.

After the test drive, the family didn’t like the interiors of the car considering we were paying 21 lakhs. So after lot of ifs and buts, booked the Hector.

Now starts the worst experience. I am hunting the dealership for the refund since the past 1 month. They don’t even pick my calls anymore. I have been to the showroom thrice.

As of past Saturday, the cheque is ready but the showroom owner is busy hence he has been unable to sign

Somehow Tata never gets its act together. What will happen when other companies start producing safer cars?
Old 16th March 2021, 16:21   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post

Hello Aviatoraval,

Thank you. I booked my XZA+ on 5th of February. Apparently the dealer is now quoting a waiting time of 2 months for few variants.

White as a standalone color is a good choice too. Thing to note is that the black roof is a pain to maintain.

If you can upgrade your booking to a dual tone, it'll be better as factory paint is better any day than a vinyl sticker job.
The Riddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 19:53   #764
BHPian

Hi,

Has anybody owning October 2020 manufactured Harrier got a call from service center to change the coolant hose ? According to the caller, its a pro active call back to avoid any failure to this part and will take about half day to change it and test for any leakage. I have completed 5500 kms now and has not faced any issues on this front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post

I mostly play music from USB sticks. Since there is only one USB port connected to HU, I can only connect my phone or USB stick - so I can't use Apple Carplay and also play music (I am a bit old school in terms of choice of music - so not a user of streaming services).
Do units on other cars support Carplay (or Andriod Auto) along with music from USB stick ? I guess there should be theoretically no technical issue in the music system supporting 2 USB ports, other than additional cost of doing it, but then I am not sure. Just to experiment I tried a passive USB hub (to connect both phone and USB stick) and as I expected it does not work.
I too feel it inconvenient that I cannot use music USB and Android auto at the same time. Though there are about 5 usb ports in the car, only one is connected to the infotainment system which is not very useful.

Wanted to check if hardwiring of dashcam is a good option. Will that put the electricals warranty void in case we do that ?

Since the only 12 v port is inside the arm rest, I don't want to use it to connect the dashcam. Also hard wiring it will help with parking surveillance which might not work if connected to the 12volts port.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Also, please trim quoted posts before replying. It inconveniences our mobile phone readers.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th March 2021 at 10:56. Reason: Mod note attached.
Turbo_head is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 23:21   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy_DM View Post
Tata may produce great cars. But the dealer experience remains 0 star as always.

First of all when we went to book the Harrier, there was no test drive vehicle. Nor even a display car in the showroom.

My family was disappointed but I still went ahead with the booking.

After the test drive, the family didn’t like the interiors of the car considering we were paying 21 lakhs. So after lot of ifs and buts, booked the Hector.

Now starts the worst experience. I am hunting the dealership for the refund since the past 1 month. They don’t even pick my calls anymore. I have been to the showroom thrice.

As of past Saturday, the cheque is ready but the showroom owner is busy hence he has been unable to sign

Somehow Tata never gets its act together. What will happen when other companies start producing safer cars?

I can understand your concern and fully agree with you. And I have gone one step ahead of you and purchased Harrier XZ+ DT (MY 2121).
Now I am of firm opinion that a Tata car is not worth to spend Rs 20 Lacs. The whole experience from first visit to showroom to buying a Tata car and owning it, is so pathetic and not worth to consider. Neither Tata has expertise to understand and match the expectations of customers who pay above 2 million, nor their authorized dealers have the skill to sell such a product. Probably, Tata and their dealers think that a customer buying Harrier and Tata Ace minitruck are same.
Even after more than 2 years of launch, Tata is not able to produce Harrier with bare minimum fit & finish which is expected from a product in this price range. The ICE still has glitches. There are multiple rough edges. The tail gate alignment is still not sorted out. Attention to details is lacking. Few things are so glaring that I feel even an auto rickshaw will not have such shortcomings. Quality control and factory pre-delivery inspection has been deficient.
Dealing with Tata Motors and their dealers is like dealing with a public sector enterprise. The customer is in need and has to run from post to pillar, begging to get his work done.
The latest Team-BHP review of Tata car (Safari) mentions, "Tata's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble." It is so true and no other words can explain it better. If you are lucky, then it is a hit. And if you are unlucky, then God save you & your Tata car. And then only one thing you can do is, to curse yourself and swear again and again in your mind that I shall not make mistake of buying Tata car again in my life.

@CarGuy_DM. You have done right decision to buy MG Hector. You will not regret it.

My suggestion to everyone is, if you don't hate Hector, buy it over Harrier. If finances can be stretched a little bit, buy Jeep Compass. It is superior to Harrier in every aspect.
Buying a Tata car may be OK upto Altroz or at the most Nexon, but deifinitely not more costly than that. I feel, even for them, better alternatives may be available.

These are my opinions after buying Tata car. Others may not agree with me.
Nayan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed