Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 10:09   #841
MaG
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Yes , Please. It is totally worth it. You should take the maximum extended warranty available. Beyond the obvious peace of mind, it also helps in resale.
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I certainly don't plan to sell it for 5 yrs atleast. Hence, I don't know it the extended warranty would help in resale. However, can you please help me with the extended warranty benefits? In my last automobile purchases like Santro, Honda City, Nissan Terrano, Ertiga, I have felt it's more a waste of money.
Old 14th April 2021, 10:26   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaG View Post
Hi Folks!

I just booked a Harrier XZA yesterday at Pune on the auspicious occasion of Gudi Padwa. I wanted to know whether the extended warranty offered for an additonal year is worth it? The dealer quoted me about 16-18k for the same.
Its very important to take maximum warranty if provided by company. Think it like a insurance premium for three more years.
I took EW extended till 5 year unlimited Kms and its cost was 30K. I also happen to manage about 7000 off on this EW so effectively got it for 23K.

Please do not leave this opportunity just grab it. If you decide after some days then it will be much costlier, its cost depend on days from your car purchase.

Happy driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
Hey @Aviatoraval. Congratulations on your new purchase. The harrier looks stunning in white.
Your hu issues will be sorted after the software update. An easy bypass is to connect your phone and use steering buttons to control everything.

And I can indeed say- happy mile munching. The automatic gives a heavenly driving pleasure.
Thanks a lot.

Hoping for HU issue to never surface after update. Just praying for safe and niggle free ownership.

This machine is truly awesome. Took so many TDs, sometimes just to drive it.

In fact I am noting down all small niggles/ issues/ apprehensions and will get it clarified/ rectified in first service.
I am only worried about its usage, My office to residence is just 2-3 km, Total run is about 5 km daily. Don't know how will I keep up with the Km running. Hoping my Harrier should not have a same fate as my TVS Jupitor which I bought for small errands - 2 years and 1300 km only.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th April 2021 at 23:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Aviatoraval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 13:18   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post
Thanks a lot.

I am only worried about its usage, My office to residence is just 2-3 km, Total run is about 5 km daily. Don't know how will I keep up with the Km running. Hoping my Harrier should not have a same fate as my TVS Jupitor which I bought for small errands - 2 years and 1300 km

Hopefully by first service all niggles will be sorted and may you never face a problem again- my prayers.

Ditto- my home- hospital run is 800 mts to be precise.

But then this is why we have weekends. Weekend drives are the best way to pile up the running as well as exploring the neighbourhood surroundings. Told you my colleague piled up 5000 in nearly one and a half months to be precise. Once you start driving and get used to the power and size- you will look for excuses to go for a drive.

Hope you have a great run.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 18:44   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I certainly don't plan to sell it for 5 yrs atleast. Hence, I don't know it the extended warranty would help in resale. However, can you please help me with the extended warranty benefits? In my last automobile purchases like Santro, Honda City, Nissan Terrano, Ertiga, I have felt it's more a waste of money.
For a Santro or City, it is not surprising that you found the extended warranty as waste of money. Unfortunately as much as we love Tata Motors, their quality processes are still not close to Honda or Hyundai. I don't have a Harrier, but owns a Hexa. Till now I have faced three warranty replacements in my Hexa between the second and third year. Since Harrier offers only a 2 year standard warranty as opposed to Hexa's three year standard warranty, it is a must to take the extended warranty. Take a look at this thread for information on some of the niggles that Harrier faces.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...a-harrier.html (Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier)

That said, please don't get overwhelmed by the thread. Harrier AT would still be my choice in that segment, if I were to shop.
padmrajravi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:39   #845
MaG
BHPian

Hello!
I've been through entire thread of niggles of harrier. And I must admit, I'm a bit worried now especially after having owned the cars mentioned, which never demanded being driven to ASS except for a periodic maintenance.

I hope I've taken a right decision of booking a harrier.
Old 15th April 2021, 11:01   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Hello!
I hope I've taken a right decision of booking a harrier.
Please go ahead and take pentacare warranty. As per the Tata
“As compared to the initial 2-year warranty package, this product extends the timeline of the warranty package on the Harrier upto 5 years for unlimited kilometres mileage to provide complete peace of mind. This product is available for purchase at a special price of INR 25,960 within 90 days of the purchase of the SUV.
The package covers important maintenance services of the critical parts such as the engine and engine management system, air conditioning system, transmission system and gear box, fuel system and fuel pump, driver information system and many more. Additionally, any maintenance related to the malfunctioning of the clutch and suspension will now be covered up to 50,000 kms.”
greyhound82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 21:26   #847
BHPian

As someone who was once considering Harrier, I would strongly recommend going for extended warranty to reduce your risk. Even the 2020+ onward cars seem to have regular issues as reported by some owners. When you have these many reported issues in new vehicles, the odds of problems increasing when vehicles gets old is high and if you don't have any extended warranty, you will be paying from your pocket.

I have taken screenshots of few serious problems which I found although there are other niggles reported as well. I can't guarantee the authenticity of these but most of them have pictorial evidence.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot-20210416-21.06.22.png

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot-20210416-21.08.21.png

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot-20210416-21.09.31.png

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot-20210416-21.10.24.png

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot-20210416-21.11.09.png

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot-20210416-21.11.53.png

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot-20210416-21.13.36.png
Technic90 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 17:57   #848
BHPian

This issues reported seriously dent my confidence in Harrier and TATA as a brand. I was looking at it for my 10 year old wagonR replacement but this has got me thinking. Am I overthinking this ?
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 18:16   #849
BHPian

I believe Tata has to offer a better differentiator between to Harrier and the Safari rather than the current 1.2 Lacs difference (on road price XZA Plus AT models in Bangalore).

The Safari with 7 seats, EPB, all 4 discs, connected car features and what I believe is a better tuned AT box justifies the difference.

It almost feels they are trying to "desell" the Harrier and push the consumer towards the Safari.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 19:41   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
This issues reported seriously dent my confidence in Harrier and TATA as a brand. I was looking at it for my 10 year old wagonR replacement but this has got me thinking. Am I overthinking this ?
First of all, my intention in providing the screenshots is not to malign the brand but just to inform the community about some of the observation I made during my purchase decision. I used to extensively search different websites for ownership experience mainly focusing on negative aspects of every brand I was considering. Sadly not much has changed when it comes to TATA vehicles and even now within few minutes of search, I can find 3-4 new reported issues every few months which means issues are not limited to the initial batch only. I dropped the idea of Harrier due to some of these concerns,

1. Constant reports of many small niggles and few major issues (That's why extended warranty is a must)
2. TATA being new to BS6 technology like DPF and SCR
3. Incompetent service centres
4. 6-month service interval for a brand with below average service quality
5. There aren't many (or none maybe) long term (50000/1 lakh+) ownership reviews yet of new-gen TATA models.

Regarding your concern, you are absolutely not overthinking it. Peace of mind is an important part of the ownership experience. If you are expecting Maruti type of peace of mind with TATA, then don't even bother. At the same time, you will get a great build and superior ride quality. So basically it's up to the individual to decide what to compromise on. Some people are ok with frequent trips to the service centre as long as they enjoy the drive and it provides the required ride comfort while others are fine having any car which just runs without any headaches. Having said that, just like every Maruti/Toyota is not trouble-free, every TATA vehicle will not have problems.

Finally, I completely disagree with the statement that 'All modern vehicles are equally reliable' and I have enough evidence to prove it. If that was the case, Maruti won't be able to manage close to 50% market share for so many years, Gloster and Endeavour will outsell Fortuner and the same goes for Innova in its segment.
Technic90 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 12:19   #851
BHPian

Glad to be typing my first post on Team BHP. Having visited team bhp for close to 10 years, I now have the privilege of contributing to the wealth of knowledge available on this platform.

Well, coming straight to the point, I have been on the look out for a reliable, safe and spacious car recently. After having considered few options, I narrowed down to the Harrier and booked a XZA+ few days ago, here in Pune. I have been told that there would be about 1.5 month waiting for it. However, last few posts on this thread are sure a let down making me rethink.

I have a 9 year old Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI that I intend to replace the Harrier with. My experience with Skoda has been quite satisfactory to be honest. An average of 15K of maintenance expense over the 8-9 years is pretty good I would think. It has been a reliable companion all these years and the service experience has been pretty satisfactory as well. Apart from a one off engine sensor malfunction after about 2 years of ownership (covered in warranty), I haven't faced any issues with the car. The regular brake pads change, tyres change, etc. is regular wear and tear anyway.

I was hoping that the Harrier would suitably replace it in terms of reliability and it would be a much needed upgrade in terms of safety, power and space. I am now coming to doubt it on the reliability part though, which is very important too. Am I being over skeptical?
ssm2021 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 12:47   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
First of all, my intention in providing the screenshots is not to malign the brand but just to inform the community about some of the observation I made during my purchase decision. I used to extensively search different websites for ownership experience mainly focusing on negative aspects of every brand I was considering. Sadly not much has changed when it comes to TATA vehicles and even now within few minutes of search, I can find 3-4 new reported issues every few months which means issues are not limited to the initial batch only. I dropped the idea of Harrier due to some of these concerns,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm2021 View Post

I was hoping that the Harrier would suitably replace it in terms of reliability and it would be a much needed upgrade in terms of safety, power and space. I am now coming to doubt it on the reliability part though, which is very important too. Am I being over skeptical?
Dear Technic and SSM2021,

My understanding is that at the end of the day in black and white any car is still just a machine and bound to fail at certain point in time. Some fail sooner some later in their life cycle. Coming to TATAs , I think we cannot single them about on poor QC issues, there are threads here on team bhp which highligh issues on brand new VW Tiguans as well. Stories on cretas and seltos are also abound. I am not even looking at skoda stories and pages long XUV thread.

I think one must be mentally prepared to pamper his/her rides mechanically and aesthetically irrespective of the brand. After all when one loves his / her machines it loves it back.

I have made up my mind that whenever I enter the market for a new ride it will be an all heart decision. After all we all have a kid within ourselves and the heart wants what the heart wants.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2021 at 14:43. Reason: Please do not quote an entire post. Quoting a long post severely inconveniences our mobile phone readers. Thanks.
Dieseltuned is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 13:07   #853
BHPian

When I looked at the Safari alongside the Harrier. I somehow felt the Harrier is the actual design that was thought through, while the Safari is an afterthought trying to retrofit some additional features.

Safari 3rd row is only for short rides I felt. For long drives, you would need boot space for it to be practical.

The boot space on the Safari (with 3rd row folded) also seemed less although it is 20 litres more on paper. The slant bottom boot (after folding the 3rd row seats) doesn't help give a spacious perception for the boot either. Also, the Harrier has an additional 20-30 litres of space under the mat which is not accounted for in the Harrier stats, not to mention the potential additional space on top of the parcel tray (worst case scenario).
ssm2021 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 13:29   #854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Dear Technic and SSM2021,

My understanding is that at the end of the day in black and white any car is still just a machine and bound to fail at certain point in time. Some fail sooner some later in their life cycle. Coming to TATAs , I think we cannot single them about on poor QC issues, there are threads here on team bhp which highligh issues on brand new VW Tiguans as well. Stories on cretas and seltos are also abound. I am not even looking at skoda stories and pages long XUV thread.

I think one must be mentally prepared to pamper his/her rides mechanically and aesthetically irrespective of the brand. After all when one loves his / her machines it loves it back.

I have made up my mind that whenever I enter the market for a new ride it will be an all heart decision. After all we all have a kid within ourselves and the heart wants what the heart wants.
Apologies but my understanding differs slightly. If you go through most of these issues, you will realise the fact that many of these aren't minor electronic niggles only. A member on this very forum faced a crankshaft oil seal leakage issue. A crankshaft oil seal is supposed to last the life of the engine, and here it failed on a car which was less than a year old.

Secondly, this is not the first iteration of the TATA Harrier like the Mahindra Thar or the 2011 XUV that had a lot of niggles. This is the second one, launched only a year after the so called "beta" version was launched. If a company building cars for almost 3 decades cannot sort out electrical issues even after a year and a half of such reports and launching a facelift, I have nothing more to say.

And lastly, VW/Skoda comparisons are not apt in my opinion because of the fact that some of these cars and the gearboxes they use are inherently unreliable. It's a known fact. Looking at the magnitude of failures on these cars, any other car will look reliable to anyone. Doesn't necessarily mean it is. And I don't think anyone here wants Tata to stoop down to those reliability levels either.

To sum things up, I think it's time we stop being complacent and call tata out on such issues. I never see such comments on a Hyundai or VW thread. There is unbiased bashing going on there. So why discount the Harrier? And coming to your statement saying some machines fail sooner while other fail later, I would definitely be worried to see false low oil pressure warnings, a dysfunctional terrain management system, check engine lights, oil leaks and DPF issues on a 6-9 month old 20L car I just bought.

Here's a link to the thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...a-harrier.html (Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier)
vishy76 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 13:46   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm2021 View Post
The boot space on the Safari (with 3rd row folded) also seemed less although it is 20 litres more on paper. The slant bottom boot (after folding the 3rd row seats) doesn't help give a spacious perception for the boot either. Also, the Harrier has an additional 20-30 litres of space under the mat which is not accounted for in the Harrier stats, not to mention the potential additional space on top of the parcel tray (worst case scenario).
One more thing about Harrier boot vs Safari boot is the movement of luggage in safari. Without that top shelf i think it will be a bit of a hassle when things move around. See picture below. But till Harrier gets that Adventure Persona Edition, iRA app, Rear Disc, Electronic Parking brake i think the general public will go in favour of Safari. Give all this in Harrier for a price hike, i think more people will pick Harrier. It is a well rounded car.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screen-shot-20210418-1.41.14-pm.png

This video from 16:37 onwards highlights what you are trying to say
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks